Breaking News! Dennard found guilty.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

Re: Breaking News! Dennard found guilty.

In response to dapats1281's comment:

Pats won't cut him. He was a steal in the draft for this very reason...We all knew there was potential for this.

If this happened while he was with the Pats, then I would certainly say there's a chance.

Now, if he does have to miss a season or two because of jail time, then maybe they will cut him.

If there's a chance he plays in 2013, then I think he stays on the team. 

Now that being said, I think this completely changes the draft. Even if Talib comes back, we may still need to draft another starting corner. If both are gone, then this is 2011 all over again.

Riess has an article on espn-boston and there is a blurp that first time assualt offense sentance ranges from probation to 6 months.  I am sure the Pats will make sure it's probation.  Then the question becomes can the NFL suspend him. 

I know this happened when he was in college but didnt the NFL suspend the Ohio State QB Pryor when Oakland took him for things he did in college?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to Patsman3's comment:

In response to dapats1281's comment:

Pats won't cut him. He was a steal in the draft for this very reason...We all knew there was potential for this.

If this happened while he was with the Pats, then I would certainly say there's a chance.

Now, if he does have to miss a season or two because of jail time, then maybe they will cut him.

If there's a chance he plays in 2013, then I think he stays on the team. 

Now that being said, I think this completely changes the draft. Even if Talib comes back, we may still need to draft another starting corner. If both are gone, then this is 2011 all over again.

Riess has an article on espn-boston and there is a blurp that first time assualt offense sentance ranges from probation to 6 months.  I am sure the Pats will make sure it's probation.  Then the question becomes can the NFL suspend him. 

I know this happened when he was in college but didnt the NFL suspend the Ohio State QB Pryor when Oakland took him for things he did in college?

Based on Goodell's inconsistent history, I'd say anything can happen when it comes to the NFL punishment.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

I don't believe they can suspend him, see Ellis, Kenrick. But I could be wrong. He will appeal, probably strike a deal at some point. 18 months suspended sentence, maybe he does 90 days in jail, $10K fine, community service, something like that. No way he gets years in prison.

This story is not over. I expect the Pats to stand behind him. I also expect leniency with sentencing in view of no criminal record and the circumstances of the case. Dennard stays a Pat, does his 90 days in jail during off season, receives suspended sentence on balance and does community service. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dvegas74. Show dvegas74's posts

Per espn:

Prosecutors said after the verdict was read that they were not recommending a sentence, the World-Herald reported, adding that the typical sentence for a crime like assaulting an officer ranges from probation -- with no jail time -- to 180 days behind bars.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

There's an awful lot of fans giving Dennard a pass here.  I hope you all remember this when you are ready to trash another team for one of its players transgressions.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

He admitted to the "assault" of the cop so the verdict didn't really surprise me. We'll have to wait for sentencing but it would shock me if he received significant time for a number of reasons:

• He had no prior arrest history (a big factor)
    • He hasn't had a single issue since the arrest (another big factor)
    • The extent of the "assault" was limited to a single blow and there are conflicting reports whether Dennard actually contacted the cops jaw or body
    • Conflicting reports from the cops and witnesses as to the extent of the "assault" (sounds like the cops were playing it up)
    • He admitted to swinging at the cop, but thought the cop was someone trying to jump him and given the confusion seems like a reasonable assertion

There is a lot in Dennards favor for the sentencing. I see the max fine (since he can afford it) along with some jail time, maybe 30-60 days and 3 years probation.

What I can't stand is I kow assaulting a cop is bad but just pushing one is an auto jail time. What makes turning around and taking a swing at a cop without knowing it is a cop any different then taking a swing at a regular citizen? Why such a large bump up in penalty? I understand why in some cases it should be a bigger deal but in cases like these (and there are a lot of them) does anyone actually think it warrents going from a misdemeanor to a felony? Hopefully the Judge takes that into account and understands in a case like this a felony wasn't warrented just because there was a cop involved.

Perhaps you're right about a probated sentence, with some relatively light jail time as a condition of probation. BUT...what will Jolly Roger Goodell do? Will he suspend Dennard?? Will he make the Pats forfeit their 29th overall pick for selecting Dennard? Will he accused Dennard of having a bounty against police officers? With the power-drunk Jolly Roger, one truly never knows.    

