Brandon Tate

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DuncanOrange. Show DuncanOrange's posts

Brandon Tate

2010 stats.  24 catches.  432 yards.  27 yards per catch.  3 TDs. 

I thought he was pretty impressive for young player last season.  If he keeps developing, he can what Dante Stallworth was for the 2007 offense.  Just a speed nightmare for defenses.   We don't need Tate to catch a ton of balls, that will be Chad Johnson, Welker, Gronkowski, and Hernandez's job.  We just need for him to keep up that insane yards per catch average.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Re: Brandon Tate

Price has looked good during training camp so far....Big season for Tate to prove himself.  He had a pretty good year last year...But I think this is a make it or break year for him!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmot1234. Show tmot1234's posts

In Response to Re: Brandon Tate:
    Price has looked good during training camp so far....Big season for Tate to prove himself.  He had a pretty good year last year...But I think this is a make it or break year for him!
    Posted by Rocky

What have you heard about Price? Would be nice to see him make some strides this year as well as Tate.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In Response to Brandon Tate:
    2010 stats.  24 catches.  432 yards.  27 yards per catch.  3 TDs.  I thought he was pretty impressive for young player last season.  If he keeps developing, he can what Dante Stallworth was for the 2007 offense.  Just a speed nightmare for defenses.   We don't need Tate to catch a ton of balls, that will be Chad Johnson, Welker, Gronkowski, and Hernandez's job.  We just need for him to keep up that insane yards per catch average.   
    Posted by DuncanOrange

Seems like great numbers for a number 3/4 receiver.  He is going to the take some of the snaps for Branch at some point during the season.  He just needs to keep learning and developing better hands.  This being his 'real' second season I am sure we see some development and keep bringing Price on slowly.   I am more than comfortabole at the WR position with Chad in town. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

mike reiss had an article (which i cant find)  on brady's completion percentage to each receiver.

brady's completion percentage to tate was much worse than it was to others

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Michael02127. Show Michael02127's posts

the problem is Tate got worse as the season went on.  Towards the end Brady hardly throw to him and clearly didn't trust him.  It would be nice to see him improve as we drafted him high and he has huge potential but not a need right now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

The thing I don't get is that his speed gets mentioned all the time, he runs in the 4.5 range. Slow? No, but were not talking elite 4.3 speed here...which Price supposedly has. Maybe he improves a bunch, but I was not impressed with his game as a reciever last year and he slowed down as a returner as the year went on. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

He sucked and 432 yards on 24 catches is not 27 yards per. He averaged less than 2 catches a game with teams not even scheming to stop him at all.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

I completely agree with you on Tate's speed. He has been timed at 4.52  People act like he's Usain Bolt! The guy has average speed at best. I know the guy tore his ACL in college, so I don't know when he was timed, but it said he ran a 4.52 at his pro day. He may have been timed coming off injury. But I don't think Tate is near as fast as Price. I hope Taylor Price can step up this year because I don't have much faith in Tate.
    The thing I don't get is that his speed gets mentioned all the time, he runs in the 4.5 range. Slow? No, but were not talking elite 4.3 speed here...which Price supposedly has. Maybe he improves a bunch, but I was not impressed with his game as a reciever last year and he slowed down as a returner as the year went on. 
    Posted by mthurl

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Tyree Barnes will get a long look at WR BB loves guysn nwho understand committment,Eric Kettani will get along look also.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Burress' 2008 stats.  35 catches for 454 yards and 4 TD's, 15.5 average.  So pretty much the same.

Tate looks fast to me, looks like one of the fastest guys on the football field.  I really wouldn't get concerned about his 40 yard time on a track with cleats.  He's football fast.  He was blowing people away with his kickoff returns.  He improved the Pats return game 100% and gave them good field position (and 2 TD's).  He's one of the best return men in the NFL right now.  Even if that's all he ever is, that's pretty good.

Only about 10 guys scored on Kickoff returns last year, and only 5 did it more than once. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

He sucked and 432 yards on 24 catches is not 27 yards per. He averaged less than 2 catches a game with teams not even scheming to stop him at all.
    Posted by tompenny

I was going to mention this but you nailed it. He averaged 18 a catch and 27 per GAME. He had 1.5 catches per game.

Yeah, he sucked. Looks like a 3rd rounder bust as a WR. If he wasn't we wouldn't have gotten 85.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

He wasn't impressive at all. He dropped passes and could not get open. He's going to have a tough time making the team. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

I really get frustrated & confused about all the hate Tate gets...the kid is comming into his true 2nd year off 2 injuries to his knees....He is a quality reciever that just needs to get his confidence back....I'm very happy he's on the Pats & expect him to be a solid contributor.....cut the guy some slack!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I really get frustrated & confused about all the hate Tate gets...the kid is comming into his true 2nd year off 2 injuries to his knees....He is a quality reciever that just needs to get his confidence back....I'm very happy he's on the Pats & expect him to be a solid contributor.....cut the guy some slack!!!
    Posted by dmcpatsfan

DMC, step away from the kool-aide man. He sucks. You can't spin it into something else. He has barely done more than Chad Jackson did. He. Sucks.

