Brady's Slump

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: Brady's Slump

Another newsflash, in case you weren't paying attention I schooled you to it prior to yesterdays game; Arizona is good, they rank 3rd in the league in sacks, they have an incredibly tough defense.

We should have won the game anyway, but move on, nobody is falling apart, Brady isn't slumping, there's nothing wrong with Wes, Ghost isn't suddenly a choke artist because he misses one kick... my god.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Whenever Brady used to have time, as he did on the 2pt conversion attempt, he would almost ALWAYS find the open guy and deliver a perfect pass. He tried to force that into Gronk. There wasn't a window to throw through, he was trying to throw it through a wall.

Over the past few seasons I've seen balls skip into players, or them pick them off the turf more and more.

His long ball, which was questionable early in his career, and got better...has seemingly declined again. Both Gronk and lloyd looked lost chasing a deep ball, during different games. I wonder what the ball is doing up there, it seems it's flight isn't as steady and straight as it used to be.

The happy feet I ALWAYS goofed on Manning for have been apparent with Brady since the knee injury. Can't defeat your brain sometimes. He simply does not set his feet, and step up into the pocket as confidently as he used to (I think that leads to a lot of those shorter/skipping passes).

WRs lose a step. RBs get old quickly. QBs degrade over time as well. He's been the starter now in his tenth season since day 1, 11th if you want to count 2001. He missed an entire season due to a bad injury. He's in his mid-30s.

Maybe people don't want to believe it as he threw for a billion yards last year...but so did 3 other guys. And a few more had almost as many. The league has trended in a way that has padded Brady's stats (and ALL QBs, for that matter), so, looking at the numbers..."He's as good as he was in 2004!" But, no, he isn't. The rules have changed dramatically in that time.

And all that said, I'll ride with him until his arm falls off or his knees won't hold him up. He's earned that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to UD6's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Really? How many QBs do you think have a career 100+ PR?

[/QUOTE]

You know babe, at some point players deteriorate.  It happens.  And really on past production as an indicator of the future stops being certainty. 

[/QUOTE]

Well, his 100 PR was just acheived in the playoffs last season. Speaking of deterioration may be just a tad premature based on one average game this year, don't you think?

Your pathetic agenda is showing.

[/QUOTE]

I still think Brady is an elite QB, but frequently downfall is a slow process.  Would anyone suggest that 300 yds passing is a bad game?  No.  But usually guys who throw for that may yards get into the endzone more than once. 

I am not even beginning to suggest that the magic won't still happen, but some expect it every week, and it seemed as if Brady delivered.  He didn't today.

Maybe the team didn't take Arizona seriously after last week's win and given that they were playing at home.  If that's the case then that is on the coach.

[/QUOTE]

Mike Vick threw for 300 yards in Week 1, and, yeah, he had a very bad game. 300 yards is not the measure it once was. Teams lose 17-14 as their QB throws for 300 yards, when maybe 250 and better play calling would earn a win.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

dragon - its a good point - Eli threw for 500 and almost lost the game.  

and my point isn't to disparage brady.  I didn't see the game.  But I've watched Peyton slow down a bit after many seasons.  Aside from the injury that has now lingered for 4 years, his offensive line also deteriorated from what it once was.  

Guys like Brady and Manning are good enough to overcome poor offensive line play where others cannot, but they can't do it all the time.  If the pats Oline is struggling this may have something to do with Brady's less than stellar performances.  

He's had as a good a pass blocking oline as any QB in the NFL.  That may now be transistioning and affecting Brady.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

So Dragon, who should he have thrown to on the 2-point conversion?  I was in the stands and haven't seen a replay, but was someone else more open than Gronk? (I didn't see anyone, but maybe I missed the wide open guy on the left side because I was watching Brady look right.) And if no one was more open than Gronk, who better to try to force the ball to than Gronk?  Does anyone have a better chance of coming down with the ball while covered? 

Brady looked pretty darn good on the drive that led to the TD.  It was the first time they opened the game up and put him into that hurry-up spread offense they ran so much last year.  He seemed to thrive in it.  Maybe he needs more practice with the under-center, run-heavy offense they tried to use in the first half.  But Brady didn't look all that great in that offense--but neither did his receivers.  Spreading the field and getting the defense out-of-breath seemed to work.  It seemed to help with getting separation.  Methodical just wasn't working.

