Branch IS AN UPGRADE... PEYTON CURSE IS OVER!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN. Show KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN's posts

Branch IS AN UPGRADE... PEYTON CURSE IS OVER!

so good to see the old bel back. ravens will payyyyy this sunday! yep moss will have better stats (due largely to more inefficient looks and throws by favre) but branch is far better and more efficient for this system. he is a tough guy WINNER who runs versatile routes, doesnt whine while doing all the little non-stat things, and fits this scheme to a tee. bel went nuts after peyton came back on him in 2006 playoffs. wouldnt surprise me to see another ring in new england as stat geek moro-n guy goes nuts over numbers and how we dont rank in the top 20 in some irrelevant non-winning based stat. as much as i like some of the great plays of moss including his catch on monday night, lets face it... he is fundamentally a LOSER. 

in basketball, he would be another dominique wilkens (inefficient high volume shooter with big highlights). all splash and style with little winning substance. hit him in the mouth as the giants did and he will look for a skirt to run under as he blames everyone else around him rather than his instinctive lack of big ones.  a branch just gets tougher. 

in basketball terms, he is more of a robert horry or a paul pierce. if goal is to sell tics, i go with wilkens. if goal is WINNING, i take horry or pierce every week day and twice on sunday!   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Re: Branch IS AN UPGRADE... PEYTON CURSE IS OVER!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In no way is his post troll material, did you even read it right? He's pro-branch.. anti-Moss, how did you miss that?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmokingJoe. Show SmokingJoe's posts

In Response to Re: Branch IS AN UPGRADE... PEYTON CURSE IS OVER!:
    [QUOTE]In no way is his post troll material, did you even read it right? He's pro-branch.. anti-Moss, how did you miss that?
    Posted by Getzo[/QUOTE]

I agree, not Troll material.  I hope he is right, time will tell

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOT2REGRET. Show NOT2REGRET's posts

Its funny when people try and make a point , but have absolutely no idea what their talking about. In one sentence you say that Branch is an up grade , in the next you admit Moss will a better year. Moss has done absolutely everything asked of him when it comes to this O. He makes big plays , plays great decoy , demands a double team as much , if not more than anyone. Teams have to game plan every week to shut down 84. No team game plans to keep Welker out of the end-zone because he doesnt put up 6. Brady has thrown for 8 TDs this year and Moss is responsible for 6-7 of those directly/indirectly. The last TDs that Hern/Gronk/Woodhead caught were all direct results of Moss being double and coverage either going or staying w/ him. Hes taken hits and gone over the middle even though thats not his game. Hes never missed a game here. Ands hes gone because hes want a new contract. This team is built to outscore teams and we just got rid of our only real scoring threat we had. Thats the Pats though , sometimes it tough to accept at first , but thats the way our team goes about its business. I love my team w/ everything I have , but lets cut the BS w/ this Moss trade. Branch isnt an upgrade over Moss in ANY WAY , shape or form. The Pats D has to step up , its as plain as that. If we're winning anything this year its going to be 24-17 etc. Who knows , Im hoping the team rallys together and takes the " us against the world " approach. Which in a way is true , many people , including myself dont think their a better team w/out Moss.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

I really liked Moss until he started flaking in the early off-season.  Things went down hill from there.

I know he wanted to get paid a signing bonus, in case he gets hurt in this season, but wasn't this why they gave him a signing bonus at the start of his current contract? I am generally pro-player on labor, but this demand has always stuck in my craw.

He's like the friend with whom you love to party, but you know deep down that he is not your best friend and he never will be your best friend. Eventually, he is going to get into a drunken brawl at your wedding.

Take away the pressure for Brady to push the deep ball to Moss and I think this team - while not better on paper - gets better on the turf.

IMO, while Moss got his TD in the Super Bowl, pushing the ball to him all game cost the Pats a unique legacy. I could not help notice how often he has missed catching those deep balls from Brady since the post-season for 2007. This made Moss expendable. Worse, he let DBs get picks off of catchable passes. I don't see the remaining Pats receivers playing like that.

