Brady the true MVP?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Brady the true MVP?

Brees didn't have his security blanket, a dome.

Rodger pulls a Peyton and can't find his swagger after coasting into the playoffs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Re: Brady the true MVP?

You could make the case every year that the SB champion should win the MVP. Brady didn't win the SB last year so does that mean he's not the MVP. It's a regular season award, Rogers will get it, and I have no problem with that. He was great in the regular season. I heard somewhere once that a league MVP hasn't won the SB in like 25 years.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

GRONK should win the designated QB trophy

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Regular season award.

If Brady loses next week are you going to make Suggs the MVP?

Rodgers is the MVP

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

It's just funny how people gave TB no love and were coddling Rodgers and Brees all year and look what happens, its thrown out the window.

I voted for Gronk he truly deserves more than anyone else. I am tired of the obsession with QB's. Might as well just have QB MVP and everyone else MVP awards at this point in the NFL.

[QUOTE]Regular season award. If Brady loses next week are you going to make Suggs the MVP? Rodgers is the MVP
    Posted by dapats1281[/QUOTE]
    I voted Gronk and have held this notion since around week 10 or 11, the title just works better to compare QB's.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Yeah it was kind of silly, TB, Brees, and Rogers really had nearly identical seasons with nearly identical defenses but there was considerable fawning over the other two for what amounts to a marginal statistical difference. I think it's just after 12 years of Brady the media needs new things to keep their attention and the same old players putting up the same old amazing numbers just aren't very exciting.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Tough choice for me between Rogers and Gronk.  I picked Rogers because - of course -  QBs usually have the greatest impact in games, week in, week out.  But still tough.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/01/15/aaron-rodgers-the-nfl-s-best-quarterback-of-all-time.html
    That is a laughable article. The article is as dumb as the writer looks.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

I saw the title in the link and decided to save three minutes of my life.  Thanks for the heads up, though.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

I voted Brady because of how he NEEDED to carry the team with superior offensive play.  Rodgers when it came to a game in which he had to step up, like today, failed miserably.  This is the one thing people wanted to see in Rodgers, how he would perform in the clutch when needed.  But, regular season rules and the Packers were 15 - 1, but, wouldn't surprise me Brees slips in.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

In Response to Re: Brady the true MVP?:
    [QUOTE]http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/01/15/aaron-rodgers-the-nfl-s-best-quarterback-of-all-time.html That is a laughable article. The article is as dumb as the writer looks.
    Posted by nomadfan[/QUOTE]

Wow - you can't even say he's going to be a HOF'er yet, but he's the best all time?  Laughable.  One bad knee injury, or a series of concussions could end a QB's career in a second.  Hey, Rogers is a terrific QB, and if we didn't have TB, I'd take Rogers (over Brees) in a New England second.  But best evah?  Nah - hyperpole.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

The MVP is a regular season award. Rodgers consistently played the best football, put up the best record, had the best TD to INT ratio, and still had a ridiculous amount of yards and TDs. I can understand why Brady and Brees are involved in the discussions, but Rodgers is the MVP of the regular season.

And there is no way Gronk gets it as the MVP is now a QB award. Might as well just make it football's version of the Cy Young.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from IraqSteve. Show IraqSteve's posts

I honestly don't have a problem with Rogers or Brees getting it - at this point, I dont care - I just want the Pats to win another SB.

Hey, what was up with the 1st and goal Sat night and running the ball 3 times?  Thought maybe they would let Brady go for the 7 TD record?  I know BB is friends with Fox - think that had anything to do with it?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I picked Brady because I'm a homer.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

I was a little disappointed that Brady didn't get the record, but I can understand why he might not have wanted to. With the game already won, there is no reason to risk Brady getting hit hard at the goal line. Run the ball, run down the clock, and limit cheap shots from angry players like Miller. Also, Brady breaking the record would have put an even bigger target on the Patriots for running up the score trying to set records. I just hope Hernandez is good and everyone is ready to go.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from IraqSteve. Show IraqSteve's posts

I cant wait for this game Sunday.  I'm actually flying out of Afghan today... I have to be at SOCOM (Tampa, FL) for training next week!!  I am flying home to Hononlulu today then fly out of there Sat night and arrive Tampa Sunday - it was originally 3pm I arrive - I just changed my ticket last night so I arrive at 1pm now...  I got 2 hours to get my rental car and get to my hotel until the game starts...

Also, when I am finished at Tampa, I fly home (honolulu) Feb 4th, and I only have the 5th off before I fly back to Afghan on Monday... how cool would that be if the Pats are in fact in the SB and I get that one day to watch before I head back to this butthole of a country? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

That would be awesome. I have multiple family members that have been over to Iraq and Afghanistan. Luckily, they have all been able to stay safe so far so I wish you the same! Thanks for your service.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

[QUOTE]The MVP is a regular season award. Rodgers consistently played the best football, put up the best record, had the best TD to INT ratio, and still had a ridiculous amount of yards and TDs. I can understand why Brady and Brees are involved in the discussions, but Rodgers is the MVP of the regular season. And there is no way Gronk gets it as the MVP is now a QB award. Might as well just make it football's version of the Cy Young.
    Posted by magicalhobo[/QUOTE]

You are right in that Rodgers should win it hands down. It has become a qb award recently (though I can recall 3 RB's winning it in the past decade) because rule changes make the QB's even more important than ever. Even in the 70's and 80's the QB's won the majority of the Awards. Defensive stats are not "sexy" like QBR, TD's, Passing Yardage etc. Often times the leader in "sacks" is on a bad team. Rarely are the top QB's on a bad team.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/01/15/aaron-rodgers-the-nfl-s-best-quarterback-of-all-time.html That is a laughable article. The article is as dumb as the writer looks.
    Posted by nomadfan[/QUOTE]

Most laughable quote: "[Rogers] has had a four year run like no other QB in history."

