Brady suddenly struggling in Pats’ biggest games

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Re: Brady suddenly struggling in Pats’ biggest games

In Response to Re: Brady suddenly struggling in Pats’ biggest games:
    [QUOTE]Do the Patriots have a game plan that anticipates the scenario of Brady struggling with the passing game?
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii[/QUOTE]

I think the need to step back to the cause.

Do the PAtriots have a game plan or alternate game plan that assumes the Giants are going to try and rip Bradys head off every play?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brady suddenly struggling in Pats’ biggest games : This is the truth. . Let me take that back..they actually have solved it, they have a max protect look that can turn into a 5 receiver set after the snap. they have a delayed run off the shotgun that works well. They have great play action from under center that can actually be a real run sometimes! They have an o-line that can protect better than 2007. The question is..are they willing to pound the NYG defense with the run, use screens, run under center until they force NY out of their pressure game plan?  Then when the Giants sneak back into their pressure defense go BACK to the many tricks they have to defeat this? They often only do this early in games and then go shotgun the rest of the time.
    Posted by patsbandwagonsince76[/QUOTE]

well, that's only half the puzzle. In a close game, will THIS defense make a stop when we REALLY, REALLY need for it to?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brady suddenly struggling in Pats’ biggest games : well, that's only half the puzzle. In a close game, will THIS defense make a stop when we REALLY, REALLY need for it to?
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii[/QUOTE]

I have full trust in the defense. They kept them in the Ravens game, I know it was close but the Ravens essentially had the ball most of the last 7:30 and did not score.

Even midway through the season the D kept them in against the Giants when the offense started the game:

punt
    punt
    interception
    punt
    punt
    fg no good
    interception

Granted they did let that last drive happen, but that was a shadow of the defense that is on the field right now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brady suddenly struggling in Pats’ biggest games : I have full trust in the defense. They kept them in the Ravens game, I know it was close but the Ravens essentially had the ball most of the last 7:30 and did not score. Even midway through the season the D kept them in against the Giants when the offense started the game: punt punt interception punt punt fg no good interception Granted they did let that last drive happen, but that was a shadow of the defense that is on the field right now.
    Posted by patsbandwagonsince76[/QUOTE]

I agree they've gotten better since the beginning of the season; especially with the revolving door policy for the secondary. Still not convinced about us needing a stop against a team that is good offensively and has a good pass rush.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

All the buttholes in the world can say what they want about who will win. Truth is, nobody knows. The team that plays the best will win, unless the refs get too involved.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

In response to "Re: Brady suddenly struggling in Pats’ biggest games": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brady suddenly struggling in Pats’ biggest games : Pop quiz about QB play last weekend: Which quarterback led the most scoring drives this past weekend?  Which led his team to the most points?  Which QB got none of those points as a reult of a turnover by the other team (deep in its own territory)?  Which QB answered every opponent score with a go ahead score? The answer to all these is Brady.  While he was imperfect, he still did more to lead his team to win than any other QB.  Eli - he had twelve drives end in punts and downs.  TWELVE!  Brady had two drives end in punts, and two in picks.  In my book, twelve scoreless drives is worse than four, regardless of how they end.  Smith - he couldn't take advantage of all those punts, countering with ten punts of their own.  Flacco - 5 drives ended on downs/punts, and 1 pick, and 1 score aided by turnover. Some coach jockey telling the greatest winner of the SB era how to prepare for a game is laughable.  Posted by Encinitas[/QUOTE] TKO! Add that Tom's Kamakaze TD was the gutsiest single play in the game. Please don't shidbag on TB it makes you seem insane.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

The D played well in the first and fourth quarters, but struggled in the 2nd and 3rd and then almost blew it again on the last drive in the fourth.  What I thought was most promising about the D was the play of the line. Wilfork was a monster. Strong play from our front seven is really important in this game.  We can't let Manning get out of the pocket or have too much time to throw.  And we need to stay stout against the run. 

In the end, though, the offense has to be good because I don't think this is a defense that can hold opponents to much less than 20 points.  Even Flacco was able to rack up more than 300 yards against our D...that's much higher than his season average. I expect Eli to do pretty well too.  Not that I won't be happy if Eli lays an egg, but I don't think you can game plan assuming the defense is going to hold the Giants to only two or three scores. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]Umm, no. Brady almost blew it, not the D. Brady. Do not change facts and reality and expect not to be called out.
    Posted by RustyGriswold[/QUOTE]

The D gave up 14 points in the middle of the game on two 80 yard drives to give the lead to the Ravens. Brady then led an 11 play 63 yard touchdown drive to get it back for good.  I guess those aren't facts in your confused head.  But in the real world, they are . . . 

