Brandon Spikes who? Jamie Collins a hidden gem?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Brandon Spikes who? Jamie Collins a hidden gem?

eariler this year, Denver mostly, he looked very good out there. played solid coverage and got a couple pressures on Manning too.

tonight, solid tackling, great coverage (endzone v. Fleener, 3rd down v. Fleener & obviously the INT) and can get at the QB too.

This guy could be the real deal. BB found Spikes replacement in Hightower and has this gem in Collins for nickel D with MAyo

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Re: Brandon Spikes who? Jamie Collins a hidden gem?

bump

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

Spikes is done as a Pats - being tardy for team meeting this past week really irked BB -- the article said BB has had enough of his krap-see ya later-too bad he is a good run stuffer but he will be asking for too much anyway?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I thiknk Hightower can do, as he proved, Spikes' job VERY well. As good as Spikes? Not quite. To be honest, his job isn't that hard. As a LB, play down hill only...very simple. Hightower suddenly looked good.

As for Collins...

1) Nobody tell him he's a rookie, and has apparently sprinted THROUGH the 'rookie wall'.

2) A few weeks ago I was commenting that I LOVED the kid, and am excited to see him in the future. It was obvious he's still raw, and playing off instincts. Well, last night he also showed a lot of intelligence as well. 2 plays in coverage really stood out. The INT obviously, and that was covered on the broadcast. And the coverage he had 30 yards down the sideline on the overthrow. It was mentioned how impressive it was to see him that far down field...but I was further impressed he did was few Patriots MADDENINGLY don't do often enough...he turned, found the ball IN THE AIR, and tried to make a play on it.

I don't think much was hidden to be honest. He was the first guy they took off the board. He's looked good every time he's on the field, and now he is looking even more comfortable. Between Jones and Collins, the Pats may have 2 very young studs to build around.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

Its hard to call a guy that was a 2nd round pick (52 overall) a hidden gem.  Isn't this what high draft picks are suppose to do?  Maybe the surprise is a 2nd round pick of the Pats actually looks good on the field.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

Sexxy will bring him on board with the Jets for next season. See Ya!!!!!

This might be one tough team next year if BB resigns Talib and Mayo, Gronk, and the rest of the walking wounded return.

We found a "Blount Instrument" to offset the passing game along with a two way kicker and a new holder.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

The question is who to we frachise? Blount or Talib  I am leaning toward Talib being that there will be a bigger market for stud CB's than and BB has a pretty solid history drafting or UDFA RB's.  Not so much at the DB position.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

probably should've benched Spikes a while back and give the spot to Collins.

BB has done a great job assembling the defense after all the injuries, especially the rookies who have come in and kept the machine going.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

BB has done a great job assembling the defense after all the injuries, especially the rookies who have come in and kept the machine going.

[/QUOTE]

I don't agree with this. I think, over time, Collins could be heavily exposed as he is NOT yet the disciplined type of player the Pats D needs. 

It being the playoffs, I don't see teams getting enough film on him by the end of the season for it to matter. Had he been on the field a lot more leading UP to this, however, I think he wouldn't look so good. Right now, nobody seems to know what he does poorly. I guarantee there are things, but they are hidden for now. And likely will be for the next game (hopefully 2), then in the offseason, I'd hope for some progression...and he should make a very good full time player next season, builing off what is already a successful postseason for him.

You second point I can't agree with strong enough. BB the gm has been getting raked over the coals...BB the gm made this season possible by having immeasurable depth. ATL had comparable injuries to the same caliber of players...and look what happened to them. Now Dmitroff will look like a genius again since he gets to add, what, the 3rd overall pick to a GOOD team?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't agree with this. I think, over time, Collins could be heavily exposed as he is NOT yet the disciplined type of player the Pats D needs. 

It being the playoffs, I don't see teams getting enough film on him by the end of the season for it to matter. Had he been on the field a lot more leading UP to this, however, I think he wouldn't look so good. Right now, nobody seems to know what he does poorly. I guarantee there are things, but they are hidden for now. And likely will be for the next game (hopefully 2), then in the offseason, I'd hope for some progression...and he should make a very good full time player next season, builing off what is already a successful postseason for him.

You second point I can't agree with strong enough. BB the gm has been getting raked over the coals...BB the gm made this season possible by having immeasurable depth. ATL had comparable injuries to the same caliber of players...and look what happened to them. Now Dmitroff will look like a genius again since he gets to add, what, the 3rd overall pick to a GOOD team?

[/QUOTE]

Spikes is a bust, yeah he played through an injury-great. But Collins has been  what we needed all season long, especially after Mayo went down.

Collins did a great job covering and it showed with his INT.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

He's as versatile a linebacker this team has had in a long time. Last night he was able to cover a TE down the field in man coverage, cover a slot receiver in man coverage, drop in zone coverage, took on a tackle on a sweep held the point of attack and made the tackle for a loss, was physical enough in a short yardage situatation to stuff the middle, had a temendous sack.

