Breaking News! Dennard found guilty.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

Re: Breaking News! Dennard found guilty.

Regardless of what you feel is acceptible conduct, assulting a police officer is going to be handled harshly.   In the case of Dennard, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets 6 months jail time with 3 months suspended.  Anything less is definitely a victory for Dennard and the Pats.

I know of a case in Virginia where a policeman arrested a drunken and rowdy bar patron who tugged and pushed  a policeman because he thought that he was too roughly handled. He spent 3 months in jail with 9 months probation.

Eighteen months later he was again arrested for drunken behavior and he quarreled with the arresting officer because the cuffs were on too tight.  When (according to him) the officer just laughed he retaliated by spitting in the officer's face.  He got 2 years jail time with  5 years  probation. The act of spitting was legally judged as an assult of a police officer.

The "felon" was know to be a  responsible, hard working and kind hearted soul who was liked by all but his conduct when sober did little to reduce his sentense. Even his prison warden believed him to be a model citizen when sober as evidenced by his appointment as a prison trustee after 6 months confinement.

As a Pats fan I feel like the news couldn't be worse and I'm hoping that leniency in Nebraska is better than Virginia!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

If  jail sentence is to be imposed. can it be deferred and be served during the next off season on the condition that Dennard is to stay away from all trouble? With him having no record and he had stayed clean after that incident, putting a young man in jail because of one mistake and ruining his career and a chance to be a good productive citizen henceforth serves nobody's interest.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

cool story bro. more proof of the 5#!tty injustice system we have here in 'merica.

You should move to France.  

On another note, interesting points about any league sanctions here http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/20/nfl-will-review-dennard-conviction-under-conduct-policy/

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

I think he will get 15 yards from the spot of the foul.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

Given the apparent circumstances, regardless of the legal outcome, any jail time would seem more symbolic, designed to send a message, than necessary based on the conduct. You have to think it may not happen therefore or be a pretty short period of time.

It's a tough one for Goodell, who admittedly seems to make arbitrary and not always well thought out decisions. An easy out for him is to defer any NFL discipline until after the completion of Dennard's sentence which could take a while if there's a lenghty probation period. If there's no further problems then no one will care if he takes no action at that point.

One would hope the agents for these kids are telling them to avoid bars altogether in the days leading up to the draft.

Doesn't sound like Dennard was looking for trouble, but it found him anyway.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

He's probably going to do time, even if it's a year or two. That's at least year or two without what was the Pats' best developing corner. No Dennard, no Talib if they don't sign him. Look forward to a lot of 44-34 wins over Buffalo, and some 35-24 losses to good teams. Whatayado?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

If the article at ESPN Boston is accurate, then it's a positive sign if the prosecutors aren't seeking any specific sentence.

If they were jumping up and down for jail time the judge is placed in a tougher spot.

I'm not saying he won't get any jail, we'll see, but a year or two would be huge jail time for a guy with no previous or subsequent problems.

They know he has money, so a big fine and probation make sense.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

cool story bro. more proof of the 5#!tty injustice system we have here in 'merica.

How so, bro?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Dennard faced up to seven years in prison if convicted of all three charges. The felony assault charge carries a maximum penalty of five years in prison and a $10,000 fine, while each misdemeanor charge carried a maximum penalty of a year in jail and a $1,000 fine.

Wow! Not good!

i said from the day of the draft, if the charges were not dropped or plead out this was serious.

the da apparently is trying to run for higher office in the future. this seems like nay other case that should have been plead down with a formerly clean citezen

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

i said from the day of the draft, if the charges were not dropped or plead out this was serious.

the da apparently is trying to run for higher office in the future. this seems like nay other case that should have been plead down with a formerly clean citezen

Yes, Dennards Lawyer perhaps did try a plea down for no jail time etc. if not he should have. Should never had gone to a jury trial. Whats Important for the DA is to win the case, thats' all. Dennards priors are non-existant or relatively clean anyway. So I don't see the DA demanding any jailtime. I see probation and payment of fines and community service. He learns his lesson and why destroy a mans career. Makes no sense. Guilty as charged and get over it. This stuff happens all the time.

Keep up your good work Bred...;-))

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to lsulifer86's comment:

I am sure it did not help in the least that he's a Patriot - folks around the country hate anything Patriots. So Denard had the odds stacked against him to start with..

I feel for him.. Its not like he initiated anything. One can make the case he did not react appropriately..

