Brady record against some of our favorite teams.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: Brady record against some of our favorite teams.

In response to "Re: Brady record against some of our favorite teams.":
    In Response to Re: Brady record against some of our favorite teams. : Ya, that 75 point loss kinda screwed that like I said.   That one game alone added  at least 3 pts to their average.  Minus that game they weren't as bad as it seemed and they were better in yards.(15th) Posted by pezz4pats
    Yes! Now the colts had a better defense then the Pats. You would rather have a defense that let up almost a TD more per game then our D? That is just perfect.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoolPat. Show CoolPat's posts

So, you guys are saying the defense sucked just as bad as Brady did? OK, I'll buy that. Laughing

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In Response to Re: Brady record against some of our favorite teams.:
    In response to "Re: Brady record against some of our favorite teams.": Yes! Now the colts had a better defense then the Pats. You would rather have a defense that let up almost a TD more per game then our D? That is just perfect.
    Posted by TrueChamp

I said they are better in yards. The 72 point loss to the saints screwed their  scoring average.    They were ranked better than the pats over all.  Truth!
    I said nothing about rather having them.
     PLEASE READ!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to "Re: Brady record against some of our favorite teams.":
    In Response to Re: Brady record against some of our favorite teams. : I said they are better in yards. The 72 point loss to the saints screwed their  scoring average.    They were ranked better than the pats over all.  Truth! I said nothing about rather having them.  PLEASE READ! Posted by pezz4pats
    Oh, now I see your point. Its because they lost a game by 55 pts that they are actually a better defense then the Pats. The Colts let up 24 points 13 games last year. The Patriots let up 24 points in 5 games all year. Which D was "actually better" again?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to "Re: Brady record against some of our favorite teams.": Oh, now I see your point. Its because they lost a game by 55 pts that they are actually a better defense then the Pats. The Colts let up 24 points 13 games last year. The Patriots let up 24 points in 5 games all year. Which D was "actually better" again?
    Posted by TrueChamp

Their over all ranking is better, which was my point.  NOTHING ELSE.
     Can I make it more clear than that? 
    The last place team's D was ranked better than the Pats.  Fact!
    In fact, all but one D was ranked better than the Pats.
    I am refering to the NFL TOTAL DEFENSIVE RANKINGS.  The NFL TOTAL defense ranking includes more than just POINTS.  It includes everything.
     I swear you argue just to argue.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to "Re: Brady record against some of our favorite teams.": Oh, now I see your point. Its because they lost a game by 55 pts that they are actually a better defense then the Pats. The Colts let up 24 points 13 games last year. The Patriots let up 24 points in 5 games all year. Which D was "actually better" again?
    Posted by TrueChamp

Well, we do know they didn't give up as many 1st downs as the Pats. Nobody did.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In Response to Re: Brady record against some of our favorite teams. : Ya, I am hung up on it.  But that's because I know and we should all know that yards = time and time on D, robs time from O. It also means over-all defensive deficiency, which is why it is used as the standard.  Yards also equate to points as you can't get points without getting yards.
    Posted by pezz4pats

The robs time from the O is as bogus as the yards allowed stat. Does the offense get thrown off of the field because the defense used up too much of the team's time allotment? It's not time it's the amount of possessions that count. In the SB each team had the same amount of possessions. We put points on the board 3 out of our 8 possessions. Of the other 5 we had 3 punts, an INT and a safety. The Giants had 4 punts but no turnovers.

And no I'm not placing the blame squarely on the offense as someone likes to accuse me of. It was a team loss.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: Brady record against some of our favorite teams. : The robs time from the O is as bogus as the yards allowed stat. Does the offense get thrown off of the field because the defense used up too much of the team's time allotment? It's not time it's the amount of possessions that count. In the SB each team had the same amount of possessions. We put points on the board 3 out of our 8 possessions. Of the other 5 we had 3 punts, an INT and a safety. The Giants had 4 punts but no turnovers. And no I'm not placing the blame squarely on the offense as someone likes to accuse me of. It was a team loss.
    Posted by glenr

I know this argument will go on for eternity, but I'm going to have to disagree here. I think the amount of time an offense has to work with is kind of a big deal. In fact I would say that old school coaches (Coughlin being one) probably made it a real point of emphasis to win the time of possession battle...Parcells and Belichick have made comments about it in the past. If you can keep their offense off the field, they can't score. Now this is not scientific fact, because of course some teams may be able to score quickly, but I bet most teams want/need more time to do it. And the Giants did in fact have one more possession than us...never mind more time.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In Response to Re: Brady record against some of our favorite teams. : The robs time from the O is as bogus as the yards allowed stat. Does the offense get thrown off of the field because the defense used up too much of the team's time allotment? It's not time it's the amount of possessions that count. In the SB each team had the same amount of possessions. We put points on the board 3 out of our 8 possessions. Of the other 5 we had 3 punts, an INT and a safety. The Giants had 4 punts but no turnovers. And no I'm not placing the blame squarely on the offense as someone likes to accuse me of. It was a team loss.
    Posted by glenr

If it's so bogus, why are teams beating the Pats with that very formula?

