Brandon Spikes posts another controversial tweet per Boston.com

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Brandon Spikes posts another controversial tweet per Boston.com

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/2012/10/11/brandon-spikes-posts-another-controversial-tweet/JOScFqwoqpmQ6R2dI8px7J/story.html

A tweet from Patriots linebacker Brandon Spikes has stirred up controversy once again.

On Wednesday, Spikes posted a comment about homosexuality.

“I’m homophobic just like I’m arachnophobic. I have nothing against homosexuals or spiders but I’d still scream if I found one in my bathtub!” he wrote.

Many Twitter users criticized him for the post, even after he later tweeted “PEOPLE !!!! It’s a joke … seriously a JOKE !!! Chill out.”

Spikes’s tweets are often vulgar and sensational. During the NFL referees lockout, his Twitter comment comparing replacement officials to Foot Locker employees made national headlines.

Yunel Escobar, a shortstop for the Toronto Blue Jays, was suspended three games in September for writing a slur about homosexuality in Spanish on his eye black during a game against the Red Sox Sept. 15.

-------------------------------

Do you think Spikes will get a suspension due to this?

BTW, Brandon Spikes is using my Capn Crunch picture as his twitter avatar!  LOL!

Brandon Spikes - The Cap’n of Crunch!!
Look out Sunday Peyton Manning!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hang3xc. Show hang3xc's posts

Re: Brandon Spikes posts another controversial tweet per Boston.com

"I have nothing against homosexuals or spiders but Iā€™d still scream if I found one in my bathtub!ā€

LMMFAO!!! In this wonderfully politically correct world we now live in, unless you are fully in support of gay everything, you probably shouldn't talk about it in mixed company, especially with BB as your boss... but that was still pretty dang hilarious!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

If he was tweeting during a game maybe....but his views (or jokes) should be his own business. I see no reason to punish him...he did nothing wrong. What ever happened to freedom of speech in this country? No matter who says what, there's always some over-sensative jerk that get's their undies in a wad over it. People need to mind their own business.....Unfortunately since he's a proffessional athlete, the media will try and create a shocking headline out of it. Yawn....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking12. Show harleyroadking12's posts

lol people need to chill out...he wrote in the context of a joke....com'on man

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I really can't believe people are getting bent out of shape about this. My gay cousin found it funny. He didn't slander gay people and actually said he had nothing against them. It was meant as a joke as I'm sure most straight guys would scream if they saw a naked gay or straight man in their tub too. God I hate this over PC world we live in now a days. It's gotten to the point where if you aren't part of a minority group then you should just sit in a corner and not say anything because you might offend someone even if you didn't mean to, but then of course you'd offend them because they think you aren't talking because you're against that minority. Really it's gotten to that point

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Boston media is very very sensitive and love to play with public opinion.

I look at it as a joke and find it very funny just like his comments on about the replacement refs. Heck ! I think some of the current officials can be compared to Foot Locker employees . 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:
    [QUOTE]

If he was tweeting during a game maybe....but his views (or jokes) should be his own business. I see no reason to punish him...he did nothing wrong. What ever happened to freedom of speech in this country? No matter who says what, there's always some over-sensative jerk that get's their undies in a wad over it. People need to mind their own business.....Unfortunately since he's a proffessional athlete, the media will try and create a shocking headline out of it. Yawn....

[/QUOTE]

Disagree.  It's because he is a professional athlete that he has an obligation to tote the company line.(in spite of his feelings on any topic).

Although it was funny, I'm sure a lot of people would find it unprofessional and crude.

To be honest, it's not a view I would want my son who loves spikes, to adopt.  It's not any different than  a racial slander or joke.  Not so sure freedom of speach was meant to protect discrimination and hate speech as it does cause harm to whom ever is targeted. 

I'm afraid there may be some backlash over this.  JMHO.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

I don't know how he could get a suspension--you mean from the NFL?  Don't think so, I've read a lot worse.  I don't think the NFL  gets involved in tweets- do they?

anyway I really like Spikes--he s edgy and brings a nasty attitude to the defense that is needed.!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

... Really?

