brandon lafell wr #4!?!?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

brandon lafell wr #4!?!?

Grant Halverson

The Patriots just acquired veteran wide receiver Brandon LaFell for three seasons at a price tag of $11 million. What can he do for this offense?

TWEET (14) SHARE (3)  SHARE 60 COMMENTS ⋆ REC 2

When the Patriots signed Panthers free agent wide receiverBrandon LaFell, I immediately thought of last season's pick-up of Donald Jones. It's a player who's had success against New England, who flashed a lot of potential, whose team didn't want to bring them back.

Bill Belichick saw an opportunity to use that same weapon that had been used against the Patriots and offered Jones a contract. Unfortunately, Jones was unable to perform due to health issues, but he was my initial basis point.

Jones signed a three-year deal for $4.155 million. LaFell signed for almost three times as much.

It was not a very good comparison.

So I had to jump into the tape to try and figure out why Belichick would hand out three years and $11 million (average of $3.67 million per season) for a player who had never broken 50 receptions or 800 yards in a single year. Why would Belichick want to hand out what would be the 13th highest cap hit on the roster to this guy?

Let's start with the numbers. For the past three seasons, LaFell has operated as the Panthers #3 receiving target, behind newly signed Raven wide receiver Steve Smith, and tight end Greg Olsen. Over those three years, he's picked up 217 targets, 129 receptions (59.4%), 1917 yards, and 12 touchdowns. Quarterback Cam Newton has thrown 10 interceptions in his direction.

These numbers don't look too impressive, but note that Danny Amendola and all of his hype had never broken 700 receiving yards or 3 touchdowns in a single season. LaFell is basically a bargain (sarcasm/snark pending).

None of those numbers are too impressive, but this 6'2, 210 lbs receiver is consistent. He's picked up 36-49 receptions, 613-677 yards, and 3-5 touchdowns over the past three seasons.

If you're looking for a potential #1 wide receiver, you're looking in the wrong place. If you're looking for the 2nd best target on your team, you're not going to find it here. But while his price tag seems high, it's still only the 40th highest receiver contract in the league; LaFell is getting paid to be a WR2.

Breaking down the Patriots roster, the current targets are tight end Rob Gronkowski, and wide receivers Julian Edelman, Danny Amendola, Aaron Dobson, Kenbrell Thompkins, and Josh Boyce. Factor in another tight end in the draft and those are your targets. I feel comfortable placing Gronk, Edelman, Amendola, and Dobson ahead of LaFell, and letting the new signee challenge Thompkins and Boyce for roster space and playing time.

So why are the Patriots paying WR2 money to a player who is probably target #5 on the team?

1) Wide receivers aren't the only options in the passing game. In fact, 14 teams feature a tight end in their top 2 for receptions. So it's not too crazy to have your WR2 being the third target on your team. However, why is LaFell being paid if he's probably not higher than WR4?

2) The increased salary cap increased all of the prices. While I wouldn't put LaFell in the top 10 of free agent wide receivers, he was paid the going-rate.Andre Roberts signed for $4 million in a year to be target #3 in Washington. Emmanuel Sanders signed $5 million a year to be target #4 in Denver. Riley Cooper and/or Jeremy Maclin received $5-5.5 million from Philadelphia to fight to be Target #2. Loser will likely be Target #5.

So did the Patriots overpay for their position when on the open market? I wouldn't say they paid too much.

3) The Patriots needed a body and LaFell had some leverage. The Patriots were absolutely abysmal in the red zone and it was because they didn't have a big body up the middle of the field to make plays or draw coverage (read: Gronkowski, Robert). While the red zone passing numbers don't support LaFell, he does present a bigger frame than what the Patriots have on the roster. More of his red zone production will come later.

Add in the foot surgery to Aaron Dobson and you see how LaFell's party could force the Patriots into a little more money. The Patriots need help for camp and LaFell should be able to provide.

In the end, LaFell receiving WR2 money to be WR4 isn't too crazy. If his deal is truly meant to be a multi-year commitment, then the Patriots will benefit down the road, especially if the future of either Danny Amendola or Julian Edelman is in question for 2015 or beyond. As the cap increases and as rosters turnover, it's very possible that LaFell's contract will trend into "fair" territory.

LaFell's addition to the team isn't just about the money, though. It's about what he brings to the team and how he elevates the team in a new direction. I'm of the belief that premium additions on offense should add a new element to the team, instead of just adding layers to existing skills. For example, I believe that the Patriots handled the Edelman/Amendola contracts well this off-season; Edelman's skill set isn't too far different than Amendola's. As a result, the Patriots shouldn't go chasing after Edelman, if they have a comparable replacement already on hand.