Newsflash . . . TEs for all their versatility aren't as fast as WRs.  There's always a trade off. When you emphasize one thing (size and blocking with TEs and FBs) you lose something else (speed and agility with WRs).

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]

dragon - its a good point - Eli threw for 500 and almost lost the game.  

and my point isn't to disparage brady.  I didn't see the game.  But I've watched Peyton slow down a bit after many seasons.  Aside from the injury that has now lingered for 4 years, his offensive line also deteriorated from what it once was.  

Guys like Brady and Manning are good enough to overcome poor offensive line play where others cannot, but they can't do it all the time.  If the pats Oline is struggling this may have something to do with Brady's less than stellar performances.  

He's had as a good a pass blocking oline as any QB in the NFL.  That may now be transistioning and affecting Brady.

[/QUOTE]

Good point. Matt Light had been his left tackle for his whole career...until now. Light was undervalued even around here a lot of the time. The right side of the line is a mess, or was against a good Dline.

Solder does look fine, but it takes reps to build that trust. Brady was lost yesterday, 300 yards or not. Ty Law agrees (per Sports Sunday).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to DelGriffith's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pats O Line wasn't struggling. It's an excuse. Once they stopped running the ball and use more shotgun spread, it was 2011 flashbacks.

In a nutshell, that was a 2011 game with the D doing everything in its power to bail out a sluggish offense.

Throw in a Gostkowski miss, similar to his misses against Pitt or the Giants last year, and you have a game you lost that you should have won.

I don't know why these players can't get it in their head that the opponent plays them like it's life or death.  Teams use this team as a measuring stick.  Not saying they looked past Arizona for their home opener, but the offense was abysmal again over 4 qtrs.

[/QUOTE]

You must have been drunk in that bar.  They didn't score a touchdown till they went to a spread hurry-up offense that looked a lot like last year's Bill O'Brien offense.  I was at the game and sober.  It was obvious the offense finally started clicking when they went hurry-up, spread.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Further - for those that think the end game is all that matters and the kicker deserves sole blame.  

After last week, NE was considered the best team in the league by every pundit commenting.  It was a given that NE at home vs a mediocre AZ team that can't decide who its QB is would win the game handily.  

The vaunted offense had to put the ball at the foot of its kicker for 5 of its 6 scoring drives.  A team expected to win so handily should be expected to put the ball in the endzone, and shouldn't have to rely on the kicker to win or lose the game - not if this is the best team in the NFL playing at home against a mediocre team with an in-season QB controversy.  

There's got to be enough blame to lay at everyone's feet, not just the kicker's. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSthebest. Show PATSthebest's posts

If Brady's great days are behind him the PAT's blew the opportunity for at least 2 other Superbowls . If Kraft was a little more libleral with the check book and kept Asante Samuel we maybe would have had both Giants Superbowls.

Who knows, that's for anther discussion.  

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

When you don't have your best receiver Wes Welker in the game plan then it's fairly easy to understand the output going down.  This coaching staff needs to wake the hell up!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

You must have been drunk in that bar.  They didn't score a touchdown till they went to a spread hurry-up offense that looked a lot like last year's Bill O'Brien offense.  I was at the game and sober.  It was obvious the offense finally started clicking when they went hurry-up, spread.   

[/QUOTE]

Yes, but it doesn;'t last.. They did that out of panic mode and desperation because Brady and the offense stalled repatedly early in the game. Did you get a good view of Brady's INT on the 1st play of the game, Mr Upstate NY?  Funny how you claim to be at these games and sober yet you don't live anywhere near Foxborough.

Hey Rusty, there are these newfangled machines that can get you from Toronto to Boston in less than two hours.  I bet they have those in North Carolina too if your uncle will ever share his tickets. 

[QUOTE]Maybe McDaniels doesn't panic and go 2 minute so early in the game if Brady is better.   I'm hundreds of miles away and know EXACTLY what I'm seeing on a tv. So does every other honest fan here.[/QUOTE]

If that was panic, I hope he panics earlier next week.  Here's some advice, next time you go into the half having scored only six points at home, panic and panic fast!

[QUOTE]I have no problem using the 2 minute as a wrinkle or when it's meant to be used, but it replaced the base offense in the second half, which is why this offense didn't do jack.  Eeking out TDs late in the game is not a good thing, Prolate. [/QUOTE]

Better that than continuing the whole game without a TD, though. 

