Brandon Merriwether

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nishan6t4. Show nishan6t4's posts

Brandon Merriwether

Why is everbody talking about trading this guy or drafting a new Safety next year! The man made the pro bowl last year i know there were some injuries in that position but still at worst Brandon Merriwether was one of the top four players in his position last year. The kid is got talent and he showed it last year. The coaching staff should just work with him and try and get him back to his best because God knows we need him coming up with those INTs. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Brandon Merriwether

He's got the physical talent to make big plays, but he's an undisciplined player who is frequently out of position.  In many ways he's like a Maroney (talented, but frustrating), but it's harder for the average fan to see that because safety play isn't as easy to evaluate as running back play.  Because of his physical talent, however, he has value in a trade.  I doubt BB sees him as the long-term answer at safety, so trading him may make sense.  

It is disappointing, however, to see a first-round pick not really pan out.  BB has invested a lot of picks (high and low) in the DB positions.  Hopefully, Chung and McCourty turn out to be keepers.  I guess there's some possibility that Merriweather will end up okay--but he's feeling like another Maroney to me.  He'll tease you with his potential but never quite live up to it. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Unfortunately, he gets to be compared to Rodney Harrison.

Physically, he is 2 inches shorter and 20 lbs. lighter than Rodney.

Altho Merriwether can lay the wood, as other's have said, he lacks discipline. Maybe it's inexperience, maybe he's not learning as quickly as he should. He's still young and I'm willing to wait to see how he continues to develop.

Even guys like Samuel didn't shine until after the 4th year. Remember how Samuel couldn't hold onto a ball early in his career?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

He has gotten better each and every year though, so just like Bubba pointed out, give him time. WE gave Samuel time and he turned out well. Brandon Has gotten better, he still makes mistakes too often but I think he can fix those mistakes. He definitely has the physical tools to get it done, lets see if the mental parts come together.

On the other hand we have Chung, did jack his first year but is shining bright this year. Time is essential to a players development. Chung has shown that he has the potential to be a "beast" in this defensive system and given more time, I believe he will turn into a household name.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Probowl doesn't mean sh*t.  Doing your job every play is what matters.  He had big problems with that last season and apparently is having problems this season because the coaches are starting Sanders ahead of him.  I thought he's looked good this year other than that one play, but something must be wrong if he's not starting.  He definitely comes across as having a bad attitude. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

he'll get it going. heck he got a pick last week

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Wow draft a new safety? I could see them doing it just to trash James Sanders but my god. Last year Brandon before the Saints game was a top 3 even  top 2 safety in the league. Then his crap started falling apart because fundamentally he started to just go away from it.

The dude is good but right now hes what I would say playing on the level that he should be for just a second year full starter but is in what his fourth year? This is what just happens 3-4 guys were ahead of him in 07, 08 barley played beginning portion and then played because Rodney got hurt, 09 first full year pro bowl played lights out, 10 what happened towards the end of the season is happening now and now has finished playing out. We will see what type of safety play we get from him now. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I give up, just trade him. Then we'll move to get rid of Butler forums... 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: Brandon Merriwether:
    The reporters asked Brandon today if he feels responsible to get the young guys together with him being in his 4th year.   His response was " I dont feel the need to do nothing except what the coaches tell me." Well there it is in a nutshell, and why our secondary is having issues.  the elder statesmen wants no parts of being a leader, and this will hinder the development of our young guys and its why our (ahem) pro bowler has been benched 3 times in 3 games....Yeah, the writing is on the wall, he'll play out his contract here and move on....and we'll keep asking WHY did we get rid of him, cuz he will go to a team like the Skins and be dominant under a basic 4-3 defense... That s ucks!
    Posted by patsfan76

Uhm....agree with everything except, he'll be dominant somewhere else in a 43. LOL, the 43 affects the front seven, it doesn't turn people in the secondary's career around.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I remember when they drafted him and WEEI had his college head coach on for an interview, after I thought, wow that was a little less than an enthusiastic endorsement.  The interviewers tried to compare him to Ed Reed (because he played there and they are similar in size). He was like, Reed is uhm...bigger, smarter, faster, stronger, but we liked Merriweather, he just needs to prove people wrong that he's not a problem child. Well it didn't go exactly like that, but it was pretty close.

Sections
Shortcuts