Brandon Spikes MIA

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Brandon Spikes MIA

I think BB is fine with nonconformists if they play well and don't cause distractions.  He doesn't like guys who cause distractions, though, or who don't deliver. 

Spikes is a good player, but he's a bit one dimensional and maybe not as smart as BB tends to like. He also has come a tad closer to creating distractions than BB would like, I imagine.  Still, if BB thinks he can contribute on the field and not cause any major distractions off the field, there's no reason BB won't keep him.

If I had to bet, however, I guess I'd put my money on him not being re-signed, mostly because I think he's not the smart, versatile type BB seems to favour. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Spikes a no show for voluntary workouts today.  The plot thickens. 

According to Jeff Howe of the Boston Herald, Spikes has been working out on his own, and isn’t staying away because he’s unhappy with his contract, which expires after this season. Every other starter has been at the facility in some capacity since the offseason program began on April 15.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tydog. Show Tydog's posts

Would be better if Spikes were in NE.  The team starts installing the playbook today, and pretty much everyone else is there. Strange time to be absent with a contract season coming up. Accoring to Riess he has rarely been spotted at the team facilities this offseason. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to BassFishingII's comment:

In response to TFB12's comment:

Spikes a no show for voluntary workouts today.  The plot thickens. 

According to Jeff Howe of the Boston Herald, Spikes has been working out on his own, and isn’t staying away because he’s unhappy with his contract, which expires after this season. Every other starter has been at the facility in some capacity since the offseason program began on April 15.

Is that different than any other year for him?  If he's fine with his contract, I don't see this as a big deal. He's entering his 4th season and is a veteran at this point.

What part of this post don't you understand.... "Every other starter has been at the facility in some capacity since the offseason program began on April 15."  You don't find that a tad bit alarming?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to Tydog's comment:

Would be better if Spikes were in NE.  The team starts installing the playbook today, and pretty much everyone else is there. Strange time to be absent with a contract season coming up. Accoring to Riess he has rarely been spotted at the team facilities this offseason. 

EXACTLY!  But don't worry, Rusty thinks it's okay. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

best case scenerio: he's working with a speed coach to improve his coverage ability (which was better last year), and turn himself into a true 3 down LB. maybe doing some aditional work to improve durability.

worst case: he's partying in florida.

the truth is he probably is working out at U of Florida. a lot of players work out at their alma mater and maybe he just prefers being close to home in the offseason. who knows. spikes is a quirky dude. injuries have held him up but when he's healthy he's a good player and a truely feared hitter. how many of those guys are left in the NFL? when we're in goal line situations the guy puts his hat on the ball carier and jarred it loose several times this year. personally i would love to see him stay healthy and see what kind of season he can put together. but you just never really know with him...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to artielang's comment:

best case scenerio: he's working with a speed coach to improve his coverage ability (which was better last year), and turn himself into a true 3 down LB. maybe doing some aditional work to improve durability.

worst case: he's partying in florida.

the truth is he probably is working out at U of Florida. a lot of players work out at their alma mater and maybe he just prefers being close to home in the offseason. who knows. spikes is a quirky dude. injuries have held him up but when he's healthy he's a good player and a truely feared hitter. how many of those guys are left in the NFL? when we're in goal line situations the guy puts his hat on the ball carier and jarred it loose several times this year. personally i would love to see him stay healthy and see what kind of season he can put together. but you just never really know with him...

If I was to guess I would say he has been focusing on football and has been working out hard on his own.  He strikes me as the type of guy who has a lot of drive to be the best he can be.  I just find it odd that he wouldn't be with the Pats right now, given this is his contract season. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I do find it strange spikes not being there when everyone else is. 

Russ, your point that he is a vet doesn't make sense..if that was the case, vw, mayo,etc wouldn't be there either. 

3 things come to mind

1. He is possibly nursing an injury, and will be there soon

2. He was excused for personal reasons that the pats haven't disclosed

3. He was told to stay home because they are trading him

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Russ, your point that he is a vet doesn't make sense..if that was the case, vw, mayo,etc wouldn't be there either. 