I wish Moss luck.  But I cannot respect the turmoil he caused over money and stats.  He forgot how the Pats won their Super Bowls.  He forgot the Pats' rep as a "team". He forgot that Super Bowl rings are better than diamond earrings.  He forgot that team-wins are better than fat contracts and stats.  When he gets to Canton, the common denominator for every sports column written will be how Moss had the stats, but never got the ring. Super Bowl titles are forever.  Stats eventually are surpassed and forgotten.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Branch is a joke, the Patriots 3 WR set is Welker, Tate and Price I hope. Would hate to see Mr. Money over my teammates out there. 

Branch = The WR version of Logan Mankins. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

[QUOTE]Branch is a joke, the Patriots 3 WR set is Welker, Tate and Price I hope. Would hate to see Mr. Money over my teammates out there.  Branch = The WR version of Logan Mankins. 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

Branch has caught 403 passes in the NFL.  Price has never played a single down in the NFL.  You are a football genius.  I hope Belichick can see the winning formula as clearly as you do. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

If you think Branch can't do anything better than Moss, you don't know football or these particular players very well. Moss was a terrible route runner, outside of the graceful fly routes. Moss averages about half the YAC on his career that Branch does, Branch is better developed at reading coverage. 

Moss is a much more unique athlete and had a knack for using his body to generate space and a soft landing zone for the football. When he was younger he had a top speed that was unmatched in the open field. He is still faster than Branch full sprint.

But NE will see marked improvements in some areas.

And yeah, I won't miss the fading Moss. You know the one who takes six or seven deep tries (wasted downs and sometimes picks) to generate one 37 yard TD. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]Branch is a joke, the Patriots 3 WR set is Welker, Tate and Price I hope. Would hate to see Mr. Money over my teammates out there.  Branch = The WR version of Logan Mankins. 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

What do you expect a player in Branch's position to do?  Take a hometown discount?  Foxboro isn't his home town.  Players will follow the money, and I don't blame them a bit.  It's a violent game and their careers are short.  Contracts aren't guaranteed, so they need to get as much up front as possible.  That's the system the NFL and the PA have devised. 

To my recollection, Branch didn't do what Mankins is doing?  He did what he had to do to get to a place that would pay him top dollar.  The Pats offered to pay Mankins top dollar and he (his agent?) decided they wanted out anyway.  I don't see these situations as analagous.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]Its funny when people try and make a point , but have absolutely no idea what their talking about. In one sentence you say that Branch is an up grade , in the next you admit Moss will a better year. Moss has done absolutely everything asked of him when it comes to this O. He makes big plays , plays great decoy , demands a double team as much , if not more than anyone. Teams have to game plan every week to shut down 84. No team game plans to keep Welker out of the end-zone because he doesnt put up 6. Brady has thrown for 8 TDs this year and Moss is responsible for 6-7 of those directly/indirectly. The last TDs that Hern/Gronk/Woodhead caught were all direct results of Moss being double and coverage either going or staying w/ him. Hes taken hits and gone over the middle even though thats not his game. Hes never missed a game here. Ands hes gone because hes want a new contract. This team is built to outscore teams and we just got rid of our only real scoring threat we had. Thats the Pats though , sometimes it tough to accept at first , but thats the way our team goes about its business. I love my team w/ everything I have , but lets cut the BS w/ this Moss trade. Branch isnt an upgrade over Moss in ANY WAY , shape or form. The Pats D has to step up , its as plain as that. If we're winning anything this year its going to be 24-17 etc. Who knows , Im hoping the team rallys together and takes the " us against the world " approach. Which in a way is true , many people , including myself dont think their a better team w/out Moss.
    Posted by NOT2REGRET[/QUOTE] Well it's obvious that you think the world of Randy Moss and that without him the patriots will simply lose! Wrong!! The patriots as a team will become more cohesive, the offense will change but not that dramatically. Tate can run the same stupid go route that Moss was running on every play and yes when a player who possesses Randy's speed decides to run that route you better double cover him,here's a hint you better cover Tate just like you did Randy because though he doesn't look very fast the man can run!! So now you have the Three midgets and Tate too contend with and three TE's who are capable of catching the ball,now if those don't work out you will still have the fastest guy on this in the backfield as we have already witnessed David Woodhead can flat out fly!! Oh well Ijust woke up the patriots will stink with all these unknowns...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN. Show KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]If you think Branch can't do anything better than Moss, you don't know football or these particular players very well. Moss was a terrible route runner, outside of the graceful fly routes. Moss averages about half the YAC on his career that Branch does, Branch is better developed at reading coverage.  Moss is a much more unique athlete and had a knack for using his body to generate space and a soft landing zone for the football. When he was younger he had a top speed that was unmatched in the open field. He is still faster than Branch full sprint. But NE will see marked improvements in some areas. And yeah, I won't miss the fading Moss. You know the one who takes six or seven deep tries (wasted downs and sometimes picks) to generate one 37 yard TD. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

