BRADY...is it time?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Re: BRADY...is it time?

In response to RockScully's comment:

lol

As you can see, this topic exists a lot more than some here want to admit.  I'd say he has 2-3 years left and it's probably pointless to entertain trading him because I am not sure you get the value you'd want back.

But, clearly, tht :fire" you speak of does seem to be a problem.  His pregame antics are the same. He enjoys playing, but I wonder how easy it is for him during the season against bad or mediocre Ds, is counter-productive for him when the postseason hits.

I was simply shocked at this mediocre SB last year after such a poor performance. The game was right there the entire 4th qtr and he just made mistake after mistake.  I was on here saying "no way he has two back to back subpar games". I was wrong. He did.

You can give him a pass in SB 42 because of the O Line issues, the Giants front 7 playing out of their gourds, etc, but recently, we have a serious problem.

Paul Perillo was on Pats All Access pre-postseason saying "the last guy I am worried about is Tom Brady".

Hmmm.

I don't feel that way AT ALL anymore.  I feel the total opposite. FOr the last 2 years, I've said NE will win the division, go deep into the postseason but my main question is how Brady will run the offense and how he executes in it.

As Brady or any QB goes, so does the team.

Until I see differently, there is no way I can just pretend.  He a GOLDEN opportunity to really take control of this AFC title game in the second half and they didn't even get 1 FG.

Absolutely brutal. It's almost like the losses bother me more than him. 

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I think the people that say Brady played poorly in last years Super Bowl are absolute fools that don't know a thing about football to be honest. If we win that game, Brady wins the MVP....hands down. The guy was given poor field position that entire game and yet was in fact perfect on one scoring drive and nearly perfect on the other. He had drops in that game that would of also helped us win. He was given the ball at the one yard line to start that game and was under tremendous pressure that resulted in a safety...big deal...it was two lousy points. It could of been worse.

Now the last game against the Ravens was not good...I can give anyone that, but the game against the Texans was very very good. The thing that was consistently BAD in BOTH contests was our defense - you don't give up 28 points in both your playoff games and think you're going to win anything. And we didn't.

Trade the guy and we will all see very quickly how average of a football team this is right now. Bruschi said the same right after our loss, if I'm not mistaken. We have very good players in...Welker, Gronk (who was hurt), Wilfork and Jones (who was hurt). That is not going to get it done.

2 'lousy points' and gave the Giants the ball. Did they not then score on that drive? I never said trade him, just said maybe it is time to replace him. He could have helped his own cause out this yr by running the ball for some yds. Also, if you are referring to that poorly thrown pass last yr to Welker, then view it from this angle. If Welker had caught that poorly thrown pass then people would have said that was one of the best or most amazing catches ever.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to antiqueman1's comment:

Well is it time to replace Brady? Is he turnig into the new Bledsoe? Just unsure if he has the fire inside still to win another SB nor the arm to throw the ball longer than 20yds with accuracy. Or do most think if the Pats had just a few more pieces, they would pull it off. 2 cracks at the Giants left them empty. And now falling a game short against the Ravens. How much longer can the Pats run with Brady at the helm?

winning = fire inside

losing = no fire

brilliant...u guys have a future in today's sports media

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

In response to newenglanderinexile's comment:

Well is it time to replace Brady? Is he turnig into the new Bledsoe? Just unsure if he has the fire inside still to win another SB nor the arm to throw the ball longer than 20yds with accuracy. Or do most think if the Pats had just a few more pieces, they would pull it off. 2 cracks at the Giants left them empty. And now falling a game short against the Ravens. How much longer can the Pats run with Brady at the helm?

Since it will be so easy to find a replacement for him, it is definitely time to let him go.  I am sure they can easily identify someone in the draft, or get someone through free agency, or maybe by trade.  Nothing easier than finding a quarterback who can throw thirty plus touchdown passes a year with few interceptions.  There must be fifty guys out there who can do that.  So far Brady is the only quarterback in the history of the NFL who has led offenses that have scored 500 plus points four different years, but there must be dozens of others who can do that.  He may be the only quarterback in the history of the NFL with 100 more wins than losses, but, again, quarterbacks who can do that probably grow on trees.  Of course it's time to get rid of Brady.  The Patriots will have their pick of quarterbacks who can play better than he.  There's nothing easier than finding a Hall of Fame quarterback.  Look at all the teams in the NFL that do it all the time. 