Maybe he will dazzle us all with a miracle, but so far he is stinking the place out.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

He wasn't impressive at all. He dropped passes and could not get open. He's going to have a tough time making the team. 
    Posted by Macrawn

He will make the team if not for his special teams. He has no pressure now except battling Price for reps so he just needs to learn get better and hope to be a number 2 a year or 2 from now.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Tate has run sub 4.4 forty times, I don't know where you guys are getting your numbers but the grades on Madden are usually pretty accurate.  I haven't given up on him yet, he can return kicks for sure and he has to become a solid route runner but that can be learned.  Maybe Troy Brown knows something we don't, maybe the kid isn't bright enough to figure it out, if that's the case Price who is even faster and bigger will beat him out eventually...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Tate showed flaws last season that are hard to correct.

He overruns and underruns routes. He rounds out routes. He struggles in the stem. He has trouble securing (even some easy) catches.

He was a great KR man. He can stay on the team for his gift of running in the open field. As a fifth WR/KR he has great value. To me, that alone is worth a 3rd rounder.

In year three (spare me the injury bit .. I know) the light at the end of the tunnel afor him as a #1 or #2 WR is tiny, dim, and flickering.

Anyone who thought he looked promising as a WR last season is thinking wishfully. Outside of a blatantly blown coverage and a circus catch he wasn't impressive at all. Even Troy Brown said in that recent WEEI video that the kid doesn't have what it takes. Too many flaws to correct.

In short, he looked like a KR trying to play WR.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I neither love nor 'hate' Tate nor would I be elated if he made the team nor be grief-stricken if he were cut.  I saw some good things from the kid last year, in fact I saw him make some very difficult catches.  Conversely, I saw him drop some balls that should be routine for any NFL receiver. 

What I see is the potential for him to be a good, perhaps very good, wide receiver.  He does have route running issues but I think those can be corrected.  With respect to his speed, I saw a very fast returner but someone who perhaps was not totally confident in his route running which probably impacted his ability to get open.  \

My humble 2 cents (after the budget deal).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Michael02127. Show Michael02127's posts

Tate showed flaws last season that are hard to correct. He overruns and underruns routes. He rounds out routes. He struggles in the stem. He has trouble securing (even some easy) catches. He was a great KR man. He can stay on the team for his gift of running in the open field. As a fifth WR/KR he has great value. To me, that alone is worth a 3rd rounder. In year three (spare me the injury bit .. I know) the light at the end of the tunnel afor him as a #1 or #2 WR is tiny, dim, and flickering. Anyone who thought he looked promising as a WR last season is thinking wishfully. Outside of a blatantly blown coverage and a circus catch he wasn't impressive at all. Even Troy Brown said in that recent WEEI video that the kid doesn't have what it takes. Too many flaws to correct. In short, he looked like a KR trying to play WR.
    Posted by zbellino

I agree about his KR capabilities,  but I wouldn't make him a lock for the roster if Price & Edleman have great camps and Matt Slatter top 1 or 2 specials teams ace.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Tate showed flaws last season that are hard to correct. He overruns and underruns routes. He rounds out routes. He struggles in the stem. He has trouble securing (even some easy) catches. He was a great KR man. He can stay on the team for his gift of running in the open field. As a fifth WR/KR he has great value. To me, that alone is worth a 3rd rounder. In year three (spare me the injury bit .. I know) the light at the end of the tunnel afor him as a #1 or #2 WR is tiny, dim, and flickering. Anyone who thought he looked promising as a WR last season is thinking wishfully. Outside of a blatantly blown coverage and a circus catch he wasn't impressive at all. Even Troy Brown said in that recent WEEI video that the kid doesn't have what it takes. Too many flaws to correct. In short, he looked like a KR trying to play WR.
    Posted by zbellino

Trot Brown said that? Wow.

Not sure I'd call him a great returner, towards the end he looked lost (perhaps just worn out).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Tate seems to have the "it" factor with the ball in his hands.  Problem is getting the ball in his hands as WR.  There are only so many end arounds or reverses that you can run in a season.  He is shifty and elusive, and as others mention, he has football speed and an extra gear to separate from defenders.  I do agree that as a route runner he seems to lack the football IQ necessary to thrive in this system.  He is not a tactician.  Maybe they should try to use him more on WR screens and quick slants and let him try to be a YAC type of WR rather than a deep threat.     

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hingen. Show hingen's posts

Tate seems to have the "it" factor with the ball in his hands.  Problem is getting the ball in his hands as WR.  There are only so many end arounds or reverses that you can run in a season.  He is shifty and elusive, and as others mention, he has football speed and an extra gear to separate from defenders.  I do agree that as a route runner he seems to lack the football IQ necessary to thrive in this system.  He is not a tactician.  Maybe they should try to use him more on WR screens and quick slants and let him try to be a YAC type of WR rather than a deep threat.     
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn

Completely agree here.  Hopefully, we'll get two fifth rounders for him like we get for Ellis H.  Both are good kick returner.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Posted by Rocky

Yeah, I'm looking forward to see what Price can do.  It would be nice if Tate could contribute more as well.  All last season he did not appear to be a hot read but more of an after thought witness his longest play from scrimage was a busted play that went for about a 65 yard TD, othewise......

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZigZig. Show ZigZig's posts

He STINKS so far. If he doesen't double his numbers, he can kiss his azz goodbye.

Sections
Shortcuts