1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Re: Brandon Spikes: I Love 'Em Already

suspect in coverage

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

In Response to Re: Brandon Spikes: I Love 'Em Already:
    suspect in coverage
    Posted by Getzo
    Suspect is putting it nicely. he is not a 3 down Line Backer Yet. Still has alot of work to do in that area. Brace actually played pretty well I thought. Pierre Woods may as well be cut. SHE adds nothing to the defense. Zero ability to rush the passer. Taylor and Morris must stay healthy. All 3 Tight ends are great.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I wasn't a fan of Spikes, but he's been proving me wrong so far. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

suspect in coverage
    Posted by Getzo

That's why Guyton got signed to an extension. He's the 3rd down LB clokcking in at 4:42 in his 40 time. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"suspect in coverage"

I can't hope to negate such a convincing argument.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"Suspect is putting it nicely. he is not a 3 down Line Backer Yet. Still has alot of work to do in that area."

This one has 3 sentences...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

He looked fine in coverage the last two games. 40 times don't even measure how fast a player is ... they measure how fast he is off of blocks on a track. It is a different athletic exercize than you will see in a game. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bkoo72. Show bkoo72's posts

In Response to Brandon Spikes: I Love 'Em Already:
    To ALL : Ya See ALL , This Thread is less of an "I Told ya So," then it is an, "O.k., Admit you were wrong."  I will NOT be naming names of posters on this particular BDC Board...not because I have class or any values (whatsoever), it's kinda because I havve a short attention span, I'm lazy, I don't care, I'm so lethargic I won't even go back and look at past threads, AND overall I thus forgot any, and sorta-All of the naysayers in terms of New England's Draft Class in particular, and moreso here-Brandon Spikes...  However, I should really RE-emphasize the fact that I WOULD enjoy demeaning some of you (again, with that whole lack of class thing).  Not being near enough to Foxboro (very jealous to those whom are), and not having the NFL Cable package, Up UNTIL this preseason game with Atlanta, The ONLY thing which I could say that I knew proof-positive about in terms of this subject, WAS what I had personally witnessed from The Pats Games I had watched from last season, along with my 12 months a year, rather unhealthy, obsession with the NFL Draft.  Now, BEFORE this 2010 NFL Draft there was some very, very wise (wiser than even ME!) Draft, I should say- Gurus on here, whom made a few remarks on a particular position and a particular player, whom I had hitherto overlooked:  Cornerback Devin McCourty...  So, as most of you know me, I go pretty-nuts, and thus delved into any and ALL pre-Draft research & film on this "McCourty-Kid."  I came away concluding that Devin McCourty WAS imho, The BEST CB in the entire 2010 NFL Draft, far & away.  I wrote this: http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a9690Discussion%3ae67fb13e-4015-4930-8ee6-b285c46a1734&plckFindPostKey=Cat:SportsForum:9690Discussion:e67fb13e-4015-4930-8ee6-b285c46a1734Post:2b7b6ce8-c878-40b5-b5ce-5fb1a551ce88 The original being WhoTH knows (immediate reprint), BUT I 100% stand by the fact then & now, that Devin McCourty (lmao) Is NOT a 1st rd Special Teamer, Yes-He IS "Worth It," No & I don't care IF "NE targeted Jermaine Gresham and settled for DM," and/or Should have selected "Dez Bryant, Dan Williams, Sergio Kindle," or whomever....  Barring an act of god, Devin McCourty IS the best CB in this 2010 Draft and Imho DOES have every making to be the League's future #1 premiere Shut-down Cornerback (although I believe Fowler said once, He can't dance...so HE might be more dead-on than me here). BRANDON SPIKES~ Again, Spikes & McCourty were and ARE my AB-solute favorites from this '10 Class, and again- Up until TONIGHT, all I've known is heresay...Like what I've read positively from this article (or a few attending practice):  " Earlier in camp, coach Bill Belichick said that although Spikes’s tactics aren’t always in line with the techniques his staff preaches, he still manages to get results. “Now that he’s in our defense, some things he does are a little bit different than the way we would teach it, but he still does them well,’’ Belichick said.  Spikes was surprised to hear about his coach’s comments.  “I just kind of trust my eyes, and I just attack whatever I see,’’ Spikes said. “I’m an instinctive player. I know that. They know that. That’s kind of why they probably give me room to just read things .’'" ALONG with the Post-Draft negative about "Guyton or McKenzie being ahead of Spikes," Because Spikes was "A Rookie," or moreso, "A 2 down Ruun Stuffer," and/or far moreso, "Spikes was S-L-O-W, slow, slow, and slowww." I said this 4-5 months ago : " Spikes's slow 40 time on a track field, doesn't mean jack after you look at HIS football instincts, his angles to the play, his willingness to sacrifice his body straight on against O-Lineman, and his UNreal LOVE to simply punish the ball-carrier. ..1 year ago, Spikes is top 10 pick as a guarentee from every NFL Scout ." Which, o.k.... UNTIL I started watching this very Preseason game, was...a (cough) "educated guess."  YET, ARE YOU PEOPLE Who HAVEN'T SEEN BRANDON SPIKES play yet, Watching Him ?!?   Dude, I LOVE this guy...Again, the ONLY thing I knew factually from last year, Was that Gary Guyton s#cked playing Strongside 3-4 Inside Linebacker.  Nickel Defense, and on CERTAIN passing downs...maybe (not even all sold on him then last year), YET NOW watching Brandon Spikes...Yes=3 down ILB imho.  Guyton canNOT play smashmouth in any degree with that added O-Lineman coming off the line in a 3-4 NE Defense, it was apparent very early in the season that Guyton WAS an SILB weak-link...   WATCHING Brandon Spikes - WOW!  Instincts, instincts, and INSTINCTS galore on this freakin' kid.  Smashmouth during run, but lol- Alright I just witnessed 2 subsequent plays with my eyes fixated on Spikes (yes, after making a tackle on a 1st down run).  2nd down-Loved this:  Spikes is shouting out to his fellow defenders (a ROOKIE!), moving them all around and backing them way off the line (on something like a 2nd and 5 or 6).  Offense is in a power formation, But bam-Passing play by Atlanta.  Stopped for an Incompletion as NE's Defense was ready, and waiting for a Pass.  So LOL!  3rd down and 5 or 6 and Spikes (yes, A ROOKIE!), says something to Mayo, while pushing him off to his side and Spikes himself edging a little closer.  Schaub, at this moment is calling a QB audible, and certain guys begin going in motion- By seemingly EVERY account, It IS a passing play.  Ball's hiked, Schaub fades back-and even Atlanta's RB is edging towards the line as if to pass-block...lol-I mean Lmao!...Brandon Spikes doesn't even BUDGE to back away from the LOS and into any semblance of pass-coverage...  What happens next?  Delayed handoff to the RB-Spikes and Mayo get'm...Atlanta's forced to Punt. ~ Guys, O.k.- First Sorry to sound like a know-it-all from above...Greater point though people:  Do NOT sell short what BB sees, what BB Knows that he NEEDS, someone's "instincts" because of a track 40 time, or because Mel Kiper says some guy ain't the Top 2 CBs ... This Defense could very well be something special in the next 1-2 years, after all's said and done... 
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bkoo72. Show bkoo72's posts