HOW TO BEAT THE PATRIOTS

PITTSBURGH — You can beat a lot of quarterbacks by rushing the hell out of them and frying apart their nerves, and you deal with others with schemes and defensive trickery and stacks of fancy blueprints.

Last Sunday at Heinz Field, the Steelers, a squirrelly 1-6 lifetime vs. Tom Brady, found another successful way to do it — by locking the poor guy in the closet and hoping nobody hears the kicks and screams.

Keep-away, the big tilt in time of possession, gives you the story. After one quarter, the chart said Steelers 13:36, Brady's Patriots 1:24. Through three quarters, it was Steelers 30:39, Brady 14:21. At the very end, it was nearly 2-to-1 in minutes, and the Steelers won 25-17. The moral of it all was: Hey, this Brady's good, but he really ain't much without that fat leather ball stuck in his hands.

"We needed to control the ball and keep their offense off the field," a decompressed Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said afterward. "We tried to control it with the pass and we were able to get it going in that fashion. That was necessary for us to be good and be on schedule with the chains."

Added S Ryan Clark: "That's the way you have to play a top quarterback — you have to keep him off the field as much as possible. (New England) scoring a low amount of points is just as much the offense's job as the defense's. Time of possession was big for us."

The final clock showed Pittsburgh with 39:22 of ball time, and a collection of drives that went for 11, 16, 10, 14 and 11 plays apiece. They hit the Patriots with some key rushes by Rashard Mendenhall (13 carries, 70 yards), but the vast bulk of the damage came from Ben Roethlisberger, who threw 50 times and connected on 36.

"You would have thought that the game plan was just dink-and-dunk," Roethlisberger said, "but that's all they really gave us. They took away the deep ball. Well, that opens up stuff for us underneath (Antonio Brown had nine catches; Mike Wallace and Heath Miller seven each). When you think of time of possession and ball control with us, it's usually running. But we can also take the short pass and screens to the wide receiver and move it that way."

The Steelers had dug out an old Patriots formula that had embarrassed them in the past and reversed it — Roethlisberger gunning on nearly every down and connecting in clusters to his tight end and wideouts. And for vast stretches of the game, all Brady could do was watch as Big Ben stacked up numbers against the shakiest secondary in football.

ProFootballWeekly

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: Brady record against some of our favorite teams. : The robs time from the O is as bogus as the yards allowed stat.
    Posted by glenr

True statement Rusty. They are exactly equally bogus in that they are not bogus at all.

Learn the game dufus. The strategy of keeping a high scoring offense off the field is as old as the game itself. It is the epitome of ball control. And the entire point of the game is to limit the yards gained because that limits the 1st downs earned which limits the opportunities for scoring. Belichick would laugh a football goof like you out of the room.