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbalance617. Show jbalance617's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

I don't believe they can suspend him, see Ellis, Kenrick. But I could be wrong. He will appeal, probably strike a deal at some point. 18 months suspended sentence, maybe he does 90 days in jail, $10K fine, community service, something like that. No way he gets years in prison.

Sounds about right

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

It will be interesting to see what Goodell does here.  I can see him not doing anything and I can also see him summoning him for a personal audience after which he suspends the guy for a couple of games.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to UD6's comment:

There's an awful lot of fans giving Dennard a pass here.  I hope you all remember this when you are ready to trash another team for one of its players transgressions.

If a player on another team in college did the same thing, I'd say the same thing simply because I think a felony isn't warrented given the situation. Most of us have been in bar fights and things get crazy and I've had friends who were assualted by people who claimed to be cops and I've had friends hit cops who were in street clothes thinking they were fake. There is a huge difference between something like this which is forgivable and other incidents. You smoke up not to big of an issue. You do something like get in a bar fight in college, not a big issue if you don't get carried away (which it's obvious he didn't). You jump a guy and beat them down or you chase after someone to beat them or you use a weapon etc that's a big deal

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

If a player on another team in college did the same thing, I'd say the same thing simply because I think a felony isn't warrented given the situation. Most of us have been in bar fights and things get crazy and I've had friends who were assualted by people who claimed to be cops and I've had friends hit cops who were in street clothes thinking they were fake. There is a huge difference between something like this which is forgivable and other incidents. You smoke up not to big of an issue. You do something like get in a bar fight in college, not a big issue if you don't get carried away (which it's obvious he didn't). You jump a guy and beat them down or you chase after someone to beat them or you use a weapon etc that's a big deal

And if Fetus Head did this, doggy doo would want to give him a medal.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Zip it troll.

Coming from somebody who calls a sexual assault a "harmless college prank", this is sickening.

Amen!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Well you can't punch cops, resist arrest or start trouble after a club shuts down...if you could the world would be a much worse place.

Without any priors and provided Dennard hasn't gotten into any trouble while with us last season, I can see a probation, fine and cummunity service. I can't see Nebraska allowing the community service to be served in Mass though. The judge has a lot of leeway in his sentencing - I seriously hope Dennard didn't make any stupid facebook or twitter posts over the last year - that stuff can be used against you, especially when making a final decision on what you think a guy's character is and how he should be sentenced.

Another thing that worries me is if Dennard was in a positon to accept a plea and refused because he thought he could do better in court. Those are things that a judge my hold against him, because it was extra trouble for everyone invloved and in the end he was found guilty anyway...a judge may look to stick it to him.

I think he ends up with a probation, fine, and community service. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

A lot of interesting things bout this.  1) The man has already paid quite a bit for this crime.  He would have been a 3rd rounder if he hadn't done this right before the draft.  That cost him several hundeds of thousand of dollars in signing bonus.  2) The Pats got some really good play out of him for a 7th rounder.  If he misses the entire next season, it would still be a great return for his draft position.  Plus, he'd be motivated as heck to hae a rebound season.  3) I bet he gets a couple of months in jail and a 6-game suspension, which still puts him back in action in Game 7.  I don't think this is a disaster.  4) No way he gets cut.  The Pats knew about the incident when they drafted him - why would they now change their collective mind about that?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

He won't go to jail. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I bet he will be ready to play week 1.  I think he will see minimal jail time (30-90 days), probation, and a heavy fine.  I doubt that Goodell will suspend him for something that happened before he was even in the NFL.  We'll see....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRABBB. Show JRABBB's posts

So now a patriot is found guiltyof felony assault and another one is found half naked and completely hammered in a bar!?

What's next the head coach will be found guilty of cheating.....again!?

That doesn't sound very much like the so called "patriot way" now does it Gang!?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

Whatever dude

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

But those players play for other teams so of course they should be held to a different standard.  As a Patriots fan all I care about is whether a player can contribute to the Patriots.  Players for other teams better be boy scouts. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

one never knows how these kinds of things will go.  I can see him getting as little as probation to the 5 years max for assaulting a police officer.  Depends on the mood of the judge and the degree of the assault (for example, was it a shove - or was it numberous punches?).

Easy come, easy go.  BB had better get his game on. The secondary just got worse.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

now we can say we must sign talib?

Sections
Shortcuts