Brandon Lloyd

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Brandon Lloyd

If the problem really is Brady can't throw deep (except in the shotgun), it seems kind of odd to lose a guy like Welker, bring in deep guys like Dobson, and then change the offense to take Brady out of shotgun.  I'm puzzled. Doesn't seem to add up to me.  I think we continue to see lots of shotgun but, if the receivers pan out, see more deep balls too.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

[QUOTE]

If the problem really is Brady can't throw deep (except in the shotgun), it seems kind of odd to lose a guy like Welker, bring in deep guys like Dobson, and then change the offense to take Brady out of shotgun.  I'm puzzled. Doesn't seem to add up to me.  I think we continue to see lots of shotgun but, if the receivers pan out, see more deep balls too.

You're puzzled Brady wants to feel safe in the shotgun, likes the easy throws to a quickly open (hopefully) Welker and then is awful with deep balls from the shotgun, when he does go deep?

WHy is that puzzling?

Apparently, he feels he can protect himself more by being in the shotgun and it's cost us games.

[/QUOTE]

So you redesign the offense to one that your QB is uncomfortable in?  That sounds so un-Belichickian to me. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

No. They don't need to redesign anything. Just show Brady himself on film from 2001-2006 and from 2007-2012.

The differences are vast. Brady should only be in a shotgun unless on 3rd downs.  Pretty simple. 

Making him comfortable, basically allowing him to run the offense of his choosing for so long with negative results, means you scale it back and get back to basics to help him.  If he does prefer the shotgun due to his 2008 injury, then send him to a therapist and let's get on with it.

[/QUOTE]

It'll be interesting to see what happens given the amount of change in the weapons around Brady.   I think formations (as well as run-pass emphasis) are going to depend a lot on what BB sees the receivers do in camp. BB always goes through an iterative process of adjusting schemes to talent and then tweaking the talent to fit schemes.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

I am in the camp that thinks Brandon was good but not good enough to push aside Boyce or Dobson.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

You're puzzled Brady wants to feel safe in the shotgun, likes the easy throws to a quickly open (hopefully) Welker and then is awful with deep balls from the shotgun, when he does go deep?

WHy is that puzzling?

Apparently, he feels he can protect himself more by being in the shotgun and it's cost us games.

So you redesign the offense to one that your QB is uncomfortable in?  That sounds so un-Belichickian to me. 

Pro, understandable........Indulge me here.......First, Brady still has the capacity to throw the ball as needed even at the age of 36 he can sling it, just not as adeptly as he could at 30, and not as comfortably in drop back/play action situations since the knee. Post his knee injury, over the last 5-6 years, as Rusty points out, the offense has slid toward Brady's strengths, the short to mid-range throws with him in the shot gun, giving more itme, comfort, visibility, and more audibles to use his smarts more. This tendancy has  put BB's focus/need on a certain skill set from his outside guys to more of the possession receiver type, with really athletic, mobile TEs who could create mismatches on slow LBs and smaller safeties. Sure we still tested the speedy guys along the way, but didn't feel the urgency to keep/develope them as the strengths of the QB didn't require one. So, the focus naturally steered away from the prototypical "deep threat" and it was probably a welcomed psychological relief to the coaching staff and also for management because WRs are typically huge pains in the AZZ and very expensive divas who just didn't feel like a necessary requirement. The End result? Over time we actually left the opposition DCs no choice but to tee off on Tom in obvious passing situations whcih has really challenged our effectiveness in executing on big pass plays and in clutch, long yardage situations. The DBs and LBs are cheating up because we just don't force them to stay deep for the lack of showing that threat. SO, everybody sees it now. How do you fix it? Go get you QB somebody who can get in his head and give him confidence to put his full motion into throwing it (HOUSE). Then go get a bonifide threat at a good price (DOBSON rookie 6'3" 210, 4-4 great ball skills) and show everyone that you are committed to challenging them deep this year. EVEN IF THEY DON'T follow through on the intent on a consistant basis, they are forcing the DCs to consider the weapon and to play honest. You can bet they will at least throw th obligatory bomb from time to time as both a message, and to showcase Dobson's use of height, speed, hops, and ball skills. As the saying goes, "speed Kills" in the NFL. The thing that keeps DC's awake at night is SPEED. At aminimum, Dobson when on the field will keep them honest. We've missed thatt for years. Its amazing what our O has done while only using 20-30-yards of the field. Time to stretch the field Kenny Stabler style!

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

WHy is that puzzling?

