Brandon Marshal could be had for a 2nd!!!!!!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Physics. Show Physics's posts

Re: Brandon Marshal could be had for a 2nd!!!!!!!!

In Response to Re: Brandon Marshal could be had for a 2nd!!!!!!!!:
    In Response to Re: Brandon Marshal could be had for a 2nd!!!!!!!! : I'm glad you're not the owner, GM or coach of the Pats.  Ask me, this guy shouldn't even be in the league.  I don't care how talented he is.  And I know he's talented.  But I, like alot of others on this board put a higher value on talent plus character, not just talent alone.  Let the Jets take him.  I'd love to see them further disease themselves.
    Posted by Salcon

...and I'm glad you are not either. I'd just hate to see someone this talented potentially go for a 3rd rounder or whatever to the Jets/Miami/division knowing how talented he actually is and knowing we'd be seeing him possible for 7-8 years... Heck, even if it was the Ravens (e.g., before), this thought would have scared me as I think he is 'that good' to change how a D reacts to your O. 

Granted, yes, maybe characters such as Marshall shouldn't be in the league becuase of what they are like off the field, but a lot of other guys have done a lot of things wrong (be it HGH, steroids, wife beating, shooting/stabbing people outside nightclubs) and still somehow stay in the league. Ultimately, you win in this league because you either have more talent than the next team, or you play with more character (and get a bit lucky) with slightly less talent. But in my book, character and emotion only take you so far. The reality is that the teams with the most talent, and the most elite-level talent, usually win. And typically they also have an elite QB that they cater to/build their team around.

Marshall is a slam dunk, elite WR. He is better than all but 2-3 other guys, and he's younger than them to boot. He immediatley makes Tom Brady, Randy Moss, and anyone else on our offense better. A better offense makes a young and rebuilding defense better (or, can at least mask deficiencies in that defense if you are able to get out to early leads). He is a beast. He immediately means the Jets can't only think about putting Revis on Moss for next season. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Patriots have proven they can get peoples heads right in most cases.  If they sat down with this kid and could get him with the program and willing to play ball (firguratively and literally) I'd be all for it.  You can go years without ever landing this kind of talent at the WR position. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

I say give him a big "roster bonus", payable over the next few years or even just a big signing bonus, and then place a nastier than usual morals or good behavior clause in there that can get most of it back if he f's up.  Then keep his base salary lower for the next few years.  Don't go too big on the deal until he proves he can be a good boy.  Heck, even make it as option years with option bonuses if he is a good boy.  Always acquire talent when you can get it for good value, but protect yourself in case they are an especially bad apple.  He wants to see the $...he will be good.  Give them their lowest 2nd round pick, and sweeten with 6th's or 7th's if they want more.  Keep the top 3 picks for defense...OLB, ILB, DE, or OLB, OLB, DE I say...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsnapper. Show redsnapper's posts

I would go after Marshall with a 2nd. The only scenario I can't see why the Pats wouldn't is if they felt he was a head case. We all know Moss will only go downhill from here.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

In Response to Re: Brandon Marshal could be had for a 2nd!!!!!!!! : LOL!  Does he play defense???? What are you people smoking?
    Posted by m1021us

With Moss and Marshall they might not be playing much defense.  But seriously if it cost only one second rounder that leaves 3 top picks to address the pass rush.  They get an OLB and a DE, that goes a long way to curing the defense. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from krb1981. Show krb1981's posts

How about a 2nd rounder for Charlie Weis

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Did anyone watch the video Pats7393 posted?
    Looks like on-the-field problems to me.

Now radosox from Colorado posted that he's matured and learned respect from Coach McDaniels. Didn't McDaniels bench Marshall for the final game of the season for an accountability issue, a game Denver needed to win to make the playoffs?

We all agree this guy is an amazing talent, but at what price to the team?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

go for it, for a 2nd we couldn't get a better WR, plus Wes would be happy to have the pressure taken off him, plus i wouldn't be against resigning wes welker to a longer term deal with bigger $ this year due to the lack of a cap. Give Marshall a moss style deal with a salary of 7 million this year and next year with more in the following 2 years.  The talent is just too much to pass up, harrison, dillion, and moss were all malcontents. place marshall's locker beside brady's and moss's on the otherside of brady and meet with belichick once a week and i am sure we wouldn't have a problem with him. The only problem we would have is having a reason to run the ball (because we really would be unstoppable by the air).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Hey, one thing... Moss was usually solid in reporting for work and doing his job, just a few Ochocinco type hijinx in there, and Dillon was not a bad character, just tired of playing for the Bengals, after they lied and said they would spend money to fix the team and didn't......  Marshall is NOT that easy a fix.  And a bit of success will push him right over the Prima Donna cliff.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seanblaze. Show seanblaze's posts

Did anyone watch the video Pats7393 posted? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jWm1lak8NQ Looks like on-the-field problems to me. Now radosox from Colorado posted that he's matured and learned respect from Coach McDaniels. Didn't McDaniels bench Marshall for the final game of the season for an accountability issue, a game Denver needed to win to make the playoffs? We all agree this guy is an amazing talent, but at what price to the team ?
    Posted by digger0862

This is old news homey!.....@ 26 Brandon Marshall is Allen Iverson @ 26. Best comparison i can make. An absolute knucklehead off the field. Tough to coach. But gifted as all heck & when the whistle blows & he is performing his craft good lord is he fun to watch. & just like AI Marshall is the ultimate warrior. All he wants to do is beat his opponent.....

