Brandon docked 50 k........!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

Brandon docked 50 k........!!

He got wacked with a 50 k fine.........wow ..that would get my attention......some say it wasn't more because BB took him out right away. He would have lost less money being suspended.........Goodell making a point again.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Re: Brandon docked 50 k........!!

I agree with the fine. For those that say the fine means nothing to players, they're wrong in this case. Merriweather's game check is about $32,000 so he would have been better off suspended.

I also heard that other players said they'd chip in for Brandon, which is a good move from a team standpoint but it ultimately defeats the purpose.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

I agree with protecting the players . Rodney of all people is sticking up for them. If he was playing still they would have tossed him out of a couple games. Which bring me a to a thought or question more less. The league went from fines to suspensions over night. What about tossing guys from games . Thats seems logically after fining a guy. then suspending him. I don't think I have ever seen a play ejected in a game for that . Have you guys?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In Response to Re: Brandon docked 50 k........!!:
    I agree with protecting the players . Rodney of all people is sticking up for them. If he was playing still they would have tossed him out of a couple games. Which bring me a to a thought or question more less. The league went from fines to suspensions over night. What about tossing guys from games . Thats seems logically after fining a guy. then suspending him. I don't think I have ever seen a play ejected in a game for that . Have you guys?
    Posted by EASON11

The last ejection I remember is Haynesworth stepping on the face of a Dallas player.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Just use the shoulder. it's not that hard to do. It's safer, as effective in dislodging a ball and better technique. 

I have no issue with the fine, but why is Goodell acting like this is new?

I do find it suspicious Dunta Robinson and Harrison are apparently getting off scott free here.

Where was this outrage in previous seasons?

Another example of Goodell looking to use NE as the scapegoat. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Just use the shoulder. it's not that hard to do. It's safer, as effective in dislodging a ball and better technique.  I have no issue with the fine, but why is Goodell acting like this is new? I do find it suspicious Dunta Robinson and Harrison are apparently getting off scott free here. Where was this outrage in previous seasons? Another example of Goodell looking to use NE as the scapegoat. 
    Posted by BBReigns

Harrison and Dunta Robinson have been also been fined.

I think Robinson got the worst of it because his hit really didn't look illegal. It was shoulder first but the head/neck flew back violently adding to the effect.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Just use the shoulder. it's not that hard to do. It's safer, as effective in dislodging a ball and better technique.  I have no issue with the fine, but why is Goodell acting like this is new? I do find it suspicious Dunta Robinson and Harrison are apparently getting off scott free here. Where was this outrage in previous seasons? Another example of Goodell looking to use NE as the scapegoat. 
    Posted by BBReigns

It has nothing to do with NE.  What's happening is that the whole long-term brain damage issue has started to get publicized in the past few years and the NFL is scared that if they don't do something now they are going to face significant legal and regulatory problems. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

The brain damage thing is laughable. It reminds me of a kid I went to HS with that wasn't too bright. He was smoking pot in a boiler room with a gas leak & got blown trough a wall. His lawyers argued the kid got messed up by the blast & won an award. My boss knew the kid, & when told of the award & the reasoning, he asked the kid "How could they tell?" in reference to the kid being born stupid.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Good. That is the appropriate thing to do. Hopefully he learns a lesson and protects himself and his opponent better. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Frankly, I am more concerned with the affect it had on the game itself. Arrington felt it was an intimidating pivotal point. I felt the play cost us yardage etc....Mayo was going to lay him out legally anyway. The fine does not surprise me at all. Wasn't the first, won't be the last.....it is a collision sport...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: Brandon docked 50 k........!! : Harrison and Dunta Robinson have been also been fined. I think Robinson got the worst of it because his hit really didn't look illegal. It was shoulder first but the head/neck flew back violently adding to the effect.
    Posted by apdynasty23

