Brandon LaFell is now a Patriot.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Brandon LaFell is now a Patriot.

In response to darwk's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Sobchack's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If just one of Dobson, Boyce  - or even Tompkins - breaks out to his talent level next year, then it's a pretty good corps of WRs.  

The Gronk situation is the BIG ELEPHANT in the room. Who will he be next year?  How will he be?  When will he be?

[/QUOTE]

Gronk is THE riddle for the Pats.  Good questions that have no answers- yet.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly . . . and hence the need to sign some big WRs.  If we're weak at TE, bigger receivers will help us in the redzone.  We weren't great in the redzone last year when Gronk was out.  Having a second good TE would be very nice (and I hope we get one), but big WRs can help us too. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mthurl's comment:

[QUOTE]

I wouldn't complain at all over this signing...does anyone remember who/what we signed this time last year? WE signed Michael Jenkins, Donald Jones and some dope from the Titans...then we cut Lloyd because he was due a roster bonus. And we also tried to muscle Welker and ended up with Amendola. That is what we did.

Now we sign a former second round pick who has size, some NFL production and is in his prime...how's that even a comparison to what we usually do? We gave him a 3 year 11 million dollar contract - I imagine they like him if they did that - if he can be a decent number two option I'll like him too. I already like him better than what we signed last year.

I remember the days when we used to have off seasons like this - signing good players who are in their prime or heading into their prime - this is the way I like it. No more of the over the hill has beens for cheap. No more of the low risk, high reward! Types. No more of passing over a Brandon Browner and ending up with a Steven Gregory and saying...he had more value. Keep it going.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah Lafelle is a way better player then Jenkins.

Lafelle 1st 4 years,  167 catches 13 tds.

Jenkins 1st 4 years 130 catches 14 tds.

Jenkins in 8 years before we signed him 350 catches 25 tds, also known as what Lafelle is on pace for. The only difference between these 2 acquisitions is that we signed Lafelle at a younger age then we signed Jenkins for and paid 10x as much because of it. They are very similar players with almost identical career pathes to this point.

Hopefully Lafelle bucks the trend of veteran receivers who can't figure out or meet the demands of our obviously complex pass offense, because if he can't he is a 11 million dollar gamble, which is about 11x more financial risk then Jenkins was.

[/QUOTE]

Well I think the obvious difference is we signed Jenkins when he was washed up/old. Do you know what his nickname was? Molasses. We signed an old receiver, who may of been a decent number two when he was young, who now was called molasses. Big difference in my opinion.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Lafelle fits our trend of short to mid field receiving options, accept that he has the size to shore up a possession receiver hole we've had since David Givens. We have patched in a few guys(Lloyd, Branch) but in the end  most of the guys who do well in our system are not speedy down field receivers(chad and his 18.4 ypc for us) but shorter midfield options.  Lafelle fits our system.

[/QUOTE]

Good post.  He is definitely that larger possession receiver type, in the Givens mold.  I do think that a good, fast, and relatively big downfield receiver would be a nice addition, though.  Moss certainly was that, and he was fine in the sytem.  We just haven't had a deep receiver anywhere near his talent level in quite some time.  

I do like the LaFell signing, because I think he gives us something we need.  Will be interesting to see how Thompkins competes with him, because they seem like similar types of receivers to me. 

[/QUOTE]

I think you are right about the comparison to Thompkins. I think this signing was about trying to upgrade that spot. I know they have a long way to go before the 53 man roster is set but it looks like Thompkins might be the odd man out.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what I think too. Upgrading the middle / back of the receiving corps, lafell>thompkins. I don't think thompkins has a high ceiling, we may have seen everything he has last year.

i hope they sign britt as well. Yes a knucklehead, but the talent is obvious. If he can keep his head on straight, he will be a good target for Brady.

[/QUOTE]

Worth noting that Thompkins in 12 games just about matched Lafelle's career high production. 

[/QUOTE]

It's also worth noting that Lafelle didn't have Tom Brady throwing him the ball. I hope that makes a difference, if not then he will be cut.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Any info on the most important aspect of the deal.. the guaranteed $?  

I haven't been able to find anything.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Seems like that info takes a few days to leak out . . . and the details keep getting revised as reporters learn more, so we probably won't have a good idea until sometime next week.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree this is the most important part as LaFell to me isn't a #1 or #2 WR he's a complimentary piece with upside so low guaranteed makes this a good signing. Someone if it doesn't work out can easily be cut without much worry. 

This offseason is turning into a much, much better one than last offseason. Instead of buying low on a bunch of complimentary pieces ad counting on them to start it looks like the Pats have actually invested into younger starting caliber players in their prime and are now looking at complimentary piece to fill in depth areas. Essentially what most of us have asked for, for years but it's great to see BB shifting tactics a little and tweaking his system to invest in the right players then argument what they already have in low end players (ie Revis, Browner as starters and LaFell as a possible improvement to Thompkins but low enouh if he doesn't work doesn't hurt them)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

Tom's now got options and lots of them. 4 Ends, Juian, Bobson, Lafall, Danny. These guys know how to get open. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to proftom2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Tom's now got options and lots of them. 4 Ends, Juian, Bobson, Lafall, Danny. These guys know how to get open. 

[/QUOTE]

I'd still like for him to have a #1 type. All these guys are more complimentary pieces. However, if they get a TE early in the draft it would certainly make the receiving core much stronger. At this point though I'm not convinced Amendola will last past the camp. Seems like they are really down on him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

I haven't read the whole thread, but any word on the numbers of the deal? 3 years for how much money? How much is guaranteed?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

I like it. Now draft Odell Beckham. ...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Seems like that info takes a few days to leak out . . . and the details keep getting revised as reporters learn more, so we probably won't have a good idea until sometime next week.  

