Brandon Spikes posts another controversial tweet per Boston.com

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Brandon Spikes posts another controversial tweet per Boston.com

It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Brandon. Ba ba ba ba Brandon...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pezz4pats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to pezz4pats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to tanbass' comment:
    [QUOTE]

If he was tweeting during a game maybe....but his views (or jokes) should be his own business. I see no reason to punish him...he did nothing wrong. What ever happened to freedom of speech in this country? No matter who says what, there's always some over-sensative jerk that get's their undies in a wad over it. People need to mind their own business.....Unfortunately since he's a proffessional athlete, the media will try and create a shocking headline out of it. Yawn....

[/QUOTE]

Disagree.  It's because he is a professional athlete that he has an obligation to tote the company line.(in spite of his feelings on any topic).

Although it was funny, I'm sure a lot of people would find it unprofessional and crude.

To be honest, it's not a view I would want my son who loves spikes, to adopt.  It's not any different than  a racial slander or joke.  Not so sure freedom of speach was meant to protect discrimination and hate speech as it does cause harm to whom ever is targeted. 

I'm afraid there may be some backlash over this.  JMHO.

[/QUOTE]

How is this in anyway comparable to a racial slander? Did he make fun of or slander gay people? So a straight person saying that he'd scream if he saw a gay guy in his tub is now the same as a racial slander? You can't be serious. It would have been different if he said it was wrong to be gay but he didn't he stated that he's homophobic (a large number of people are on both sides of the sex) and that he'd scream if he saw someone who was in his tub. If he said at his door something totally different but where you take a bath completely nude? Come on

[/QUOTE]

Because discrination is discrimination.  Doesn't matter if it's about man, women, race, religion or orientation.  Like I said, I thought it was funny, but I can see where a lot of people would be offended.   I just don't see the need for a person of responsibility to go public with those kinds of jokes.  If you haven't noticed (whether right or wrong)  people have been fired for saying as much.  Hope it doesn't bite him and the team in the butt, but it could... and that's not smart..

[/QUOTE]

So let me get this striaght, if a gay guy was in my tub it would be discrimanating if I screamed and called the cops. I should just hop right in otherwise it would be discrimination? A striaght guy saying he'd scream if he saw a gay man in his personal tub in his personal residence is not discrimination in any sense of the word. He didn't say that he wouldn't scream if a straight man was is his tub therefor you don't know if he wouldn't, you are assuming Spikes would be perfectly ok with it which would make it discrimination. I mean really is he discriminating against spiders too? According to your logic he is. I have a friend who is scared of clowns, if a clown was in his tub would he be discriminating if he screamed? Seriously this is silly. He didn't say a single thing to slander gay people at all or say anything anyone would take as being gay is wrong. Him admitting he is a homophobe states that he has this fear and not everyone does therefor if you don't it might not apply to you.

I have to know though, are you gay? Because, I have asked my cousin and a couple of gay friends after seeing this post and they thought it was funny and none of them thought it was slander or discrimatory. One actually said I'd scream if there was a naked women in my shower. If you aren't gay and actual gay people aren't offended then I don't get why you are. If you are gay though and you're offended so be it take is as a joke grow so thicker skin and make a joke back. I'm sure Spikes would laugh it off

[/QUOTE]

Never said I was offended and thought it was funny, although it's not something I want my kids to adopt.   I tell somewhat offensive jokes my self but not to my kids and wouldn't post them by twitter for all to read.  My problem is mostly that he should have known better because the joke does have the potential to offend. ( and apparently has)   Considering every major news station is now at gillette like stink on sh#t, it may become a problem. 

