Brandon Lloyd a NE Patriot.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

Re: Brandon Lloyd a NE Patriot.

In Response to Re: Brandon Lloyd a NE Patriot.:
    Some of the ESPN  fan's comments sites regarding the Lloyd signing are laughable. The Patriots have to be one of, if not the most envied and hated team in pro sports.  Looks like this will be yet another long and frustrating year for Patriots hater's nationwide.
    Posted by 15315k

I sometimes read the comments just for some of the funny posts in them :). But ya, haters gonna hate.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Do the Patriots still go after that speedy WR in the 1st or 2nd round?  I could see it happening in the 4th round.......
    Posted by Rocky

i take a big outside guy in the 2nd plenty should be there (unless bb istempted and hil makes it to us). and a slot in 3rd 4th or udfa. some realy good guys there.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Brandon Lloyd a NE Patriot. : I'm glad he signed for reasonable money and hopefully people will understand that he's not really a deep threat. At least he's not some dope that won't understand the offense (see Ocho Cinco)...nor is he at the age when he's lost too many steps (see Ocho Cinco).  Now all we need to do is get some people that can play in the secondary, some linebackers that can cover and two 34 type defensive lineman that will keep Vince from getting doubled virtually every single play. Maybe then we will be able to force a team to at least one three and out during the Super Bowl.  
    Posted by mthurl

"Now all we need to do is get some people that can play in the secondary, some linebackers that can cover and two 34 type defensive lineman that will keep Vince from getting doubled virtually every single play. Maybe then we will be able to force a team to at least one three and out during the Super Bowl.   "

good post!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

That's a pretty cool picture of Lloyd (a guy that obviously likes Brady...unlike one guy here). I wonder why Lloyd took less money to come catch passes here? Geez it couldn't be because of Tom Brady, could it? Nah it's got to be because of our mastery of the NFL salary cap.
    Posted by mthurl

mcdaniels was far and away the #1 reason. he has said so.
    2ndly a super bowl contender.
    3 brady (kinda goes hand and hand with #2)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Brandon Lloyd a NE Patriot. :      The terms seem surprisingly reasonable. It does appear that Lloyd took less money to play for the Pats. 
    Posted by TexasPat

appear?
    i think he could have gotten a contract dwarfing this elsewhere. it seems evidently clear. ie see garcon's 40 mil $ deal.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

One quality Lloyd has is exceptional route running ability. Everywhere he has been the most positive aspect of his game has been his ability to get open and often of deep routes. He may not have that Mike wallace style speed that leaves people in the dust but he makes up for it in knowing where he has to be at every point of his route getting in and out of his breaks crisper then most WR's, add to that is vertical (still reportedly 36" plus) and his plus hands and you get the circus catches as well. I am all over this and like I said months ago if he isn't a Patriot I would be shocked! Landry is next I think, he wants to make a stop with the Jets but why would he go there even if it was for a bit more money when you can play here for several more chances at a championship.
    Posted by DaBlade

" Landry is next I think, he wants to make a stop with the Jets but why would he go there even if it was for a bit more money when you can play here for several more chances at a championship."

yep, re landry, depends if he has a brain.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

In Response to Re: Brandon Lloyd a NE Patriot. : They have actually done very well in free agency. Mario was the prize pass rusher but his price was way too much, its not how the Patriots build their roster. Depth over one guy. The Patriots were 14th in the league in sacks last year and one sack away from being in the top ten. They had more sacks than both the Steelers and the Jets. One never knows what Belichick is going to do in the draft but he certainly has the picks to continue to improve the pass rush. Both Scott and  Fanene can get after the Quarterback and most likely they bring back Carter too. 
    Posted by 15315k

They have done ok. It remains to be seen whether or not Fanene will be much of an upgrade to Carter and Anderson, who although had good seasons, were above average. Let's face it, Anderson is probably out of here, and even if we were to sign Carter, players are seldom what they were prior to injury. So I don't see how big of an UPGRADE we have made defensively with the pass rush. I don't care about comparing to the Jests from last year.....they were a horrible team. Our defense has too many role players.