Rogers' last four seasons:  
    17037 yards, 131 TDs, 37 INT, 65.5%, 105.0 rating

Brady's last four seasons:
    18415, 153 TDs, 37 INT, 66.5%, 107.3 rating

So, um, yeah, Rogers has had four seasons unlike any other, just not the best four season stretch in NFL history. 

To be honest, he isn't even second best, both Manning (105.5) and Steve Young (106.7) have had four year stretches that were superior. Though you could argue that Mannings is less impressive simply because he plays in a dome where passers enjoy a statistical advantage.  

Rogers is great, that is for sure. Let's hold off the coronations till later. simply put, he wasn't the best player on his team last night, and his mistakes (mostly missing wide open WRs) cost them. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mighty2012. Show mighty2012's posts

Brees' dome games this season:  12

Brady:  0

Brady all the way.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I'd have to give it to Brees.  The guy set the all time yards mark, breaking Marino's record.  Voters like record setters more than QB ratings.  Brees is now the only QB to ever throw for more than 5,000 yards in two seasons.  He didn't get it that last time and to not give it to him this year would be a crime. 

I don't want Brady getting it and along with it, the curse.  As for it being a QB only award, yes and no.  It's basically a QB/RB award with an occasional WR thrown in.  The last time a non QB/RB/WR won it was 1986.

2006  LaDainian Tomlinson
    2005  Shaun Alexander
    2001  Marshall Faulk shared it with Kurt Warner
    2000  Marshall Faulk
    1998  Terrell Davis
    1997  Barry Sanders shared it with Brett Favre
    1993  Emmitt Smith
    1991  Thurman Thomas
    1990  Jerry Rice shared it with Randall Cunningham and Joe Montana
    1988  Roger Craig shares with Boomer Esiason and Randall Cunningham
    1987  Jerry Rice and John Elway
    1986  Lawrence Taylor and Phil Simms

Maybe Gronk should share it with Brees but then again, do we want to be jinxed.  Let Jimmy Graham and Brees have it and we'll settle for Lombardi.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]I cant wait for this game Sunday.  I'm actually flying out of Afghan today... I have to be at SOCOM (Tampa, FL) for training next week!!  I am flying home to Hononlulu today then fly out of there Sat night and arrive Tampa Sunday - it was originally 3pm I arrive - I just changed my ticket last night so I arrive at 1pm now...  I got 2 hours to get my rental car and get to my hotel until the game starts... Also, when I am finished at Tampa, I fly home (honolulu) Feb 4th, and I only have the 5th off before I fly back to Afghan on Monday... how cool would that be if the Pats are in fact in the SB and I get that one day to watch before I head back to this butthole of a country? 
    Posted by IraqSteve[/QUOTE]
    Welcome back and THANKS for your service, safe flight.  My nephew, a Lt. in the Marines, just arrived in Afghanstan this month. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to "Re: Brady the true MVP?": [QUOTE]I'd have to give it to Brees.  The guy set the all time yards mark, breaking Marino's record.  Voters like record setters more than QB ratings.  Brees is now the only QB to ever throw for more than 5,000 yards in two seasons.  He didn't get it that last time and to not give it to him this year would be a crime.  I don't want Brady getting it and along with it, the curse.  As for it being a QB only award, yes and no.  It's basically a QB/RB award with an occasional WR thrown in.  The last time a non QB/RB/WR won it was 1986. 2006  LaDainian Tomlinson 2005  Shaun Alexander 2001  Marshall Faulk shared it with Kurt Warner 2000  Marshall Faulk 1998  Terrell Davis 1997  Barry Sanders shared it with Brett Favre 1993  Emmitt Smith 1991  Thurman Thomas 1990  Jerry Rice shared it with Randall Cunningham and Joe Montana 1988  Roger Craig shares with Boomer Esiason and Randall Cunningham 1987  Jerry Rice and John Elway 1986  Lawrence Taylor and Phil Simms Maybe Gronk should share it with Brees but then again, do we want to be jinxed.  Let Jimmy Graham and Brees have it and we'll settle for Lombardi. Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE] It has to be the least impressive record broken in NFL history. I feel bad for Marino, that record stood for so long it deserved to be broken by a real QB trying to win games- which is how it was set. Not by some stat padding, dome QB who throws the ball 700 times a year. The Saints played 11 games in a dome, that gotta be some sort of record. He throws the fifth most pass attempts in NFL history. Marino threw 100 less passes. In fact out of all the seasons in NFL history Brees has 4 of the top 9 highest attempted seasons. The Guys good but efficiency wise, YPA, INT, all that he's not at the top. He simply throws the ball more than anyone else, I have no doubt that if Brady or Rogers or Schaub, or several other QBs threw the ball as much as him under the current rules they would have owned that record. When Manning was breaking records in 04 and Brady in 07 it was a huge deal and they were trying to win. Brees wasn't even the best QB this year, his team was a 3 seed. As far as I'm concerned Brees and Sean Payton are an embarrassment to to the NFL. They make a mockery out of these games and act like if Brees throws for enough yards than he'll be some historically great QB. He's not, and I hope he never gets awarded an MVP for his pathetic attempts to be an all time great.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mighty2012. Show mighty2012's posts

[QUOTE]As far as I'm concerned Brees and Sean Payton are an embarrassment to to the NFL. They make a mockery out of these games and act like if Brees throws for enough yards than he'll be some historically great QB. He's not, and I hope he never gets awarded an MVP for his pathetic attempts to be an all time great.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

Preach it!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Gronkowski is the best player in the NFL.  It probably won't get him the MVP award - but he is the best player in the NFL.

Sections
Shortcuts