You can b#tch about it all you want but this is a PC world or at least nation. I don't agree with all of it either but the problem is, you can't dissern who it should apply to.  The Merry Christmas thing and the flags in class rooms particulary offend me because I am both a vetran and Catholic and an American, but you have to understand that others may find things offensive too and what right do any of us have to decide who is being sensitive and silly and who is not.  I just think it better to leave jokes like that amongst friends and out of the news when it has potential to do harm or offend.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 15315k. Show 15315k's posts

Pffft it's just a joke.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

If Spikes is fined or suspended for this, couldn't that be considered discrimination against homophobes? Seriously, where does all this nonsense end?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Pezz if everyone was worried about offending anyone then nothing would get done and nothing new would get created. It's up to you as a parent to teach your kids right from wrong it's not up to others to curb their personality for it. If your son saw it then sit down and explain it to them and if you raise them right you shouldn't have to worry about it. Are you going to tell your son not to mention Santa Claus or say Merry Christmas because it might offend someone? I thank you for your service, it is greatly appriciated honestly, and I gladly pay for a beer when I see a man in uniform walk into a bar but really you are telling someone to curb their freedoms that you fought for because it might offend someone? I'm sure the British were offended when tea was dumped into the harbor, I'm sure the south was offended when the northern states wanted to stop slavery, the whole christian world was offended when they were told the world wasn't flat and the earth wasn't the center of the universe (yes I know these are extremes and in no way reflect this situation). Right or wrong someone will always find something offensive and it's your job as a parent to teach your kids right from wrong and if they are taking their ques from an athlete on tweeter then something is wrong. But, after fighting for your country would you ever tell your son to never say what you feel and be a quiet little sheep because you might offend someone by your actions? Of course you wouldn't, you would hope you raised them right and hope they would turn a deaf ear to the wrong and speak from their heart, wouldn't you?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mike-J-D. Show Mike-J-D's posts

Not my humor exactly, but I'm not offended by it either and don't think he should be suspended.  If a white player would have tweeted the same thing, except instead of using the word "homophobe" he used the word "negrophobe", I wonder how that would have gone over.  What if Spikes used the word "caucaphobe" (or whatever for white people)? I suspect there would be a lot of backlash over that...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to antibody's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If Spikes is fined or suspended for this, couldn't that be considered discrimination against homophobes? Seriously, where does all this nonsense end?

[/QUOTE]

I like your thinking here!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking12. Show harleyroadking12's posts

lets see WW makes a joke media runs with it, Spikes makes a joke media runs with it.....is it me or do i see the problem here.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

[QUOTE]

Pezz if everyone was worried about offending anyone then nothing would get done and nothing new would get created. It's up to you as a parent to teach your kids right from wrong it's not up to others to curb their personality for it. If your son saw it then sit down and explain it to them and if you raise them right you shouldn't have to worry about it. Are you going to tell your son not to mention Santa Claus or say Merry Christmas because it might offend someone? I thank you for your service, it is greatly appriciated honestly, and I gladly pay for a beer when I see a man in uniform walk into a bar but really you are telling someone to curb their freedoms that you fought for because it might offend someone? I'm sure the British were offended when tea was dumped into the harbor, I'm sure the south was offended when the northern states wanted to stop slavery, the whole christian world was offended when they were told the world wasn't flat and the earth wasn't the center of the universe (yes I know these are extremes and in no way reflect this situation). Right or wrong someone will always find something offensive and it's your job as a parent to teach your kids right from wrong and if they are taking their ques from an athlete on tweeter then something is wrong. But, after fighting for your country would you ever tell your son to never say what you feel and be a quiet little sheep because you might offend someone by your actions? Of course you wouldn't, you would hope you raised them right and hope they would turn a deaf ear to the wrong and speak from their heart, wouldn't you?

[/QUOTE]

Well said PatsEng.

Plus IMO, there's much more offensive things said about gays  implied or otherwise by some of the people running for poltical office.  Think about it.  

BTW, anybody remember DE  AKA, "The Minister of Defense" Reggie White?   Where were the PC people back then?

Jeesh you can't say anything now days.

On another topic,  I see the Quote after Quote after Quote after Quote is are still being listed as each person replies to a poster.  This is terrible and makes threads not fun to read so I don't read them.  But I'm glad they have been working hard over the last few weeks to correct this and other things.  Not!  :(

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Not going to get into parenting as I just don't have time but I do think people with influence do have a responsibility to keep it neutral.  And yes, everybody has a right to opinion and I will fight for that till the day I die.  Doesn't mean I have to agree with them or you with me. 