Wozzy......Given our picks, I don't see us landing a dominant pass rusher unless we really trade up, which is more doubtful than if we had signed Peyton. Maybe I'm wrong...I hope I am. What are your thoughts on the draft?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Here's the preliminary roster, top 53. Just think we have 6 picks in the top 130.  Those picks will all make the 53 so 6 of the below have to go. Ocho Underwood Polite Williams Brown Barrett are some candidates.  I hear we're talking to Daniel Fells too.  He'd be an excellent #3 TE.  Really solid player.  I wonder if we are still thinking about Landry.  We're nearly out of cap space I think. Current 51 Top Salaries 2012 OFFENSE 26 Players Slot 31 W Welker '12 26 Edelman '12 Gonzales '12 WR 31 B. Lloyd '14 27 M Slater '14   LOT 33 M Light '12 23 N Solder '15   LG 31 Mankins '16     C 30 D. Connolly '14 26 Wendell '13 25 N. McDonald ROG 35 B. Waters '12 27 D Thomas '12   RT 27 Vollmer '12 24 M. Cannon '14   TE 23 Gronkowski '13 22 Hernandez '13   QB 35 Tom Brady '14 26 Hoyer '12 24 Mallett '14 RB 23 S. Veeren '14 26 Woodhead '12   23 S. Ridley '14 30 L Polite '12         WR   34 Ochocinco '13 26 Underwood           DEFENSE 24 Players DE   30 J Fanene '14 26 Pryor '13   NT 30 Wilfork '14 25 R. Brace '12   DE 25 Deaderick '13 26 Love '12   OLB 28 T Scott '12 24 Cunningham '13   ILB 26 Mayo '16 25 Fletcher '12   24 J Tarpinian ILB 25 B Spikes '13 31 T White '14 31 Koutouvides OLB 29 Ninkovich '13     LCB 23 Dowling '14 23 S Moore '12 22 M Williams RCB 26 McCourty '14 26 Arrington '12   SS 25 Chung '12 27 J Barrett '12   FS   29 S. Gregory '14 24 S Brown '13   SPECIAL TEAMS 3 PK 28 Gostkowski '14     P 25 Z. Mesko '13     LS 24 D Aiken    
    Posted by Faucetman

unless welker signs the tender and we shop him for a 1 or high 2 :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Brandon Lloyd a NE Patriot. : Sergio Brown is a disaster, I've never seen a guy wiff so badly at jamming wide receivers. One time I saw him wiff so bad I thought BB must be teaching him some new technique or strategy...just let the guy run right by you at the line and get open 20 yards down the field.
    Posted by mthurl

i dont know mthurl, ive seen devin m do the same plenty.
    just awful at the jams. you must have read me ripping the db coaches all year :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Brandon Lloyd a NE Patriot. : for several years now, people here, including myself, have been saying the offense is unstoppable/impossible to defend - yet can's score more than in the teens in the playoffs. let's hope this changes that.
    Posted by seattlepat70

we were nbot unstoppable without an outside threat (check that off now) AND w eare still not unstoppable without a proven 3 down, multiple threat back.

on de we needed a good vet safety. we settled for a jag.
    and a guy like wimbley. no conclusion on that yet.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

YES!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

YES!
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker

Please add NYFAN111 to your list.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

Do the Patriots still go after that speedy WR in the 1st or 2nd round?  I could see it happening in the 4th round.......
    Posted by Rocky

It's gonna be bpa, baaby!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Posted by Rocky

They should, someone that is talle than 6'0. My choice is Tommy Streeter.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Patriots reach agreement with Brandon Lloyd Posted by Michael David Smith on March 17, 2012, 8:30 PM EDT Getty Images Brandon Lloyd  is  Tom Brady ’s newest weapon. ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that Lloyd has reached an agreement with the Patriots, ending a day in which we saw one report that a deal between the Patriots and Lloyd was close and another report that the deal actually wasn’t close. Now Lloyd is heading to New England, where he’ll add a deep threat capable of making spectacular catches to the Patriots’ passing game. He’ll also immediately understand what’s expected of him from Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels: Lloyd has a close relationship with McDaniels and had his best season playing for McDaniels in Denver in 2010. Although money was reportedly a sticking point in the deal that Lloyd had said he wanted to get done, Lloyd had hinted he wanted to play in New England so badly that he’d take less money to sign there. They’ve now resolved whatever financial issues there were, and while there’s no word yet on how much money Lloyd got, he’ll be a Patriot.
    Posted by Rocky

It's all good unless they play the Super Bowl Champs ... The New York Football Giants.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

Wow Lloyd came cheap! $4 mill a year

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Ochocinco wasn't a FA. NE traded for him and he's under contract, while Branch is not.   If he's offered to take a cut, it would be stupid to cut him now.

