Brandon Lloyd

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: Brandon Lloyd

Considering Branch was our number 2 WR last year I don't see how you can complain that much about Lloyd.  He isn't lighting the world on fire, but "we have a lot of mouths to feed" and he is certainly better than Deion was last year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

I think Lloyd is fine, people that expected the second coming of Randy Moss are mistaking. He is not a deep threat like Calvin Johnson or Vincent Jackson. He is more of an all round receiver, he can run all routes. But on this team the Pats have been using him more of a dep threat, and Welker, Branch, and Edelman on underneath routes. Defenses know Welker, Branch, and Edelman are running short routes 95% of the time and are starting to make adjustments. Brady has to thread the needle on most throws. There is hardly any YAC. I think we need to bring Greg Salas in to see what he has and bench Branch.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

I think Lloyd is fine, people that expected the second coming of Randy Moss are mistaking. He is not a deep threat like Calvin Johnson or Vincent Jackson. He is more of an all round receiver, he can run all routes. But on this team the Pats have been using him more of a dep threat, and Welker, Branch, and Edelman on underneath routes. Defenses know Welker, Branch, and Edelman are running short routes 95% of the time and are starting to make adjustments. Brady has to thread the needle on most throws. There is hardly any YAC. I think we need to bring Greg Salas in to see what he has and bench Branch.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

I'm not saying Lloyd is a bust but, I thought he was going to be more consistent and productive. Dfitz was right in saying he is not a deep burner but an above average all around WR and I agree but, I haven't seen the above average part yet.

I was thrilled when we signed him I thought he would be perfect for us having the ability to run deep routes and the hands to run quick outs and crossing patterns. Maybe I over estimated the mans abilities but so far he hasn't stunk it up but he hasn't really stepped up either. Right now my opinion is MEh .

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

In response to Rajon-Hondo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm not saying Lloyd is a bust but, I thought he was going to be more consistent and productive. Dfitz was right in saying he is not a deep burner but an above average all around WR and I agree but, I haven't seen the above average part yet.

I was thrilled when we signed him I thought he would be perfect for us having the ability to run deep routes and the hands to run quick outs and crossing patterns. Maybe I over estimated the mans abilities but so far he hasn't stunk it up but he hasn't really stepped up either. Right now my opinion is MEh .

[/QUOTE]

You haven't seen the unbelievably athletic catches he's made on the sidelines?

He is giving the Patriots exactly what anyone who pays attention to the rest of the NFL expected:  an average receiver (which, yes, includes some drops) who is excellent on the sidelines and has a penchant for making 1 or 2 circus catches per game.  If this messageboard is your main source of information about new acquisitions, I can see how you would be disappointed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

I never understood what people expected from Lloyd. He is actually on pace for his second best season in terms of yards (he only has one 1000-yard season in his career) and best in terms of receptions. I just think people were expecting way too much from him...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to dfitzp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree judging by the numbers, Salas is probably a better player at this point then Branch but Brady may want his old binkey in there. I love deion but dude is on his last legs right now and cant be counted on to make clutch plays anymore..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Honestly I think he is a major upgrade to what we had at that spot the last couple of seasons, however if you were expecting this guy to be an elite receiver...I can see how you'd be dissapointed. To me, I'd be happy with 60-70 catches out of him and to supply just a bit of relief to our tight ends and Welker - I think he'll do that. This guy was never...ever a burner. He ran a 4.6 coming out of college - I imagine it's a bit worse now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

I stand by my opinion. Yes, he has made some great catches but he has made some miscues too. It may be me but his miscues have come at more critical times. Like I said I was really excited when we signed and I didn't think he was the second coming of Moss but I feel he could be more consistent and productived than he has been so far. I'm not saying cut him or anything I'm just saying he hasn't stunk but he hasn't been as good as I thought he would be either. I'm not attacking the guy it's just my opinion of his season so far.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to Rajon-Hondo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I stand by my opinion. Yes, he has made some great catches but he has made some miscues too. It may be me but his miscues have come at more critical times. Like I said I was really excited when we signed and I didn't think he was the second coming of Moss but I feel he could be more consistent and productived than he has been so far. I'm not saying cut him or anything I'm just saying he hasn't stunk but he hasn't been as good as I thought he would be either. I'm not attacking the guy it's just my opinion of his season so far.

[/QUOTE]

He is about what I expected. He had one ridiculous season in his career, but for the most part has been an average NFL receiver. 

I think a lot of Patriots fans saw that one crazy season under McDaniels and thought that was what they were getting.

