Brandon Spikes: PFF Has Him 2nd in league of inside lbs against the run at +10.1

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Brandon Spikes: PFF Has Him 2nd in league of inside lbs against the run at +10.1

hes on pace to finish with a career high 149 tackles

wtih this caveat:

"While the highlight-reel hits and animosity with opponents (either real or perceived) makes for great theater, if Spikes wants to be considered a truly elite linebacker, some believe he needs to start stringing together more consistent performances, particularly when it comes to pass defense."

he may not be patrick willis, but i'll take him any day.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Re: Brandon Spikes: PFF Has Him 2nd in league of inside lbs against the run at +10.1

i like him for his run d. He still has problems w/ coverage and sometimes is out of position or picks the wrong hole - BUT, he is an impact player. How many fumbles has he created this season. How many opponents DON'T want to get hit by him.  And his favorite player is Butkus....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Re: Brandon Spikes: PFF Has Him 2nd in league of inside lbs against the run at +10.1

Spikes is best player on this d because of his energy and hitting...  He is the key.  I hope he doesn't get fined this week. 

he did have a pas defensed in the end zone.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

As an ILB coverage shouldn't be his strong suit. He's there to make game changing plays (ie fumbles and pressure). We have Mayo for the solid all around back pruposes. Yes, both are very important and play off each other. It's just Spikes makes the impact plays so he's more recognizable but the consistency Mayo brings makes the duo special. Now once Hightower becomes more consistent that's going to be a special LB core. However, I don't think they need to find a good 3rd down LB for coverage situations.

Right at this moment though I think we have one of the best LB cores in the game. Now if only the Pats would take advantage of it and rush more then 3-4.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Spikes is a beast!  He might not be the fastest LB in football but he is tough as nails!! Love watchung him play!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

He reminds me so much of Bryan Cox. Cox wasn't the fastest guy but he could play! Much like Spikes

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehub. Show thehub's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He reminds me so much of Bryan Cox. Cox wasn't the fastest guy but he could play! Much like Spikes

[/QUOTE]

+1  

I hope he sticks around for many years. I also would like BB to play him down hill more. He is very disruptive and must be accounted for playing down hill. Back peddling? Zone? Not so much. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Spikes is a quality ILB, and part of that is that he is excellent at getting to the runner. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I hate when people bag on his coverage ability, Bruschi wasn't much of a cover LB either.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

He looks like a +8.3 linebacker to me.  But the difference between an +8.3 and a +10.1 is only about a Stanley Nickel, maybe as much as two and a half Schrute bucks.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In response to shenanigan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He looks like a +8.3 linebacker to me.  But the difference between an +8.3 and a +10.1 is only about a Stanley Nickel, maybe as much as two and a half Schrute bucks.

[/QUOTE]

He may not be a great coverage LB, but he always seems to make the tackle on the receiver he's covering. That's a strength we could use in a few others.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Great comparison. I always remember that Cox was portrayed as a 'dirty player ( read aggressive)" . And when he gave the bird to Buffalo fans he was portrayed as a jerk. But when he came to us in the 2001 season, I said "YES, great ! now he is our jerk.. hopefully same will hold true for Talib"

I loved his statement when he was being fined on multiple occasions for  questionable hits ( ala James Harrison)  " they can fine me all they want...  hey, I've been poor before' , referencing his upbringing in East St Louis.

also he was asked at the end of the 2001 season if he should be reactivated and he said something to the effect that the team was playing so good that he didnt want to disrupt what was happenning.

I respect Bryan Cox and think he was a cog in the Pats resurgance.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

He´s a player... plus intimidant force... maybe the only one we have on D.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to Navin Johnson's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Neal Page's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He's emerging into an elite LB in this league. No doubt.  Big difference maker. Said it last year when he and Chung were out.  Key player with instincts you can't teach. Will get better every year.

[/QUOTE]

^^ What he said.

[/QUOTE]

That is never a guarantee.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Would love to see everyone on the defense play the way Spikes does

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I hate when people bag on his coverage ability, Bruschi wasn't much of a cover LB either.

[/QUOTE]

Bruschi had a knack for being around the ball in zone coverage and coming up with huge picks.

I remember a great pick by spikes in playoff ravens game.  That was an athletic leaping hands over head catch and run back.  This guy is the real deal.

That said , could do without the arm flex when a guy is injured.  When I saw that it really surprised me, like dude... Not cool.  Hit was cool.  Arm flex not so much.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Both of them can be effective in zone. You need a pass rush to get LBers some interceptions. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

wtih this caveat:

"While the highlight-reel hits and animosity with opponents (either real or perceived) makes for great theater, if Spikes wants to be considered a truly elite linebacker, some believe he needs to start stringing together more consistent performances, particularly when it comes to pass defense."

[/QUOTE]

Im glad you mentioned him. I will say compared to where he was when he first arrived, He has made great strides in the coverage dept and at this point I wouldnt put him that far behind any other of our linebackers. I mean his 1st year he wouldnt even chase anyone beyond 5 yards before he would just stop and this kept him off the field in passing situations. Now he is usually on the field and can atleast run with the tight end now. My not make too many INTs but he has a couple on his resume and im just glad to see he is improving in that area but lets face it. He is here to wreack havoc on RBs and can also punish QBs. He has been a much needed force in this struggling defense.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

I want to see spikes and Hightower unleashed this week on alternating blitzes to get them in lucks face and/ or blow up plays in the backfield.

This front seven is just begging to be a dominant pressure defense, a la buddy Ryan 46...

Would be nice to see it mixed in , especially in the first quarter to make luck as uncomfortable as possible.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

maybe. But he's was an impact playmaker....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

wtih this caveat:

[/QUOTE]

Im glad you mentioned him. I will say compared to where he was when he first arrived, He has made great strides in the coverage dept and at this point I wouldnt put him that far behind any other of our linebackers. I mean his 1st year he wouldnt even chase anyone beyond 5 yards before he would just stop and this kept him off the field in passing situations. Now he is usually on the field and can atleast run with the tight end now. My not make too many INTs but he has a couple on his resume and im just glad to see he is improving in that area but lets face it. He is here to wreack havoc on RBs and can also punish QBs. He has been a much needed force in this struggling defense.

[/QUOTE]

+1