A full camp with a better OC, Brady not ignoring him looking for excuses as to why he doesn't want to to throw to the flanks anymore, won't work much now anymore with Lloyd and Ocho on the perimeter.

If Fells signs, Brady's loaded 2007 and 2011 casts will look like his corps from 2002 by comparison.

No more excuses now for Brady and how he plays in January and February. All done, Tom. It's time for your to step up in the postseason.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

In Response to Re: Brandon Lloyd a NE Patriot. : Please add NYFAN111 to your list.
    Posted by TSWFAN

He needs to add these as well:

Mt Hurl
    Babe Parilli
    Bustchise
    1Guy1Sharp
    StartRightNow
    Capitalist Avenger
    Patsman3
    JayShizzle
    DanMacmanemin

I am probably forgetting a few, too. Envision these people not here and then think about how much better the board would be. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Lloyd represents an upgrade at WR and that is good.

But some of the hype in this thread is way over the top.

Lloyd has had exactly one very good season in his entire career.  Now people are saying he will usher in "2007" and he is better that Randy Moss was in 2007.

Come on people.

It is safe to say he is better than Branch.  But that isn't enough to make him a star; and it isn't going to make the Patriots offense anymore scary than last season. 

I can't wait for the mid-season report when everyone is complaining about how Lloyd "takes games off" and is not having enough impact on the offense.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfaninswflorida. Show Patsfaninswflorida's posts

2012 Reception totals: Welker - 102 Gronk - 83 Lloyd - 67 Hernandez - 63 Ocho - 36 Branch - 34 Gonzalez - 23 Woodhead - 17 Vareen - 12 Benny/Ridley - 8 Like 430 receptions, most in Tom's career, breaks Brees record
    Posted by rameakap

Not sure where you got you're data from... but:

Ocho had 15 catches for 276

Branch had 51 catches for 702...

not going to look up the other's.... but the Ocho - Branch #'s I knew had
    to be off by a mile...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

I hope this guy produces for us with the deep ball. Now can we give Ocho Stinko the boot.
    Posted by kansaspatriot

I was just wondering... how old are you?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In Response to Re: Brandon Lloyd a NE Patriot. : Dude, it's not about in-line speed. It's about your breaks out of the route and football IQ. We don't need a Moss for this. We don't need Mike Wallace either. He would have been a bad fit here.
    Posted by BassFishing

I pretty much meant to say everything you just said... I just don't like the 'deep threat' title I guess.  Had to shine a light on it.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

In Response to Re: Brandon Lloyd a NE Patriot. : I pretty much meant to say everything you just said... I just don't like the 'deep threat' title I guess.  Had to shine a light on it.
    Posted by Getzo

Cool. The "deep threat" moniker didn't even exist in Foxborough prior to 2007.  It's incredibly annoying.

The SF GM just said they signed Moss to "stretch the field". I got news for him. That won't work and it won't be enough, especially when teams know that's why Moss is there.

The key the WR role here is mastering the routes in different spots on the field and developing a rapport with Brady based on the times you need to improvise within the coverages.  From there, defenses have to respect it all from all different spots, and that triggers the deep threat concept, which really can be anyone, including Welker, as we've seen. It's even more lethal when Brady is under center, we have some version of a run game used, and playaction surfaces.

What started to happen with Moss after 2007, especial in 2009 and into 2010, was that was ALL he was doing. Just running 4 or 5 deeper patterns is still a problem of predictability.

Good thing SF signed Manningham along with Moss, because they needed another WR besides just Crabtree to run the various routes.

Sections
Shortcuts