HIYA QUEENIE!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to palookaski's comment:

In response to bredbru's comment:

Yes, Dennards Lawyer perhaps did try a plea down for no jail time etc. if not he should have. Should never had gone to a jury trial. Whats Important for the DA is to win the case, thats' all. Dennards priors are non-existant or relatively clean anyway. So I don't see the DA demanding any jailtime. I see probation and payment of fines and community service. He learns his lesson and why destroy a mans career. Makes no sense. Guilty as charged and get over it. This stuff happens all the time.

Keep up your good work Bred...;-))

back at ya palooka

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dvegas74. Show dvegas74's posts

Do you feel given what we have learned of the case and his being found guilty he should serve jail time? Keep in mind he has a clean record (barely touched the officer) all ready lost millions of dollars from this. He is now with the best football team in terms of dealing with problem child's. He is in the best situation here in NE. Would jail time really benefit society in this case? Is he a safety concern? I personally believe yes he did commit the crime he was convicted of. I also believe the best way to handle this is with a suspended sentence, fine and community outreach.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to dvegas74's comment:

Do you feel given what we have learned of the case and his being found guilty he should serve jail time? Keep in mind he has a clean record (barely touched the officer) all ready lost millions of dollars from this. He is now with the best football team in terms of dealing with problem child's. He is in the best situation here in NE. Would jail time really benefit society in this case? Is he a safety concern? I personally believe yes he did commit the crime he was convicted of. I also believe the best way to handle this is with a suspended sentence, fine and community outreach.

dvegas,

agree with your whole postion. society not being seerved by paying for a non criminal to be lumped in wiht criminals. we live in thee most imprisoned society in the world by population and percentage of population and it aint even close. we have a prison industry, just like a military industrial complex that thrives on the need for invasions/mass murder (and it thirves on the need for prisoners). it is growing eponentially.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Sorry I'm of the camp he probably did it, the cops kind of screwed up the case and everyone wants it to go away. They probably did plea down. The DA won and that's what matters. Think of that would happen in a college town if Dennard won.

now if goodell is smart he will have a private meeting and a hand slap. After all villma played. I think goodell wants it to go away too 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

He admitted to the "assault" of the cop so the verdict didn't really surprise me. We'll have to wait for sentencing but it would shock me if he received significant time for a number of reasons:

• He had no prior arrest history (a big factor)
    • He hasn't had a single issue since the arrest (another big factor)
    • The extent of the "assault" was limited to a single blow and there are conflicting reports whether Dennard actually contacted the cops jaw or body
    • Conflicting reports from the cops and witnesses as to the extent of the "assault" (sounds like the cops were playing it up)
    • He admitted to swinging at the cop, but thought the cop was someone trying to jump him and given the confusion seems like a reasonable assertion

There is a lot in Dennards favor for the sentencing. I see the max fine (since he can afford it) along with some jail time, maybe 30-60 days and 3 years probation.

What I can't stand is I kow assaulting a cop is bad but just pushing one is an auto jail time. What makes turning around and taking a swing at a cop without knowing it is a cop any different then taking a swing at a regular citizen? Why such a large bump up in penalty? I understand why in some cases it should be a bigger deal but in cases like these (and there are a lot of them) does anyone actually think it warrents going from a misdemeanor to a felony? Hopefully the Judge takes that into account and understands in a case like this a felony wasn't warrented just because there was a cop involved.

That's what you get when you vote for those " tough on crime" Republicans. There are advantages to voting for liberal Democrats :-)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Davedsone's comment:

You should move to France.  

On another note, interesting points about any league sanctions here http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/20/nfl-will-review-dennard-conviction-under-conduct-policy/

France is a pretty nice place.  Ever been there?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

I wonder if he was given a plea offer. I wonder if his lawyer gave him bad advice, why go to trial for what happened . I wonder if his lawyer saw an opportunity to make some big bucks from a young NFL player. I wonder if the Defense lawyer and the Prosecutor are cousins. Something stinks about this whole thing.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

Sorry I'm of the camp he probably did it, the cops kind of screwed up the case and everyone wants it to go away. They probably did plea down. The DA won and that's what matters. Think of that would happen in a college town if Dennard won.

now if goodell is smart he will have a private meeting and a hand slap. After all villma played. I think goodell wants it to go away too 

he went ot trial on all the orignal charges. that is not pleaing down.