Bottom line the kid is athletic and seems to understand his responsibilities. The future seems pretty bright for this kid. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

eariler this year, Denver mostly, he looked very good out there. played solid coverage and got a couple pressures on Manning too.

tonight, solid tackling, great coverage (endzone v. Fleener, 3rd down v. Fleener & obviously the INT) and can get at the QB too.

This guy could be the real deal. BB found Spikes replacement in Hightower and has this gem in Collins for nickel D with MAyo

[/QUOTE]

I don't know if a high round selection like Collins could be considered hidden, but the loss of Spikes and Mayo has given him his moment. 

When was the last time you saw a LBer control a game like that for New England?

The funny thing, he's been devastating against the run, attacking the hole and controlling the second level as good as anyone. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He's as versatile a linebacker this team has had in a long time. Last night he was able to cover a TE down the field in man coverage, cover a slot receiver in man coverage, drop in zone coverage, took on a tackle on a sweep held the point of attack and made the tackle for a loss, was physical enough in a short yardage situatation to stuff the middle, had a temendous sack.

Bottom line the kid is athletic and seems to understand his responsibilities. The future seems pretty bright for this kid. 

[/QUOTE]

Ditto! They used him on Fleener, and he was much more effective than the combination of safeties and Arrington that they used the other half of the time. 

Most of the time, in coverage, he was on Donal Brown (including a PD) and the 1 reception for three yards demonstrates that.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Spikes is a bust, yeah he played through an injury-great. But Collins has been  what we needed all season long, especially after Mayo went down.

Collins did a great job covering and it showed with his INT.

[/QUOTE]

Spikes is not a bust, he's just one-dimensional. Being one of the more feared, more respected run stuffing LBs in the entire league is far from a bust. He's Ted Johnson in a different era.

Collins was a ghost for the first half of the season for a reason. He wasn't ready to be on the field. In a few short weeks, I've seen him turn from a guy relying almost totally on instinct to a player now following very defined responsibilities at times. How he played last night, I feel he simply could not have done a month ago.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerLT. Show RogerLT's posts

Hightower should fill spikes role nicely as a run stuffer in the middle leaving Collins to cover the backs and tight ends.

Collins also seems to have that certain knack for the ball that can produce the game  changing highlight plays that can win big games. If he contiues to improve and listens tohis coaches we could be seeing Tedy Bruschi like plays for years to come!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

It's funny to see a guy wearing a D-lineman number in coverage so far down field.  Great game for Collins.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I think the league is even more demanding than ever of the LB's today, and I am very comfortable next year with Collins as the SAM, Hightower as the MIKE and Mayo as the WILL.

Beating teams like the Colts and Broncos, CHargers is predicated on defensive speed. Thats a very good three some...its what is behind them next year that makes me think they look LB in the draft.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Obviously he's a totally different player than Spikes and honestly I'd have to say Collins is the best linebacker we have - I'd take him over Mayo - Mayo spent four years trying to cover like Collins does as a rookie. I like this kids untapped pass rush potential too...there was a play last night where he closed in on Luck so fast that I couldn't believe my eyes, honestly there is only a handful of players in the NFL that could of closed like that.

He should only get better.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I'm thinking about Collins playing a bit of spy.. running down those mobile QB's from Seattle or San Franicisco.  He looks like he has the speed and size to do it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Awesome game tonight....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think you nailed it man.  I think his ability to cover in the middle of the field is going to be an X factor for us to keep the Colts in check if we do indeed face them during the next round.  I also think that as he continues to grow as a player, we will see him become a disruptive force in the middle of the field.

This certainly takes the sting off of not having Mayo and Spikes in the middle of the field.  This kid is a huge find and I am happy as heck that we have him.  I haven't seen a linebacker cover and turn for the ball as well as he showed in that past game on the Patriots in my days as a fan to date.  Can anyone else remember a linebacker on this team that could cover like he showed yesterday?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Inokea4coolaid. Show Inokea4coolaid's posts

After just  1 fantastic game?  Still unproven player. I give Collins kudos for playing one very good game. He hasn't earned anything yet.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to Inokea4coolaid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

After just  1 fantastic game?  Still unproven player. I give Collins kudos for playing one very good game. He hasn't earned anything yet.

[/QUOTE]

True... but... Nink say's:

"Jamie is an unbelievable talent [and] athlete. The guy can run, he can cover, he's fast and explosive and he can get up and rush," defensive end Rob Ninkovich said. "You see a guy like that and he's one of those guys who has that wow factor. His future in the NFL is very bright."

You have to be excited about his potential.  

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Inokea4coolaid. Show Inokea4coolaid's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:

In response to Inokea4coolaid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pipe down, jealous Bustchise.  Your jealousy is delicious, however.

[/QUOTE]

huh? What's up ur azz? I believe you are confused.