3 things come to mind

I hope # 3 isn't one of the reasons.  Afterall, who would wear the pink suit to the SB this season?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

Spikes gave an interview a little more than a month ago and said something to the effect of how much he loves playing football and he working hard for next season. I wouldn't read too much into it and the Patriots are clearly a better team when he's on the field. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

Spikes is a monster... i hope they ink him for the long term...

We need his attitude, we need him to set the tone... 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

You guys are right about Spikes being a two-down LB and a one-dimensional run defender, but man can he hammer people!  I can think of a couple of games that he changed in our favor last year with huge hits that forced fumbles.  He is also an emotional leader for our defense and brings a swagger and attitude that we have lacked for a while.  I think that he is a more important player for us than many are giving him credit for.  I hope we can resign him to a new deal.

Huge tone setter. The D plays with an edge with him out there. He's really our only player who will lay the lumber. People have whined about not our D not being physical for years. 

I look forward to Spikes on the field with Adrian Wilson knocking people's heads off, 1 down, 2 downs or 3 downs. 

Also, who is claiming "Spikes is not reporting to Forxborough". One of these Millenials that started a website claiming to be a "head scout"?  Mike Loyko or Dan Hope, from his lair at Ohio State? lmao

Nah probably some 30-something gen-x whining slacker with no real problems but "vast cultural experience"

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

You guys are right about Spikes being a two-down LB and a one-dimensional run defender, but man can he hammer people!  I can think of a couple of games that he changed in our favor last year with huge hits that forced fumbles.  He is also an emotional leader for our defense and brings a swagger and attitude that we have lacked for a while.  I think that he is a more important player for us than many are giving him credit for.  I hope we can resign him to a new deal.

Huge tone setter. The D plays with an edge with him out there. He's really our only player who will lay the lumber. People have whined about not our D not being physical for years. 

I look forward to Spikes on the field with Adrian Wilson knocking people's heads off, 1 down, 2 downs or 3 downs. 

Also, who is claiming "Spikes is not reporting to Forxborough". One of these Millenials that started a website claiming to be a "head scout"?  Mike Loyko or Dan Hope, from his lair at Ohio State? lmao

Nah probably some 30-something gen-x whining slacker with no real problems but "vast cultural experience"

There's another one on here who's " worldly ".  Knows it all.  Even been to Florida. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

3 things come to mind

These are voluntary OTAs, and players do sometimes simply choose not to attend.  They don't have to, after all. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Understood, but is voluntary really voluntary when the expectation is everyone shows? 

In the end you are probably correct. Nothing here and he shows up when It becomes mandatory .

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Understood, but is voluntary really voluntary when the expectation is everyone shows? 

In the end you are probably correct. Nothing here and he shows up when It becomes mandatory .

Most show up, but they don't always show up.  I think I read somewhere that Spikes has no offseason workout bonus, so that may factor in too. He may not have any particular financial incentive to show up.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Personally I think the defense is better when Spikes is on the field than when he's not.  As has been noted, he's a tone setter.  He imposes his will and gets the rest of the defense fired up.  I'm old school when it comes to defense and feel a guy with attitude and alove for popping people out of their cleats is good for the team.  And he's the only guy on our D known for doing that.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

In response to auchhhhhhhhhhh's comment:

Spikes is a monster... i hope they ink him for the long term...

We need his attitude, we need him to set the tone... 

Damn Staight!  Spikes is a Beastmaster and he hits like a killah!  BB loves him!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

We have one of the weakest LB cores in the NFL.  Hopefully Hightower, Jones and the new blood can force out the three stiffs (Mayo, Spikes and [insert name])

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

hMMMMM.....I believe the stat was passes thrown with Spikes in coverage were completed ~83% of the time.

I think we can agree that Spikes is a liability in coverage. (3rd down)

He's rock solid against the run for sure.

History should not be ignored.

Parcells and Belichick love gym rats, guys that go the extra mile. Heck, Steve DeOssie stuck with them because of it.

If you want a roster spot you show up during the off season.

Spikes won't be re-signed....and don't be shocked if he ain't on the roster come September.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

In response to Tydog's comment:

EXACTLY!  But don't worry, Rusty thinks it's okay. 

If our Hall of Fame QB had done this Rusty would of had a hissy fit, but when a linebacker that needs to improve does it...it's A OK!!

Sections
Shortcuts