[QUOTE]You do the same thing when you ignore how awful the offense was in SB 42 or in the 4th qtr of last year's SB.  The idea is to have balance and produce across the WHOLE game, not just at one point of the game. [/QUOTE]

When something's not working, it's best to stick with it to the bitter in the end and hope for different results.  If that fails, just find a wall and keep banging your head against it. 

[QUOTE]The only thing that is obvious is that you'll make excuses to deflect away from Brady's lack of execution in this offense.[/QUOTE]

The offense worked best, it seemed, when they went hurry up.  At that point, Brady may actually have been calling the plays.  Hmmmm . . . 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

When you don't have your best receiver Wes Welker in the game plan then it's fairly easy to understand the output going down.  This coaching staff needs to wake the hell up!!

[/QUOTE]

How do you know he wasn't in the game plan? Ever consider he was well covered?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Pats O Line wasn't struggling. It's an excuse. Once they stopped running the ball and use more shotgun spread, it was 2011 flashbacks.

In a nutshell, that was a 2011 game with the D doing everything in its power to bail out a sluggish offense.

Throw in a Gostkowski miss, similar to his misses against Pitt or the Giants last year, and you have a game you lost that you should have won.

I don't know why these players can't get it in their head that the opponent plays them like it's life or death.  Teams use this team as a measuring stick.  Not saying they looked past Arizona for their home opener, but the offense was abysmal again over 4 qtrs.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's only because it allowed Brady to get rid of the ball before they could get to him.

Wouldn't it be nice if we had a back who could block?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

Yeah, right. I am sure you easily left Gillette and quickly got off Route 1 anf got to the airport to shuttle back to Toronto or wherever you claim you live.  First it's not Canada, now it is. You can't even keep your stories straight.  You were probably one of the pink hat goobers who left early. LMAO

Those fans leaving early yesterday and the ones sitting on their hands when the D is on the field is a new generation of fans that aren't the ones I grew up around, Prolate. Lots of people like you in SUVs and wine and cheese. 

But, you enjoy thinking the 2:00 minute shotgun base is effective over long periods of the game.

[/QUOTE]

It's always been Canada. It's you with that steel trap memory who can't get my stories straight. We've been through this before multiple times. 

Also, besides airplanes there's this other marvelous invention called a train.  They've got one they call the Patriots Train and for just $15 US roundtrip you can get from South Station to Gillette and back in just over an hour each way  Amazing stuff, but true. They've now got planes from Toronto to Boston and trains from Boston to Foxboro. If you want, you can also ask your friends (assuming you have some) to drive you back to Boston after the game so you can have a nice dinner together. Planes, trains, and automobiles. Sounds like your next screen name once you're banned next. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking12. Show harleyroadking12's posts

what brady needs and what this team needs is a "John Hannah" to walk through that door.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

will admit to being a staunch homer,kool aid drinker, what ever you wish to call it but I also have a realistic side that is starting to realize a possible problem with Brady's speed and touch. When the many good recievers on the team are developing a higher percentage of drops that have hit them in the hands and body, or do not make the catch that is within reach (should be catchable), or just out of reach (over thrown) on the longer throws, you have to look at the one common factor, Brady. It may be possible that in an effort to increase controll and accuracy, he may be inreasing velocity and loseing touch. If he has noticed a reduction of accuracy due to his mechanics and is trying to compensate by increaseing velocity, he will lose that touch on the passes that use to make all his recievers look great. Now one may say that NFL quality recievers should all be capable of hauling in those bullet passes, but reality says that the increased difficulty will increase the drops. Rather than laying those passes into the reciever catch zone, he is attempting to rifle them in, increaseing the difficulty of the catch. Now the recievers may not be telling Brady, figureing they should catch any thing within reach, and I doubt Brady is useing the same velocity in practice, makeing the problem less visable. So in the games it looks like every one is missing the easy catches, when in reality the difficulty of the catches is made much more difficult by excess velocity....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

Oh, now it's Canada and not upstate NY.  You can't keep your stories straight, Prolate. I am sure you left before the game was over to catch that plane, too. 

[/QUOTE]

No, I flew home on the 11 am Air Canada flight this morning. Decided to stay in Boston last night to catch up with friends.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking12. Show harleyroadking12's posts

DEL

Walters probably wants to play, just not here but in Texas. Has anyone interviewed him? Like Boston sports reporter should....where is Will MacDonah (sp) when we need him