Brandon Spikes!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan24-7. Show Patsfan24-7's posts

Brandon Spikes!

On sportscenter today, Mel Kiper said the All American middle linebacker from florida Brandon Spikes is projected to be a late 1st round to early 2nd round pick. The patriots have 3 second round picks and usualy pick late in the 1st round. If Brandon Spikes is there... should we pick him?

Hes an incredible athlete, not only does he look like he can thrive playing downhill in the 3-4 but he also has displayed solid pass rushing skills on the edge in 3rd and long situations. In the SEC championship game last year he applied pressure by repeadtedly beating Andre Smith, who was at that point the best offensive lineman in the country.

Bill Belichick is at his best when he has good depth at linebacker. Using 3 man rotations at inside and outside linebacker in the past. Inside linebacker Tedy Bruschi and Ted Johnson, with Roman Phipher also subbing in. At outside linebacker he had Vrabel, Mcginnest, and Colvin at his disposal. Adding Spikes to the Jerod mayo and Gary Guyton duo would solidify the inside for years to come.

I know our main defensive problem is rushing the passer, but picking up Spikes will add depth at inside linebacker AND on 3rd downs would also add pressure on quarterbacks. Tyrone Mckenzie would contribute on special teams, While Mayo, guyton and spikes get most of the snaps.

your thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: Brandon Spikes!

He also has decent ball skils with 5 career picks, returning 3 for TD's, so he should be a 3 down LB at the next level.  Personally I think LB is a need, their current core has only 2 guys that should see the field on a regular basis next year, Mayo and Guyton.  Seau may provide some value for a portion of the season, but isn't a long term/full time solution.  McKenzie is expected to be recovered and hopefully 100% so that should add a boost, they were high on him coming into camp before his injury. With that being said, I'd much rather have Mayo/Guyton/Spikes/McKenzie than Mayo/Guyton/Seau/Alexander, so if he's available when they pick at the end of the 1st, top of round 2 and they have him valued highly on their board, I say they pull the trigger.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I can't believe Spikes would be there in the late 1st round.  He's a top 15 easy.

One thing about Kiper is his early stuff is usually off base and this is one of them.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

He may have the talent to be top 15 but history shows that ILB tend to fall in the draft. I would love to see Spikes suit up for the Pats next year and he is so well rounded as he covers really well and on a lot of third downs this year the gators line him up on the edge but he is a raw pass rusher. I think with Mayo and Spikes controlling the middle it would have to be the fastest ILB core in the NFL but it's not like the raiders where they just have speed, both of these guys have football talent. I hope that Spikes falls in the draft even if he may be a little dirty

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 617AcrossDaBoard. Show 617AcrossDaBoard's posts

I absolutely love Spikes on the Pats and dream of the day he & Mayo team up... He's not the "Athlete" some thinks he is but he is definitely the "Player". With Mayo & Spikes combined u easily have the youngest and strongest 3-4 ILB corps in the league..... With that in mind he'll be available & we'll pass like Rey Rey from USC...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

I hope the Pats get him and use him to gouge the eyes of Eli, Peyton, and Joey Porter.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 617AcrossDaBoard. Show 617AcrossDaBoard's posts

Lol.. if only we could send a LB after a LB... That ah be sweet!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

Line Spikes up at FB or TE and take that punk out and stick his thumb through the punks facemask.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

I think it is way way way too early to be having draft conversations. The offseason is long and boring lets save this conversation for when we dont have football to talk about. Also I really like Tyrone McKenzie and dont think we need to draft another inside back as I think he will come on next year and show people why we drafted him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasonh86. Show jasonh86's posts

I would love to see Spikes in a Pats uniform.  I think that would be one of (if not THE) best young ILB groups in the NFL if it were Mayo, Spikes, and Guyton. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

Good point killa, we're using up all our off season topics.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: Brandon Spikes!:
    I think it is way way way too early to be having draft conversations. The offseason is long and boring lets save this conversation for when we dont have football to talk about. Also I really like Tyrone McKenzie and dont think we need to draft another inside back as I think he will come on next year and show people why we drafted him.
    Posted by MVPKilla2009

I thought McKenzie played outside

I see him as the Patriots' version of Leon Powe or DeJuan Blair.  They know how to play ball in a pro system at a pro level, but they have histories of knee injuries and you know that their injury risk is higher.

I hope McKenzie can recover, then show signs that he can stay healthy and contribute.  Then the Patriots could use the pick on another position that would have a more significant effect on the quality of their team.  I think Spikes would be an improvement, but I think Guyton is more than serviceable at MLB and can also play OLB.  If McKenzie could also contribute, then Spikes would be somewhat redundant, although if he fell that far, he might be worth it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

If you think it's too early for draft talk, then don't read a draft thread........

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Assuming we have the 32nd pick in the NFL draft, the New England Patriots select Eric Norwood, OLB, SC.

We have Mayo, Guyton, & McKenzie on the inside, all we have on the outside is Thomas and IR-man Shawn Crable. We need more help on the outside.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan24-7. Show Patsfan24-7's posts

In Response to Re: Brandon Spikes!:
      If you think it's too early for draft talk, then don't read a draft thread........
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

lol thanks.

some people are just dumb.

Sections
Shortcuts