For LaFell, we have to find out what element he adds. For this, I went to the tape and watched half of his 2013 season. Here's what I found:

According to Pro Football Focus, LaFell spent 63.0% of his time in the slot. This wasn't a one-time thing, as he spent 65.5% of his time in the slot in 2012. For comparison, former Patriot fling Emmanuel Sanders was in the slot for 67.0% of his 2012 snaps. In 2013, LaFell fell in between Edelman (49.% in the slot) and Amendola (77.4%).

The Panthers loved to use LaFell in motion and even flexed him in-and-out of their backfield. He wasn't so much of a jackknife, as he was a chess piece. They used his size inside as a formidable blocker, and they had him run his routes with a free release.

What's the point in another slot receiver? LaFell runs routes that Edelman and Amendola can't provide. LaFell can't run the crossers into traffic that Edelman and Amendola provide. He doesn't have the lateral quickness to gain separation.

What he does provide is a large body for out routes, which Tom Bradyloves to throw. All of last season you could see Brady's out routes were off-target, usually an arm's length away from his receivers. LaFell can be a bigger target to box out the defenders that would engulf the smaller slot players.

He also is a seam threat. Belichick sends his slot receivers down the field for roughly 10% of their targets. While that's a nice play to catch defenders unaware, Edelman and Amendola just aren't large enough targets to warrant the chances. LaFell, on the other hand, was sent deep 25% of the time with the Panthers. He displayed an ability to attack the secondary and freeze the safety- if not for himself, then for the other receivers to gain some additional wiggle room.

We also have to keep in mind that Brady isn't a deep ball thrower. His excellence comes from making quick plays on quick decisions to get his receivers into the open field with an opportunity for yards after the catch. Having players capable of playing inside-and-out (like Edelman and Amendola), affords Brady a wide variety of options and plays he can flex to attack a defense.

LaFell isn't a physically imposing receiver, with an average 4.58 40 and an average 9'7 broad jump. He possesses an elite three cone of 6.81, surprise surprise, and it shows when he stems his routes. While LaFell doesn't generate much separation underneath in crossing patterns, he shows tremendous ability to get open down the field, similar to Aaron Dobson.

LaFell is smooth out of his breaks and attacks the open field to gain separation. What he lacks in physical ability, he makes up with technique. Technique is predictable. It's able to be harnessed. Brady loves technique. Instead of players freelancing and trying to get free, Brady can use LaFell's skill set to draw plays to deliver the ball to LaFell as soon as he's free.

As often as LaFell was open in Carolina, he didn't always receive the ball. He would draw the deep safety to open up lanes underneath for tight end Greg Olsen. He would be a downfield blocker for scrambles and for outlet throws. He usually would keep his head up to try and help a teammate squeeze another yard or two out of the play.

But seeing why LaFell didn't receive the ball leads to both a positive and a potential negative.

A potential negative was seeing LaFell facing zone defenses. The Panthers offense operates around Cam Newton's natural abilities, and one of his biggest skills is his ability to scramble and run. Against zone defenses, receivers typically try and attack a weak spot in the zone where the quarterback can deliver the ball. However, Newton's legs allows the receivers to improvise a little bit as he manufactures more time for them.

Receivers don't sit in zones because Newton doesn't let them. They need to keep moving as his legs will force defenders to continuously move the weak points in the zone. The potential negative is that LaFell hasn't really had an opportunity to attack zones in the NFL in a traditional sense. Can he learn? Time will tell.

A positive, which is head scratching, is LaFell's utilization in the red zone. He saw 9 targets, with 5 receptions (55.5%) and 4 touchdowns (comparison: Sanders was 16/9/56.3%/5). That's middle of the road.

But I talked about his separation down the field. That applies in the red zone:

Two consecutive plays in the red zone. Two times LaFell is effectively wide open for an easy touchdown. This wasn't just a one time thing, but an occurrence in multiple games. The separation out of his breaks is especially on display between the 20s, but it's of obvious use in the red zone.

Now there are some weak spots in LaFell's game. He's not sudden in short space, which allows him to be removed in single coverage in the short game. He loses concentration when he knows he's going to be hit. He's inexperienced against zone coverage. He's not aggressive when attacking the ball in the air.

People will point to his drop rate this past season, which was an Aaron Dobson-esque 14.0%, but I believe it's a possible outlier as his prior two seasons were 6.38% and 5.26%.

