Brady to Ocho: Book it

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: Brady to Ocho: Book it

The deep ball has seemed to the way of the ghost this year. A few shots Downfield with mixed success. You can point to the first game when slater caught a deep pass from Brady. We haven't seen him since. Why not? That was a play specifically designed for slater, why not Ocho? There is also vereen still hanging around. Why not ir him? He's been very limited. I don't think BB or oB unleash these guys or should, but sprinkling them in will certainly keep defenses guessing. I don't like the fact our o I'd somewhat predictable. It goes through Wes and Gronk, Hern when they are covered. This is a perfect time to design some plays for Ocho, branch and Edelman. I hope we see some on Saturday.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In Response to Re: Brady to Ocho: Book it:
    In Response to Re: Brady to Ocho: Book it : Yes Crusty and I would add the two laziest players on the Pats this year are Hanysworth(yes gone duh) then Brady,I would really be suprised that he does not work partime at the post office. Pats have top 3.Oline, recievers, running backs and a Quarterback who  can and will play a whole game not breaking into a sweat .
    Posted by Mybologna

Did I read this right?  Brady is LAZY???!!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

let's be honest.  brady's not got the greatest touch on deep balls
    Posted by fatsam72

I guess you missed the 2007 season....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In Response to Re: Brady to Ocho: Book it : Did I read this right?  Brady is LAZY???!!!!
    Posted by agcsbill

Apparently he doesn't "put in the time to develop young wideouts" as evidenced by Taylor Price, Chad Jackson and Brandon Tate becoming pro bowlers after leaving NE.  Oh wait...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In Response to Re: Brady to Ocho: Book it : Apparently he doesn't "put in the time to develop young wideouts" as evidenced by Taylor Price, Chad Jackson and Brandon Tate becoming pro bowlers after leaving NE.  Oh wait...
    Posted by pcmIV

Oh, OK.. didn't know Brady has to run the routes and catch the ball with these young receivers.  He can coach them all he wants, but next to putting the "perfect" throw into their hands, they need to step up, too!!

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fatsam72. Show fatsam72's posts

I guess you missed the 2007 season....

nope, not a minute of it.  which is the luxury moss gave the team. brady could just wing it.  And when you let it fly, you get better results, which you know if you ever pitched or played QB. 

Now it feels like he tries to aim the ball, which never turns out well.

like I said, let's be honest... When he rares back and throws it, are you really thinking "hoo boy, we got a big completion coming"?  I'm not.

btw, changed my avatar bc I believe in the magic of this season; so i'm not trying to p1ss on anyone's parade...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In Response to Re: Brady to Ocho: Book it : The problem with that is, everyone knows that. Our offense needs to find ways to get defenses out of their lone approach on D which is the blueprint that the Jets laid down last January, and to some degree what the gameplans have been in SB 42 and beyond, tracing bck to late 2007 with Jim Johnson's Eagles D. Why not do something else they don't expect? Why pigeon hole ourselves with gameplans and plays called during a game, playing into the opponent's only hope of slowing this offense down? It's pass rush, stunt and drop 7 or 8 into coverage in man, being physical at the line. Why play into that?
    Posted by RidingWithTheKingII

This offense is completely different than the 2007 offense and frankly I think it is much different than the 2010 offense because Gronk and Hernandez have both taken their games to the next level and Hernandez is healthy.  The only "blueprint" that can slow down this offense from what I've seen this year is an effective pass rush.  Throwing the deep ball isn't going to help if the O-line cannot hold up.  I'm all for NE mixing it up, but I don't think you need the deep ball to do that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

In Response to Re: Brady to Ocho: Book it : The problem with that is, everyone knows that. Our offense needs to find ways to get defenses out of their lone approach on D which is the blueprint that the Jets laid down last January, and to some degree what the gameplans have been in SB 42 and beyond, tracing bck to late 2007 with Jim Johnson's Eagles D. Why not do something else they don't expect? Why pigeon hole ourselves with gameplans and plays called during a game, playing into the opponent's only hope of slowing this offense down? It's pass rush, stunt and drop 7 or 8 into coverage in man, being physical at the line. Why play into that?

About the only ways to withstand this defense are:
    1) run through it with a power back
    2) run around it with a speed back, but have to avoind LB's and DE's on the edge.
    3) screen it
    4) withstand the blitz long enough for the jambed recievers to come free.  This is the least likely to consistently work, but makes for the homerun plays when you can do it. 

It is not as easy as saying...they are rushing 4 superior pass rushers, jambing my recievers...I think I'll stay in the pocket and throw a 50 yard bomb...

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

I also hope the Patriots go deep a few times to Ocho.  However, I have a question about Brady.  Before you guys attack me on this, hear me out.  Brady has/had Ocho the whole season.  They also brought up Underwood who is supposed to be a speedy receiver.  Question:  When was the last time Brady threw a deep pass? Not a short completion that was turned into a long gain, but an actual "bomb" thrown by Brady. Even if the WR is covered deep, why haven't we seen a deep pass to at least take a shot? The last few games the recievers and TE's have not gone past 15yds downfield.  
    Posted by hulk

I have said the same thing midseason. I am not so sure Brady can heave the long ball anymore. But I would like to think he still can.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dyslexic. Show dyslexic's posts

You can count on them doubling Gronk and Welker, then putting Bailey on Hernandez. I agree with the King in that we need to establish the run meaning to beat this you need to set up the play action pass.

Another method would be to spread out Gronk, Hernandez, and Welker so that most if not all of the defensive back field is in cover. Then run the dawn ball! That gives one on one blocking for most of the OL. Gives the Patriots bunch of options...

