Brady's interception not nearly as bad as I first thought

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Brady's interception not nearly as bad as I first thought

While watching the Jets game Sunday afternoon on TV, I thought Brady's third quarter interception was purely his fault.  A bad throw, behind his receiver.  

Now I've had the opportunity to watch the play on coaches film.  And while I don't think Brady made the best possible throw (I think it really was a tad behind where it should have been), I no longer think he was totally at fault on this.  Two other instances of poor execution contributed to that failed play.  And in fact, Brady's throw was probably not the primary error. 

The worst mistake on that play was Gronk's poor route running.  If you watch the film, Gronk runs a very weak route that is sort of in between a dig and a slant.  Right before Brady releases the ball, Gronk makes a hard move at a right angle to the LOS as if he's going to dig.  Brady releases the ball right after Gronk makes that move.  Immediately, though, Gronk starts angling backwards, moving on a diagonal from the about the 20 toward the 24.  This makes it easy for the defender to undercut him.  If Gronk had kept going straight, the ball would have hit him on the numbers.  That may have been a bit behind where it should have been, but there's no way it would have been intercepted.  By drifting downfield on his route, Gronk makes it easy for the defender to undercut him and make the catch.

The other failure, not as serious, but still a problem, was Solder's inability to fully control the pass rusher he was matched with.  Brady was about to get hit and while only light contact was made while he was releasing the ball, Brady was more hurried than ideal.

If you've got the film, give it a look, and let us know what you think.  My analysis, though, puts most of the blame on Gronk.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Re: Brady's interception not nearly as bad as I first thought

You do realize your post will send Russ over the edge.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

While watching the Jets game Sunday afternoon on TV, I thought Brady's third quarter interception was purely his fault.  A bad throw, behind his receiver.  

Now I've had the opportunity to watch the play on coaches film.  And while I don't think Brady made the best possible throw (I think it really was a tad behind where it should have been), I no longer think he was totally at fault on this.  Two other instances of poor execution contributed to that failed play.  And in fact, Brady's throw was probably not the primary error. 

The worst mistake on that play was Gronk's poor route running.  If you watch the film, Gronk runs a very weak route that is sort of in between a dig and a slant.  Right before Brady releases the ball, Gronk makes a hard move at a right angle to the LOS as if he's going to dig.  Brady releases the ball right after Gronk makes that move.  Immediately, though, Gronk starts angling backwards, moving on a diagonal from the about the 20 toward the 24.  This makes it easy for the defender to undercut him.  If Gronk had kept going straight, the ball would have hit him on the numbers.  That may have been a bit behind where it should have been, but there's no way it would have been intercepted.  By drifting downfield on his route, Gronk makes it easy for the defender to undercut him and make the catch.

The other failure, not as serious, but still a problem, was Solder's inability to fully control the pass rusher he was matched with.  Brady was about to get hit and while only light contact was made while he was releasing the ball, Brady was more hurried than ideal.

If you've got the film, give it a look, and let us know what you think.  My analysis, though, puts most of the blame on Gronk.

Pro, not sure you saw it but it was reported ad nauseum by the media that Gronk indeed was to blame for rounding off his route...only having seen it on the TV tape, hard to tell...so seems most accepted the media reports as fact. Glad you concur

after 6-8 media reports stating the same, really only Rusty said it was bs and was simply the anti BB media doing its thing

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

You do realize your post will send Russ over the edge.

Ha! Are there any edges left for him still to go over?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Pro, not sure you saw it but it was reported ad nauseum by the media that Gronk indeed was to blame for rounding off his route...only having seen it on the TV tape, hard to tell...so seems most accepted the media reports as fact. Glad you concur

after 6-8 media reports stating the same, really only Rusty said it was bs and was simply the anti BB media doing its thing

I saw one article where they mentioned that Gronk's route wasn't the best, but still felt Brady was most to blame.  Didn't read much else, but then I didn't read a lot on the game because I was so busy during the week with work and travel.  It would be interesting to know what Gronk was supposed to do on that play.  His route, however, really wasn't very crisp.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

Hey Pro, I felt the same here. My first reaction was it was all Brady's fault...upon looking at further film, Brady is still partly to blame, but not nearly as much as I orginally thought.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Also reported that TB hurt his hand the play before the int. Was 11 for 18 before the injury, 11 for 28 after

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

???. Keep thinking 2+2=5.