LaFell isn't with the Patriots to be a WR2, even if he's getting paid like one. He's here to challenge Kenbrell Thompkins for playing time- and in my opinion LaFell will win- and he's going to provide size, routes, and ability in the slot that neither Edelman nor Amendola can provide. He'll be a body in the red zone and he'll drive the safety back to open up lanes underneath for the other receivers.

He'll be a body until Dobson is healthy enough to take the field. LaFell is a strong veteran WR4, with WR3 potential, that Brady will be glad to have on the field. He may not be what we had in mind, but he's what came in the Patriots price range and desired multi-year time frame.

Within the context of the Patriots roster make-up, this isn't a move that will cause the team to win games- but LaFell is a player with whom that the Patriots can absolutely win.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Re: brandon lafell wr #4!?!?

Givens 2.0

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I've been watching more film of him.  The more I watch, the more I like this signing. I think he's going to surprise people.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

I like the signing. I think he'll have a Jabar Gaffney presence. Not too impressive but there when you need him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I've been watching more film of him.  The more I watch, the more I like this signing. I think he's going to surprise people.  

I think he will disappoint several fans on this board but will be a solid contributor. I just hope he isn't making much in guarantees, as the odds are against him in our system with his limited physical ability to distinguish him from far better receivers like chad johnson who couldn't get valuable playing time. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MileHighMike. Show MileHighMike's posts

Do you think he's like a poor man's Amendola?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MileHighMike. Show MileHighMike's posts

In response to TravisBean's comment:

Whoever said Givens is right on. That's the idea, anyway.  When Brady was winning titles, no one cared what WR had what # assigned to what they did.

The pink hats like to do that, but real fans don't.

Yes, Queenie, nobody wants a plain great WR on their team.  It only makes the team worse.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to croc's comment:

Givens 2.0

Maybe Givens  1.7

Patriots wide receiver David Givens celebrated his second-quarter touchdown, which brought New England back from a 7-0 deficit in Super Bowl XXXIX at Alltel Stadium in Jacksonville, Fla.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

Great analysis.

I also thought of Donald Jones 2.0. But I agree that Lafell is more polished. How much better can he be with tom brady throwing passes to him is the big ?

I know everyone has metnioned dobson being injured and might miss some time, but is that enough of a reason to bring in a guy for that much money?  I dont think so. I personally would rather have spent that money on hakeem nicks, who got similiar money and only on one year (1 year 3.5)  . He is a proven deep threat who has had 2 seasons of over a 1000 yards.

I also think e. sanders is more of a dynamic player than Lafell and he got similiar money also.  

We def did not get "value" a bb staple. We overpaid the question is by a lot or a little?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to gman101019's comment:

Great analysis.

I also thought of Donald Jones 2.0. But I agree that Lafell is more polished. How much better can he be with tom brady throwing passes to him is the big ?

I know everyone has metnioned dobson being injured and might miss some time, but is that enough of a reason to bring in a guy for that much money?  I dont think so. I personally would rather have spent that money on hakeem nicks, who got similiar money and only on one year (1 year 3.5)  . He is a proven deep threat who has had 2 seasons of over a 1000 yards.

I also think e. sanders is more of a dynamic player than Lafell and he got similiar money also.  

We def did not get "value" a bb staple. We overpaid the question is by a lot or a little?

I think it lends creedence to the fact that they are really worried that they get NADA out of Dobson this year...a screw in the foot is a 50/50 propostion in terms of successfully returning to pro sports action....sorry, he could be just as easily out for an entire season, or done for good, as it is he will  return to action this season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Personally, this pick up didn't make any sense to me.  A slot WR?  I don't get this one.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:

In response to gman101019's comment:

Great analysis.

I think it lends creedence to the fact that they are really worried that they get NADA out of Dobson this year...a screw in the foot is a 50/50 propostion in terms of successfully returning to pro sports action....sorry, he could be just as easily out for an entire season, or done for good, as it is he will  return to action this season.

Pump the breaks.  I read he will be back in .. well now... 2 months. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to TravisBean's comment:

Whoever said Givens is right on. That's the idea, anyway.  When Brady was winning titles, no one cared what WR had what # assigned to what they did.

The pink hats like to do that, but real fans don't.

MY, My crusty puuke hat.  Just yesterday you were blasting Elway for not yet re-signing Thomas,

(his #1 RECEIVER)  QUOTE: YOUR WORDS

Now why would you say that when only non fans use those distinctions?

Could it be you're not a real fan?  Yes, I think it could.  Right, rusty puuke hat?