This is where we're going to see problems from the league's latest knee-jerk reaction. When league officials start perusing game film to determine not just if hits are strictly within the rules, but if they're "too hard," you're going to start to see players who aren't sure what they are and are not allowed to do, and that is going to dillute the product. I don't have a problem fining and/or suspending players who deliberately (and repeatedly -- I'm looking at you, Mr. Harrison) flout the rules with clear disregard for safety (their own included), but I can already see the league going too far with this thing, and there is going to be plenty of "put them in skirts and knee socks" reaction to this, unless I miss my guess.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: Brandon docked 50 k........!! : This is where we're going to see problems from the league's latest knee-jerk reaction. When league officials start perusing game film to determine not just if hits are strictly within the rules, but if they're "too hard," you're going to start to see players who aren't sure what they are and are not allowed to do, and that is going to dillute the product. I don't have a problem fining and/or suspending players who deliberately (and repeatedly -- I'm looking at you, Mr. Harrison) flout the rules with clear disregard for safety (their own included), but I can already see the league going too far with this thing, and there is going to be plenty of "put them in skirts and knee socks" reaction to this, unless I miss my guess.
    Posted by p-mike

PM they already did that. Bob Sanders was fined for a h-2-h retroactively last season (or the season before I can't recall). The ref actually just found a picture of a hit online, and thought it was too much, then went to the film archive and fined the guy. 

Yes, I agree, they should work on the Ike Taylor's of the league, who are subpar players who merely "enforce," but the subjective aspect of this has potential to get out of hand, especially once stars can potentially be removed for big games.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

In Response to Re: Brandon docked 50 k........!! : Harrison and Dunta Robinson have been also been fined. I think Robinson got the worst of it because his hit really didn't look illegal. It was shoulder first but the head/neck flew back violently adding to the effect.
    Posted by apdynasty23

Yeah, Robinson's didn't really look like the leading with helmet variety, maybe they used the 'defenseless player' rule.  After watching the replay a bunch, it really looks like Brandon was almost trying to go helmet to helmet.  If so, the fine is warrented and he is lucky he gets to play next week. 

As far as kicking guys out of games for these hits, that is tough b/c to make a call at live speed as to whether or not a hit is worthy of getting kicked out is pretty tough for the officials to do.  I think if they feel the intent was there they can apply the penalty and the league can look at it the next day and decide if fines/suspension are appropriate.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fitz0527. Show fitz0527's posts

Absolutely warranted. Suprised he avoided a suspension. Some head to head collisions are unavoidable but this clearly wasn't one of them.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

Posted by apdynasty23

But here in lies the problem.  Now, you are going to see players get fined on perfectly legal hits but because they knocked the recipient of the hit goofy, he will get fined for it. 
    The league either wants to see good, hard, clean hits or not.
    Don't fine a player just because he knocked the cr*p out of someone on a clean hit.  But trust me, you are going to this happen more times than you think.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

At least they fined Harrison 75k. I agree with the other posters about the regulation of this becoming a real problem. the NBA is the worst officiated sport in the U.S. It is so because almost all foul calls are left up to the interpretation of the ref, or a judgment call. As the NFL gets closer to that style, I think more controversies will arise from it. As bad as the h-h hits were this past weekend there were also a dozen or so not called at all. They need to have a more defined statement on these rules that can take the guess work out of the process. This is not an easy thing to do but for the league to suddenly have to "re-enforce" an existing rule(again) tells me that they really havent paid much attention to it in the recent past. Last I checked this was always a violent league. Why not bring this up at the annual meetings? Why so late to the party?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanadianPat. Show CanadianPat's posts

Mike Tomlin - Dumb As$ Award for Harrison H to H comment

"Steelers coach Mike Tomlin favors the NFL's stricter enforcement of helmet hits. But he still insists linebacker James Harrison's violent hit on Browns receiver Mohamed Massaquoi was within the rules."

So he favours action, but only when it applies to players who don't play for the Steelers .... Harrison tried ot kill the guy, anybody can see that in the video.  Mike should heed his Mom, if you got nothing intelligent to say, keep your yap shut.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Might as well give the offense 7 points every time they touch the ball because soon defenders aren't going to be allowed to touch the offensive players. 

And nice, some of you "Patriots" fans are calling for your own guy to be suspended. Some fans, I doubt the Steeler or Falcon fans are calling for one of their own players to be suspended. If Rodney made that hit most of you would be saying how it's Football, but since it's Brandon, suspend him. 

Some of you just have an axe to grind with the guy. At least he didn't quit on his team like your new hero, Deion Branch. 

Sections
Shortcuts