I did have the X-mas conversation with both my kids but kids as resiliant as they are, have a hard time understanding that some people don't believe in Christ which is the true message, but find it hard to believe that anyone doesn't want all those gifts and festivities. 

They do have a cousin who is gay and would be the first to say any one who made fun of him is dumb, but what do you do when someone you obviously look up to has a differing opinion, allbeit a joke.  It just creates conflict and misunderstangs and confusionand hurt feelings.

Just think it is better off not said as a matter of responsibility.

Do you think BB is happy he now has to deal with it?  I don't.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

You don't have to make a big deal about it but of course it was discremination.

You all go oh its not discremination because I would scream if a gay guy was in my tub. So you wouldnt scream if some straight guy showed up in your tub????  Curious how would you know if the guy was straight or gay?  Would he be holding up a sign?  or could you just tell he was gay?

I guess its not insulting to be compared to a spider or that being gay is something people should be afraid of.  Yea that's comedy....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to Patsman3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You don't have to make a big deal about it but of course it was discremination.

You all go oh its not discremination because I would scream if a gay guy was in my tub. So you wouldnt scream if some straight guy showed up in your tub????  Curious how would you know if the guy was straight or gay?  Would he be holding up a sign?  or could you just tell he was gay?

I guess its not insulting to be compared to a spider or that being gay is something people should be afraid of.  Yea that's comedy....

[/QUOTE]

I think the gay guy (and yes any other man) would scream if I caught them in my tub, naked . Gone Baby Gone...

It's the sensitivity on political correctness that peees me off.

The other night I watch All in the Family and let me tell you there was no political correctness then and it was beautiful. Now I get it when they sing their opening song and end it with " Those were the days.... "

Hey, I find it hilarious when a black man makes fun of some whites dancing. Viva la différence !

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

much ado about nothing....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ejb222. Show ejb222's posts

PEZZ, I see where you are going with your opinion. But you are wrong in the sense that if you are in the public eye, you should keep things nuetral. I you are in the public eye, you should take the opportunity to stand out and fight for what is right. I dont know that this is the wisest way Spikes could have made his point. But I certainly dont find it offensive. It's not like he's tweeting about drugs, pimps, hoes, etc. But I'm sure it's ok for your kids to listen to that.

This is the society we live in. Gansta rap is the craze and kids rap their womenizing, drug promoting lyrics in school, but a bullying victim gets suspended from school for sticking up for himself. Let me tell you... Spikes didn't say he hates homosexuals, and anyone who wants to think that his comment was an act of discrimination has absolutley NO clue what discrimination is.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

The skin of humanity, especially in this country, has grown thin.  You can't say "boo" without someone, somewhere, claiming it "hurt"!!!! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Good player but needs to grow up a little. Even though he's kidding around he has to remember that everyone can see it and they may not all see it as a joke.  People are becoming too sensitive about this stuff.

That  said , I thought it was pretty funny. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The skin of humanity, especially in this country, has grown thin.  You can't say "boo" without someone, somewhere, claiming it "hurt"!!!! 

[/QUOTE]

Pussification of America....it is what it is!!

I am NOT going to call my Christmas tree a f---ing "holiday tree"

I am not going to say Happy Holidays if I feel like saying Merry Xmas!!

If you don't want your kid saying pledge of alliegence in school...fine, but don;t stop mine from giving respect to the flag and all who fought for it.

Bottom line is that if what I love in this world offends you,  t o u g h S H I T !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"I have nothing against homosexuals or spiders but I’d still scream if I found one in my bathtub!”

LMMFAO!!! In this wonderfully politically correct world we now live in, unless you are fully in support of gay everything, you probably shouldn't talk about it in mixed company, especially with BB as your boss... but that was still pretty dang hilarious!

^ This says it all...  I can't even BEGIN to explain just how much in support of gay-rights and utterly fair consideration & regard that I personally am...IF someone asked me to march as a straight-guy in a gay-rights parade, I'd do so without even blinking...YET-

-This is still hilarious in my eyes...  'Least he's honest here-  In otherwords offering the fair mindset which is saying, "Got not a thing against 'em...But bein' that my greater 'Homosexual knowledge at length/Extensive life-experience within even the least brushes in to the Gay Community', is Nada...Just like Spiders, I'd rather NOT have to deal with the exclammatory situation of comin' home 1 fateful day, in order to confront the situation suddenly and outta the blue with zero backing on the subject in even the least degree..."

