Brandon Tate

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DuncanOrange. Show DuncanOrange's posts

Re: Brandon Tate

Tate will earn a spot on this roster on his kickoff ability alone. 

This is how our WR spot is looking.

1.  Chad Johnson - starting WR no doubt.

2.  Wes Welker

3.  Deion Branch -

4.  Price - Good buzz about him. 

5.  Eldeman - Unless we get a 3rd round pick trade offer, Eldeman will be on the roster.  He is basically Welker's backup.

6.  Tate - Provides us with depth and as a fifth WR can get the job done.                  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

I always like to give kids a chance - maube to a fault

If he has separation skills we should know that
    If he does that would make him worth alot more
     Can anyone comment of that?

Also - this year the KO will be less important
    so he might lose an adge to make the teaam on that

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

In Response to Re: Brandon Tate:
    I think this assessment is accurate. Maybe as a 5th WR and returner he makes the team and over the next couple of years develops. There is no question in my mind that Price is the superior receiver, and should the fragile Branch get hurt, you probably see Price moving in that spot over Tate. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

In Response to Re: Brandon Tate:
    I always like to give kids a chance - maube to a fault If he has separation skills we should know that If he does that would make him worth alot more  Can anyone comment of that? Also - this year the KO will be less important so he might lose an adge to make the teaam on that
    Posted by seawolfxs

There are a lot of guys every year that have the paper stats that suggest they should be stars. The paper stats account for maybe 25% of what it takes. That 25% can give you the edge if you have the rest of the package. That's why the combine doesn't tell you jack about a player. I don't think Tate has the rest of the package and he's pretty close to being considered a lost cause if not for his return skills and the possibility of holding him just for depth. The separation ability in the context of what he has done adds up to zero added value. I'd take a slower guy who runs better routs and catches the ball every time. Remember Aiken? I'd put him on the roster over Tate quite honestly. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Pats keep 6 WRs on the 53 man roster . . .

Welker, Chad, Price, Branch, Edelman and Ross (the UCal kid  . . . who was one of the best returners in college last year). Most games they will dress five of these six.  Remember the can dress 46 this year and Edelman will be the emergency QB when they decide to dress only two QBs.   Barnes goes to the Practice Squad for a year and the surprise is that Tate is cut or traded!  Vereen will also handle kickoff returns!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

Tate better kick it up a notch .............I been watching practices and it looks like Edelman moved ahead of him ........I guess thats what happens when you go to California in the offseason and work out with the star qb.........Edelman eventually will lead to Welkers departure.........................

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ufcfighter1. Show ufcfighter1's posts

hope does more than stallworth did...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Tate's had issues. Towards the end of the season he couldn't get any separation from CB's. He had stone hands to the point where balls were falling out his palms. All his routes were essentially go routes which means they don't have much confidence in his route running ability (that was one of his knocks coming out of school). His looks went down as the season progressed which shows Brady lost confidence towards the end of the season. Tate has talent but he's quickly turning into the 5th WR/ST JAG type of player. This year will be huge for him but from what I've heard about Price in camp is that Price has made huge leaps in his route running compared to the beginning of last year. It's hard to think that if Price, who is faster and stronger, has surpassed Tate in route running that Price wouldn't have the leg up on the depth chart

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

There's some high praise for Edelman on here. Every time I read the practice reports however, he always is in the "dropping it like it's hot" section...every single time. In the end it really doesn't matter that he tries to stay chummy with Tom in the off season or grow out his hair to look like him... if he can't consistently hold onto the ball and stay healthy. I've watched him live 3 times and from what I saw, he can't catch passes that are over ten yards long. Short ones and run after? Awesome. Run an nfl route and catch a ball cleanly in traffic? Nope.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Locks to in my mind....Welker, Branch, CJ, Price, Edelman
    Up in the air....Tate, Ross,etc.

Comparing Tate and Ross, they are very similar in terms of strengths and weaknesses. Ross is bigger than Tate, but both are good KR's, and both are non-polished WR's. Both are knocked for their route running, catching ability. The major difference in my mind is Tate has a year in the system and Ross has nothing. Can you give the edge to Tate just based on this fact? Meaning, if need be, he would see the field first over Ross.

I guess it comes down to potential. If Ross has more potential at WR in our system than Tate, each cancelling out the other on KR's, then I would take Ross over Tate. Given Price has stepped up and has moved into 4th place on the depth chart, I don't think we are relying much on Tate this year unless of course we are plagued by injuries. Really, how much does Tate see the field this year as a WR, when he's behind CJ, Welker, Branch and probably Price?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Seeing as though he was touted as being a better reciever than his teamate Hakeem Nicks. I am gonna say he was overated coming out of college or is just an under achiever, and he works hard, so I have to say its the first thing. He was overated at UNC

He is a good to great KR and a 4th wr that is limited to screen passes at the line of scrimmage. His downfield catching technique is raw and not worth chucking the ball down to him cuz he probablay wont get it and the other team will. 

He is a decent player , but just cant understand why people thought we were getting a steal when obtained in the 3rd round...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfitone. Show kjfitone's posts

i think price could be the guy that surprises, he's fast with good hands, lots of upside. not completely sold on tate, he isn't as fast as many make him out to be. he was a good return man though. i'd really like to see price break out. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenacioust. Show tenacioust's posts

In Response to Brandon Tate:
    2010 stats.  24 catches.  432 yards.  27 yards per catch.  3 TDs.  I thought he was pretty impressive for young player last season.  If he keeps developing, he can what Dante Stallworth was for the 2007 offense.  
    Posted by DuncanOrange

Are you saying he will do ok in the first half of the season and then completely disappear and be replaced by Jabar Gaffney?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

I don't know how were going to keep them all.

1-Wes
    2-Chad
    3-Branch
    4-Edelman
    5-Tate
    6-Price

Price is likely to jump Tate soon and Edelman is mainly the slot guy so I would expect for Price to begin to slowly over take Branchs role in the offense by mid year. Tate it really depends what they think he can develop into. If Chad struggles at all they will put him outside but I really think Chad is going to be just fine this year.

If I had to make a depth chart for what I think it will be by week 3-4

1-Wes
    2-Chad
    3-Price
    4-Deion
    5-Edelman
    6-Tate

Tate makes the roster barley and someone else is cut in order for him to stay. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Poor route runner and was repeatedly in the wrong spots. Brady lost confidence and stopped throwing to him. Lsitening to Troy Brown it seems a WR can either run good routes or can't, and Brown thinks that Tate can't.

Sections
Shortcuts