It did not take long to get back to Welker being the best receiving option (counting the TEs) on the team.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from goosedaddy. Show goosedaddy's posts

I don't know how much they signed him for, but it's a terrible pickup. He has no chemistry with Brady, you can tell Brady would love to go off on him, but thats not the way Brady is. I think he's another Chad O, too stupid to make the fast decisions that need to be made. I think they could play Slater and get just as much. Not much. The biggest problem this year on offense has been the play calling. McDaniels has regressed as a coach, I never thought I'd rather have O'Brien but he's better. McDaniels should get a job running a Mcdonalds or something, he's awful. Let Brady make the calls like Grogan used to, he's smarter than Mcdaniels, and oh by the way, BB is about as far from a defensive genius as you can get. I guess LT can make alot of people look smart. He's also a terrible judge of DB's

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

I don't think he is a bad signing... He was brought in to be the number two WR on this team and he is going to end up with around 1000-yards - that is not bad.

The issue, is that for some reason, a lot of Patriots fans thought he would be Randy Moss in 2007...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Lloyd was brought in for one thing and one thing only.  Defenses have had success against us by clogging the middle of the field because it makes it hard for us to pass to Welker, Gronk and Hern and allows them to bring extra guys closer to the LoS which makes it harder to run.  It sort of kills two birds with one stone.  A lot of teams aren't able to do this or are so overmatched from a talent perspective it doesn't matter, but it is an issue against some teams.

We need someone to make some plays on the edges of the field.  They don't need to be 50 yard bomb vertical routes, but they need to be able to attract some attention away from the middle.  Lloyd was brought in to do that.  He failed miserably at it yesterday and it really hurt the offense.  That being said I think he still has the ability to play that role for us.  I think the coaching staff recognizes this and it's one reason we've almost been forcing the ball to him at times.  Hopefully the connection improves as the season goes on.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pezz4pats's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

seriously you fkn goobers enough of this "rusty" crap, just because i dont share the same opinion with you on something doesnt mean im a disciple of a user on here you guys dont seem to like. of course lloyd dropped passes, but brady's throws just werent that good....and to say lloyd has been bad week after week is ridiculous, he is on pace to catch 80 passes for over 900 yards, seriously how much do you want? i for one, am grateful, espescially because of what we had to watch last year with ochocinco. lloyd will be fine, he may drop some passes, but he also makes acrobatic catches that no other receiver on the team could catch..

[/QUOTE]

Calm Down, we just wanted you to acknowledge that Lloyd actually dropped some balls which you just did. Rusty is the only known Pats fan that hates Brady so thats why people used his name because anyone who thinks Bradys throws to Lloyd were bad would have to also Hate Brady or not know the game... and you are a redsox fan..... soooooo

You have the pic that someone just posted that clearly shows a ball hitting his chest. We have the 1st play to him on the 1st drive off playaction that hit him in the chest and bounced off. We have the deep throw that was a perfect pass but Llloyd was just too slow to run under and still had 1 hands on and I cant remember the other 4 targets. Can you tell us which ones were bad throws by Brady?

[/QUOTE]

throwing it down the field when lloyd is blanketed by cromartie is not smart....cromartie actually dropped an easy int in that game when brady threw the ball off balance. yes lloyd dropped passes, this was easily his worst game so far, but give the guy a break, he has laid out for so many terriffic catches this year, he gets a pass on this game IMO.

[/QUOTE]

He lays out because he slows and is not in position to make the catch on the run.  His YAC is awful.  Wes welker has over 3 yrds pc more than lloyd  Welker is also 54/74 while your boy is 35/65 with a good % of those being flat out drops.  Not great for a guy that was supposed to make the O better.  Like Rodney said. "Bigggg  Dissssssapointment"!!!!!

[/QUOTE]

the only disappointment is rodney's views on football....rodney believes eli is the best qb in the NFL, i cant take anyone who says that, seriously.....from now on, whatever rodney says, the opposite is true.

[/QUOTE]

so u dont believe Eli is in the conversation??

I think its time to give the guy credit

[/QUOTE]

reluctantly but  he is the man now!  He drove for a TD not just field goal range yesterday. Plus he  makes the throws when every one knows he HAS to throw.

I give him big kudos for the Manningham  SB catch, under 2 min ?.  The hat catch after 2 non holds, one in the grasp missed calls was just #@!*^ luck.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

Just wondering,but was Lloyd evn out ther in OT , I thought I saw Branch out wide on the OT series for every play.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spetznaz24. Show Spetznaz24's posts

I think most people had the wrong expectations. What they were expecting is another season close to Randy Moss 2007.  That will never happen again.

I was expecting the same offense that Bill O'Brien ran last year plus Lloyd instead of Ochocinco. However Josh McDaniels has no clue what he is doing and is trying to fix something that is not broken.  On top of it,  our TE's are not playing at the same level as last year. Both are hurt and nowhere close to being at the top of their game.

The ONLY consistent thing about this offense is Wes Welker.  Everyone (including me ) continue to  underappreciate him and call him a "slot reciever" as if to insult him. He  is an all-pro reciever. It is scary to think where this offense would be without Welker. He IS the most consistent WR in the league.  If Welker was black and 6'6, and produced exactly the same stats as he has in the past 5 yrs,  he would be proclaimed as one of the best ever. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spetznaz24. Show Spetznaz24's posts

In response to mgraham's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just wondering,but was Lloyd evn out ther in OT , I thought I saw Branch out wide on the OT series for every play.

