Branch helping Tate?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wiggy26. Show wiggy26's posts

Branch helping Tate?

I feel like Branch has been the best thing for Brandon Tate since joining the team.

Perhaps its just Tate slowly developing (perhaps too slowly?) but it seems like Tate is extending plays now and making himself available when Brady scrambles.

Branch helps this team in more ways than catching the ball - his experience is obvious.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmot1234. Show tmot1234's posts

Re: Branch helping Tate?

I believe that the long TD reception that Tate had against Minnesota, when Brady was scrambling, was a direct result of Deion Branch telling Tate in practice the prior week, that when Brady scrambles like that, to just go deep, and don't even think twice about it, instead of staying short.

On that play, Brady was scrambling, Tate broke down the sidelines and Brady hit him for a 70 yard TD pass.

I don't remember where exactly, but I did read that somwhere.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

I was at the game yesterday and had a good view of the field.  If Brady needed him to, Tate could have had a huge game.  He was open down the field over and over again.  Due to the score, though, there was no need to take chances down the field.  Tate is still developing, but he has the talent.  I expect bigger things from him next year.  I do agree that Branch is nothing but great for his development, too.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wiggy26. Show wiggy26's posts

In Response to Re: Branch helping Tate?:
    I was at the game yesterday and had a good view of the field.  If Brady needed him to, Tate could have had a huge game.  He was open down the field over and over again.  Due to the score, though, there was no need to take chances down the field.  Tate is still developing, but he has the talent.  I expect bigger things from him next year.  I do agree that Branch is nothing but great for his development, too.
    Posted by pyegian

Thats good insight! i didn't get a chance to watch this game :( but that is good signs regardless because I certainly see Tate as a deep threat when we want to try. Perhaps your right, he just wasnt needed this game, but i have great respect for Branch being in NE again.

pyegian, id be interested in your thoughts on Tate that game - was Brady just not looking for him? did he try any long balls to Tate?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

I'm sure Branch is helping Tate. I hope Tate becomes more of a factor but dropping balls hasn't helped. Glad he made the TD catch last night. On TV it's just so hard to see the whole field and what guys are doing. I don't know if Tate is getting open or just that Brady is looking to other guys first. You lose stock with Brady very quickly if you drop balls. 

I'm glad Hernandez had a decent game as well. He was in the doghouse a bit also due to dropping some balls. 

Gronk has been the better TE lately.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Even more I believe, the team feels that Price could be the next route running WR the Pats need with more size and speed.  They probably have him watching crazy films and praticing route running with WR coaches to get him ready for next year.   

Great adjustment and catch Tate made in the end zone though, really pulling for Tate. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wazzu-wheatfarmer. Show Wazzu-wheatfarmer's posts

I'm pulling for Tate to suceed as well, and I do believe that he has shown improvement as the season has progressed (minus a few drops...)  That was a nice grab for the TD last night, and hopefully a confidence booster.  Also, his KO return production has been slowed lately, but he is still one hell of a return man.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

In Response to Re: Branch helping Tate? : Thats good insight! i didn't get a chance to watch this game :( but that is good signs regardless because I certainly see Tate as a deep threat when we want to try. Perhaps your right, he just wasnt needed this game, but i have great respect for Branch being in NE again. pyegian, id be interested in your thoughts on Tate that game - was Brady just not looking for him? did he try any long balls to Tate?
    Posted by wiggy26

Sure...I can't say I saw what Tate was doing on every play, and he was only on the field for about 1/3 of the offensive snaps, but I saw a handful of times that Tate beat his man deep either down the sideline or on post/ in-cut type routes.  I think the fact that Welker, Branch, Woodhead, Hernandez, etc. were so open in the short/intermediate range negated the need for Brady to take chances deep. The winds were swirling and we saw a couple of deep passes that were slightly off target early (Gronkowsi, Branch).  So I think that while Tate only made that one nice touchdown catch, I think he easily could have had 1 or 2 big plays down the field as well.

The encouraging thing about Tate is that he's starting to get open on his routes with more consistency.  That means that he's learning the offense and becoming a better route runner.  He's dropped some easy balls lately, but I'm not concerned about that.  He had good hands in college and he'll snap out of the funk.  Catching it is the easy part.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wiggy26. Show wiggy26's posts

In Response to Re: Branch helping Tate? : Sure...I can't say I saw what Tate was doing on every play, and he was only on the field for about 1/3 of the offensive snaps, but I saw a handful of times that Tate beat his man deep either down the sideline or on post/ in-cut type routes.  I think the fact that Welker, Branch, Woodhead, Hernandez, etc. were so open in the short/intermediate range negated the need for Brady to take chances deep. The winds were swirling and we saw a couple of deep passes that were slightly off target early (Gronkowsi, Branch).  So I think that while Tate only made that one nice touchdown catch, I think he easily could have had 1 or 2 big plays down the field as well. The encouraging thing about Tate is that he's starting to get open on his routes with more consistency.  That means that he's learning the offense and becoming a better route runner.  He's dropped some easy balls lately, but I'm not concerned about that.  He had good hands in college and he'll snap out of the funk.  Catching it is the easy part.
    Posted by pyegian

Yeah valid points regarding the wind. I did just see the snap numbers that Tate was on the field and they certainly arent many. But if we keep giving him chances to shine, he will and I think he is starting to.

Dropping the ball is never good for an NFL WR, however im ok to let this kid develop and that goes the same for Hernandez. Tate has shown he is an asset to this team if only for his KR skills. He is fast and has potential.  I look forward to watching him each week as you know he is close to breaking long returns/yrds.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LatenightOwl. Show LatenightOwl's posts

Tate has a 3 year window, I believe.  Not counting last year because of his injury, Tate will have thru 2012 to prove his worth as a legitimate 40-50 reception a season guy.  Tighter route running and softer hands on the fly.

Im no Belichick but thats the way I see it. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from taljr. Show taljr's posts

What's exciting to me are the possibilities...The Pat's develop plays, week by week, for specific players to exploit match-ups. With a pure tight end now (Gronk), an H back (Hernandez), a slot receiver (Wes, best at his position in the NFL), speed on the outside (Tate), Branch (the steady veteran, a la Troy Brown but on the outside), and Woody on 3 rd down, all legitamate weapons, I think it's quite possible that they could have 6 guys with 40 to 50 plus catches next year.

That's if the offense wants to throw that much.

It seems there aren't enough footballs to go around right now for Tate but I do see him getting better. Branch helps all of these young guys.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

In Response to Re:  The encouraging thing about Tate is that he's starting to get open on his routes with more consistency.  Posted by pyegian

+1

Sections
Shortcuts