couldnt agree with your post any more. well said. moss reminds me a lot of favre, romo and aaron rodgers types. nice guys, bona fide hall of fame type talents until you actually watch them play on a regular and detailed basis. easy to see y rings do not seem to follow them. the one ring favre got he was reigned in by holmgren and basically backed up the running attack. 

YACs are more important then just running up and down a sideline and not risking physicality. changes the soul of a team and an offense. makes it HARDER. i like all these mor0-ns who go on and on about how the field gets stretched by moss. we are talking the freakin sidelines here. we won 3 SBs without a freakin MOSS. since when is that the only way to win? we have at least 5 receiving types who are YAC machines. just like the ravens, cards and other top winning offenses. that makes your offense more potent than pure downfield speed from one SOFT individual. 

moss is like the bad glove, big one-dimensional bat artist in baseball who strikes out 6 out of 10 times, hits around .250 but powers out 40 HRS each year like an adam dunn of old, papi of now or a dave kingman. i would prefer to have the multi-tool guy who hits .300 with a ton of walks and some pop (25HRs), strikes out little, puts everything in play and brings some toughness else where like a josh hamilton, thank you. much harder to pitch to when it matters, tougher out. again, moss is not winning any rings with his style of play. thats the bottom line of the bottom line for all you haters. 

mighty pat, learn to read. pats49, same diatribe every time. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN. Show KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]Its funny when people try and make a point , but have absolutely no idea what their talking about. In one sentence you say that Branch is an up grade , in the next you admit Moss will a better year. Moss has done absolutely everything asked of him when it comes to this O. He makes big plays , plays great decoy , demands a double team as much , if not more than anyone. Teams have to game plan every week to shut down 84. No team game plans to keep Welker out of the end-zone because he doesnt put up 6. Brady has thrown for 8 TDs this year and Moss is responsible for 6-7 of those directly/indirectly. The last TDs that Hern/Gronk/Woodhead caught were all direct results of Moss being double and coverage either going or staying w/ him. Hes taken hits and gone over the middle even though thats not his game. Hes never missed a game here. Ands hes gone because hes want a new contract. This team is built to outscore teams and we just got rid of our only real scoring threat we had. Thats the Pats though , sometimes it tough to accept at first , but thats the way our team goes about its business. I love my team w/ everything I have , but lets cut the BS w/ this Moss trade. Branch isnt an upgrade over Moss in ANY WAY , shape or form. The Pats D has to step up , its as plain as that. If we're winning anything this year its going to be 24-17 etc. Who knows , Im hoping the team rallys together and takes the " us against the world " approach. Which in a way is true , many people , including myself dont think their a better team w/out Moss.
    Posted by NOT2REGRET[/QUOTE]

