Breaking News! Dennard found guilty.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dvegas74. Show dvegas74's posts

Breaking News! Dennard found guilty.

Horrible news as jury just found Dennard guilty of felony assult.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130220/HUSKERS/702209886/1685#jury-finds-former-husker-dennard-guilty-of-felony-assault

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: Breaking News! Dennard found guilty.

Dennard faced up to seven years in prison if convicted of all three charges. The felony assault charge carries a maximum penalty of five years in prison and a $10,000 fine, while each misdemeanor charge carried a maximum penalty of a year in jail and a $1,000 fine.

Wow! Not good!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Dennard faced up to seven years in prison if convicted of all three charges. The felony assault charge carries a maximum penalty of five years in prison and a $10,000 fine, while each misdemeanor charge carried a maximum penalty of a year in jail and a $1,000 fine.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dvegas74. Show dvegas74's posts

Sentencing set for April 11. Lets hope for probation. Hopefully they can appeal and push it for another year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

In response to dvegas74's comment:

Sentencing set for April 11. Lets hope for probation. Hopefully they can appeal and push it for another year.

Probation?  The guy is going to spend the next five to seven years in prison.  Career over.  Even if by the grace of God he did get parole,  you think the Pats want a convicted felon on the team?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

Not good.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

We'll see on April 11 but no matter how you slice it this is not good news.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to ClarkGriswold's comment:

In response to Patsman3's comment:

Probation?  The guy is going to spend the next five to seven years in prison.  Career over.  Even if by the grace of God he did get parole,  you think the Pats want a convicted felon on the team?

You're predicting 5-7 years in prison? The guy has no record at all, so I doubt it's that. Plus, he admitted to resisting, so it's not like he was denying nothing happened.

It's already odd that he wasn't even involved in the original incident, was grabbed from behind in a crowd and each the victim and cop's testimonies don't even match.   Say what you want, but I'd be annoyed if a cop grabbed from behind without cause.  

I wonder if the jury was all white? lmao

Ouch!

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

This was a kangaroo court. The cop went for treatment and was told to take ibuprofen. LMAO

The article states; "The law requires only that prosecutors show Dennard intentionally, knowingly or recklessly swung at the officer, injuring him as a result."

Sorry, there was no proof of injury simply because the cop said his jaw hurt. Hopefully the judge will rectify this miscarriage of justice with a light sentence.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to MoreRings' comment:

You're predicting 5-7 years in prison? The guy has no record at all, so I doubt it's that. Plus, he admitted to resisting, so it's not like he was denying nothing happened.

It's already odd that he wasn't even involved in the original incident, was grabbed from behind in a crowd and each the victim and cop's testimonies don't even match.   Say what you want, but I'd be annoyed if a cop grabbed from behind without cause.  

I wonder if the jury was all white? lmao

Ouch!

Hard to ignore it. Black jock who is now with the evil Pats being judged by an all white jury in lillywhite Lincoln, NE. 

Once the initial victim testified that Dennard wasn't even the one who punched him and his testimony didn't match the cop's, with so little evidence, I figured there wasn't enough to get a conviction.

See, I am wrong plenty! hhaaa

Tough spot for Dennard. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dvegas74. Show dvegas74's posts

Dont forget an appeal is always an option with the sentecing held until appeal is heard. Its a shame this kid was really starting to look good. I even considered purchasing a jersey :(

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Nebraska....not Massachusetts....although jail time seems unlikely it is possible. Won't be more than 6 months. He may appeal of course.

He was a college player at the time of the charge. How can he be suspended for something that happened before he joined the NFL?

Is that a rule? So if draftees have incidents on their record prior to the NFL are they suspended after being drafted?

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dvegas74. Show dvegas74's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

This was a kangaroo court. The cop went for treatment and was told to take ibuprofen. LMAO

The article states; "The law requires only that prosecutors show Dennard intentionally, knowingly or recklessly swung at the officer, injuring him as a result."

Sorry, there was no proof of injury simply because the cop said his jaw hurt. Hopefully the judge will rectify this miscarriage of justice with a light sentence.

Or, a kangaoo jury.  Why did it take 24 hours to decide if Dennard punched the cop? Bizarre. Like they need to sit around and talk about all the inconsitencies in the case? lol

Either there is definitve proof or it's a he said/she said incident. It's not like the cop had medical proof of injury to from a punch. All he had was some scrapes on his neck which is consistent with someone resisting arrest/with flailng arms, etc.

Definitely a smelly kind of situation from the beginning. 

Also it seems an over jealous prosecuter handled the case. Where was the plea deal in this case?

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

So you guys have no problem with a convicted felon on the Pats?  My bet is the Pats cut him.

As for no jail time?  Are you serious.  Felony assualt on a police officer is not going to get probation.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from elendil. Show elendil's posts

Great, wait until Leon gets a hold of this news... Between Gronk and Dennard, Butt-fumble boy is going to have a field-day cluttering up this site!

Seems a bit more urgent to retain Talib's services now?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

He is not going to spend 5-7 years in prison. He was actually only found guilty of 2 of the 3 things. He also has never been in trouble. He will get a fine and probation. I wouldn't take the high ground. It happened last years and it was really 3 misdemeanors. I hate that because it was a cop it gets bumped up.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I don't believe they can suspend him, see Ellis, Kenrick. But I could be wrong. He will appeal, probably strike a deal at some point. 18 months suspended sentence, maybe he does 90 days in jail, $10K fine, community service, something like that. No way he gets years in prison.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dvegas74. Show dvegas74's posts

I cant see the Pats cutting him yet, with our lack of D backs. Perhaps BB will let this play out before making and decisions.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts