Brandon Tate, how good is he?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Re: Brandon Tate, how good is he?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAqZvEm1eLw

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Here's more:

He seems to have good YAC skills

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Either he has two good knees and he's going to be catching touchdowns regularly, or else he doesn't have two good knees and he's going to retire early.  I'd say his chances are about the same as Welker at this point, but his health is more of a sure thing than Shawn Crable's.  Tate seems to be well worth a third round gamble for a shot at first round talent.

I heard that he hurt his other knee last year.  That's a slightly better sign than hurting the same knee twice.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

I hear he's a good returner.  I just hope a year of injuries doesn't mess up his sense for the flow of the game.

I think he'll be on the bubble by sheer virtue of the depth at receiver.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

I fell bad for him, never even got the chance. I was really excited bout him too but the draft of two tight ends and price signed for 4 years and holt coming in, he might not get a decent chance? Esp if welker comes in quickly.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

~At the time (and ya'all know me as a psycho Draft-Nut), I was pretty ticked about Belichick & NE makin' a multi-rd reach for Tate:  Originally wanted Hakeem Nicks, THEN Mohamed Massoqui, THEN Mike Wallace (or was it Mike Thomas...The one that The Steel got, not the short one that The Jags selected), THEN Austin Collie, and FINALLY Johnny Knox (sort of-last resort). 

LOVED Hakeem Nicks, As I'd Like my #2 Possession wideout to be @ 6'1-6'3 and @ 210lbs or so, So he has enough size to go over the middle and take a crunching hit, And even though I think Nicks was only 6'0-6'1, He WAS @ 210lbs or so, BUT everything they said was all about Nicks's routes and how absolutely perfect he ran them, and his great hands...Unfortunately Nicks was selected At the end of Rd 1, @ a Round higher than he was projected to go, So I understand missin' out on him in terms of a getting another pick (or even two).
         Massoquio, In all honesty-I don't even know how he did this year.  But man, PERFECT size with all the other Tangibles (had excellent character too I think).  Still, Selected higher than HIS projected spot, So I'm thinkin'-alright, that's o.k. too.
         Mike Wallace had about Brandon Tate's listed size I believe, but a bit more weight to him.  This guy flew under the radar, but imho- HE had zero big flaws in his overall skill-set (and was a return guy too).  And I saw a couple Steele games, and this kid CAN play (not sure of his total stats either however).
         Austin Collie- He was on my list, but in NO way did I think he'd be that nasty as a Rookie.  Natural WR, but BYU wideout?...c'mon.  Sure, He was an All-American who lead ALL of College in yards, but BYU people!??
         Johnny Knox was the same way I felt @ Collie...I KNOW we ain't gettin the top-tier guys in most probability by our selection spot (Heyward-Bey, Crabtree, 1 or two others...although Percy Harvin hurt, BUT I was pretty biased towards U of Fla WRs after Chad Jackson mess)...  But again, I'm thinkin' IF we don't get another pretty decent wideout weapon, namely-Nicks, Massaquio, &/or Wallace, We BETTER at least get Knox or Collie....

And then, THERE comes Brandon Tate...a guy I hadn't even given a second thought towards...With his smaller size and the other 90%=Because his knee.

~STILL, In the end- The more I watch of this kid's gametaps, The more I'm sorta comin' around on him...  Honestly, I could care less about Punt/Kick Returns (although 1 day Welker's gonna die returning a meaningless punt)- YET, I DO see som massive potential from Tate when I wach him-

It ain't him having completely knee-breaking moves OR even him having great speed...But It IS a ton of little things added together:

-Decent enough Speed
    -Decent enough Cutting
    -Decent enough Routes
    And/BUT Combined with....
    ~Fantastic Hands
    ~Fantastic (and I mean UNreal) Balance and/or Tackle Breaking for a wideout
    ~Fantastic Body Adjustments (see-Body lean, Frame Extension)
    ~Fantastic Decision Making With the Ball (field awareness of Defensive Players placement, split second moving towards the open-field)
    ~Fantastic Decision Making WithOUT the Ball (awareness & movement towards open zone bubbles and/or defensive sft spots, AND coming back to the QB as the play develops)
    ...Overall, seemingly great Football IQ and Natural Instincts

So alright, I'm NOW under the notion that maybe, just mayyybe, Brandon tate ain't Totally Cr#ppy (that's the best you're gonna get outta me presently).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

In Response to Re: Brandon Tate, how good is he?:
    ~ At the time.....

Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium

thank you for your deep analysis, I think he will get a chance cauz the tight ends are only 21 year olds and mostly will be used for blocking (hoping this isn't the case) but yhea so xcited about the offensive potential.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

This guy is pretty much a lock to say hes on the bubble and hes slotted to start by the coaches is pretty comical. 

I saw alot of him junior year but his senior year not really. There use to be clips of his senior year and they were taken down. He tweaked his original knee they operated on they cleaned stuff up and now hes looking like a beast.

This guy really holds the key to the Pats going far this year. Hes basically Hakeem Nicks without the hype.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Also this is a guy who was said to have the offense down pat when he came off the PUP list, trusted enough to be thrown into the wolves in the game against the Bucs, and then Brady comes out this year multiple times saying he likes Tate alot. 

Somethings there

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Also this is a guy who was said to have the offense down pat when he came off the PUP list, trusted enough to be thrown into the wolves in the game against the Bucs, and then Brady comes out this year multiple times saying he likes Tate alot.  Somethings there
    Posted by Pancakespwn

I reserve judgment of Tate until the season starts (or at least the preseason)

All I have to say is this:
    -> Randy Moss & Wes Welker are locks
    -> So is Julian Edelman
    -> That Torry Holt character hasn't had a shabby career, either.  He's a tremendous route runner and, by any account I can find a classy, human being.
    -> Aiken is a special teams captain and you have to watch game footage of him forcing the returner to commit to a direction and understand the importance of getting the returner to pick a direction to appreciate his work.  Same goes for Slater.  Out of the two, you probably keep one special teams star.  So one spot will go to Slater or Aiken.

Where does that leave Tate?  On the bubble.

I wouldn't read too far into what Brady says about offseason work.  I wouldn't put it past them to pump up a guy to see how he handles the expectations.

And I'm not sure where you read that Tate was already penciled in as a starter, but I'm going to assume that the X/Z-wideout spot opposite Moss (Welker is the SLOT  Y-receiver) is up for grabs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

Should be a much welcomed addition to kick offs if he stays healthy...i don't know about you guys but I hate seeing Maroney back there...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Takashi-Toshiro. Show Takashi-Toshiro's posts

Should be a much welcomed addition to kick offs if he stays healthy...i don't know about you guys but I hate seeing Maroney back there...
    Posted by mannyortez3424

I wish the Pats picked up Thomas Jones. Maroney will be used for whatever he can give in his contract year this season. Hopefully they can get something out of him before they hold the door open for him after the season ends.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

Whoa! Lets not put Tate in this position just yet. He really didnt do ANYTHING at Carolina. His numbers were quite pedestrian BEFORE his injury. Potential? Yes. Production? No. To say he was a first round draft choice pre injury IMO is nut true.
    If Tate doesn't improve his route running and is not where he is supposed to be on the field, Brady will lose confidence in him a la Galloway. Tate does not have the elite speed to go down field, he needs to improve his route running. Did anyone attend OTA and see the coaches spending so much time with him on route running?
    We read that Brady "made" the Reche Caldwell's and Jabar Gaffneys when they were on the team. The thing about those guys is that they were ALWAYS where they were supposed to be, and Brady knew it.
    From what I can see, Tate is still a major work in progress and is not a lock to to on the game day 45 man roster week in and week out unless it is on special teams. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Tate's numbers were pedestrian before his injury? Are you talking about his numbers as a WR or combined WR/KR/PR?...if the latter, he only led the ACC with 1,765 all purpose yards in 2007. That was the last full year before he got hurt. Even missing 8 games his senior season, he still holds the NCAA record for combined kick return yards. 
    I would say as a KR/PR, he is top notch and proven. If he is healthy, he should be the main guy to both field KR and PR. The WR portion of the equation is a big ? ....He only started to get significant playing time as WR his junior year. 
    Tate doesn't have exceptional speed, but he has great balance, good hands and looks pretty strong. A nice compliment to Moss and Welker I would think. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

Overall, seemingly great Football IQ and Natural Instincts So alright, I'm NOW under the notion that maybe, just mayyybe, Brandon tate ain't Totally Cr#ppy (that's the best you're gonna get outta me presently).
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

Duuuuuude! Cut down to this and pleease keep it short ! :)

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

In Response to Re: Brandon Tate, how good is he? : Overall, seemingly great Football IQ and Natural Instincts So alright, I'm NOW under the notion that maybe, just mayyybe, Brandon tate ain't Totally Cr#ppy (that's the best you're gonna get outta me presently). Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium
    Duuuuuude! Cut down to this and pleease keep it short ! :)
    Posted by gmbill[/QUOTE]

