Brandon LaFell is now a Patriot.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Re: Brandon LaFell is now a Patriot.

In response to agill1970's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like the signing, but I'm curious about the money.  I mean, he's getting Steve Smith money, how is that even possible? 

[/QUOTE]

Cap is jumping 10-15M next year,

also he's only 25 still young and has the skills to be productive w TB and it's not like 3.8ish mil a year is horrible. He's not a washed up vet for 1-2 mil. closer to 3 M woulda been nice but it's not bad for a 25yo who by year 3 in this deal could be worth way more than 3.8 a year

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Getzo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lafells and Britt better then Decker, come on.

[/QUOTE]

Talent wise?  Let's see what Decker does next year as a number 1.  Britt's issue was never talent.  Maybe his knee injury deailed him as well as his legal issues.  

[/QUOTE]

With Gino Smith throwing to him?  lol!  what a dumb move by Decker.  They had to have promised him another QB coming in. 

[/QUOTE]

How was it a dumb move by Decker? Let's be real, this offseason was probably going to give him the biggest contract of his career. It would be unwise in a business sense not to take the best deal available, regardless of how good or bad the team is.

It's not a dumb move by Decker if the Jets gave him the best offer. In a short career that can become even shorter with one nasty hit, it's probably unwise not to maximize your total value.

[/QUOTE]

I think he could have got a good deal with a better team.  I like money, but I like Championships too.  No Championships in Jet land.  Gino Smith LMAO!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to agill1970's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like the signing, but I'm curious about the money.  I mean, he's getting Steve Smith money, how is that even possible? 

[/QUOTE]

Cap is jumping 10-15M next year,

also he's only 25 still young and has the skills to be productive w TB and it's not like 3.8ish mil a year is horrible. He's not a washed up vet for 1-2 mil. closer to 3 M woulda been nice but it's not bad for a 25yo who by year 3 in this deal could be worth way more than 3.8 a year

[/QUOTE]

Plus there might be only a small portion as guaranteed money. Hopefully anyways even though i like the signing. Still hope they sign Britt.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

OK but he was in last week and he must have impressed someone with his receiving skills. They gave him a 3 year contract. IMO His growth was stunted in Carolina, coming out of LSU he was a pretty impressive Receiver, and he did run a 4.54 40, that's not running slow! He's not some 190 lb WR! Dude is close to 220lbs. Am I overly excited with the signing? Not really but he does have some ability he caught 49 passes from Cam Newton this past season for 600 yards, that would have been second on this team last year! Also they are bringing in the once shining star Kenny Britt today. He's at least as good as Emmanuel Sanders!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

I like the signing. But he does have very small hands (8 3/4) to catch those bullet passes from Brady.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

If just one of Dobson, Boyce  - or even Tompkins - breaks out to his talent level next year, then it's a pretty good corps of WRs.  

The Gronk situation is the BIG ELEPHANT in the room. Who will he be next year?  How will he be?  When will he be?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I like the signing.  The issue re: contract price is largely a funciton of the guaranteed money as so many others have said. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like Lafell as a camp body...hopefully there isnt too much guaranteed in the contract.

He's a 400-700 yard receiver IMO....I'm hoping he's just here as a rotation player for one season until Dobson/KT/Boyce develop

[/QUOTE]

Actually, it's bad news for KT. Boyce, Amendola, Edelman and Dobson are all locks with Slater getting a default spot. That means KT, Harrison and Lafell are going to have to throw down for that last spot.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

I'm good with loading up on guys for big competition at camp. 

There was no way to get a top of line receiver right now, so hoping Gronk will stay healthy and combine with Edelman, Amendola (also healthy I hope!), and a bunch of other WRs and I'm good with that. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Something regarding Lafell that caught my eye is he has only missed 4 games his entire career.  

[/QUOTE]

LaFell is known as one of the best blocking WRs in the NFL. Now, if he can catch some passes...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]

Britt is certainly more talented than Decker. maybe more 'talented' or naturally gifted than most 6'3 225... but the key is first, getting his dumb azs outta trouble then two, motivating his dum bass to try hard out on the field.

he's had some monster games to showcase that talent and others games where you just scratch your head

[/QUOTE]

Does signing LaFell to a 3 year, $11mil. deal, nullify any legitimate chance of signing Britt?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Britt is certainly more talented than Decker. maybe more 'talented' or naturally gifted than most 6'3 225... but the key is first, getting his dumb azs outta trouble then two, motivating his dum bass to try hard out on the field.

he's had some monster games to showcase that talent and others games where you just scratch your head

[/QUOTE]

Does signing LaFell to a 3 year, $11mil. deal, nullify any legitimate chance of signing Britt?

[/QUOTE]

In for a visit today. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Lafelle fits our trend of short to mid field receiving options, accept that he has the size to shore up a possession receiver hole we've had since David Givens. We have patched in a few guys(Lloyd, Branch) but in the end  most of the guys who do well in our system are not speedy down field receivers(chad and his 18.4 ypc for us) but shorter midfield options.  Lafelle fits our system.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

Lafelle fits our trend of short to mid field receiving options, accept that he has the size to shore up a possession receiver hole we've had since David Givens. We have patched in a few guys(Lloyd, Branch) but in the end  most of the guys who do well in our system are not speedy down field receivers(chad and his 18.4 ypc for us) but shorter midfield options.  Lafelle fits our system.

Good post.  He is definitely that larger possession receiver type, in the Givens mold.  I do think that a good, fast, and relatively big downfield receiver would be a nice addition, though.  Moss certainly was that, and he was fine in the sytem.  We just haven't had a deep receiver anywhere near his talent level in quite some time.  

I do like the LaFell signing, because I think he gives us something we need.  Will be interesting to see how Thompkins competes with him, because they seem like similar types of receivers to me. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good post.  He is definitely that larger possession receiver type, in the Givens mold.  I do think that a good, fast, and relatively big downfield receiver would be a nice addition, though.  Moss certainly was that, and he was fine in the sytem.  We just haven't had a deep receiver anywhere near his talent level in quite some time.  

I do like the LaFell signing, because I think he gives us something we need.  Will be interesting to see how Thompkins competes with him, because they seem like similar types of receivers to me. 

[/QUOTE]

I wish we would get one/use one too, but the fact is, a speedy down field receiver doesn't do well in our system. Galloway was still one of the best down field receivers in the league when we signed him, but we tried to conform him into our option route system which was a mistake. If a speedy down field threat was important to us we could have just sent him on go routes every sunday but we didn't.

Moss can't be used as an example because Moss is probably the greatest down field receiver in nfl history. We still need guys to run some occasional deep routes, but Chad was a perfect fit for that as he was top 5 in the league in yards per catch for us(a career high for chad) and we still didn't play him.

The system was more important then the talent. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think you are right about the comparison to Thompkins. I think this signing was about trying to upgrade that spot. I know they have a long way to go before the 53 man roster is set but it looks like Thompkins might be the odd man out.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I wouldn't complain at all over this signing...does anyone remember who/what we signed this time last year? WE signed Michael Jenkins, Donald Jones and some dope from the Titans...then we cut Lloyd because he was due a roster bonus. And we also tried to muscle Welker and ended up with Amendola. That is what we did.

Now we sign a former second round pick who has size, some NFL production and is in his prime...how's that even a comparison to what we usually do? We gave him a 3 year 11 million dollar contract - I imagine they like him if they did that - if he can be a decent number two option I'll like him too. I already like him better than what we signed last year.

I remember the days when we used to have off seasons like this - signing good players who are in their prime or heading into their prime - this is the way I like it. No more of the over the hill has beens for cheap. No more of the low risk, high reward! Types. No more of passing over a Brandon Browner and ending up with a Steven Gregory and saying...he had more value. Keep it going.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Bingo! And I hope you're right, I hope this guy is here to basically to unseat Thompkins because too me he is the guy who has the least bit of upside amongst our young guys. He just doesn't look like he can do it physically too me. Hopefully Dobson's foot will be fine and we can roll out two big young receivers, who wil have one of the most accurate QB's of all time throwing to them.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I wish we would get one/use one too, but the fact is, a speedy down field receiver doesn't do well in our system. Galloway was still one of the best down field receivers in the league when we signed him, but we tried to conform him into our option route system which was a mistake. If a speedy down field threat was important to us we could have just sent him on go routes every sunday but we didn't.

Moss can't be used as an example because Moss is probably the greatest down field receiver in nfl history. We still need guys to run some occasional deep routes, but Chad was a perfect fit for that as he was top 5 in the league in yards per catch for us(a career high for chad) and we still didn't play him.