So sarcastic. So I guess you think Brady will always remain the Pats QB forever. Ok. Keep the blind faith moving. Fine. I am not discrediting his past abilities or achievements.

But here is what I see as do others. He is not a deep passer. His is not nearly as accurate as you think. He lost his edge or fire to win when it matters most. He has an easy reg season division which actually plays against him come playoffs. He can't run or scamper for yds unless it is on the goal line. All good things do come to and end. He is getting up there in age.  

And whether you want or wish to believe, he will need to be replaced just like all the other greats before him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

winning = fire inside

losing = no fire

brilliant...u guys have a future in today's sports media

When was that last SB win? He gets a second chance to redeem a horrible SB loss to the Giants, bam, beat again by the Giants. So, I guess according to you winning reg season division is good enough. Give me a break.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Stupid question. Of course it's time to replace the GOAT.

Why I'll bet nobody else will even make him an offer since a crackerjack football expert like you has deemed him washed up. Let's move right on to our next HOF QB. Shouldn't take more than a week or so to find one.

Oh, btw, - Learn the game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

ne, brady probobaly still had 2-3 good years left....it would be nice if they drafted a qb now or if they dont, make sure mallett if the guy.

Yeah. Let's get right on finding that elite QB, because, you know, we don't have any other needs at the moment. Brilliant point. Boy, I wish you were running the show in Foxboro. We would be perennial favs to win it all.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

ne, brady probobaly still had 2-3 good years left....it would be nice if they drafted a qb now or if they dont, make sure mallett if the guy.

Yeah. Let's get right on finding that elite QB, because, you know, we don't have any other needs at the moment. Brilliant point. Boy, I wish you were running the show in Foxboro. We would be perennial favs to win it all.

i didnt say we didnt have other needs....im just saying brady isnt going to be able to play forever...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Why I'll bet nobody else will even make him an offer since a crackerjack football expert like you has deemed him washed up. Let's move right on to our next HOF QB. Shouldn't take more than a week or so to find one.

Thank God you are not running the show either, just your mouth once again. Let's see, the 49ers look pretty successful after replacing their starting QB with a backup midseason. Oh, I guess it can't happen. And I never said trade, just asked if it was time to think about replacing him. A bit sensitive about it I see as usual babepar.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

Thank God you are not running the show either, just your mouth once again. Let's see, the 49ers look pretty successful after replacing their starting QB with a backup midseason. Oh, I guess it can't happen. And I never said trade, just asked if it was time to think about replacing him. A bit sensitive about it I see as usual babepar.  

kaepernick did really just hop in to a great situation though....the team was very good before him and that was with an average qb...

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TB17JM16. Show TB17JM16's posts

Keep Brady for 2 more years, find a way to keep Gronk healthy for the playoffs, replace midget wr's with bigger targets and improve 2nd half defense. Turnovers.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

lol

As you can see, this topic exists a lot more than some here want to admit.  I'd say he has 2-3 years left and it's probably pointless to entertain trading him because I am not sure you get the value you'd want back.

But, clearly, tht :fire" you speak of does seem to be a problem.  His pregame antics are the same. He enjoys playing, but I wonder how easy it is for him during the season against bad or mediocre Ds, is counter-productive for him when the postseason hits.

I was simply shocked at this mediocre SB last year after such a poor performance. The game was right there the entire 4th qtr and he just made mistake after mistake.  I was on here saying "no way he has two back to back subpar games". I was wrong. He did.

You can give him a pass in SB 42 because of the O Line issues, the Giants front 7 playing out of their gourds, etc, but recently, we have a serious problem.

Paul Perillo was on Pats All Access pre-postseason saying "the last guy I am worried about is Tom Brady".

Hmmm.

I don't feel that way AT ALL anymore.  I feel the total opposite. FOr the last 2 years, I've said NE will win the division, go deep into the postseason but my main question is how Brady will run the offense and how he executes in it.

