Breaking News: Favre Says No To Vikes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATemdown. Show PATemdown's posts

Breaking News: Favre Says No To Vikes

By Kevin Seifert
    ESPN.com

Quarterback Brett Favre has informed Minnesota Vikings officials that he will remain retired, according to The Star Tribune.

Coach Brad Childress confirmed the news to the Star Tribune, leaving the Vikings in an unexpected and awkward spot with training camp set to open Wednesday. The Vikings are now left to choose between Tarvaris Jackson and Sage Rosenfels as their 2009 starter.

"I just think it was a rare opportunity to explore a Hall of Fame quarterback who had background in the NFC and in this division," Childress said to the newspaper. "He knows our system inside out ... This doesn't change anything about how I feel about our football team."

Kevin Seifert covers the NFC North for ESPN.com.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Re: Breaking News: Favre Says No To Vikes

Until he changes his mind again.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

I hope he stays away for real, good riddance.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

In Response to Breaking News: Favre Says No To Vikes:
    By Kevin Seifert ESPN.com Quarterback Brett Favre has informed Minnesota Vikings officials that he will remain retired, according to The Star Tribune. Coach Brad Childress confirmed the news to the Star Tribune, leaving the Vikings in an unexpected and awkward spot with training camp set to open Wednesday. The Vikings are now left to choose between Tarvaris Jackson and Sage Rosenfels as their 2009 starter. "I just think it was a rare opportunity to explore a Hall of Fame quarterback who had background in the NFC and in this division," Childress said to the newspaper. "He knows our system inside out ... This doesn't change anything about how I feel about our football team." Kevin Seifert covers the NFC North for ESPN.com.
    Posted by PATemdown

Until, 6 weeks into the season, Tavaris Jackson has 10 INTs and a 23 QB rating...and mysteriously, Favre's retirement paperwork was never received at the Players Association fax.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

All I "sniff sniff" wanted was to play, I'm not trying to be a drama queen....really....no really I"m not "sniff".

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

By Kevin Seifert ESPN.com Quarterback Brett Favre has informed Minnesota Vikings officials that he will remain retired, according to The Star Tribune. Coach Brad Childress confirmed the news to the Star Tribune, leaving the Vikings in an unexpected and awkward spot with training camp set to open Wednesday. The Vikings are now left to choose between Tarvaris Jackson and Sage Rosenfels as their 2009 starter. "I just think it was a rare opportunity to explore a Hall of Fame quarterback who had background in the NFC and in this division," Childress said to the newspaper. "He knows our system inside out ... This doesn't change anything about how I feel about our football team." Kevin Seifert covers the NFC North for ESPN.com.
    Posted by PATemdown
    Lets dont put the lid on it yet.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/28/favre-will-continue-to-keep-throwing/

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricky1554atl. Show ricky1554atl's posts

Posted by PATemdown

Doesn't change anything? Really? I thought having pursued Favre spoke volumes about how you felt about your team? My mistake.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

The Vikings just got better.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

As much as I'm sick of hearing about him, the inundation of ESPN by Brett Favre news is as much ESPN's fault as it is Brett Favre's.

I'm 20, and I'll probably never play football again.  And there's not a day that goes by that I don't wonder how I could possibly pull strings so I can play one last time.  I miss the game like you can't imagine, and choosing to walk away after realizing my physical limitations prevented me from competing was one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make.  I played for 11 years.  I can only imagine how Favre feels.

Try to imagine giving up someone or something you love that much - maybe then you'll have a little more sympathy for the guy.  He doesn't choose to report on himself on an hourly basis - ESPN does.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

In Response to Re: Breaking News: Favre Says No To Vikes:
    The Vikings just got better.
    Posted by Yapple

Favre stinks. We were lucky the JESTS picked him up and screwed up their team last year. 3 of his last 4 years were horrible. He is a dooche. Why are the Vikings, a playoff team who picked up a pretty good guy in Rosenfels, willing to just hand the keys over to this bum? They got lucky he quit and don't know it yet.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

All I can say is that I haven't heard the fat lady singing just yet. It's only July! To paraphrase Billy Crystal and Jack Palance:

"Brett, you un-retire yet today?"

"Day ain't over yet!!!"

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

If this is the last we hear of the Brett Favre Saga I'll eat my hat, scarf and both mittens.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

"I just think it was a rare opportunity to explore a Hall of Fame quarterback who had background in the NFC and in this division,"

So go get Fran Tarkenton, you moron.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bmartins16. Show bmartins16's posts

Does not matter who is taking the snaps.  The Vikings are not going to be contendors until they get a new coach. I was at that massacre on Oct 30, 2006 when the Pat's outcoached Childress and the Vikes. Everyone said the Pats would not be able to run on my Vikes, so BB and co. threw to 10 different receivers.  T-Jack is a joke. Can't read defenses. People wonder why there are blackouts for Vikes games every single week. So sad.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Actually, the network or a corporate sponsor will usually chip in at the last minute to cover the shortfall and avoid the blackout. Although the Vikes almost didn't sell out the playoff game last year.

Can you imagine that, Pats fans?

Chilly is a clown and there's just no way around it. It's true enough that T-Jack blows, but Chilly is the guy who insisted the Vikes move up to get him and Chilly is the guy who was going to mentor him and turn the sow's ear into a silk purse and Chilly is the guy who played with T-Jack like a yo-yo -- starting him before he was ready, then bringing in retreads to take his job, and never allowing the kid to develop the way any normal young potential NFL quarterback should.

The good news for Vikings fans (whomever they may be) is that, barring something radically unforseen, Chilly is long gone before your New Year's hangover makes you say all those silly things we all know you don't really mean.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

He's still throwing

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Its not over till the season starts, if he is not playing for the Vikes in week 1 I think he stays retired but i have a feeling once training camp starts up he will show up and say "did I say I was retired? when I meant to say is when is camp?" lol

Sections
Shortcuts