Brandon Spikes is the pick

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

Re: Brandon Spikes is the pick

love it! this guy can hit...thats something we have been lacking. spikes will bring some much needed swagger and physical play to the defense. i'd love to see another power guy in the 3rd...no more getting run over by the ravens and the rest of the AFC east!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

Spikes got attitude...thats what the pats need!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: Brandon Spikes is the pick:
    How fast is Ray Lewis? Not to compare the two but speed is not everything...
    Posted by FrogLegs

Now? Or when he was drafted. When he came out he was in the 4.6 range, Spikes couldn't do that in a car.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Folks if Spikes needs to run 40 yards to make a play that would be more of an issue than his 40 time.  Get it?  The 40 time is a dumb stat for inside LB's making plays within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage.
    Posted by dwtime

Nice one.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

the 40 is overated!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Folks if Spikes needs to run 40 yards to make a play that would be more of an issue than his 40 time.  Get it?  The 40 time is a dumb stat for inside LB's making plays within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage.
    Posted by dwtime

He also ran the slowest 3 cone drill at 6.97 among ILB that ran in the combine. I'm not saying he's not going to be a good ILB but don't expect him to cover unless it's under zone and don't expect sacks. He's going to be huge in run stopping though which after the Ravens game having a big instinctive run stopping ILB up the middle is going to be an instant upgrade 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

He played in the SEC, arguably the conference with the fastest players.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from btmboricua25. Show btmboricua25's posts

Brandon Spikes will be aright,I like this pick and the TE!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PSRyan. Show PSRyan's posts

Even though he's a run stopper his instincts in the passing game are obviously excellent given the number of picks. Playmakers are exactly what this defense needs. Hopefully that knack carries over to the pros.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from agent56. Show agent56's posts

Love the Spikes pick! He is Mayo's best friend too so I am sure he's been picking his brain for a while. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

He played in the SEC, arguably the conference with the fastest players.
    Posted by patsfaninsatx

And your point? Did they steal his speed and make him slower? You can't argue with the point that his 40 was slow, his 3 cone was slow, he looked slow during drills at his pro-day and refused to run another 40 at hs pro-day. If the guy wasn't slow he would have ran the 40 at his pro-day o prove the 5.0 was a fluke. The guy has amazing instincts and plugs tons of holes up th middle but he's not running down a rb around the edge anytime soon nor is he rushing the middle to exploit a quick gap. He's exactly what we wanted, another big hard hitting body to plug the holes and stop the run.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Love the Spikes pick! He is Mayo's best friend too so I am sure he's been picking his brain for a while. 
    Posted by agent56

He's also dating Rivers daughter

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

In Response to Re: Brandon Spikes is the pick : And your point? Did they steal his speed and make him slower? You can't argue with the point that his 40 was slow, his 3 cone was slow, he looked slow during drills at his pro-day and refused to run another 40 at hs pro-day. If the guy wasn't slow he would have ran the 40 at his pro-day o prove the 5.0 was a fluke. The guy has amazing instincts and plugs tons of holes up th middle but he's not running down a rb around the edge anytime soon nor is he rushing the middle to exploit a quick gap. He's exactly what we wanted, another big hard hitting body to plug the holes and stop the run.
    Posted by PatsEng

first of all you answered your own question....he has football instincts....thats what counts....how many great players are in the NFL that didnt have a great combine.

And my point of playing in the SEC is that he constantly played against the fastest players in college, so speed shouldnt be too much of an issue when it comes to the field.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Spikes is one of thos eplayers who is game fast I don't care about the combine last time I knew you don't run around cones or run 40 yard sprints w/o pads in a football game.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ONE-TIME. Show ONE-TIME's posts

Wow I really like this pick and have been on this kid for a while now. Im sorry , but I really dont care about the 40 , 3 cone etc that much. Im not saying it doesnt matter , but its certainly not the end all , be all for me. Game tape , all 22 tape is whats important. Ive been saying that the ILB position is as much of a need as any. QUICK WORD about the OLB's. Ive been saying for months that there isnt one guy that was worth a first round pick and not one projected OLB was taken to play that spot. One guy I really like is Bowman and Im praying we grab him at 90.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I won't grade this draft until week 8. I want to see how well Jermaine Cunnigham can rush the QB. If he does well, it was a good draft, if he stinks, BAD DRAFT! If New England doesn't get a pass-Rusher from this draft and go another year without a rush, we'll stink!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from vinniedonuts1. Show vinniedonuts1's posts

barry sanders wasnt fast neither was jerry rice...this guy is to plug holes, not run 40 yeards.If we were the raiders i would be crying, but its the pats, so 40 means nothing