I mean... REALLY?

This isn't a slur against homosexuals.  This is a play on language.  "Homophobia" is not a phobia in the classic sense; it denotes hate rather than fear.  Spikes is joking that he's scared of them, in the true meaning of a "phobia."

I mean, c'mon people.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Disagree.  It's because he is a professional athlete that he has an obligation to tote the company line.(in spite of his feelings on any topic).

Although it was funny, I'm sure a lot of people would find it unprofessional and crude.

To be honest, it's not a view I would want my son who loves spikes, to adopt.  It's not any different than  a racial slander or joke.  Not so sure freedom of speach was meant to protect discrimination and hate speech as it does cause harm to whom ever is targeted. 

[/QUOTE]

How is this in anyway comparable to a racial slander? Did he make fun of or slander gay people? So a straight person saying that he'd scream if he saw a gay guy in his tub is now the same as a racial slander? You can't be serious. It would have been different if he said it was wrong to be gay but he didn't he stated that he's homophobic (a large number of people are on both sides of the sex) and that he'd scream if he saw someone who was in his tub. If he said at his door something totally different but where you take a bath completely nude? Come on

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

To all you sensative Sally's out there....relax will ya?!!?? The quote was hysterical! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to LittleTimmy31's comment:
    [QUOTE]

To all you sensative Sally's out there....relax will ya?!!?? The quote was hysterical! 

[/QUOTE]

Please tell Rodger Goodell this.  I'm afraid he is the one who will have a final say over how funny this comment was.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How is this in anyway comparable to a racial slander? Did he make fun of or slander gay people? So a straight person saying that he'd scream if he saw a gay guy in his tub is now the same as a racial slander? You can't be serious. It would have been different if he said it was wrong to be gay but he didn't he stated that he's homophobic (a large number of people are on both sides of the sex) and that he'd scream if he saw someone who was in his tub. If he said at his door something totally different but where you take a bath completely nude? Come on

[/QUOTE]

Because discrination is discrimination.  Doesn't matter if it's about man, women, race, religion or orientation.  Like I said, I thought it was funny, but I can see where a lot of people would be offended.   I just don't see the need for a person of responsibility to go public with those kinds of jokes.  If you haven't noticed (whether right or wrong)  people have been fired for saying as much.  Hope it doesn't bite him and the team in the butt, but it could... and that's not smart..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

[QUOTE]

Because discrination is discrimination.  Doesn't matter if it's about man, women, race, religion or orientation.  Like I said, I thought it was funny, but I can see where a lot of people would be offended.   I just don't see the need for a person of responsibility to go public with those kinds of jokes.  If you haven't noticed (whether right or wrong)  people have been fired for saying as much.  Hope it doesn't bite him and the team in the butt, but it could... and that's not smart..

[/QUOTE]

Saying this is "discrimination" is offensive to anyone who's ACTUALLY been a victim of discrimination.

This is neither discriminatory nor prejudicial.  Simply using the word "homophobia" or "homosexual" does not make a statement or joke bigoted.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

He didn't use any racial slurs. He didn't say he was against gay people. He said he had nothing against them. Homophobia is the fear of homosexuals as the same is true for arachnaophobia is the fear of spiders. Just because you're scared of spiders doesn't mean you hate them. I'm vaguely arachnaphobic but I like spiders because they eat things that I truly DO hate. Damn mosquitos. I have no sympathy for every last one of you little bugers that dies.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to MattC05's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Saying this is "discrimination" is offensive to anyone who's ACTUALLY been a victim of discrimination.

This is neither discriminatory nor prejudicial.  Simply using the word "homophobia" or "homosexual" does not make a statement or joke bigoted.

[/QUOTE]

Everybody's been discriminated against in some shape or form.  Some are more sensative than others.  I just don't think this was a smart move.  The news is all over Gillette as we speak about this subject.  Do they need this crap?  Nope.  He should have known better.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

I totally disagree with Spikes.  I have a huge discrimination against spiders.  I step on them every chance I get!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

I'm offended by political correctness. That s#!t really needs to stop.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

It depends on the circumstances and context with which the tweet was written.