I think you mean Matt Ryan...not Schuab

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Phoenix125. Show Phoenix125's posts

I would relax on Brandon Spikes.  The Patriot's linebacker has only played two games against teams in the Pre-Season.

When the regular season starts and he is playing at the same level, please feel free to post your 'Love Post'.  Until then just relax.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Don't listen to them, preach on.  Spikes is the real deal.  He's going to help Mayo get back to glory.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Look some'a you guys, maybe you're new to this...As a veritable "Iron-Clad Rule" on New England Patriots Football, IF I believe something to be true, it usually is, NOW-IF zbellino believes something to be true, It ALSO almost certainly is true.  But Dear Lord-ey, IF we BOTH DO!?  I mean, that's sorta like Heaven's Law being sent down to that Nolan guy on Mount Arafat before leading his posse to the land of MILFs and hot honeys.  So sheez...

I just looked it up, and there was an article on the Boston Herald RE: How well Spikes has looked in Pass Coverage during Practices, There have been posters on here who've attended Practices and have personally remarked Spikes's instincts and abilities all over the field, At Florida Spikes had something like 8 PBU and 6 INTs with 4 returned for TDs...and yea, as an ILB that's pretty d#mn good.  And now in these 2 Preseason Games, I did NOT see the first one, but again, right now as I googled "Spikes & Pass-Coverage", I found this take from the Mass Live Sports Reporter who was at the NO vs NE Game:

"Brandon Spikes – I dogged him a little bit when the Patriots drafted him, but it just goes to show that you can’t put too much stock in 40 times. He held his own the whole way, was quick to the ball and did well in pass coverage. I mentioned last night that the team may want to consider moving Gary Guyton to the outside if Spikes continues to look good."

THEN, there was imho the best & easily most objective Pats Reporter there is, In Mike Reiss, saying this RE: Spikes from that NO Game-

"Brandon Spikes in the middle. It looks as though the Patriots have a find in Spikes, the second-round draft choice (62nd overall) out of Florida who slipped because of a slow 40-yard dash. He played as much as any defender, led the team in tackles (eight), and has a presence about him."

THEN, From what people like zbellino and I Myself, PERSONALLY saw RE: Spikes's Instincts and Abilities to have simply a fantastic reading of plays and jump on the ball, let alone a physical & intimidating prescence on the field on BOTH passing and undoubtedly on running downs...
         YES...Gonna have ta conclude I LOVED what I've seen from Brandon Spikes being a 3 down SILB.

I AM sorry though to have to pass on the extremely well-formulated arguments ofsuspect in coverage AND he is not a 3 down Line Backer Yet...It was very tough to take these lightly however.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southnpatsfan. Show southnpatsfan's posts

