Breaking News! Dennard found guilty.

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Re: Breaking News! Dennard found guilty.

In the state of Conmecticut, he would get AR. Two years probation and a clean record when done. I wonder what Neb. has for first time offenders.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Why would they cut him? This was college stuff that the whole world knew about. He's going to play football, he's a good football player, he's been on the team for a year so presumably they've made their own judgments about his character. 

Cut him? Get real.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

He admitted to the "assault" of the cop so the verdict didn't really surprise me. We'll have to wait for sentencing but it would shock me if he received significant time for a number of reasons:

• He had no prior arrest history (a big factor)
    • He hasn't had a single issue since the arrest (another big factor)
    • The extent of the "assault" was limited to a single blow and there are conflicting reports whether Dennard actually contacted the cops jaw or body
    • Conflicting reports from the cops and witnesses as to the extent of the "assault" (sounds like the cops were playing it up)
    • He admitted to swinging at the cop, but thought the cop was someone trying to jump him and given the confusion seems like a reasonable assertion

There is a lot in Dennards favor for the sentencing. I see the max fine (since he can afford it) along with some jail time, maybe 30-60 days and 3 years probation.

What I can't stand is I kow assaulting a cop is bad but just pushing one is an auto jail time. What makes turning around and taking a swing at a cop without knowing it is a cop any different then taking a swing at a regular citizen? Why such a large bump up in penalty? I understand why in some cases it should be a bigger deal but in cases like these (and there are a lot of them) does anyone actually think it warrents going from a misdemeanor to a felony? Hopefully the Judge takes that into account and understands in a case like this a felony wasn't warrented just because there was a cop involved.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lsulifer86. Show lsulifer86's posts

I am sure it did not help in the least that he's a Patriot - folks around the country hate anything Patriots. So Denard had the odds stacked against him to start with..

I feel for him.. Its not like he initiated anything. One can make the case he did not react appropriately..

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

In response to ClarkGriswold's comment:

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Why would they cut him? This was college stuff that the whole world knew about. He's going to play football, he's a good football player, he's been on the team for a year so presumably they've made their own judgments about his character. 

Cut him? Get real.

Patsman3 is somewhat trollish.  He's into kneejerking and being dramatic. 

Awww Rusty couldn't go a full topic post without insulting someone.  When he gets cut remember this post.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

In response to Patsman3's comment:

Cut him? Get real.

Awww Rusty couldn't go a full topic post without insulting someone.  When he gets cut remember this post.

How did I insult you?  You came on here and said "career over, 5 years in jail".

That's a knee jerk, dramatic reaction from you. I am describing your behavior.  That's up to you if yout think your behavior is poor.

"Somewhat trollish" isnt an insult?  Actually from you I guess that's probably a compliment.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Cut him? Get real.

Cutting him would be dumb. They knew about this when they drafted him, it's not like it's some big shock or that were some new details that came out at trial. He won't get serious time, if he gets any at all and that would likely be following an appeal. I predict he's your starting CB in September. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

BB knew the charges and the details of the incident before he drafted the kid. I doubt he would cut him because a cop claimed he had a boo boo and the doctor gave him some aspirin and said take a hike.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

This is absoutely ridiculous, how could they let this happen the legal system is so faulty it actually hurts my feelings and it's not just here it's all around the world. The victim does the time while the perpetrator sits at home and continues his life. It took them 2 days to come up with a guilty verdict, if it was so hard to decide how could they ruin a young mans life over something so minor, the cop has nothing to gain at all (and was barely hurt) and Dennard has it all to lose. It seems to me like there was no solid evidence at all and they just went with the word of a cop over a 23 year old because that seems most sensible

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

I don't believe they can suspend him, see Ellis, Kenrick. But I could be wrong. He will appeal, probably strike a deal at some point. 18 months suspended sentence, maybe he does 90 days in jail, $10K fine, community service, something like that. No way he gets years in prison.

It seems God dell can do whatever he wants.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

Cut him? Get real.

How did I insult you?  You came on here and said "career over, 5 years in jail".

That's a knee jerk, dramatic reaction from you. I am describing your behavior.  That's up to you if yout think your behavior is poor.