Brady is the leader of the offense, he shouldn't have tried to force the ball. Brady has stunk this year. he has been doing a bad job reading his open guys sometimes.

The  Patriots could have put the game away in the 2nd quarter, but Brady kept screwing up, and it doesn't help that Josh Mcdaniels is screwing up the play calling.

In the end they got cheated out by the refs.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:

Brady is the leader of the offense, he shouldn't have tried to force the ball. Brady has stunk this year. he has been doing a bad job reading his open guys sometimes.

The  Patriots could have put the game away in the 2nd quarter, but Brady kept screwing up, and it doesn't help that Josh Mcdaniels is screwing up the play calling.

It wasn't a forced throw, though.  Gronk was single-covered and looked liked he was about to separate from his defender.  If he hadn't started drifting downfield, it likely would have been a completion to Gronk.  I wonder if the route was supposed to be a slant and Brady thought Gronk had changed it up when he started running parallel to the yard lines, then Gronk went back to running the slant.  I'm really not sure about the call, but either way, Gronk changes direction in indecisive ways which puts a lot of pressure on the QB when the QB is about to get hit if he doesn't let the ball out.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

It wasn't a forced throw, though.  Gronk was single-covered and looked liked he was about to separate from his defender.  If he hadn't started drifting downfield, it likely would have been a completion to Gronk.  I wonder if the route was supposed to be a slant and Brady thought Gronk had changed it up when he started running parallel to the yard lines, then Gronk went back to running the slant.  I'm really not sure about the call, but either way, Gronk changes direction in indecisive ways which puts a lot of pressure on the QB when the QB is about to get hit if he doesn't let the ball out.

ok, maybe not forcing the ball. but that was a poor decision to throw that close to the end zone.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

It was  fantastic forced interception by the Jets, set up by Coples blowing past Solder and getting a strip sack, followed by another hit on Brady forcing him to throw early and then the very fast Allen baited Gronk and jumped the route for the pick 6.  Fantastic defense.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RicosUncle. Show RicosUncle's posts

In response to MeadowlandMike's comment:

It was  fantastic forced interception by the Jets, set up by Coples blowing past Solder and getting a strip sack, followed by another hit on Brady forcing him to throw early and then the very fast Allen baited Gronk and jumped the route for the pick 6.  Fantastic defense.

BUSTCHISE SPEAKS....jets troll

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

ok, maybe not forcing the ball. but that was a poor decision to throw that close to the end zone.

That would be more of a play calling problem. Lots of fans are criticizing McDaniels now for not running enough.  Sounds just like what we heard when Bill O'Brien was here.  Not sure you can avoid throwing altogether near the endzone, though.  On second and long (after the sack), you almost have to throw, unless you resign yourself to punting and likely giving the other team pretty good field position. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I've heard this point of view a few times now.  A couple of girls at the bar last night were saying the same thing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Pro...  Good analysis that goes back to these brain dead option routes.   The only way the pass gets completed is if Gronk sits down.   Welker and branch were mostly successful at sitting down as they found their opening. and Brady hitting them where they are.  This is an easier throw than trying to lead a receiver perfectly who is running.

Gronk sqquared off a few routes in this game and he sat down for a couple catches as well.  CALL FOR ONE OR THE OTHER in the huddle.  Trying to guess when under pressure as you pointed out is a recipe for INTs.  This is another example.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I thought the rookies were the problem? Anyway, it doesn't matter who's fault it was, the entire offense needs to be better. Brady needs to stop picking favorites, rookies need to catch the ball better, receivers need to run cleaner routes, Brady needs to be more accurate, McDaniels needs to dial up better plays and Vareen needs to hurry up and get back on the field because Bolden blows.

Sections
Shortcuts