Who would want Allen Iverson @ 26?......Every team in the NBA!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

The REAL question:  Could you do better than Brandon Marshall with a second round pick The Answer: No
    Posted by NickC1188

Exactly!  well said. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: Brandon Marshal could be had for a 2nd!!!!!!!! : a second round pick would not demand as much as Marshall would be demanding..... a second round pick can be used for a need of ours like say a defensive player or another TE or O-Line....... a second round pick is not as likely to be a womanizer  as Marshall.....
    Posted by m1021us

My point is that the Patriots have multiple 2nd round picks and multiple needs.  They could easily address the needs at OLB, DE, and TE with their first round pick and two of their second round picks and STILL trade for Marshall.

Sure a draft pick will be cheaper, BUT Marshall is a proven performer on the field in the NFL (with multiple 1,000 yard 10+TD seasons) and the Patriots have only drafted one successful receiver before the 7th round of the draft (Deion Branch, in addition to 7th rounders David Givens and Julian Edelman).  I'd rather see Marshall than another Chad Jackson or Bethel Johnson...

(And they do need another receiving threat, especially because they don't really use the TE in the passing game anyway)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Brandon Marshal could be had for a 2nd!!!!!!!!:
    On ESPN yesterday afternoon/evening adam shefter reported that Broncos Wideout Brandon Marshal could probably be had for a 2nd round pick, due to the lack of takers so far. Patriots have 3 ..... perhaps something to think about! I personally would do it in a heartbeat
    Posted by ccusson1122

there's a reason why there are no takers, and nobody is even offering a 2nd rounder.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

Ive been hoping we would go after this guy all year , everyone w/ a brain knew him and McJosh wasnt happening . Ive been using this analogy as an example for months now. If Marshall was in the draft this year he would " mosdef " be a top ten pick , so getting him for the 22nd pick would be a steal. And I thought all along Denver would part for a 2nd , 2 number 2's or a 2 and 3. All would be absolute steals. He just turned 26 , hes in and will continue to be in his prime for 5-6 more years. He has a special skill set that few have ever had in his ability to play the short game and long game. He can take a bubble screen 40-50 yards for 6 and stretch the field w/ post and 9 routes. And hes already proven he can carry an offense if need be. I hope we sign Randy for 3 more years , Moss/Marshall could rewrite the books! And its a perfect fit , Moss being the greatest flanker to ever play and Marshall playing the X position , already a great player in his own right. Even the jets have to double Moss as it is now , imagine the match-ups if we got Marshall!!! We get Marshall and keep Randy for a couple more years and this O is absolutely great. And we wont have to address that position in the draft until the late rounds if we want. We can focus on O-line , O/ILB , DE , CB , TE. Making this trade makes the whole team better. GO FOR IT!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZigZig. Show ZigZig's posts

Please take him,pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Bad attitude! Malcontent! Disruptive and irresponsible..Oh I could probably name several other reasons but Why? He is however a very talented player and if it weren't for the fact that he couldn't get along with Josh I'd say take the gamble but with his not being coach friendly BB won't roll those dice...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

In Response to Re: Brandon Marshal could be had for a 2nd!!!!!!!! : My point is that the Patriots have multiple 2nd round picks and multiple needs.  They could easily address the needs at OLB, DE, and TE with their first round pick and two of their second round picks and STILL trade for Marshall. Sure a draft pick will be cheaper, BUT Marshall is a proven performer on the field in the NFL  (with multiple 1,000 yard 10+TD seasons) and the Patriots have only drafted one successful receiver before the 7th round of the draft (Deion Branch, in addition to 7th rounders David Givens and Julian Edelman).  I'd rather see Marshall than another Chad Jackson or Bethel Johnson... (And they do need another receiving threat, especially because they don't really use the TE in the passing game anyway)
    Posted by NickC1188

There is a reason that he would only be worth a 2nd rounder.....you still have to extend him, which would be big bucks.....We must be getting closer to the cap number now that we have resigned some of our own....and still have other needs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

In Response to Brandon Marshal could be had for a 2nd!!!!!!!! : there's a reason why there are no takers, and nobody is even offering a 2nd rounder.
    Posted by seattlepat70

I was thinking that, but I also though that it is possible that Denver is waiting for the draft to make a trade...that way they have the upper hand in the draft.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Looks like its either Seattle or Washington now - doesn't seem the pats are even in the mix at all.....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

Looks like its either Seattle or Washington now - doesn't seem the pats are even in the mix at all.....
    Posted by NOISE

I am hoping Seattle.....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TateGroup. Show TateGroup's posts

go for it BM would be a great replacement for Mossy, the would probly trade 48 for him

Sections
Shortcuts