Could you be more of a hypocrite?  NOPE!  Impossible.....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Best Case:

Gronk doesn't need the 6 week PUP and is 70% of what he was when healthy the first 4-5 games, 80% the next 4-5, 90% the final 6-7 games of the season and FINALLY is healthy for a 16 game season and enters the playoffs at almost 100% of the guy who was the best TE in football. That means a: 60-65 catch 775-950 yard 8-12 TD season.

Edelman simply needs to be the man he was last year only getting targeted 40% less of the time. So 60-65 catches and a couple of TD's as Mr. Reliable and a great punt returner who finds himself wide open a lot more.

Dobson improves upon his rookie year, most importantly showing consistency. Keep that 14 ypc average going. That looks like: 45-55 catches for 650-800 yards and 6-7 TD's.

Amendola has averaged around 5 receptions at 10 yards per every game of his career. If he can better last years 12 games (with pretty much none of them at 100%) to 14 games and like 10 of them at 100% and catch 4 for 40 a game, then he is perfect sharing the 3rd option role with Dobson and giving 50-55 for 500 with 3-4 TD's.

Then LaFell, that #2 TE we need so badly, ONE of Kenbrell or Boyce (unlikely both have a role) and Vareen can all fall into places as Brady's #5-#8 options. Each of those 4 players can catch 30-40 passes and a couple of TD's.

That would be a very impressive passing game. Hooman and the random running back would also catch a pass a game. The team would click and dominate the regular season on their way to homefield throughout.

WORST CASE:

Gronk is PUP's for the first 6 weeks. The TE replacement isn't a knockout and ends up sharing snaps with Hooman as the position is marginalized until Gronk returns at 50% of his old self for 3-4 games, 60% for 3-4 and is finally like 70-80% of his old self entering the playoffs but never quite as explosive again.

Dobson is PUP'd for the first 6 games and never quite gets back into the groove with the foot issues, making for a lost sophmore season.

Glass vase is again an issue and has a similar season to 2013. 

Boyce remains all intrigue and no breakout performances.

Edelman, LaFell, Vareen and Thompkins are forced to carry the load in the passing game the first 6 weeks of the season a la Brown, Caldwell, Faulk and Gaffney in '06. The schedule makers are unkind, putting the Broncos, two of the Packers, Lions, Bengals and Colts games in that stretch along with two away games in the AFC East. Pats start 3-3 and need a 9-1 finish to get a BYE. Have to go to Denver again in January.

That is how up in the air the receiver situation still is for next season.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

I mentioned him as Gaffney the other day. Gaffney was the #4 or #5 guy behind Moss, Welker, Stallworth and Watson (both he and Watson caught 36 passes and Watson had 6 TD's to his 5).

Givens he is not, David was the #3 WR but also the #3 option and Dan Graham was #4.

LaFell is a jack of all trades good at many things great at nothing kind of player. He can play inside and out and will level players in the running/blocking game. His size does help in the red zone although as said he is not known as a 'red zone threat'. But I feel more comfortable with him in there in those situations than a midget WR.

He will do what Gaffney did and catch 35-40 passes and 4 or 5 TD's as a 4th or 5th option. He will help with Gronk and likely Dobson being limited to start the season and if glass vase Amendola continues to get hurt.

Yeah, I think maybe a bit more production then that, but in the ball park. I think someone else would have to get hurt(which is almost a guarantee for us!!!) for Lafell to do much more then 40 to 50 catches. I think Edelman, Amendola, Dobson, and Vareen are getting a bunch of targets next year, but I think Lafell will be more then just a receiver as he is a capable and willing down field blocker for screens, draws etc.. I just think we probably over payed for him, but only considering our system. I actually think this guy could go to a team like the Colts and catch over 70 balls for 900 to a 1,000 yards. I just don't think he will with us.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

I mentioned him as Gaffney the other day. Gaffney was the #4 or #5 guy behind Moss, Welker, Stallworth and Watson (both he and Watson caught 36 passes and Watson had 6 TD's to his 5).

Givens he is not, David was the #3 WR but also the #3 option and Dan Graham was #4.

LaFell is a jack of all trades good at many things great at nothing kind of player. He can play inside and out and will level players in the running/blocking game. His size does help in the red zone although as said he is not known as a 'red zone threat'. But I feel more comfortable with him in there in those situations than a midget WR.

He will do what Gaffney did and catch 35-40 passes and 4 or 5 TD's as a 4th or 5th option. He will help with Gronk and likely Dobson being limited to start the season and if glass vase Amendola continues to get hurt.

Well, let's hope he's a little better than that because somehow being the # 4 behind Edelman, 1/2 Gronk, IR Amandola and Dropson doesn't equate to being the #4 behind Moss, Welker, Stallworth and Watson.