READ! moss is an UPGRADE within the pats system. yep, he did all that was asked of him within his capabilities. you cant get orange juice from apples. that is bel's real genius. he doesnt ask players to do things that do not come instinctively. clear that pats finally saw what i have seen so clearly since the baltimore game of 07. we simply arent tough enough and could be bullied very easily and could no longer be counted on to win street fights esp on the road. not an insult to a moss, that just isnt his game. no way we have a shot at a ring with moss around. nice stats though, but so what? that hardly makes you a winner to winners. branch is the more WINNING player.. got it? moss' entire approach to his contract and stats, and overall me-first attitude is that of a LOSER! 

bel realized that once he was changing the scheme, it was best to get someone in here already onboard with the program, INSTINCTIVELY! not a talented one-bomb wonder per game, or a guy who gives you his usual 60 percent effort per game while demanding 60 percent of your payroll. branch will give 100% and be a team character changer while running multiple routes and doing all the little non-stat things behind the scenes and on the field that characterize WINNERS!

that my friend is an UPGRADE to the system! got it?

branch is an efficiency machine like an aaron hernandez. to make one big play, u must throw to moss 10 times, mostly with high degree of inefficiency and at the detriment of everyone else. every three efficient throws to a branch, leads to a big play. in the meantime, you do not have to worry about losing him if you do not throw his way due to better matchups elsewhere. like troy brown, a branch will find a winning way of contributing even with the ball not heading his way or without the qb looking his way. 

again, that is an UPGRADE... got it? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indylove. Show Indylove's posts

I will say this - just reading the posts this last week has been as entertaining as anything I have written here in the last 4-5 yrs.  Some (not all) of you guys just amaze me with your ability to flip your opinion like you flip a light switch. 

Either you never really believed in Moss and were lying the last few years or you are lying now.  Again - not all. 

Anyway - I'll say again (imo) this is a good long term deal for the pats.  Moss will fade more and more each game, each year, but the pats won't be better this year.  Randy still has enough speed and the hands to take the top of the defense (a commnon phrase this last week), and Brady is accurate enough to get him that ball.  The pats will miss that, and it should be expected that defenses will tighten up their zones now providing narrower throwing lanes.  Further, I would expect a little more "density" from defenses on run downs.  We'll see. 

Anyway, on to the more important stuff.  The Peyton curse - if there is one, began in 2005 with a colts win at Foxborough and continued with 2 wins in 2006.  Save for 2007 when teams were not prepared to play the Welker/Moss duo, the so called curse has remained.  Good news for pats fans is not the trading of Moss and the recommit with Branch, but rather the very pedestrian play of the colts. 

If the colts don't figure some things out (and injuries have already taken their toll), they will be another notch in the superbowl loser curse belt. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

Indy - I commend the analysis of your team - very reasonable - I also tend to agree with the premise of the beginning of your post - fans are fickle by nature

It remains to be seen if this move helps the Pats this year - I believe with this years team as constructed -with its shaky, young defense  - the best chance for the Pats to win consistently is to hold the ball longer on offense - keeping the defense off the field and fresher when on it - Randy Moss's skill set does not mesh with a conservative, west coast style passing attack - add to that him being in the last year of his deal and being more concerned with his personal stats that the teams success - Moss was set to be a huge distraction for the rest of the year -

I see the Moss move as addition by subtraction - we'll see how it plays out - big test of the new plan this Sunday

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Indy, articulate post.

However, I think you mistake an evolving opinion for a flip flop.  A lot of us were not aware of some of the whispered lockerroom disruption by Moss until recently. With new information comes new perception.

For me, my support of Moss started to wane with his week-one post-game. Even before that, I was disappointed to hear the way he vented last winter about it being his "last year" at N.E. 

It was obvious that his production was down dramatically this year, and not just because he was a decoy.  He dropped a lot of catchable balls in the Jets game and should have caught the EZ pass in the Miami game.  Tough catch, yeah.  But that's why he was paid top-dollar...to make those catches most of the time.  He wasn't doing that any more.