For example, if scripts/comments/statements are made on Saturday Night Live - it's implicit that off-colored comments regarding gender, race, ethnicity, religion, lifestyle, or whatever other senstitive topic people can think of - is a joke.

So, I guess it depends on why Spikes tweeted what he twitted...lol

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Im tired of trying to dumb the conversation down for joe public.  You didn't get the joke?  Tough s*#%.  You're offended?  I don't care.  

Even if something was offensive (and this is quite a stretch), I don't care anymore.  Be offended, live your whole life offended, or learn to get over it.  Why do we have to cater to those that are offended?  Being offended is your problem, not mine.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Is he really using your pic?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So let me get this striaght, if a gay guy was in my tub it would be discrimanating if I screamed and called the cops. I should just hop right in otherwise it would be discrimination? A striaght guy saying he'd scream if he saw a gay man in his personal tub in his personal residence is not discrimination in any sense of the word. He didn't say that he wouldn't scream if a straight man was is his tub therefor you don't know if he wouldn't, you are assuming Spikes would be perfectly ok with it which would make it discrimination. I mean really is he discriminating against spiders too? According to your logic he is. I have a friend who is scared of clowns, if a clown was in his tub would he be discriminating if he screamed? Seriously this is silly. He didn't say a single thing to slander gay people at all or say anything anyone would take as being gay is wrong. Him admitting he is a homophobe states that he has this fear and not everyone does therefor if you don't it might not apply to you.

I have to know though, are you gay? Because, I have asked my cousin and a couple of gay friends after seeing this post and they thought it was funny and none of them thought it was slander or discrimatory. One actually said I'd scream if there was a naked women in my shower. If you aren't gay and actual gay people aren't offended then I don't get why you are. If you are gay though and you're offended so be it take is as a joke grow so thicker skin and make a joke back. I'm sure Spikes would laugh it off

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

I don't really care what he said but I didn't think it was that funny. If thats a joke Brandon needs to try harder lol some of you really think that was 'hilarious'?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So let me get this striaght, if a gay guy was in my tub it would be discrimanating if I screamed and called the cops. I should just hop right in otherwise it would be discrimination? A striaght guy saying he'd scream if he saw a gay man in his personal tub in his personal residence is not discrimination in any sense of the word. He didn't say that he wouldn't scream if a straight man was is his tub therefor you don't know if he wouldn't, you are assuming Spikes would be perfectly ok with it which would make it discrimination. I mean really is he discriminating against spiders too? According to your logic he is. I have a friend who is scared of clowns, if a clown was in his tub would he be discriminating if he screamed? Seriously this is silly. He didn't say a single thing to slander gay people at all or say anything anyone would take as being gay is wrong. Him admitting he is a homophobe states that he has this fear and not everyone does therefor if you don't it might not apply to you.

I have to know though, are you gay? Because, I have asked my cousin and a couple of gay friends after seeing this post and they thought it was funny and none of them thought it was slander or discrimatory. One actually said I'd scream if there was a naked women in my shower. If you aren't gay and actual gay people aren't offended then I don't get why you are. If you are gay though and you're offended so be it take is as a joke grow so thicker skin and make a joke back. I'm sure Spikes would laugh it off

[/QUOTE]

Yes, if you find a guy in your tub and you don't immediately hop in with him than your a homophobe.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to shenanigan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Im tired of trying to dumb the conversation down for joe public.  You didn't get the joke?  Tough s*#%.  You're offended?  I don't care.  

Even if something was offensive (and this is quite a stretch), I don't care anymore.  Be offended, live your whole life offended, or learn to get over it.  Why do we have to cater to those that are offended?  Being offended is your problem, not mine.  

[/QUOTE]

AMEN!!!!!!!! Political Correctness is just another phrase for the pussification of America!!