"Somewhat trollish" isnt an insult?  Actually from you I guess that's probably a compliment.

Are you seriously "insulted" that your tone here is perceived as trollish? Wow, Sally.  A little sensitive, aren't we? For someone with your track record to be that sensitive, that seems a little contradictory to me.

Keep in mind you said "5 years in prison, career over". 

I am not insulted at all.  I know your track record.  I said you couldnt go a full post without insulting someone, not that I was insulted.  I was describing your behavior not its effect on me.  I just hope it doesn't get you banned for like the 500th time.  I guess that's not an indication of how people out here perceive you huh?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

BB knew the charges and the details of the incident before he drafted the kid. I doubt he would cut him because a cop claimed he had a boo boo and the doctor gave him some aspirin and said take a hike.

Agree with the first part but now its not a cop claiming it, its a jury conviction.  He is now a convicted felon.

I must say thou, I could just imagine how different the reaction would be out here if Dennard played for say the Jets, Colts or Giants.......

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Agree with the first part but now its not a cop claiming it, its a jury conviction.  He is now a convicted felon.

I must say thou, I could just imagine how different the reaction would be out here if Dennard played for say the Jets, Colts or Giants.......

It still would be overblown, in a lot of states your first felony with reason is off your record in two years with no jail. Lets not falsely claim it is something it isn't.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Jets there'd be a reaction, sure. We can't stand them. Colts, G-men nah, who cares. There'd be crickets.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Don't know the circumstances, but 2/3rds of a charge is pretty harsh. I am curious to see what happens with sentencing. Years for assaulting a cop (an act I loathe) seems unduly harsh. Pats might have to franchise Talib and keep Arrington.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to dvegas74's comment:

Sentencing set for April 11. Lets hope for probation. Hopefully they can appeal and push it for another year.

Probation?  The guy is going to spend the next five to seven years in prison.  Career over.  Even if by the grace of God he did get parole,  you think the Pats want a convicted felon on the team?

hahahaha... so many athlete's have done worse and been back on the field quickly... you really think a promising 22 year old's career is over?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

This was a kangaroo court. The cop went for treatment and was told to take ibuprofen. LMAO

The article states; "The law requires only that prosecutors show Dennard intentionally, knowingly or recklessly swung at the officer, injuring him as a result."

Sorry, there was no proof of injury simply because the cop said his jaw hurt. Hopefully the judge will rectify this miscarriage of justice with a light sentence.

well it seems u and rusty are in agreement on this one basically and i agree with u both and in both ur points

this seems like another lets get the famous athlete power play by the prosecutor and cops and the fact he is black in nebraska doesn't help either

remember when the philly PD-very racist rep and had mob connected mayor for pete's sake-thru 14 charges at allan iverson? in the end it was overkill and if i remember correctly all but one were dropped for lack of evidence-all that time and tax payer money on a witch hunt...shouldnt the cops/prosecutor face some penalties or charges themselves when they go 1-14 ??

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

In response to dvegas74's comment:

Sentencing set for April 11. Lets hope for probation. Hopefully they can appeal and push it for another year.

Probation?  The guy is going to spend the next five to seven years in prison.  Career over.  Even if by the grace of God he did get parole,  you think the Pats want a convicted felon on the team?

hahahaha... so many athlete's have done worse and been back on the field quickly... you really think a promising 22 year old's career is over?

No I was being over the top.  The Pats will agree to do an exhibition game in Nebraska in the near future with the money going to the cops and all this will be forgotten.  I don't expect anything but a slap on the wrist for a nfl player that took a swipe at a cop.  That's the world we live in.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Pats won't cut him. He was a steal in the draft for this very reason...We all knew there was potential for this.

If this happened while he was with the Pats, then I would certainly say there's a chance.

Now, if he does have to miss a season or two because of jail time, then maybe they will cut him.

If there's a chance he plays in 2013, then I think he stays on the team. 

Now that being said, I think this completely changes the draft. Even if Talib comes back, we may still need to draft another starting corner. If both are gone, then this is 2011 all over again.

Sections
Shortcuts