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brady suddenly struggling in Pats’ biggest games : Chris, we all remember the photo of Brady in Manhattan with the walking boot on.  But it was broad daylight.  If he was out clubbing the night before the Super Bowl that would be a bit over the top . . . but I've seen no evidence that he was.  If he was out late at night one evening a week before the Super Bowl, well I'm not sure that's such a big deal. Listening to you and Rusty, you'd think Brady were some kind of slouch. That's absurd.  Brady isn't a choker.  It's just that the defenses we've faced in the playoffs have matched up well against our offense's strengths . . .  and our defense, while okay, tends to give up big drives at inopportune times.  
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

I never said he was out the night before the SB42.  In fact, I think it is pretty clear that he was not out the night before, but the week before.  You missed the point, or never read my post, or never read the linked story, or never had a sprain, or just are not thinking clearly.  So I will make it simple...really simple: 
    Brady sprains ankle in AFCC in 2008. 

Less than a week later, he is out clubbing on said sprained ankle. 

Brady lays an egg in the Super Bowl eight days later, still nursing a gimpy ankle, unable to evade the Giant's pass rushers.

Thus we can conclude, Brady foolishly impeded the healing of his anke sprain to go clubbing with friends and G/F before the biggest game he will ever have - the biggest game any NFL QB will ever have in our lifetimes - and loses the game with a poor performance. 

Do you need me to spell it out more?  OK, but if I am going to go through it one more time with you, at least shut off your the nitrous oxide tank. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

i expect that they play an 11 or 12 possession game. in that scenario, i expect the d to keep the giants from scoring on about 6 possessions. the pats would have to score at least 27 to win.

the o should be more than capable of scoring that. i believe the o would have failed if they do not score at least 26.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brady suddenly struggling in Pats’ biggest games : Rus, You should know this better than any one as you are a smart poster. QB ratings are a way to rate the QB but not necessarily indicative of his play. Percentage of completions per attempt Average yards gained per attempt Percentage of touchdown passes per attempt Percentage of interceptions per attempt Percentage of completions can be determined by many factors, to include: dropped passes, batted away passes, receivers being interfered with, wrong routes by receivers, receivers falling down, QB pressures, ect...ect...ect Average yards gained also is on receivers, although it's his job to put them in a place to succeed, it doesn't always happen that way. percentage of Tds/attempt determined by game plan and receivers.  (ie, they chose to run in tds instead of passing because opponent doesn't allow many passing TDs) Interceptions are often  (not always) tipped passes and just good defensive play. If in the Bronco game, Gronk doesn't make that diving catch or Dion doesn't push off on the defender to score or if Wes.... Brady's PR goes down. In the Jest came, if there weren't 2 dropped passes in the EZ or a muffed hand off , Brady's rating goes up.  The outcome of the game is also usually determined the same way. In other words: "it takes a village."
    Posted by pezz4pats[/QUOTE]

Sorry Pezz, but you and others here are staring at a camel and saying, "See, it's a horse, just like we said it was." 

You are massaging your argument.  Yeah, QB rating can sometimes be misleading, but it was not last week.  Brady stunk.  He really, really stunk.  He said he stunk.  BB knew he stunk.  Kraft admitted Brady stunk.  Why can't you guys get your blinkers off and wrap your minds around the obvious? 

Brady has a problem with being inconsistent in big games, especially against fast pass rushes, even with wide-open receivers.  He has been freezing in shock.  Or he has been throwing ridiculous INTs, like Peyton does in big games.  It is no accident that everybody is talking about how hard it is to rattle Eli...because they are subliminaly think of Brady getting rattled when they talk about Eli's play-off calm.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

BTW, when I found that link, it was titled under, "Brady seen clubbing in Manhattan."  If the appropriate link inside the link expired, or whatever, I am telling you, I read the story four years ago - with shock and anger.  Just because I am not finding the best links does not mean it was not reported.  It was. I would think people here would realize that links expire or get corrupted. Brady clubbing the week before the SB42 with his sprain was even discussed on this very board.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brady suddenly struggling in Pats’ biggest games : Oh, the horror!  14 points after Brady INTs and stalled offensive movement.  Line up and shoot the D! You're a joke with this. There isn't one normal Pats fan alive that hasn't acknolwedged the D bailed Brady out again last week. Not one.
    Posted by RustyGriswold[/QUOTE]

Once again, you have a weak grasp on the actual facts.  The first 80-yard touchdown drive given up by the defense was immediately after the Pats completed a 75 yard drive for a touchdown. The offense then scored again (a field goal this time) on a 63 yard drive following the defense giving up the touchdown.  In the thrid quarter, the offense began with a 74 yard drive resulting in a field goal and the defense promptly gave up another 80 yard drive for a touchdown.  Brady's intereceptions had nothing to do with these two scores in the middle of the game.  The first drive in particular was bad, the defense giving up two long passes to Flacco.  In the second drive the defense had a third and 11 and a third and 8 and both times couldn't hold the Ravens.  

I'm not expecting the defense to be perfect, but to claim that the D is "bailing out" a bad offense is preposterous.  