Ugh...WhoTF cares?!?!  I'm a fire-breathin' liberal and I'll be til the day I day (nuthin's changed thus far)...And I STILL think that the worst part which has stemmed off of his remarks, wasn't along the insensitive, hateful, & ignorant hillbilly lines by the 1 forwarding them...Nooo- The true annoyance of this 1, lies squarely within the ole' hypocritical, wh#nny, b#tchy, uptight "Overly PC" responses to Spikes' silly loose-hearted & informal not serious blurb that he undoubtedly just unthinkingly chucked out there on a momentary whim.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Maybe what Spikes meant was he would scream if he found a gay spider in his bath tub.  Would this comment cause problem with gay spiders?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Back in College, I once wore a high, pointy, white hat in to this job interview I was goin' for on break...scribbled a few "K's" on the cap, because quite honestly- I thought that this was all the rage for this particular type'a head-gear... 

The interviewer didn't like it though...  So I says ta him, "Well, This IS a bakery, am I right?"  He goes, "Yeaaa, but see- OUR hats are just a tad bit different..."  "Well, Not MUCH different," I said.  "Yea," he ultimately goes, "But in this case, they are minor differences, but very IMPORTANT minor differences..."

Eh, ya live ya learn. 

(Please don't anybody go forwarding this to Mr. Aryan himself, Roger Goodell...don't wanna open up my mailbox to see a 30k fine with his name on it). 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Forget about the tweet, how did he end up using your pic is what I want to know...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Maybe what Spikes meant was he would scream if he found a gay spider in his bath tub.  Would this comment cause problem with gay spiders?

Maybe not to spiders whom happen to be gay, but I believe that there would be outrage to the Gay human community whom also themselves, happen to be Spiders...  Maybe not- maybe it's the other way around...I just really got no clue any longer  8^)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"I have to know though, are you gay? Because, I have asked my cousin and a couple of gay friends after seeing this post and they thought it was funny and none of them thought it was slander or discrimatory. One actually said I'd scream if there was a naked women in my shower. If you aren't gay and actual gay people aren't offended then I don't get why you are. If you are gay though and you're offended so be it take is as a joke grow so thicker skin and make a joke back. I'm sure Spikes would laugh it off."

Funny thing is, when I brought this up to the lone gay guy I'm around on a regular basis right now (buddy in my same Office section), He thought it was hilarious...  Likewise, I'd wager everything that I own, that 1 of my closest personal friends growing up in HS, who came out early on during his/my college years, He'd say the exact same thing.  It should be noted however, that neither of them walk funny, dress in women's clothing, nor talk with a somehow concocted & noticeable lisp...they're gay, just not phony.  So in otherwords, I'm pretty sure that you neither have to be gay in order to take offense to this...just straight, uptight, and preachy. 

Also...I'm not gonna say that I'd be altogether warming & welcoming of any or every woman on earth that I'd somehow happen to find naked in my bathtub (this doesn't make me gay, right?  Because honestly, I ain't changin' "Most" to that unconditionally "Any & Every").

Finally, maybe Spikes is just expressing sincere concern that he doesn't wanna step on & potentially injure a gay person OR a spider...  Spikes is a big dude, he gotta be extra careful & recognizably cautious of such scenarios, Way more than your average joe.   

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

The tweet gets media attention because Spikes tweeted it.  Blown out of proportion?  Not for me to say.  Discrimination?  Dunno.  Hilarious?  Not to me.  Insensitive?  Yeah - pretty much.

The point that how would he know the guy was gay is well taken.  I'm not gay but there's nothing funny about homophobia whether any you care to agree or not.  There have been innocent people beaten to death in this country for the sole reason that they were gay or does that matter?  And if beating someone to death because they were gay wasn't a homophobic act then what was it?  Lighten up?  Sure I'll lighten up when the topic is light.  This isn't. 

Sections
Shortcuts