We all know the high number of interceptions by the defense during the season limited the scoring such a high number of yards allowed would normally result in. Unfortunately the defense got none of those in the Super Bowl. Learn the game dum bass.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: Brady record against some of our favorite teams. : If it's so bogus, why are teams beating the Pats with that very formula? HOW TO BEAT THE PATRIOTS PITTSBURGH — You can beat a lot of quarterbacks by rushing the hell out of them and frying apart their nerves, and you deal with others with schemes and defensive trickery and stacks of fancy blueprints. Last Sunday at Heinz Field, the Steelers, a squirrelly 1-6 lifetime vs. Tom Brady, found another successful way to do it — by locking the poor guy in the closet and hoping nobody hears the kicks and screams. Keep-away, the big tilt in time of possession, gives you the story. After one quarter, the chart said Steelers 13:36, Brady's Patriots 1:24. Through three quarters, it was Steelers 30:39, Brady 14:21. At the very end, it was nearly 2-to-1 in minutes, and the Steelers won 25-17. The moral of it all was: Hey, this Brady's good, but he really ain't much without that fat leather ball stuck in his hands. "We needed to control the ball and keep their offense off the field ," a decompressed Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said afterward. "We tried to control it with the pass and we were able to get it going in that fashion. That was necessary for us to be good and be on schedule with the chains." Added S Ryan Clark: "That's the way you have to play a top quarterback — you have to keep him off the field as much as possible. (New England) scoring a low amount of points is just as much the offense's job as the defense's. Time of possession was big for us ." The final clock showed Pittsburgh with 39:22 of ball time, and a collection of drives that went for 11, 16, 10, 14 and 11 plays apiece. They hit the Patriots with some key rushes by Rashard Mendenhall (13 carries, 70 yards), but the vast bulk of the damage came from Ben Roethlisberger, who threw 50 times and connected on 36. "You would have thought that the game plan was just dink-and-dunk," Roethlisberger said, "but that's all they really gave us. They took away the deep ball. Well, that opens up stuff for us underneath (Antonio Brown had nine catches; Mike Wallace and Heath Miller seven each). When you think of time of possession and ball control with us, it's usually running. But we can also take the short pass and screens to the wide receiver and move it that way." The Steelers had dug out an old Patriots formula that had embarrassed them in the past and reversed it — Roethlisberger gunning on nearly every down and connecting in clusters to his tight end and wideouts. And for vast stretches of the game, all Brady could do was watch as Big Ben stacked up numbers against the shakiest secondary in football. ProFootballWeekly
    Posted by pezz4pats

Pretty much carbon copies of each other regarding the Steelers' game and the Giants in the SB.

Same thing: Brady put up a 100+ PR (up to hail mary drive in SB) with 2 TDs, RBs couldn't average even 4 yac, D has less than NFL average turnovers never mind their own average, opposing QB hits 70%+ of passes, D allows 25+ 1st downs, D allows around 400 yards, D not getting off the field limits number of drives in game severaly.

The Giants played the crappy Pats' D like a fiddle, just as the Steelers did.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: Brady record against some of our favorite teams. :  TOP is a big deal and you get it by balance on offense.
    Posted by Dusty Bottoms

Okay bright boy. Source your "fact".

BR passed 50 times in the game mentioned and they controlled the ball 39 minutes. There's a couple of actual facts for you bonehead.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Just look at what happened when NE traded Moss and how they didn't use him in the second half of the Miami game in Week 4 of 2010.  That's proof x 1000.
    Posted by Dusty Bottoms

That's your proof? x1000? Seek help. Though I strongly suspect you are already getting it. Newsflash: it's not working.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: Brady record against some of our favorite teams. : Their over all ranking is better, which was my point.  NOTHING ELSE.  Can I make it more clear than that?  The last place team's D was ranked better than the Pats.  Fact! In fact, all but one D was ranked better than the Pats. I am refering to the NFL TOTAL DEFENSIVE RANKINGS.  The NFL TOTAL defense ranking includes more than just POINTS.  It includes everything.  I swear you argue just to argue.
    Posted by pezz4pats

I will call out any fan who says that "last years, last place colts teams D was better then the one the Pats brought to the SB".

Especially when you take it one step further by saying they weren't as bad as they looked becuase they got beat by 72 points(which didn't happen) and suggesting that the 1 blow out to N.O was the reason their ppg allowed was so bad.

It wasn't.

I felt the need to expose that ridiculous statement by showing you that the colts let up 24 or over in 13 games while the Pats did so only 5 games. So who's defense was "better" again?

Don't believe the hype people.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

By comparison, take every game in 2011 where Brady threw more than 40 times and I bet we lost the TOP.  lmao Without even me checking this on my own, I bet I am right.
    Posted by Dusty Bottoms

We're sure you didn't check first. Because you're such an honest guy, right? LMAO@U!

I didn't check this either, pffft, but....

I bet every time in 2011 that Brady threw 40 times or more, we either won, or the defense allowed the losing points to be scored with less than a minute to play.

Top that bonehead.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

I suppose I could present the balanced 2010 offense and how they won most of those TOP battles, leading to victories. I would argue not turning it over and winning TOP, via a balanced offense, puts you in position to win up to 90% of your games, simply based on watching this organization's formula for winning through the years. But, you pull the box scores from 2010. I've already done all that in a myriad of other threads on these topics. Just look at what happened when NE traded Moss and how they didn't use him in the second half of the Miami game in Week 4 of 2010.  That's proof x 1000. Brady went from throwing 40+ times per game, adding in an INT or 2 and we'd see a sputtering offense, to BJGE getting carries, the new TEs creating new problems and Woodhead as a change of pace back to help out as well. These are facts, but feel free to list every TOP from Week 5 through Week 17 in 2010, and I'd bet dollars to donuts we won most of those. By comparison, take every game in 2011 where Brady threw more than 40 times and I bet we lost the TOP.  lmao Without even me checking this on my own, I bet I am right.
    Posted by Dusty Bottoms