The system was more important then the talent. 

[/QUOTE]

I'd disagree with that.  Galloway's production had dropped off precipitously the year before we signed him and he was out of the league the next year.   This is one of the things that BB seems to be doing a bit differently this year in free agency.  He's signing guys who are healthy and still in their prime, rather than signing guys at the end of their careers or coming off injuries. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think you are right about the comparison to Thompkins. I think this signing was about trying to upgrade that spot. I know they have a long way to go before the 53 man roster is set but it looks like Thompkins might be the odd man out.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what I think too. Upgrading the middle / back of the receiving corps, lafell>thompkins. I don't think thompkins has a high ceiling, we may have seen everything he has last year.

i hope they sign britt as well. Yes a knucklehead, but the talent is obvious. If he can keep his head on straight, he will be a good target for Brady.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I wouldn't complain at all over this signing...does anyone remember who/what we signed this time last year? WE signed Michael Jenkins, Donald Jones and some dope from the Titans...then we cut Lloyd because he was due a roster bonus. And we also tried to muscle Welker and ended up with Amendola. That is what we did.

Now we sign a former second round pick who has size, some NFL production and is in his prime...how's that even a comparison to what we usually do? We gave him a 3 year 11 million dollar contract - I imagine they like him if they did that - if he can be a decent number two option I'll like him too. I already like him better than what we signed last year.

I remember the days when we used to have off seasons like this - signing good players who are in their prime or heading into their prime - this is the way I like it. No more of the over the hill has beens for cheap. No more of the low risk, high reward! Types. No more of passing over a Brandon Browner and ending up with a Steven Gregory and saying...he had more value. Keep it going.

Yeah Lafelle is a way better player then Jenkins.

Lafelle 1st 4 years,  167 catches 13 tds.

Jenkins 1st 4 years 130 catches 14 tds.

Jenkins in 8 years before we signed him 350 catches 25 tds, also known as what Lafelle is on pace for. The only difference between these 2 acquisitions is that we signed Lafelle at a younger age then we signed Jenkins for and paid 10x as much because of it. They are very similar players with almost identical career pathes to this point.

Hopefully Lafelle bucks the trend of veteran receivers who can't figure out or meet the demands of our obviously complex pass offense, because if he can't he is a 11 million dollar gamble, which is about 11x more financial risk then Jenkins was.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what I think too. Upgrading the middle / back of the receiving corps, lafell>thompkins. I don't think thompkins has a high ceiling, we may have seen everything he has last year.

i hope they sign britt as well. Yes a knucklehead, but the talent is obvious. If he can keep his head on straight, he will be a good target for Brady.

[/QUOTE]

I posted in another thread that Britt has all the physical tools except the one between his ears. In some cases that could be the most important tool for a WR in this system.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Worth noting that Thompkins in 12 games just about matched Lafelle's career high production. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

In response to Sobchack's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If just one of Dobson, Boyce  - or even Tompkins - breaks out to his talent level next year, then it's a pretty good corps of WRs.  

The Gronk situation is the BIG ELEPHANT in the room. Who will he be next year?  How will he be?  When will he be?

[/QUOTE]

Gronk is THE riddle for the Pats.  Good questions that have no answers- yet.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to mthurl's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah Lafelle is a way better player then Jenkins.

Lafelle 1st 4 years,  167 catches 13 tds.

Jenkins 1st 4 years 130 catches 14 tds.

Jenkins in 8 years before we signed him 350 catches 25 tds, also known as what Lafelle is on pace for. The only difference between these 2 acquisitions is that we signed Lafelle at a younger age then we signed Jenkins for and paid 10x as much because of it. They are very similar players with almost identical career pathes to this point.

Hopefully Lafelle bucks the trend of veteran receivers who can't figure out or meet the demands of our obviously complex pass offense, because if he can't he is a 11 million dollar gamble, which is about 11x more financial risk then Jenkins was.

[/QUOTE]

The big difference, though, is Jenkins had already played 9 years in the NFL when we signed him . . . and he never played again, either for us or anyone else.   I mean Jerry Rice is better than any WR ever, but what he did in the 1980s is irrelevant to what he can do today and I'd rather sign Brandon LaFell than Jerry Rice right now . . . right now, LaFell is a much better player than Jerry Rice. 

Sections
Shortcuts