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Brandon Spikes is the pick : first of all you answered your own question....he has football instincts....thats what counts....how many great players are in the NFL that didnt have a great combine. And my point of playing in the SEC is that he constantly played against the fastest players in college, so speed shouldnt be too much of an issue when it comes to the field.
    Posted by patsfaninsatx

I'm not argueing that he wasn't a great pick because I like the pick a lot and think he's going to be a great player for us. Inside with Mayo he's going to be great provided they put him in the right situation to succeed which I have no doubt they will. My only complaint is people saying he isn't slow when even on game film you can clearly see he's a step behind. Now thankfully he is very instinctive which will help a lot but my original aguement came from someone calling him a pass rusher, which he isn't, then trying to use the numbers to say he's not fast enough to rush.

If you use him as Florida does underneath zone and as a gap watcher for the running game he'll excel but that was also designed to hide his lack of speed, which is perfectly fine because you put him in a position to succeed by removing his only big weakness and utilizes his strengths.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

In Response to Re: Brandon Spikes is the pick : I'm not argueing that he wasn't a great pick because I like the pick a lot and think he's going to be a great player for us. Inside with Mayo he's going to be great provided they put him in the right situation to succeed which I have no doubt they will. My only complaint is people saying he isn't slow when even on game film you can clearly see he's a step behind. Now thankfully he is very instinctive which will help a lot but my original aguement came from someone calling him a pass rusher, which he isn't, then trying to use the numbers to say he's not fast enough to rush. If you use him as Florida does underneath zone and as a gap watcher for the running game he'll excel but that was also designed to hide his lack of speed, which is perfectly fine because you put him in a position to succeed by removing his only big weakness and utilizes his strengths.
    Posted by PatsEng

well at least we agree on that...im sure BB knows what he wants to do with him and we will see how it pans out...alot of people are relying on Brandon Tate as our next WR, but this guy has been injured for almost two years...i know i changed the subject a bit but my point is that we dont know until they get on the field....if you want to say he is slow because of the combine then he is slow, but at least we all like this pick.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think the Pats need a guy in the middle who's a bit stouter against the run than Guyton.  I think Guyton moves outside--or comes in on third down--and Spikes and Mayo start at ILB on 1st and 2nd down.  I like this Spikes pick a lot.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I think the Pats need a guy in the middle who's a bit stouter against the run than Guyton.  I think Guyton moves outside--or comes in on third down--and Spikes and Mayo start at ILB on 1st and 2nd down.  I like this Spikes pick a lot.  
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

I agree I see McKenzie, Mayo, and Spikes in the middle with TBC 2/3 and Guyton 1/2 platooning on the ROLB spot and Cummingham and X player platooning on LOLB

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbalance617. Show jbalance617's posts

I remember a pats lb that didnt have much foot
    speed but his bone crushing hit on Jerome Pathon
    from the colts helped start the run to a superbowl
    victory in 01. Brian Cox. He wasnt fast but he made
    up for it with his instincts and toughness. Maybe
    Spikes can develop into that type of player.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: Brandon Spikes is the pick : I agree I see McKenzie, Mayo, and Spikes in the middle with TBC 2/3 and Guyton 1/2 platooning on the ROLB spot and Cummingham and X player platooning on LOLB
    Posted by PatsEng

Yep . . . by drafting the ILB we helped ourself at both ILB and OLB. Pretty nice move, I think.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Guyton is NOT an OLB. Did you watch the Seahawks game two years ago? They put Colvin (who was working at UPS days earlier) in as soon as Guyton was drove off the line embarrassingly easily. 

In Response to Re: Brandon Spikes is the pick : I agree I see McKenzie, Mayo, and Spikes in the middle with TBC 2/3 and Guyton 1/2 platooning on the ROLB spot and Cummingham and X player platooning on LOLB
    Posted by PatsEng

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Guyton is NOT an OLB. Did you watch the Seahawks game two years ago? They put Colvin (who was working at UPS days earlier) in as soon as Guyton was drove off the line embarrassingly easily.  In Response to Re: Brandon Spikes is the pick :
    Posted by Rockdog1293000

He started the season last year at OLB (against Buffalo) and played there against Miami and the Jets. Plus he was an OLB in college.  I think he's more of a 4-3 OLB than a 3-4 OLB, but I'd like to see what he can do outside with regular snaps there.