It's all about the match ups. It will be fun to watch.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mighty2012. Show mighty2012's posts

If he "cold" have as many catches as his tweets? Good job smart guy, your attempt to put Chad down just made you look stupid.
    Posted by MVPkilla-2010

Since when does Taz criticize other posters' spelling?  Methinks we may have an imposter.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

I dunno...  Maybe Babe has it right?  RWTK is still in Ocho's corner and is still begging for more run game but Ocho was not brought here to suddenly flower in the post-season, through we as fans can and should wish for that but it isn't how we do things in New England.  Think the usual BB, not Ocho's friend.  You either perform or your gone.  Everybody plays and contributes or.....  For a guy like Ocho making the money he's making here, his performance has been lacking.  Sorry, it is that simple.  Think about it, if Ocho's performance were, say Doug Gabriel's, performance or Joey Galloway's performance, what would have happened and actually did happen in both cases?  Frankly I can't figure it out.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Chad is not a secret weapon, what you see is what you get. wins are too hard to get for BB to hold back anything in the regular season. I suspect, if needed he could contribute but if they are going to pull Welker, Branch, Hernandez, or Gronk (and they would have to) to give Ocho more snaps I would not be thrilled. Worrying about how many catches second stringers have is a waste, worry about the guys on the field. When one of those guys gets injured I'll start to care about Ocho, or Slater, or Edelman. And as far as deep passes go, Brady can throw them fine. Nobody and I mean nobody can put a football into a tight window 50 yards through the air consistently. It is like consistently making a half court shot. Deep threats catch a lower percent of passes than short route receivers. A true deep threat can track the ball down and get it within a window of maybe a ten foot radius. QB's just need to get it in the area that a receiver can get it. It appears Ocho has lost that ability. The last game he ran to the left of the ball then jumped to the right, had he gone directly to where the ball was landing it would have been caught. I would suggest that if Brady couldn't throw a deep ball than Moss would have had a below average year, he had the best year in NFL history. 2 years ago we heard Brady didn't know how to use TE's because Watson sucked.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fatsam72. Show fatsam72's posts

Shenanigan, not trying to beat a dead horse, but respectfully disagree on the long ball and Brady.  And no offense, but it's kinda obvious.  He's not missing by 2 feet, it's five-ten yards. 

He11, look at last year incamp, when he was pi55ed becasue Hoyer was kicking his butt in the "hit the trash can" competition.

No QB I'd rather have the Brady.  None.  But facts is facts.  And the fact is his long ball ain't great.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fatsam72. Show fatsam72's posts

....and I'd LOVE to have to eat my words on a beautiful bomb or 3 Saturday night...

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

Somebody may have already mentioned this but Ocho has been doing some decent down field blocking

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

I would agree here, as I've stated all year. First it was "he doesn't know the playbook", then it was some drops, then it was "he can't get separation". Then, it became very apparent, he not only knows what to do, he gets sepration and is open plenty as a 3rd or 4th option... Ocho is overpaid, but that isn't his fault. Thats' on BB/Reese/Caserio for not realizing he's a 3rd or 4th option here with Welker, Gronk and an emerging Hernandez.   When you have 3 stud players in front of you on the field, what you did in Cincy and people's image of that and the expecations here, don't really jive. But, he can be of great help in this postseason, IMO.

Great post...spot on.  Well said King.

He's been a model citizen this year...and agree that playcalling and decisions have not allowed for him to be a primary receiver.  So be it... I've seen some great blocking by him and he's keeping at it without as much as wimper of complaint. 

I hope he gets a few balls thrown his way and he does something with it.  Anyone getting going in addition to the three catchers (Gronk, Welker, and Hernandez) will make defenses really think twice!  Let's hope our playcalling AND execution are working in sync this weekend.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Chad is not a secret weapon, what you see is what you get. wins are too hard to get for BB to hold back anything in the regular season. I suspect, if needed he could contribute but if they are going to pull Welker, Branch, Hernandez, or Gronk (and they would have to) to give Ocho more snaps I would not be thrilled. Worrying about how many catches second stringers have is a waste, worry about the guys on the field. When one of those guys gets injured I'll start to care about Ocho, or Slater, or Edelman. And as far as deep passes go, Brady can throw them fine. Nobody and I mean nobody can put a football into a tight window 50 yards through the air consistently. It is like consistently making a half court shot. Deep threats catch a lower percent of passes than short route receivers. A true deep threat can track the ball down and get it within a window of maybe a ten foot radius. QB's just need to get it in the area that a receiver can get it. It appears Ocho has lost that ability. The last game he ran to the left of the ball then jumped to the right, had he gone directly to where the ball was landing it would have been caught. I would suggest that if Brady couldn't throw a deep ball than Moss would have had a below average year, he had the best year in NFL history. 2 years ago we heard Brady didn't know how to use TE's because Watson sucked.
    Posted by shenanigan

I am in no way sugguesting Gronk, Welker, Hernadez, Branch get less snaps. I am merely saying I think Ocho will catch a deep ball or 2 or 3. Which in turn will force Denver to have to then watch for it. Which should open up the short passing game.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from threejak. Show threejak's posts

Game plan for this gig might very well be one of the more thought provoking 
    we have seen season to date.  We finally  have a reasonably full complement of
    bodies showing up on both sides of the ball, we have played them once and our running game is starting to show some life with Ridley in tandem.
    On balance, I suspect Pats will show the Broncos any number of "looks" as detailed nicely  above.  Oh and of course I too would love to see Brady air it out at some point as the dagger to close it out.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from profootball. Show profootball's posts

Ocho is just for security blanket just in case Wes or Deion are down.  He is a third wide out.  As all the wide out healthy, he will be in for decoy but TB would keep an eyes on him if he is wide opened.

Sections
Shortcuts