Brandon Spikes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Re: Brandon Spikes

The Pats just held their rookie camp and Spikes looked good.  What does that mean?  It means he looked good in the Pats rookie camp and has potential.  Doesn't mean he's the second coming of Dick Butkus nor does it mean he is a preordained flop.  Let's see how he does going forward.  Yes, I'm optimistic and with reason.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

The minicamp means nothing but it is encouraging to hear about Spikes already taking a leadership role.  All you have to do is watch some Florida games on ESPN Classic to see how good a player he is.  In terms of the 40 time, Ray Lewis ran in the 4.7 plus range.  He turned out all right.  Gary Guyton was the fastest LB in the 08 draft pool.  Stopwatch numbers are overated.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: Brandon Spikes:
    Spikes isn't one of my favorite picks from this draft. Yea, he is a gamer that plays with his soul, but he still ran his forty time slower than Brady did. He'll play weak ILB, and they are mostly responsible for the run, but you and I both know that Peyton Manning is going to pick on him all game. And some of you are being really ridiculous. Our ILBs were weak so teams decided to pass? What? If our ILBs were weak, why didn't teams just run the ball continuously? Stop trying to justify this pick. The NFL is a passing league, a 5.00 running MLB isn't going to cut it against the Petersons, Chris Johnsons, DeAngelo Williams of the league. I'm not surprised the Pats gave him Seau's number (It's actuallly Willie Mac's, but not the point), he'll only play in rushing situations.
    Posted by 49Patriots

Have you watched any tape on this kid or are you basing your entire opinion on his 40 time?  I've watched a lot of tape on the kid and he didn't look slow on film and that was in the SEC which could be the fastest, most athletic conference in America.

Since you appear to be focusing solely on timed drills, did you also know that he has better COD, is quicker in the short area and in and out of his breaks (which are valuable skills in coverage) than both Sean Weatherspoon and Daryl Washington who are supposedly two of the faster LB's in the draft?  All you have to do is compare their 3-cone drills, Spikes ran his in 6.97, while Washington ran his in 7.07 and Weatherspoon 6.99.  Combine his instincts, short area quickness and ball skills (6 career INT's, 4 returned for TD's) and you have a player that projects as a potential 3 down 'backer with the potential to excel in coverage.  I haven't began to talk about his value against the run......

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from timsandra. Show timsandra's posts

In Response to Re: Brandon Spikes:
    Yea, he is a gamer that plays with his soul, but he still ran his forty time slower than Brady did. Posted by 49Patriots

Stop trying to be Chicken Little with the sky is calling crap! Spikes is an awesome pick, and also BE ACCURATE WITH YOUR FACTS! everyone knows Brady ran 5.23 at his rookie combine. Yes he was unofficialy clocked as "low" as 4.99 during his Senior year, like Spikes was unofficially clocked at 4.64 during his senior year. Get your facts straight Chicken Little!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

Jerry Rice ran a 4.7 which is considered slow for elite wide receivers, and I think he turned out alright, as BSll said stopwatch numbers are overrated.  

Sections
Shortcuts