In Response to Brandon Spikes: I Love 'Em Already:
    To ALL : Ya See ALL , This Thread is less of an "I Told ya So," then it is an, "O.k., Admit you were wrong."  I will NOT be naming names of posters on this particular BDC Board...not because I have class or any values (whatsoever), it's kinda because I havve a short attention span, I'm lazy, I don't care, I'm so lethargic I won't even go back and look at past threads, AND overall I thus forgot any, and sorta-All of the naysayers in terms of New England's Draft Class in particular, and moreso here-Brandon Spikes...  However, I should really RE-emphasize the fact that I WOULD enjoy demeaning some of you (again, with that whole lack of class thing).  Not being near enough to Foxboro (very jealous to those whom are), and not having the NFL Cable package, Up UNTIL this preseason game with Atlanta, The ONLY thing which I could say that I knew proof-positive about in terms of this subject, WAS what I had personally witnessed from The Pats Games I had watched from last season, along with my 12 months a year, rather unhealthy, obsession with the NFL Draft.  Now, BEFORE this 2010 NFL Draft there was some very, very wise (wiser than even ME!) Draft, I should say- Gurus on here, whom made a few remarks on a particular position and a particular player, whom I had hitherto overlooked:  Cornerback Devin McCourty...  So, as most of you know me, I go pretty-nuts, and thus delved into any and ALL pre-Draft research & film on this "McCourty-Kid."  I came away concluding that Devin McCourty WAS imho, The BEST CB in the entire 2010 NFL Draft, far & away.  I wrote this: http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a9690Discussion%3ae67fb13e-4015-4930-8ee6-b285c46a1734&plckFindPostKey=Cat:SportsForum:9690Discussion:e67fb13e-4015-4930-8ee6-b285c46a1734Post:2b7b6ce8-c878-40b5-b5ce-5fb1a551ce88 The original being WhoTH knows (immediate reprint), BUT I 100% stand by the fact then & now, that Devin McCourty (lmao) Is NOT a 1st rd Special Teamer, Yes-He IS "Worth It," No & I don't care IF "NE targeted Jermaine Gresham and settled for DM," and/or Should have selected "Dez Bryant, Dan Williams, Sergio Kindle," or whomever....  Barring an act of god, Devin McCourty IS the best CB in this 2010 Draft and Imho DOES have every making to be the League's future #1 premiere Shut-down Cornerback (although I believe Fowler said once, He can't dance...so HE might be more dead-on than me here). BRANDON SPIKES~ Again, Spikes & McCourty were and ARE my AB-solute favorites from this '10 Class, and again- Up until TONIGHT, all I've known is heresay...Like what I've read positively from this article (or a few attending practice):  " Earlier in camp, coach Bill Belichick said that although Spikes’s tactics aren’t always in line with the techniques his staff preaches, he still manages to get results. “Now that he’s in our defense, some things he does are a little bit different than the way we would teach it, but he still does them well,’’ Belichick said.  Spikes was surprised to hear about his coach’s comments.  “I just kind of trust my eyes, and I just attack whatever I see,’’ Spikes said. “I’m an instinctive player. I know that. They know that. That’s kind of why they probably give me room to just read things .’'" ALONG with the Post-Draft negative about "Guyton or McKenzie being ahead of Spikes," Because Spikes was "A Rookie," or moreso, "A 2 down Ruun Stuffer," and/or far moreso, "Spikes was S-L-O-W, slow, slow, and slowww." I said this 4-5 months ago : " Spikes's slow 40 time on a track field, doesn't mean jack after you look at HIS football instincts, his angles to the play, his willingness to sacrifice his body straight on against O-Lineman, and his UNreal LOVE to simply punish the ball-carrier. ..1 year ago, Spikes is top 10 pick as a guarentee from every NFL Scout ." Which, o.k.... UNTIL I started watching this very Preseason game, was...a (cough) "educated guess."  