1st and 10 at BAL 20J.Flacco pass deep left to L.Evans to BLT 40 for 20 yards (K.Arrington).  
    1st and 10 at BAL 40R.Williams left tackle to BLT 45 for 5 yards (G.Warren; J.Ihedigbo).  
    2nd and 5 at BAL 45J.Flacco pass deep left to A.Boldin to NE 18 for 37 yards (J.Mayo).  
    1st and 10 at NE 18R.Rice right tackle to NE 11 for 7 yards (J.Mayo; J.Ihedigbo).  
    2nd and 3 at NE 11R.Rice up the middle to NE 9 for 2 yards (B.Spikes; K.Love). measurement  
    3rd and 1 at NE 9R.Rice right guard to NE 8 for 1 yard (P.Chung; J.Ihedigbo). measurement  
    1st and 8 at NE 8R.Rice up the middle to NE 6 for 2 yards (J.Ihedigbo; V.Wilfork).  
    2nd and 6 at NE 6(Shotgun) J.Flacco pass short right to D.Pitta for 6 yards, TOUCHDOWN.910
     B.Cundiff extra point is GOOD, Center-M.Cox, Holder-S.Koch. PENALTY on NE, Defensive 12 On-field, 5 yards, enforced between downs.1010
     B.Cundiff kicks 67 yards from BLT 40 to NE -7. D.Woodhead, Touchback.

DRIVE TOTALS: BAL 10, NE 10, 8 plays, 80 yards, 4:32 elapsed
    1st and 10 at BAL 22J.Flacco pass short left to E.Dickson pushed ob at BLT 29 for 7 yards (R.Ninkovich).  
    2nd and 3 at BAL 29R.Rice left end pushed ob at BLT 41 for 12 yards (J.Ihedigbo).  
    1st and 10 at BAL 41R.Rice left guard to BLT 45 for 4 yards (P.Chung; R.Ninkovich).  
    2nd and 11 at BAL 40(Shotgun) J.Flacco pass incomplete short middle to R.Rice.  
    3rd and 11 at BAL 40(Shotgun) J.Flacco pass short right to L.Evans to NE 47 for 13 yards (S.Moore).  
    1st and 10 at NE 47R.Rice right tackle to NE 43 for 4 yards (B.Spikes).  
    2nd and 6 at NE 43J.Flacco pass incomplete short left to V.Leach.  
    3rd and 6 at NE 43(Shotgun) J.Flacco pass short left to D.Pitta to NE 35 for 8 yards (A.Molden).  
    1st and 10 at NE 35J.Flacco scrambles right end ran ob at NE 31 for 4 yards.  
    2nd and 6 at NE 31R.Williams left tackle to NE 29 for 2 yards (B.Spikes; R.Ninkovich).  
    3rd and 4 at NE 29(Shotgun) J.Flacco pass short right to T.Smith for 29 yards, TOUCHDOWN. The Replay Assistant challenged the runner was in bounds ruling, and the play was Upheld.1616
     B.Cundiff extra point is GOOD, Center-M.Cox, Holder-S.Koch.1716
     B.Cundiff kicks 69 yards from BLT 35 to NE -4. D.Woodhead to NE 31 for 35 yards (L.Williams). FUMBLES (L.Williams), RECOVERED by BLT-E.Cook at NE 28.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brady suddenly struggling in Pats’ biggest games : I never sadi he was out the night before the SB42.  In fact, i think it is pretty clear that he was not out the night before, but the week before.  You missed the point, or never read my post, or never read the linked story, or never had a sprain, or just are not thinking clearly.  So I will make it simple...really simple:  Brady sprains ankle in AFCC in 2008.  Less than a week later, he is out clubbing on said sprained ankle.  Brady lays an egg in the Super Bowl eight days later, still nursing a gimpy ankle, unable to evade the Giant's pass rushers. Thus we can conclude, Brady foolishly impeded the healing of his anke sprain to go clubbing with friends and G/F before the biggest game he will ever have - the biggest game any NFL QB will ever have in our lifetimes - and loses the game with a poor performance.  Do you need me to spell it out more?  OK, but if I am going to go through it one more time with you, at least shut off your the nitrous oxide tank. 
    Posted by chrisakawoody[/QUOTE]

You're speculating that Brady's night out a week in advance of the Super Bowl made his ankle worse.  You, of course, don't know that.  But hey, why not whine about it and blame Brady for not taking his responsibilities seriously enough.  Yeah, Brady's ankle probably didn't help him, but you have no idea at all whether that ankle injury was aggravated .  . unless you are his doctor.  You're just speculating and acting like your speculation is fact. 

The reality is the Giants pass rush was ferocious and Brady even if he were fully healthy may have struggled with it.  I think there are a lot of football reasons why the Pats have struggled in the playoffs (mostly related to weaknesses in our own team and strengths in our opponents teams). Claiming that Brady didn't take the big game seriously seems to me like a huge stretch.  But apparently among the most spoiled fans in the world that's all the rage -- blame Brady . . . he's a choker in big games who wears Uggs . . .  

I suggest rooting for the Jets . . .   

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

yes, brady's struggles had absolutely zero to do with the type of teams he faced. Nope, no sirree...It was solely Brady's fault and absolutely noone else's.....

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.