Brandon Spikes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan24-7. Show Patsfan24-7's posts

Brandon Spikes

As of now he is 2nd on the team in tackles. He has come up big against "physical" teams this season, he had 7 tackles and a big interception against the jets, and was credited with 14tackles earlier in the season againt the ravens. He isnt an every down player, but when he is on the field his production kinda leaps off the screen to me. How would you guys grade his performance this season? I think he has been critical to this new movement BB has searched for in the locker room, adding leadership presense and pitbull type of attitude in the middle of the defense that was missing last year. I think his production is being outshined by Aaron Hernandez and Rob Gronkowski along with Devin Mccourtey, but when you sit back and think about it, spikes has also been a home run 2nd round pick for the patriots. great draft.

LB Jerod Mayo -- 157 tackles (95 solo, 62 assisted)
    ILB Brandon Spikes -- 71 tackles (41 solo, 30 assisted)
    S Patrick Chung -- 69 tackles (52 solo, 17 assisted)
    DL Vince Wilfork -- 65 tackles (37 solo, 28 assisted)
    CB Devin McCourty -- 62 tackles (53 solo, 9 assisted)
    S Brandon Meriweather -- 55 tackles (39 solo, 16 assisted)
    S James Sanders -- 53 tackles (36 solo, 17 assisted)
    CB Kyle Arrington -- 51 tackles (38 solo, 13 assisted)
    LB Gary Guyton -- 43 tackles (33 solo, 10 assisted)
    OLB Rob Ninkovich -- 42 tackles (23 solo, 19 assisted)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Re: Brandon Spikes

In Response to Brandon Spikes:
    As of now he is 2nd on the team in tackles. He has come up big against "physical" teams this season, he had 7 tackles and a big interception against the jets, and was credited with 14tackles earlier in the season againt the ravens. He isnt an every down player, but when he is on the field his production kinda leaps off the screen to me. How would you guys grade his performance this season? ...Posted by Patsfan24-7

I think he's been as advertised. Physical, instinctive, learning. He's looked a bit lost on occasion, but that's to be expected in his first year at a difficult position. Getting better.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

At the least he's allowed Mayo to take more chances. Mayo has been a beast this year, leading the NFL in tackles. The two of them will only get better.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

In general, the defensive guys all look much more comfortable, and have been making plays as a result.  One of the irritating things before, during and even after the game was the whole "last place defense" thing.  Obviously, they were better for the last 4 games, and nobody had given them credit for the HUGELY improved play in the last couple of games.  They are getting better, and will be GREAT.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from changes1677. Show changes1677's posts

i still think mccourty is our best player on defense.  Mayo is good but hes just a tackle machine right now not a playmaker.  I never expect him to get an interception and he should have 2 or 3 right now.  I also wouldnt mind him forcing more fumbles. Now Spikes on the other hand seems like hes gonna be that play makin linebacker like bruschi was.  I just have that feeling considering thats the type of player he was at Florida as well.  Cant wait to keep seeing him progress.  Mccourty is still our best defensive player lol which isnt a knock on our team cus hes a rookie.  Hes just that damn good.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Spikes occupies blockers so that Mayo can make tackles all over the field in addition to making some good tackles on his own. Last year the Pats D seem to struggle with tackles in the open field; this year has not been a problem at all, especially recently. I thought his INT against the Jets was(dare I say it) Bruschi-esque. This was very good draft. Let's hope all these guys continue to improve and let's have another great draft class in 2011.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I thought Sanders, Mayo, and Merriweather played terrible the first two weeks of the season. Sanders looked like he was done to me; just a guy struggling to run around with world class athletes and I thought it was a shame because he was always a dependable player. It's nice to see that he has turned it around (maybe he was injurred)? Mayo has come on strong and was always explosive, it's just that to me he doesn't make enough plays in the backfield, blitz well or cover. He is a tackling machine and when a guy catches the ball in front of him, his speed and explosiveness keep the guy from getting the first down. Merriweather is just not very good and I'd like to see Page more and probably will now that he's healthier. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I want to see Cunningham added to your list.  In one NFL rookie of the year list he's listed as "in the mix" (about #12 on their list).

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2010/12/03/the-race-for-rookie-of-the-year-its-an-nfc-west-thing/

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bspikes55. Show Bspikes55's posts

In Response to Re: Brandon Spikes:
    i still think mccourty is our best player on defense.  Mayo is good but hes just a tackle machine right now not a playmaker.  I never expect him to get an interception and he should have 2 or 3 right now.  I also wouldnt mind him forcing more fumbles. Now Spikes on the other hand seems like hes gonna be that play makin linebacker like bruschi was.  I just have that feeling considering thats the type of player he was at Florida as well.  Cant wait to keep seeing him progress.  Mccourty is still our best defensive player lol which isnt a knock on our team cus hes a rookie.  Hes just that damn good.
    Posted by changes1677

Wilfork and mayo are our two best players on d mccourty is 3rd also both our safties have been playing exelent of late

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

he looks to have some of that Ted Johnson go get it in him, if I dare bring up the original Pats thumper.  Let's see if he can continue to progress in diagnosing plays, he clearly has a nose for the ball and looks much better than Mayo blitzing up the middle (not saying he's a better player, he's not)

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

plain and simple: HES A BEAST

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

Wasn't Steve Nelson the original 'thumper'?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

Last year it felt like the line backers were exploited in the short range passing game and that isn't the case this year. You see these guys making plays on the ball and staying with their assignments better in the short range game. That's been the big difference over last year. Having the middle linebackers on the field was a passing liability on 1st down last year which was the root of many of their problems. This year they have been outstanding in that category. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

Wasn't Steve Nelson the original 'thumper'?

Have to agree with that. Would you like to buy a vowel?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

I wish Spikes had got to be around when Seau was with the team. I would like to see Brandon knife into the backfield the way Seau could. Wilfork is on a whole new level this year. Proof that big contracts don't always slow players down. Devin McCourty !!! Maybe we should Call him D Mac.  Who knew special teams player meant rookie stud? Wilhite has even held his own when healthy. Butler is on the rebound. Arrington like him or not is holding a starting spot for a reason. I have to say I like what Page brings to the field also. Wright,Deaderick,Brace, and Pryor have played pretty well in the their roles also. Dang I left out Chung. I can't believe I did that. On the slot WR is not his role yet, But let him play off and come down hill. He turns into a whole new animal. Cunningham has showed flashes of progress. Then comes Meriweather. If he would just read keys a little faster. He could be huge I think. I think we have the corners to let him read QB's and just play the ball. If he would focus on INT's and leave the big no arm hits at home. He would not be in the PRO-BOWL by default.

Come to think of it. Why are we 31st on D? Oh ya THEIR YOUNG.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Don't look now, but NE is close to featuring the best MLB, CB, Safety and possibly DE or OLB duos in the AFC heading into 2011.

That's  not meant to be a homer comment either. Spikes is a rookie. McCourty is a rookie.  Cunningham is a rookie. Chung is in his second year.

If NE drafts a DE or OLB like a RYan Kerrigan from Purdue, that's one more slot upgraded with youg talent.

We know the story.   It's pretty scary to think about especially if you hate the Pats and are jealous.

Spikes has the instincts.  That's what I like about him. It's impressive to come in and look the part in a complex 3-4 D like that.

Sections
Shortcuts