Until I see differently, there is no way I can just pretend.  He a GOLDEN opportunity to really take control of this AFC title game in the second half and they didn't even get 1 FG.

I totally agree. Subpar at best. And I think their division is too easy and that hurts him come playoffs. I have to add how frustrated I was to see him not take off and run especially for those short yrds. I just don't think he has what it takes to win another SB. And I would hate to see it turn into aother Bledsoe situation.

+1

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I think the people that say Brady played poorly in last years Super Bowl are absolute fools that don't know a thing about football to be honest. If we win that game, Brady wins the MVP....hands down. The guy was given poor field position that entire game and yet was in fact perfect on one scoring drive and nearly perfect on the other. He had drops in that game that would of also helped us win. He was given the ball at the one yard line to start that game and was under tremendous pressure that resulted in a safety...big deal...it was two lousy points. It could of been worse.

Now the last game against the Ravens was not good...I can give anyone that, but the game against the Texans was very very good. The thing that was consistently BAD in BOTH contests was our defense - you don't give up 28 points in both your playoff games and think you're going to win anything. And we didn't.

Trade the guy and we will all see very quickly how average of a football team this is right now. Bruschi said the same right after our loss, if I'm not mistaken. We have very good players in...Welker, Gronk (who was hurt), Wilfork and Jones (who was hurt). That is not going to get it done.

2 'lousy points' and gave the Giants the ball. Did they not then score on that drive? I never said trade him, just said maybe it is time to replace him. He could have helped his own cause out this yr by running the ball for some yds. Also, if you are referring to that poorly thrown pass last yr to Welker, then view it from this angle. If Welker had caught that poorly thrown pass then people would have said that was one of the best or most amazing catches ever.

So you didn't say trade him, but you did say maybe replace him? Confusing and it's ok.

Couple of things though to consider - this guy that we should consider replacing threw for almost 10 thousand yards and 70 something touchdowns over the last two seasons. He brought his team to the Super Bowl last season and almost got it there this season again with little help. He looks as if he is in good shape and realistically he should be able to play for another four years baring injury.

As for the pass that Welker dropped...nfl recievers are supposed to catch balls that hit them in the hands. It happened again against the Ravens, was that one Brady's fault too?

As for the comparison to San Fran moving to their backup and going on to success, consider this...San Fran's starter was not of starting quality to begin with...they weren't going to go all the way with him. San Fran's defense is so stacked that they hardly need a QB at all. And before anyone goes wetting themselves over the long term possibilities of Kaepernick, consider the fact that he is the right fit for a loaded team right in this moment...those things don't come along often. Next year Kaepernick could very well turn into your average - hurt all the time - run around mindlessly, QB. At least we know Brady is not that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

lol

Hmmm.

he doesnt seem to have the same passion as he used to, on that we agree. i still think brady has another ring in him before he retires though.

I think step 1 is to let Welker go.  Since 2007 and since 2010 with him being so spoiled with arguably the best 3 different size in between hash route runners in the NFL, his skills have compromised a bit.  His deep ball is horrendous, he ignores trying to establish playaction in 90% of the games, and his perimeter throws are also not that good.  SOme of it may be having to do with the his leg injury in 2008 with a paranoia in stepping forward with the right mechanics, but regardless, it's been weak in that area.

I want to see him forced back into his non-comfort zone because I think it will make him mentally tougher and a better overall QB.

Ever notice sometimes when he runs a screen or a quick hitch to Welker he sort of strolls down the field like ho-hum?  It's because his underneath targets are so good, it is ho hum. I saw him make more incredible passes in 2005 or 2006 than he has in recent years. It's because he had to.

I know this isn't a huge deal, but you'd never see him look that bored back in 2006 when he was sort forced to raise the bar with just Caldwell, Watson and an old Troy Brown as his top options.

He's changed. There's no doubt. He puts up better stats in the regular season and looks more like a younger QB trying to grow into the league now in the postseason.

I just was watching Schlereth and Jaws saying the whole reason why the Rams lost SB 36 is because they chose to throw so much.  47 times.