YET, ARE YOU PEOPLE Who HAVEN'T SEEN BRANDON SPIKES play yet, Watching Him ?!?   Dude, I LOVE this guy...Again, the ONLY thing I knew factually from last year, Was that Gary Guyton s#cked playing Strongside 3-4 Inside Linebacker.  Nickel Defense, and on CERTAIN passing downs...maybe (not even all sold on him then last year), YET NOW watching Brandon Spikes...Yes=3 down ILB imho.  Guyton canNOT play smashmouth in any degree with that added O-Lineman coming off the line in a 3-4 NE Defense, it was apparent very early in the season that Guyton WAS an SILB weak-link...   WATCHING Brandon Spikes - WOW!  Instincts, instincts, and INSTINCTS galore on this freakin' kid.  Smashmouth during run, but lol- Alright I just witnessed 2 subsequent plays with my eyes fixated on Spikes (yes, after making a tackle on a 1st down run).  2nd down-Loved this:  Spikes is shouting out to his fellow defenders (a ROOKIE!), moving them all around and backing them way off the line (on something like a 2nd and 5 or 6).  Offense is in a power formation, But bam-Passing play by Atlanta.  Stopped for an Incompletion as NE's Defense was ready, and waiting for a Pass.  So LOL!  3rd down and 5 or 6 and Spikes (yes, A ROOKIE!), says something to Mayo, while pushing him off to his side and Spikes himself edging a little closer.  Schaub, at this moment is calling a QB audible, and certain guys begin going in motion- By seemingly EVERY account, It IS a passing play.  Ball's hiked, Schaub fades back-and even Atlanta's RB is edging towards the line as if to pass-block...lol-I mean Lmao!...Brandon Spikes doesn't even BUDGE to back away from the LOS and into any semblance of pass-coverage...  What happens next?  Delayed handoff to the RB-Spikes and Mayo get'm...Atlanta's forced to Punt. ~ Guys, O.k.- First Sorry to sound like a know-it-all from above...Greater point though people:  Do NOT sell short what BB sees, what BB Knows that he NEEDS, someone's "instincts" because of a track 40 time, or because Mel Kiper says some guy ain't the Top 2 CBs ... This Defense could very well be something special in the next 1-2 years, after all's said and done... 
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium

God, I got dizzy from reading all this crap, man you need to get a REAL life!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

Laz, you have to chill
    you werent the only one that wasnt pessimistic after the draft

plus, weve seen two preseason games, relax
    everyone knew that spikes was a beast, but we still dont know if hes gonna be a liability with his speed
    and so far McCourty has done well, but so have Wilhite and Wheatly... so wait a little more before you crown yourself as the ultimate pats rookie bandwagon jumper

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

See it always gets me- I mean I know or at least, can understand the type of person who posts a long post about sports on a Sport's Board, but idk- I'm just not fully sure that I fully get the mentality of the person, that comes on a thread solely in order to add, "Boy, THAT is a LONG sport's subject on this sport's site...ha-ha You pal, Don't have a LIFE!"  I mean, Does he want, or possibly NEED me, to respond back in anger: "You, See here buddy...".  Do I get sad, for some reason that I'm currently missing?  Do I just move on...idk?  What exactly, is needed from ME here, do'ya need some sage advice?  A Wittgenstein quote?  Do you want some pocket change, I'm unsure?  If ya respond that you want a shorter thread, sheez- WhyTH even respond to begin with?  You got dizzy, so maybe you need me to give you something for Vertigo, and then well- I'd have to come over there because of the motion sickness thing of modern travel...perhaps clean your ears, and test your home for pollen or dust- Is this...is this what I should be taking away in the end, or was it the whole "negative reaction thing," which- Was it hopefully O.k.?       