Ya. I was checking a Panthers forum (http://www.carolinahuddle.com/boards/forum/7-carolina-panthers/) and someone posted in the thread 3 years, 11 mill, but no word on the guaranteed money. If the guaranteed money is low, then it should be a good to decent deal.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

Also, while LaFell has not shown anything special, I like that he is big (6 ft 3 in), young, and healthy (has played 60 out of 64 possible games). I don't think he has any stud potential, but he could contribute as a nice #3/4 WR.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to 56redsox's comment:

There's a decent chance that Beckham is off the board by the time NE is on the clock, in Rd 1.

Beckham is a good player and I'm all for trading up, but I'd prefer that player be a Kony Ealy or Calvin Pryor or Irish Chocolate or CJ Mosley or Timmy Jernigan, etc.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to AyyyBoston's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Also, while LaFell has not shown anything special, I like that he is big (6 ft 3 in), young, and healthy (has played 60 out of 64 possible games). I don't think he has any stud potential, but he could contribute as a nice #3/4 WR.

[/QUOTE]

I think his true value lies where their WR's seemed to struggle last season... in the redzone, where his size and willingness/ability to work the middle of the field will pay dividends.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to AyyyBoston's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And too me if he turns into a David Givens type, wouldn't that be great? I imagine that's what they are banking on. They signed a big, young guy who has some production and is hitting his prime...sounds smart too me. And I bet the guaranteed money isn't that much if it doesn't work out. I like these type of signings.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to proftom2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'd still like for him to have a #1 type. All these guys are more complimentary pieces. However, if they get a TE early in the draft it would certainly make the receiving core much stronger. At this point though I'm not convinced Amendola will last past the camp. Seems like they are really down on him.

[/QUOTE]

May not be the best WR crew in the league, but imagine being a Carolina fan. You've lost Smith, LaFell and Ginn and added nobody. You now have people named Tavarres King, Toney Clemons, Kealoha Pilares and Marvin McNutt as your depth chart. I'm sure Cam is thrilled.

Hey, maybe that's what Salary Cap Hell looks like! Say (Ke)aloha to the devil for me.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]

There's a decent chance that Beckham is off the board by the time NE is on the clock, in Rd 1.

Beckham is a good player and I'm all for trading up, but I'd prefer that player be a Kony Ealy or Calvin Pryor or Irish Chocolate or CJ Mosley or Timmy Jernigan, etc.

[/QUOTE]

What about Nix? Seems to be a need, if he's there at 29.

EDIT: Oh wait...never mind. Signed, Emily Litella.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ha, Irish Chocolate = Louis Nix III

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

May not be the best WR crew in the league, but imagine being a Carolina fan. You've lost Smith, LaFell and Ginn and added nobody. You now have people named Tavarres King, Toney Clemons, Kealoha Pilares and Marvin McNutt as your depth chart. I'm sure Cam is thrilled.

Hey, maybe that's what Salary Cap Hell looks like! Say (Ke)aloha to the devil for me.

[/QUOTE]

That's how I felt last year with the Pats. I considered Amendola, Jones, and Jenkins as nobody. Also how I felt about the Pas in 06'. Appearently BB agrees considering really the only two times he's broken the mold and went out and got a top 10 FA and another extremely solid starter or two was in 07' and this year

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He'd be my first choice but don't think he's there at 29. Hageman or Tuitt are more likely but either would be a welcome addition!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Carolina has now lost Steve Smith, Ten Ginn, Domenik Hixon and Brandon LaFell, if you thought our WR corps was bad... these fans are having breakdowns

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/boards/topic/98876-donald-to-the-patriots/

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/boards/topic/98879-james-jones-is-literally-the-only-decent-fa-receiver-left/

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/boards/topic/98873-broncos-expected-to-sign-wr-emmanuel-sanders/

seriously read these, pretty funny and each has only 10-15 posts so its quick. i feel bad for them

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's how I felt last year with the Pats. I considered Amendola, Jones, and Jenkins as nobody. Also how I felt about the Pas in 06'. Appearently BB agrees considering really the only two times he's broken the mold and went out and got a top 10 FA and another extremely solid starter or two was in 07' and this year

[/QUOTE]

Seriously? You're comparing Edelman, Amendola, Dobson and Boyce (plus Collie) to King, Clemons, Pilares and McNutt? I looked it up, the Carolina guys have a combined 5 career receptions for 85 yards. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

Browner   6'4"    LaFell 6'2"

BB finally got the memo......

NO MORE MIDGETS !!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He'd be my first choice but don't think he's there at 29. Hageman or Tuitt are more likely but either would be a welcome addition!

[/QUOTE]

If they don't figure out the C position, is there a C that is first round worthy and at least as good as those DLs? Or a G so they can move Connolly? Or is C a deep enough position where they can wait until the second round? 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to HelmetofLeather's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Browner   6'4"    LaFell 6'2"

BB finally got the memo......

NO MORE MIDGETS !!!

[/QUOTE]

I've tried to figure out why he went so small in the secodary the past five years (selecting those shorter corners). The only thing I came up with is he thought the new rules would really change how you could cover a receiver (not as much physical play, etc). I just think he went for quicker, smaller guys who had good hips and could play in space without the benefit of grabbing onto a receiver at the line and slowing him down. Didn't work obviously - and we've all seen how much they let the holding and interferance go in the post season anyway - I like our new approach.