Brandon Marshall being put on market.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bmadmax82. Show bmadmax82's posts

Brandon Marshall being put on market.

A link on Y! Sports is saying that Broncos might be shopping him around. Do you think he is worth looking at? Attitude aside, he is one heck of a WR and would compliment Moss/Welker. If he agrees to a decent contract, then maybe we can see him in Pat's blue and white!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Broncos-shopping-Brandon-Marshall;_ylt=AubK6SeObi1uOlSDkGrMs9NDubYF?urn=nfl,211843

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Re: Brandon Marshall being put on market.

He's going to want that huge contract and rightfully so. The Patriots are not going to break the bank on one wide receiver. Even after 2007, had Moss wanted the big-time money, we probably would have let him go. Luckily, he said he wanted to finish his career here and hence took a paycut.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Espnetboy3. Show Espnetboy3's posts

He is a tremendous talent but aside from his monstreous 21 catch game vs indy look at his numbers. Is he that good?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Pros: 
    *Elite Talent
    *Big, Physical and Fast
    *Young

Cons:
    *The mentality of a child
    *Going to command big dollars on the open market

On talent alone I think there will be interest, but I think NE will pass based on the amount of dollars needed to sign him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebels1520. Show rebels1520's posts

if the patriots win sunday they are a final 8 team

which puts them in new CBA rules where they would have to lose a player of similar value ($ wise).... for example to sign Julius Peppers they would likely need to lose Wilfork

Someone correct me if i am wrong but i believe that rule is in effect for the final 8 divisionm playoff teams

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from justme2. Show justme2's posts

It's worth it to talk with him. Dillon, Moss and several others have come here to win. Maybe his addy is more about wanting to win like Moss than just being a thug..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from falline. Show falline's posts

Not until he grows up.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Well we saw how much of a distraction it can be when a Patriot mouths off.  Do we still remember Adalius?  Why would we want to bring someone in who makes Adalius look like a mature, humble and shy person?  Ditto for T.O.  The counterpoint is that many of us thought the same about Moss before he arrived.  We thought the same thing about Dillon.  So what's the difference?  Dillon wanted to win.  Marshall just wants to get paid.  He could care less if he wins.  Players who want to win would never pull the BS he did in training camp.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

Pat's have other problems to correct.  I expect them to do what they do, acquire offseason depth to compete for jobs.  As such they will likely sign/draft several WR's to compete with Moss, Edelman, Aiken, Tate, Stanback et al.

I don't expect them to go crazy at this position.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Moss won't play forever, but for the time being I think it's important to focus on OLB and RB.

Only for the right price.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

rebel - You are definitely correct about the top 8 rule and free agents. Those teams can only sign the same number of free agents that they lose.

I am not sure, and actually think it is not true, that they have to lose a player of like value (In your example, Wilfork for Peppers). My reason to think it isn't true is who defines the value? I would say that the Top 8 rule is strictly based on number of FAs lost.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Maybe we kick the tires on one of these guys?

Top 5 2010 NFL Wide Receiver Free Agents

#1 2010 NFL Wide Receiver Free Agent- Vincent Jackson- WR San Diego Chargers

Restricted Free Agent for 2010

Vincent Jackson has had a huge contract year in 2009. He has developed into a premier NFL wide receiver. Jackson and Rivers have formed good chemistry on the field and Jackson will be a priority for the Chargers this off-season. Expect Jackson to be back with the Chargers in 2010.

#2 2010 NFL Wide Receivers Free Agent- Brandon Marshall WR Denver Broncos

Restricted Free Agent for 2010

Brandon Marshall recently set the NFL record with 21 catches in one game. He has had his share of off the field problems but seems to have come around for the Broncos this season. Denver would be crazy to let him go away as they need him as their top target to have a chance to compete with San Diego in the AFC West. Look for Brandon Marshall to stay with his same team in 2010.

#3 2010 NFL Wide Receiver Free Agent- Miles Austin WR Dallas Cowboys

Restricted Free Agent 2010

Miles Austin has developed into Tony Romos favorite target in 2009. The Dallas Cowboys have needed the presence of Austin to be able to stretch the field. Dallas will likely spend the money to keep Miles Austin in Texas for 2010 and beyond.

#4 2010 NFL Wide Receiver Free Agent- Terrell Owens WR Buffalo Bills

Terrell Owens has not had a very productive year with Buffalo in 2009.  He will likely be signed by a different team for 2010. At age 36, Owens is looking as the possibility of his best years being behind him. Some NFL team will give Owens a shot at proving he can still be a dominant NFL wide receiver. It will be interesting to see what team takes a chance on him.