Pro, understandable........Indulge me here.......First, Brady still has the capacity to throw the ball as needed even at the age of 36 he can sling it, just not as adeptly as he could at 30, and not as comfortably in drop back/play action situations since the knee. Post his knee injury, over the last 5-6 years, as Rusty points out, the offense has slid toward Brady's strengths, the short to mid-range throws with him in the shot gun, giving more itme, comfort, visibility, and more audibles to use his smarts more. This tendancy has  put BB's focus/need on a certain skill set from his outside guys to more of the possession receiver type, with really athletic, mobile TEs who could create mismatches on slow LBs and smaller safeties. Sure we still tested the speedy guys along the way, but didn't feel the urgency to keep/develope them as the strengths of the QB didn't require one. So, the focus naturally steered away from the prototypical "deep threat" and it was probably a welcomed psychological relief to the coaching staff and also for management because WRs are typically huge pains in the AZZ and very expensive divas who just didn't feel like a necessary requirement. The End result? Over time we actually left the opposition DCs no choice but to tee off on Tom in obvious passing situations whcih has really challenged our effectiveness in executing on big pass plays and in clutch, long yardage situations. The DBs and LBs are cheating up because we just don't force them to stay deep for the lack of showing that threat. SO, everybody sees it now. How do you fix it? Go get you QB somebody who can get in his head and give him confidence to put his full motion into throwing it (HOUSE). Then go get a bonifide threat at a good price (DOBSON rookie 6'3" 210, 4-4 great ball skills) and show everyone that you are committed to challenging them deep this year. EVEN IF THEY DON'T follow through on the intent on a consistant basis, they are forcing the DCs to consider the weapon and to play honest. You can bet they will at least throw th obligatory bomb from time to time as both a message, and to showcase Dobson's use of height, speed, hops, and ball skills. As the saying goes, "speed Kills" in the NFL. The thing that keeps DC's awake at night is SPEED. At aminimum, Dobson when on the field will keep them honest. We've missed thatt for years. Its amazing what our O has done while only using 20-30-yards of the field. Time to stretch the field Kenny Stabler style!

Totally agree with this analysis Rally.  I've been wanting to see more receivers deep and outside the numbers for a while now. Lloyd actually helped a bit last year with his perimeter play, but they've faced crowded middles of the field for a while.  Keeping a safety cheating up toward the LOS defends the run okay, too, so it's hard to beat if you can't challenge over the top.  I hope Dobson gives them that over the top guy, and he and Brady can develop some chemistry. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to Bustchise's comment:

Queenie, having a conversation with himself (RallyC, the ex NFL all pro who now spends his days posting on BDC agreeing with everyting Queenie says) to defend all of his screen names, moronic posts and get abused on a regular basis?  Oh my, how pathetic.   

Yo that tired shyt has long been dismissed. Where ya been? Meanwhile, The popcorn machine is empty, and theatre 3 just let out and needs cleanin'. Get back to work fat boy! From what i hear, you could use the exercise. Oh, and could ya grab me some snowcaps? You Jests clown. 

Rally, just curious, why are you a Pats fan? You say you played in college far from here, played in Cleveland and the CFL. I know you say you played for the Pats as a S too, but why a Pats fan and not somewhere else? Are you from the area originally?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

In response to Bustchise's comment:

Queenie, having a conversation with himself (RallyC, the ex NFL all pro who now spends his days posting on BDC agreeing with everyting Queenie says) to defend all of his screen names, moronic posts and get abused on a regular basis?  Oh my, how pathetic.   

Yo that tired shyt has long been dismissed. Where ya been? Meanwhile, The popcorn machine is empty, and theatre 3 just let out and needs cleanin'. Get back to work fat boy! From what i hear, you could use the exercise. Oh, and could ya grab me some snowcaps? You Jests clown. 

Rally, just curious, why are you a Pats fan? You say you played in college far from here, played in Cleveland and the CFL. I know you say you played for the Pats as a S too, but why a Pats fan and not somewhere else? Are you from the area originally?

Babe, I am the son of a retired USN sailor who met my Mom in, and who is originally from, East Boston. I was actually born in the old Chelsea Naval hospital not far from there. Before I was 1- my dad was transferred and we moved to New London Connecticuit. We moved every 2-3 years for the rest of my childhood, but 
    always referred to Boston as my "hometown" as a kid as I never really had one with all the transfers until my teenaged years. I have been a fan of the Sox, Celts, Pats, Bruins from the time that I was able to talk as I've been back there at least once every year to visit family on mom's side, and Ive been to all of the venues for games dozens of times now.  As a matter of fact Im sitting here at this very moment watching the Sox vs Yanks, tied 7-7 in the 9th. I try to watch every game I can.........And since you asked, care to share your story?