He may have to earn that #2 money.

We shall see.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

If catching 2 passes a game gets you 3.5 mill per year, I need to dust off my helmet and shoulder pads. 

I even had higher expectations for LaFell then that.  I figured, if he can catch 49 balls from cam he should be good for at least 50-60 with us.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

Well, let's hope he's a little better than that because somehow being the # 4 behind Edelman, 1/2 Gronk, IR Amandola and Dropson doesn't equate to being the #4 behind Moss, Welker, Stallworth and Watson.

He may have to earn that #2 money.

We shall see.

Haha true. I guess 2007 Gaffney would have caught 50-60 here in 2013.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

I think he will disappoint several fans on this board but will be a solid contributor. I just hope he isn't making much in guarantees, as the odds are against him in our system with his limited physical ability to distinguish him from far better receivers like chad johnson who couldn't get valuable playing time. 

You can count me as one guy who won't be disappointed. Frankly I fully expect him to be a #3 type of WR when he was signed. Heck they gave him less than Amendola and he's much more durable. If he gives what Amendola gave for 16 full games I'd be pretty happy because at least Brady would have a guy he could count on game in and game out. Now Amendola, yeah I'm very disappointed as you should be too.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

You can count me as one guy who won't be disappointed. Frankly I fully expect him to be a #3 type of WR when he was signed. Heck they gave him less than Amendola and he's much more durable. If he gives what Amendola gave for 16 full games I'd be pretty happy because at least Brady would have a guy he could count on game in and game out. Now Amendola, yeah I'm very disappointed as you should be too.

Agree. I don't think anyone is thinking Lafell is a 1-2 WR. He's most likely a 3-4. However given the fluidity of the receiving weapons, youth + injury, he may be relied upon more at times. I think he has shown in Carolina that he can step up into the 2 role when needed. 

PI think a big factor in his level of contribution will be amendola again. He seems like the wildcard here. 

PI still think the pats are in need of 1 more reliable weapon, either at TE or WR. Some folks have commented that if Benjamin is there at 29, to take him...thoughts? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bustify. Show Bustify's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Agree. I don't think anyone is thinking Lafell is a 1-2 WR. He's most likely a 3-4. However given the fluidity of the receiving weapons, youth + injury, he may be relied upon more at times. I think he has shown in Carolina that he can step up into the 2 role when needed. 

PI think a big factor in his level of contribution will be amendola again. He seems like the wildcard here. 

PI still think the pats are in need of 1 more reliable weapon, either at TE or WR. Some folks have commented that if Benjamin is there at 29, to take him...thoughts? 

They'll add a TE through the draft, IMO. There's no chance in hell they roll with Hooman as the #2 with Gronk (and the #1 without him). I also wouldn't be surprised if they decided to kick the tires on someone like Owen Daniels as a cheaper vet FA option.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

So you guys would be happy if he got you Amendola numbers(which would be a career high for him) at 3.8 million per, but you are disappointed in Danny who got those numbers while battling a bad injury for 3.5 million cap hit for 2013.

I guess if our perspective is that Lafell will be a #4 receiver at almost 4 million per year, and he puts up those numbers it is ok?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to MileHighMike's comment:

Do you think he's like a poor man's Amendola?

Not a good comparison at all. The Givens comparison is a decent one. I expect you dont really know who Givens is and what his talents were. See if you can find some film on Givens. He was part of the group of WRs here during the SB winning seasons (Brown, Branch, Givens, Patten).

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

I'd much rather a TE than a WR at this point. Simply because if Amendola and/or Edelman go down they have other types of similar caliber to replace them. I love Hooman but if we lose Gronk yet again or he never fully recovers we have no one at TE. Getting a starting caliber TE would do more to improve the team then grabbing Benjamin in the 1st. Besides I know Benjamin is very good but there are some aspects to his game that make me wonder if the difference between him and say Latimer, Hoffman, Moncreif is worth the difference between using a 1st vs a 3-5th pick

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

So you guys would be happy if he got you Amendola numbers(which would be a career high for him) at 3.8 million per, but you are disappointed in Danny who got those numbers while battling a bad injury for 3.5 million cap hit for 2013.

I guess if our perspective is that Lafell will be a #4 receiver at almost 4 million per year, and he puts up those numbers it is ok?

I would be happy with amendola numbers for Lafell, but add2-3 more TDs. Amendola numbers for Lafell would be okay, as long as, amendola numbers for amendola improved. are you saying their numbers should be equal as they are paid similarly? 

Sections
Shortcuts