[/QUOTE]

He was there in OT. He got called for the offensive pass interference on the opening play of the drive.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I'm not unhappy with Lloyd.  He adds a perimeter presence we didn't have last year and while he's been a little inconsistent catching the ball, he's made enough good catches to force defenses to pay attention to him.  I do wish, however, we had a decent deep threat.  That's something we're still lacking . . .   It would be nice to see someone who could run a deep post route and scare the bejeezus out of defending safeties.  We don't have that I don't think. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

In response to Spetznaz24's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mgraham's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He was there in OT. He got called for the offensive pass interference on the opening play of the drive.

[/QUOTE]

Right, than he was conspicuosly absent.  kind of ticky tack call but thats what they call now!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Lloyd is not a good football player. 

Bring in some WRs this week and get 'em up to speed over the bye week.  Lloyd is not good.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

What ever happened to the guy that we traded for a 3rd round pick? He was a receiver from the Rams but didn't play. Giving up a 3rd round pick for the guy they must have a lot of faith in the guy. Is he injured?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

In response to sporter81's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What ever happened to the guy that we traded for a 3rd round pick? He was a receiver from the Rams but didn't play. Giving up a 3rd round pick for the guy they must have a lot of faith in the guy. Is he injured?

[/QUOTE]

Greg Salas? It wasn't a third round pick; the pick's not been disclosed, but it was a late round (probably 5th) pick from 2015.

He's currently on the practice squad.  The Pats just raised his salary to a bit under $500k, triple the usual practice squad salary, probably to make sure he stays put and doesn't sign with anothe team.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Lloyd is right on schedule, and is a out what i expected. it takes time for a quarterback and receiver to get to the point where each knows what the other is thinking and expecting. They have only played seven games together and it is already light years ahead of the Ocho experiment that lasted all of last season. Give it some time.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

in order to see how bad lloyd has been you have to have the ability to actually assess what you are watching and also look closer at the stats. those trumpeting his stats are failing to note how much he's been thrown to (65 times). That is right behind welker and in the top 10 in the league. Going along with that it also should be noted just how much he has been needed so far (especially considering all of the injuries to pats receivers) and how unspectacular he has been on anything that is not thrown low and to the sidelines; or over the middle; or behind the line of scrimmage for a screen. he has had multiple opportunities to make big catches down the field and just can't come up with the ball. his athleticism is actually a bit misleading. he has an excellent vertical (36), but doesn't seem to be able to get over anybody down the field. great receivers go after the ball and make their qbs (and their teams) better. Lloyd has great ability to twist his body and keep his feet on the sidelines, but when he is in harms way or in a position to fight for the ball with a defender he seems to become a much less aggressive receiver (I'd go as far as to call him passive). he also runs a 4.6 40 and is not fast so he has a lot of trouble separating. he is listed at 6 "0" 200 pounds but is not big and strong; nor is he small and quick like some other receivers who overcome speed deficiencies with other skills. I do think his perfromance has been somewhat affected by Brady being off at times, the injuries to the other receivers (and the pressure this has put on him), and no doubt perceptions are affected by expectations by some of the fan base about him being a deep threat (he is obviously not), but the guy is still not having a good year. He has 1 touchdown; 5 offical drops (which is tied for third worst in the league), a long of 27 yards, only a handful of catches over 20 tards, and any Pats fan who has been watching closely knows that drop number could easily be 9 or 10. He is exceptionally gifted along the sidelines, but he has a habit of going down to the ground on almost everything he catches and therefore has a terrible RAC. This team is dependent on getting yards after the catch (they lead the league). Lloyd also has an 11.6 YPC average. While the YPC isn't horrible it's not good for an outside receiver and his YAC is dismal. The team needs him to be much better in this area. Despite his 35 catches he has a TOTAL of 90 YAC. This puts him at #74 in the league. Welker is right at the top with 312 for his 54 grabs and a respectable 12.7 YPC. If you look closely at the stats there are only a few receivers who have been targeted as much Lloyd and have done worse with YAC - dwayne bowe has 34 grabs in 66 targets is 98 in YAC, though he has more TDS and a better YPC than Lloyd. eric decker has a poor RAC but he's been targeted 20 times fewer than Lloyd and also has a better YAC and more TDS. Both have around the same number of catches over 20 yards. Marques Colston is only a little better than LLoyd in terms of YAC but again, more TDs, much better YPC, more catches over 20, etc. Anotherwords, for an outside receiver being targeted as much as Lloyd is the amount of catches he has is lactually low-mediocre, his YPC is not good, he's dropped the ball way too much, he is not scoring TDS, and his YAC is terrible. You have to like some of the amazing catches along the sideline but the Patriots need more consistency and toughness out of this guy. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SCH81. Show SCH81's posts

Sections
Shortcuts