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In Response to Brandon Spikes: I Love 'Em Already : God, I got dizzy from reading all this crap, man you need to get a REAL life!!!
    Posted by southnpatsfan

Us ADHD folks have never managed to get through a typical Laz post.  I thought Little Laz was created to translate the real Laz' posts for us?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"Us ADHD folks have never managed to get through a typical Laz post.  I thought Little Laz was created to translate the real Laz' posts for us?"

Now THIS is how it SHOULD  be played...take note poster #1 (very nicely done caraway).  8^)  I still don't know exactly IF I need to give him, maybe- idk, make him a sandwich or something?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ONE-TIME. Show ONE-TIME's posts

I have to admit , i had this one all the way and have been saying we need as help help at ILB as we do at OLB. And I was calling for Spikes all year , especially since everyone knew he would drop because hes not a sprinter. KID IS THE REAL DEAL.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

I must admit I begged BB not to draft this guy in the first round, I said he looked slow on the field in film and not 1st rd material. I said he would be good value late in the 2nd.

He looks alot better than I expected and very glad we got him, he is a solid 2 down LB and I think he looks like his ability will keep him out there on 3rd in the near future. Still very happy to have McCourty in the first, worked out perfect.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

For every player drafted there is a guy who comes out and says remember what I told you guys about him? Why couldn't you all see what a pro bowl player this guy was destined to be? And for every bust there is a guy who was ready to post a remember what I said about him you should have listened to me post.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleLazJunior. Show LittleLazJunior's posts

In Response to Brandon Spikes: I Love 'Em Already : God, I got dizzy from reading all this crap, man you need to get a REAL life!!!
    Posted by southnpatsfan

HE has a real life Genius! Just because he is happy seeing a Rookie playing on the Patriots with seemingly extraordinary football skills and writes about it that means he doesnt have a life? Why does someone such as yourself take the time to read what is written which by the way is in favor of the Patriots and the hopes of a turning point for the defense and its newer players, then bash the man for beng happy about it. Is there really such a need for your negativity? Cant you just join in and say Hey!, maybe this kid Spikes will develope into somone positive for the Patriots? It would seem it might be yo uwith no life at all, first for reading all of what Big Daddy Laz wrote, getting dizzy as you say, and then pondering that he has no life, then writing and telling him so. He was off enjoying the defensive possibilities for this football season for the Patriots, all the while you sit there and wonder if he has a life. You sir, are put on notice! Yell

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleLazJunior. Show LittleLazJunior's posts

In Response to Re: Brandon Spikes: I Love 'Em Already : Us ADHD folks have never managed to get through a typical Laz post.  I thought Little Laz was created to translate the real Laz' posts for us?
    Posted by carawaydj

Ok your right, I was put here to write what he was saying in short hand! So heres what he said. BRANDON SPIKES....Good Player so far! oh yeah forgot, told you so!
    Laughing

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Yes it is still pre-season BUT you can see what Spikes brings to the game.  He's a beast of a run stopper already and may very well develop in pass coverage.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Spikes is a player and I think a steal where we got him. I want to see how he and McClain compare over the course of the season. McClain taken at #8, Spikes at #62. 

Spikes is not as bad as some think in coverage. Sure he has room to improve, but his instincts as Laz pointed out more than make up for any "speed concerns".

Could we see another Patriot rookie LB win DROY award?....Any takers?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I like Spikes and am just as impressed as I was last week. As far as the Coverage the Pats played a lot of zone as usuall and layed back pretty much giving up all of those short passes. I suspect that will tighten up a little bit when the regular season starts. The important thing for me is that they looked solid on run defense again against another good offense. Spikesies my Man.

Sections
Shortcuts