Then in the last 10 days we hear about arguments and confrontations and snubs. Nobody wants to work with somebody causing those distractions, so maybe he was hurting the Pats' chemistry.  Chemistry is what got them three rings. The Miami game and the Moss trade has us thinking they are returning to that style, so naturally we are embracing more and more this Moss trade.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from chromatic8. Show chromatic8's posts

[QUOTE]... Then in the last 10 days we hear about arguments and confrontations and snubs. Nobody wants to work with somebody causing those distractions, so maybe he was hurting the Pats' chemistry.  ...
    Posted by chrisakawoody[/QUOTE]

So what do you think of Brady & Belichick saying those things didn't happen and guys like Wilfork & I forget who saying Moss is one of the best people you'll ever meet?  Are they all lying? I think people are quick to believe what they want to believe and that's why some of these bogus stories were floated - makes it easier for fans to feel better about the loss of Moss while the new guys develop.

Now I personally think it's good for the Pats to move to a more balanced attack or to develop different players in the role of deep threat but I don't think we need Randy Moss to be the villain of the story to make that happen. He's a guy who found out he was being outsourced but asked to stay a year to train his replacement(s). He acted more honorably than most I've seen in that actual situation.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Branch IS AN UPGRADE... PEYTON CURSE IS OVER! : What do you expect a player in Branch's position to do?  Take a hometown discount?  Foxboro isn't his home town.  Players will follow the money, and I don't blame them a bit.  It's a violent game and their careers are short.  Contracts aren't guaranteed, so they need to get as much up front as possible.  That's the system the NFL and the PA have devised.  To my recollection, Branch didn't do what Mankins is doing?  He did what he had to do to get to a place that would pay him top dollar.  The Pats offered to pay Mankins top dollar and he (his agent?) decided they wanted out anyway.  I don't see these situations as analagous.
    Posted by Muzwell[/QUOTE]

I'm sure Tom would have loved to be earning the 15 million dollars a year that Peyton has been earning his whole career. I'm sure Harrison and Bruschi would've loved it too, but I'm not mad at Branch for wanting to make as much as he could in his prime. I'm mad at him for taking away a legitimate chance at a Superbowl in 2006 when the dynasty defense still had some spark left in it. Branch is a joke, he's on my joke list.  

There's nothing I hate more than a guy who puts himself above the team and in turn costs the team. I was in Army JROTC, I was a member of the color guard. It was out last drill competition before we graduated and our JROTC rifle choose to spend time with some girl he had just met that he broke up with two weeks later rather than to come compete with us. Just because he didn't want to go we didn't have enough members to perform. We've been trying to win at a competition since our freshman year, we graduated without placing (coming in 1st, 2nd or 3rd) once in a competition. I hate guys who put themselves ahead of the team. Branch is one of those guys. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Seems like some people forget that the NFL isn't high school.  For the players it's a full-time job, not an after-school activity. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indylove. Show Indylove's posts

[QUOTE]Indy, articulate post. However, I think you mistake an evolving opinion for a flip flop.  A lot of us were not aware of some of the whispered lockerroom disruption by Moss until recently. With new information comes new perception. For me, my support of Moss started to wane with his week-one post-game. Even before that, I was disappointed to hear the way he vented last winter about it being his "last year" at N.E.  It was obvious that his production was down dramatically this year, and not just because he was a decoy.  He dropped a lot of catchable balls in the Jets game and should have caught the EZ pass in the Miami game.  Tough catch, yeah.  But that's why he was paid top-dollar...to make those catches most of the time.  He wasn't doing that any more. Then in the last 10 days we hear about arguments and confrontations and snubs. Nobody wants to work with somebody causing those distractions, so maybe he was hurting the Pats' chemistry.  Chemistry is what got them three rings. The Miami game and the Moss trade has us thinking they are returning to that style, so naturally we are embracing more and more this Moss trade.  
    Posted by chrisakawoody[/QUOTE]

Without sounding like an as$, I don't buy it.  Evolution is an extremely long process of change.  The opinion change here occurred overnight.  In fact, it did not even take that long. 