Again, that was a choice. They didn't have to throw so much in the first half or abandon the run so early in the 3rd qtr eiher.  Only down 14-3  at the half or 17-10 doesn't mean you panic and take out half your playbook.

Brady seems to want to get to that 40 pass plateau and I just don't get it.  It's a clear path to a loss.

Agree With letting Welker go 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

Excuse me!

an ageing , no fire QB who has gone to 4 AFC champ games , 2 SBs, after winning 3 SBs is our weak link! He  is why the Pats are the most hated team outside of New England..we are the new  Cowboys( love/hate)

Try this on for size

Millen. Wilson, Zolak, Hodson, Eason ( #1), cavanaugh, Plunkett(#1),Kapp,Tallieferro,Parilli ( no disrespect to a veteran contributor and yes an AFC Champ game) ,Songin. This is what we'll get after TB

we had Bledsoe ( 94-98 with good teams) and Grogan ( 76-78,85 still my favorite Pat)but still no comparison, to our last 6 years.

Ill take TB 12 as long as he and BB want him to play.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to TB17JM16's comment:

Keep Brady for 2 more years, find a way to keep Gronk healthy for the playoffs, replace midget wr's with bigger targets and improve 2nd half defense. Turnovers.

I think the 2nd half D is clearly contingent on what the offense is doing. That's been the problem. Jaws was talking about this today from New Orleans.

It's the truth.  To always ask the D to rally and bail out the offense so frequently is unrealistic.

People think because Brady has the gaudy stats it means the offense is being run well. I disagree.

I think you take each game, each qtr, each half, etc, for what it is.  You have to adjust.   To be fair, Gronk needs to be there, but I also think they can be a much better offense without Welker as a predictable option and the majority of Brady's 1st reads on routes. It's just to easy to defend. I think Edelman, not known as a lead target for Brady, could be effective in the role if less productive. Move Hernandez all around. Slot, outside, backfield, motion, decoy, etc.

The second half D would be BETTER if the offense wasn't constantly disappearing for large chunks of the game.

Obviously, turnovers are also a problem.

As much as I like Ridley, it may make sense to see if Bolden can handle a full load.  Use Ridley as the guy who spells Bolden, and then use Vereen as the new Woodhead on certain downs or in certain, strategic times of the game (trailing, needing to the run 2 minute, the lead RB in situations when you have distinct spread offense advantages, etc). Ridley may just be a Faulk type where the less he's used the more dynamic he can be.  Lean on Bolden as another BJGE guy.

From there, it's simply Brady not throwing any picks.  Don't turn it over next postseason and they're back in the SB.

I agree with some of this...the part about the offense. What I don't agree with is what you say about the defense. I think you give this D too much credit. I think you gloss over the fact that we have a boat load of average players...you say we are spoiled for wanting more and are unrealistic to expect more. I think you're wrong. And I think if we had more on that side of the ball we would of won another Super Bowl and be on our way to winning another right now. I think mistakes were made there, and those mistakes were running around our field trying to defend NFL offenses over the last three years and they failed. Quietly you are seeing the roster be purged of these players and you'll see more silently dissapear this offseason too.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

It's the youngest d in the league in part to the fact we are constantly replacing players who fail with ones who fail . If bb the GM had hit on 2-3 more of the 20 picks he made on the defense in the last 4 years, things might be different Today. When you think of all the wasted picks it makes me sick in terms of where we could have been, we had many a chance to load up over the past 5 Years on defense and spent more 1st and 2nd round picks than any other team with not much to show. Couple that with a stable of FA disasters and this d is far from being elite. 

Now, if it was elite like San Fran, coupled with our current skill players on offense, I might be more inclined to engage in the tb trade talk. It's not, do let's not fool ourselves. We win because we put up more points than almost any other team...not because we hold opponents to fewer points than almost any other team...

on a related note...what's the chance Lombardi wants Brady not mallet?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

NO...

A more diverse offense would help. As will a better D.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

NO...

A more diverse offense would help. As will a better D.

Well said. I never understood the need to put all the blame on either the O or D.