#5 2010 NFL Wide Receiver Free Agent-  Braylon Edwards WR New York Jets

Restricted Free Agent for 2010
    Braylon Edwards is a huge target but has disappointed in his NFL career plagued by drops. The New York Jets will likely find a way to keep him with the team for 2010 as they gave up a lot to get him in New York.

Other 2010 Wide Receiver Free Agents

Derek Mason Baltimore
    Antonio Bryant- Tampa Bay
    Steve Breaston- Arizona
    Lance Moore- New Orleans
    Kevin Walter- Houston

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebels1520. Show rebels1520's posts

enoch,
    thats what i wasnt sure about.... how do you determine what a guy WOULD be worth. I hope your right that if we gain one we just have to lose one

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

rebels and enoch, I found this,
    From ESPN insider from Schefter:

Elite Eight free agency woes
    Indianapolis, San Diego and New Orleans have clinched first-round byes, but at a cost. Under the NFL's new rules, in the uncapped year everyone is expecting, none of the teams in the Elite Eight will be allowed to sign free agents unless they lose a free agent. If a team in the final eight loses a free agent, it will be allowed to sign one of equal value. So as odd as it sounds, a team that loses in the wild-card round might turn out to be better off than a team that loses in the divisional playoff round.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebels1520. Show rebels1520's posts

thanks harley.... interesting wrinkle in free agency

maybe the pats make another run at derrick mason.... i would love that and he was close to being here a few years back

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Thanks Harley. I guess I was wrong about value, but how will that be decided?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Enoch, I have no idea, contract? leaguewide value system for each position.

rebels, Mason is getting a little old, 37 next year. How about Antonio Bryant? 26 years old caught 40 balls for a horrible Bucs team, good size 6'1'' 215lbs, he went to college in the North, Pitt. so cold weather should be a problem, but he's from Miami so I could see the 'Fins trying to bring him there.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

My apologies. I am a little slow today. I have a copy of the CBA. Here is the relevant section:

Section.4. Replacement of Free Agents Signed by Other Club:

Each of the eight clubs subject to the provisions of this Article shall be permitted to negotiate and sign one Unrestricted Free Agent to a Player Contract ("New Player") for each Unrestricted Free Agent who was under contract to such Club on the last date of the prior League Year, who has signed with another Club ("Previous Player"), so long as the Player Contract for the New Player shall have a first year Salary of no more than the first year Salary of the Player Contract signed by the Previous Player with the New Club, and an annual increase in any future contract years of no more than 30% of the first contract year Salary, excluding any amounts attributable to any signing bonus. In addition, each such Club and each such player entering into a Player Contract pursuant to this Subsection may not renegotiate to increase the amount of Salary to be paid during the term of the Player Contract for a period of one year after the signing date of such contract.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebels1520. Show rebels1520's posts

harley,
    I do like Antonio Bryant and i think he is going to be on a differant team.... I know Mason is getting old but the Pats were fascinated with him a few years back and whatever steps he had lost it seemed like he got them back this year ... He never been on an offense with a WR better than him and I think he could still do alot of damage on a team where the #1 corner on the opposing team would never be on him! Good point on the Dolphins going for Bryant but I also think Anquan Boldin is finally dealt this summer (just a feeling I have) and the Dolphins would go hard for him again.... WR seems to be one of the positions which could likely have alot of movement

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

EnochRoot, I read that 4 times and still don't understand it..lol. Clear as mud as they say..... legalize mud.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

I think he's the best receiver in football... and nuts

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

Isn't Arizona's Bolden up this year?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Antonio Bryant??  Have you guys really followed his career??  He's a headcase.  He put up his career yr in Tampa last yr, got a big 1 yr deal as their franchise player, and proceeded to go back to his old underwhelming self.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Harley, I think it basically says that if a team signs one of the Top 8's free agents, the first year salary of the player you replace him with cannot exceed the first year salary that your previous FA got from the other team. 

So if a team signs your FA for 1MM for the first year, that is the most you can sign the replacement FA to for his first year.

Then, each following year, the salary can't be more than 30% of that first year.

So, years 2 through x can only be at most 1.3MM in the above example.

Signing bonus is excluded and you can't renegotiate the contract until after one year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Thanks Root, I get it now. Sounds like big headache for those in charge of contracts, signing bonuses and all the other paperwork.....lawyers?

Sections
Shortcuts