Who really knows if there were locker room problems.  The real question is why would you (not specifically you but pats fans in general) believe these reports, but were unwilling to believe that Brady was disgruntled in the offseason about not having a new contract?  The only thing pats fans aren't fickle about is their allegience to the team.  The minute one goes, it doesn't matter what the reasons were, that player just became scum and vice versa. 

For example, as recently as this summer, there were some here panning Branch.  He was a money grabber.  Now, he is the pats fans favorite shiny new (or used) toy. 

Ultimately, we'll never know why the pats traded Moss.  Me, I believe it was plain and simply a business deal.  Belichick has demonstrated before that players he likely would not give a future contract to are trade bait.  Get something (anything) rather than nothing.  Guarantee Mankins will be shopped.  Can't be yet.  Question is, will another team bite?   

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

NottoRegre - Strange statement about Moss.  First he is not clutch, not in the biggest games.  Our SB offense was infinitely superior to this 07, 09 offense where it counts, and even the "Reche Caldwell" 06 offense was superior, and both these points are down the December stretch and even more so in the playoffs.  

All I really need to say is that the Pats, with the great Randy Moss, scored a whopping 14 points in the SB and last years playoff game against the Ravens.

Both losses, but more important, the offense, so great as you say wasn't built for the playoffs.

Even The 06 offense, worst of BBs offensive teams everyone says, but they scored 34 points against an excellent Colts D, and our SB clubs had great clutch WRs when it mattered most, so please get off the double teaming Moss, and realize he has never been a great big game player.

I guarantee, if Jerry Rice had played in the SB 2 years ago instead of Moss, double or triple teamed or not, he would have found holes in the D to get very quick throws from Brady as the blitz came blasting though our terrible Oline.  HE was a far superior receiver in every way when it mattered. Rice got the big TDs in the biggest games, and Moss got them when we were up 35 pts.  HE has always been a loser playing on the highest scoring teams in history, and they always failed miserably when it mattered most. 

Double team Rice and he'd still get his very clutch catches.  Truly great players step up no matter what, such as Brady, Montana, Russell, MJ, Deon Branch, and losers choke when it matters most like Peyton who in his 9-10 playoff career, when his team loses all those 10 games, they only avg 12 freakin points a game. Also, Karl Malone, Farve, Bonds, a huge choke, and Moss, all seem to make bonehead plays when it matters or simply don't step up.  All have great stats, and as BB, the late great redhead, and all the great coaches say, Stats are for losers, and Moss is a loser letting one DB shut him down at a time, Revis then Cromartie, and that TD against us was perfectly covered by Comartie, and it was the throw, not Moss, put in the only place it could be caught, not Moss' greatness. 

Yes, if Branch can play anywhere close to his old self, when the biggest games come up, he is a true MVP! 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indylove. Show Indylove's posts

[QUOTE]First All I really need to say is that the Pats, with the great Randy Moss, scored a whopping 14 points in the SB... Posted by quasi[/QUOTE]

I think Plax was playing defense.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

[QUOTE]If you think Branch can't do anything better than Moss, you don't know football or these particular players very well. Moss was a terrible route runner, outside of the graceful fly routes. Moss averages about half the YAC on his career that Branch does, Branch is better developed at reading coverage.  Moss is a much more unique athlete and had a knack for using his body to generate space and a soft landing zone for the football. When he was younger he had a top speed that was unmatched in the open field. He is still faster than Branch full sprint. But NE will see marked improvements in some areas. And yeah, I won't miss the fading Moss. You know the one who takes six or seven deep tries (wasted downs and sometimes picks) to generate one 37 yard TD. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Great post.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indylove. Show Indylove's posts

So, is it safe to assume with the quick about face re: Moss, that this Belichick experiment was a failure?

Sections
Shortcuts