Look again, the Pats  Defensive Top in 2010 was 22nd, and not much better than 2011. The actual difference was  .25 or 1/4th of a minute. (15 seconds) 
    Throwing the ball more is a way to counter the loss of Top by trying to score in the quickest, most efficient manor.  Most times it works and sometimes it doesn't.    More often than not, it is a result of being behind or not having a secure enough lead.
    Teams rush more when they are secure in their lead, they pass more when they are not,  FACT!
    Fans of the game understand this basic concept.  Apparently, people with an agenda do not.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In Response to Re: Brady record against some of our favorite teams. : I will call out any fan who says that " last years, last place colts teams D was better then the one the Pats brought to the SB" . Especially when you take it one step further by saying they weren't as bad as they looked becuase they got beat by 72 points(which didn't happen) and suggesting that the 1 blow out to N.O was the reason their ppg allowed was so bad. It wasn't. I felt the need to expose that ridiculous statement by showing you that the colts let up 24 or over in 13 games while the Pats did so only 5 games. So who's defense was "better" again? Don't believe the hype people.
    Posted by TrueChamp

The clots TOTAL DEFENSIVE RANKING  (25th) was better than the Pats TOTAL DEFENSIVE ranking (31st).  Get over it. You lose.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

So, you are afraid to to take my challenge, we see?  Not a shock. lmao You're such a weak person. You ask me, I tell you what to do, and you spend more time trying to wildly deflect from the premise by not simply pulling up the box scores.  If you truly wanted to debunk the premise and win, you'd counter by pulling up the box scores I just suggested, showing 2010 TOP and 2011's. Tell you what, dillspank: I'll dig this stuff up later sometime and start a thread laying out the TOP numbers from 2010 from Week 5-17 and in 2011. PS How could I check when I just responded on the fly to your boneheaded comments? Some of us actually working during the day, unlike yourself.  So, what's for lunch today besides the chocolate Ensure?
    Posted by Dusty Bottoms

Read it and weep, Mr. 40 passes or more is an issue troll.

Every time in 2011 that Brady threw 40 times or more, we either won, or the defense allowed the losing points to be scored with less than a minute to play.

I like that so much I think I'll make it my sig.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: Brady record against some of our favorite teams. : The clots TOTAL DEFENSIVE RANKING was better than the Pats TOTAL DEFENSIVE ranking.  Get over it. You lose.
    Posted by pezz4pats

Losing has never stopped him the one million times before.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

No, no, no. Pull it up game by game, don't take the average. That doesn't tell you much because there are games where Brady threw 40+ times and we scored quickly (Chicago in 2010 is an obvious choice). POST THE 2010 Week 5-17 TOPs in order, please. Mr. Lazy and scared. You're the one challenging it. I can tell you right now, we got blasted in the SD game in TOP and you know why? We had just traded Moss and got Branch back. That was early in the go. But, once we got back home and played Minny, it was on. The balance started then and right into the Baltimore game and beyond. Post the rest, professor.
    Posted by Dusty Bottoms

Once again, throwing more is a RESULT of losing Top and being behind or not secure in your lead.  It is not the cause of it.  It is a way to overcome it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

TOP by game over past two seasons (had to compile this by hand, so I can't vouch for it being completely error free).  Odd, isn't it, that in 2003 our third best game from a TOP perspective was the playoff loss to the Jets with Brady throwing 45 times and BJGE running only 9 times?

NE OPP DIF PASS BJGE  
    CIN 0:28:10 0:31:50 -0:03:40 35 5  
    NYJ 0:27:28 0:32:32 -0:05:04 36 10  
    BUF 0:32:12 0:27:48 0:04:24 27 16  
    MIA 0:27:43 0:32:17 -0:04:34 24 16  
    BAL 0:32:50 0:40:14 -0:07:24 44 10  
    SD 0:25:35 0:34:25 -0:08:50 32 11  
    MIN 0:24:52 0:35:08 -0:10:16 27 17  
    CLE 0:21:52 0:38:08 -0:16:16 36 9  
    PIT 0:31:28 0:28:32 0:02:56 43 18  
    IND 0:30:39 0:29:21 0:01:18 25 21  
    DET 0:28:55 0:31:05 -0:02:10 27 12