Don't listent to em Laz. Keep the consciousness streaming. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

In Response to Re: Brandon Tate, how good is he? : Don't forget he played on the other side of the field from Nicks, and was largely responsible for the single coverage he received as a result. Tate is pretty good as a receiver, and will make the team...he's a lot less on the bubble as many here think.
    Posted by jfaust1954

you mean like how he could benefit from moss drawing the double coverage?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

Between Tate and Price, I see Price being the more vertical deep threat option and Tate the short distance guy.  Tate isn't as polished a route runner, at least not yet( Torry Holt's mentoring could be huge in this area ), but he could be deadly on quick outs and those smoke screens the Pats love to use.  If Tate shows reliable hands this preseason and developes a comfort level with Brady, then I think his role expands as the season goes on.  Ideally, I think BB would like to bring this guy along slow and eventually have him be a #2 WR. 

As far as his upside, I think he's got a ton of potential.  Think Deion Branch with a bigger wingspan.  Only time will tell if he's got that kind of game. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from koft. Show koft's posts

In Response to Brandon Tate, how good is he?:
     while everyone talking about how good edelmann can/will be, and the lowdown on taylor price, who could become our own version of austin miles sooner rather than later, what about the the other guy in all of this, who would have been drafted like a DEZ Bryant, with all the hoopla, if not for his own acl/mcl issues. in other words, BB drafted this kid who would have gone in the 1st round if not for injury. well, like tom brady, tate has had time to heal. he was brought back last season, and presto, he hurts that knee again. and that was that. with all the great young talent at wide-out, are we overlooking brandon this time around? is he feeling like his old self? does anyone know? if so, then he should be considered a notch above even the gifted price. i have the feeling, and training camp and beyond will prove me right or wrong, but my gut tells me that he is fine, and ready to take some giant steps this season, while learning at the feet of the master, i.e. randy moss, whose shoes he will be filling beginning in 2011. anyway, i`d like to believe, but is tate someone to have high hopes for, or is he damaged goods?
    Posted by koft

GEE koft, who besides you would have thought? percy harvin anyone? who cares, we got brandon tate.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

slow down. the guy did not have great receiving stats at UNC (he did have great return stats). the knock on the guy is his route running, and everyone knows that if you are not where you are supposed to be, when you are supposed to be there, Brady doesn't get you the ball.
    I would have liked to have seen more balls thrown his way during preseason. it seems most plays were run "for him" (think WR screen) rather than Tate getting the ball thrown to him with in the frame work of the offense.
    I am intrigued, but not yet sold.
    I dont think Price makes the 53 man roster assuming 3 TE's and an extra DB and extra OLB.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DBCoach. Show DBCoach's posts

Football is the ultimate team sport... so players are as good as them team and players around them.  The reason receivers come here and look good is because they have Brady throwing protected by a decent O-Line..  as Good as Brady is put him on the 1-16 Lions and he will look avg at best..

Watch Wilfork... this year he will turn into a fat NT  not because he is not as good as in the past but because he has no one around him this year... no Semour or Warren and the Rush LB's from a few years back..

The Pats have replaced the SB Talent on OFF but not on the Defense belicheick tye Genius will not be able to scheme a top 10 Def with those players  and since Off sells Tix and Defense wins Championships do not count on a SB this year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

With Tom Brady - sky's the limit!  We need him big time this year and I want them to prove me wrong by not signing a big name in the offseason.  I sure hope they are right on Tate and I'll be first one to say I was wrong when I wanted them to sign say a guy like A. Boldin a few months back. 

GO PATS! 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

at UNC soph year he caught 5 balls. jr year he caught 25 balls. sr year he played 5 games and caught 16 balls.
    not enough production to assume he will be a good player in the nfl.
    I agree, if he cleans up his routes and has Brady's confidence, he will get the ball. will say it again, wish I had seen more of it during the pre season games.
    I did watch him specifically at practice, and he wasn't "in the dog house" with the coaches, but they DEFINATELY gave him an ear full about his not running the routes correctly numerous times that I was witness to.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

I hear he's a good returner.  I just hope a year of injuries doesn't mess up his sense for the flow of the game. I think he'll be on the bubble by sheer virtue of the depth at receiver.
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188
    On the BUBBLE. Are you sure about that. He will be starting Opposite Moss this Year with Welker in the Slot.

Sections
Shortcuts