Brees about to screw the Saints chances for more.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Brees about to screw the Saints chances for more.....

Adam Schein
    The Saints have big issues on their plate. How’s that for the understatement of the century?

But the selfishness of quarterback Drew Brees got swept under the rug this week. That’s a sentence I never thought I would write.

The New Orleans Saints are not cheap, as they have been wrongly portrayed in the media. They offered Brees a deal that would make him the highest-paid quarterback in the NFL. Although he isn’t the best quarterback in the NFL, Brees earned that salary, in the eyes of the New Orleans brass, with his play and leadership in New Orleans.

But being No. 1 wasn’t good enough for Brees. He insisted on more.

The Saints offered Brees more than the $18.5 million per season Tom Brady and Peyton Manning make (made in Manning’s case now). They offered him a $30 million signing bonus. New Orleans offered Brees the second-highest amount of guaranteed money in NFL history in the first three years of his deal. Brees didn’t ask for $20 million per season as a response to the New Orleans offer. He countered by demanding $23 million per season. The Saints and Brees are far apart.

The Saints’ offer remains on the table. New Orleans would love for Brees to sign it. Thus, New Orleans was left with no choice but to give Brees the franchise tag. Sadly, that means they couldn’t tag star guard Carl Nicks. As a result, he likely will get a bigger offer via free agency and leave. New Orleans still has to deal with receiver Marques Colston, receiver Robert Meachem and cornerback Tracy Porter. There is a realistic chance they could all go as free agents.

Brees represented a pied piper for the Saints after Hurricane Katrina. He had a chance to do that after “Bounty Gate.” New Orleans wanted to reward him for the past and honor him for the future. But Brees wanted more money. And it will hurt the Saints’ chances of winning.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

Re: Brees about to screw the Saints chances for more.....

The franchise tag will make little difference in the Saints being able to afford those players.  You can't afford everyone; BB has understood this.  Mickey "I'll take care of it" Loomis did a poor job of managing the cap with all these key parts coming due at the same time

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Another reason not to Like Drew Brees

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

I am not sure of the situation with Brees or why he would not sigh.  I do know that a GM is doing something wrong to have that much talent come due for a raise all at once.  He needed to look how the Patriots manage their roster and salary cap.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

Well, he needs all that money to fund the bounty system

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I'm getting the feeling this guy Brees is a bit of a DB. This is a guy that wouldn't talk to his own mother over some beef the two had...now the woman is dead...I don't get the vibe that he has any regrets about it. It's not like you see him on ESPN saying how people should forgive and forget because you never know when they could be gone.

I think New Orleans is going to learn a thing or two about Brees this off season.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

get on their knees and give him what he wants- that just sounds dirty jints-

so jints what is your opinion on bountygate. how does it compare to spygate in your opinion

In Response to Re: Brees about to screw the Saints chances for more.....:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brees about to screw the Saints chances for more..... : well from what i understand his mother was an alcoholic who abandoned him...and who the hell are you to judge him anyway? and after what he did for that team and that city they ought to get on their knees and give him what he wants...
    Posted by JintsFan[/QUOTE]

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

but you know what i was listening to peter king on dan patrick show today.

patrick asked should the saints be stripped of their super bowl. king repled no because there is no evidence that the saints injured a player and won as a result.
    i think intent is important but isnt it also important that there really isnt a long list of players they hurt with illegal hits

they are going to be severely punished and i dont think it will be fair

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brees about to screw the Saints chances for more..... : i already said intent to injure is much was than filming anything

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brees about to screw the Saints chances for more..... : well from what i understand his mother was an alcoholic who abandoned him...and who the hell are you to judge him anyway? and after what he did for that team and that city they ought to get on their knees and give him what he wants...

Is it possible for you to come down of your self righteous high horse? I just think that if a guy won't talk to his mother, he may not be the easiest guy to negotiate a contract with (we're not talking about a guy that doesn't talk to his college buddy, but his own mom).

His mom was an alcoholic? Wow! That is pretty bad!! There are no alcoholics on the planet - she must of been the Devil. And she abandoned him? She must of left him in a card board box or something. He must of crawled out of that box, fed himself, fought for his life, learned how to play football, went to a 40k a year school and then managed to get drafted and make millions upon millions of dollars. Heck the Saints should give him a billion dollars for that, maybe they should just put his name on the dead to the city (for all he has done for them and all).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Wow Thurl, I guess you need to be stabbed or something not to have a falling out with your mother, huh?  If she abandoned him, doesn't that mean she didn't want him around, not vice versa? 

Anyway, back to the contract.  The issue is Condon.  He is by far the best client advocate in the business.  Its why the Patriots haven't dealt with him for years. 

Here are Brees' measurables over the last 4 years - some of this is assumption b/c I didn't fully calculate everyone's stats. 

1.  Passing yds - #1
    2.  TD Passes - #1
    3.  Passer rating - probably #1
    4.  Completion % - #1  
    5.  Offensive player of the year, 3-time 2nd team all-pro, Superbowl MVP, Superbowl Champion 
    6.  33 years old
    7.  #1 ambassador for New Orleans

This is not to say that Brees deserves what Condon is asking for him, but these are the things he's using to apply pressure on the team, and its a pretty darn good argument. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brees about to screw the Saints chances for more..... : Is it possible for you to come down of your self righteous high horse? I just think that if a guy won't talk to his mother, he may not be the easiest guy to negotiate a contract with (we're not talking about a guy that doesn't talk to his college buddy, but his own mom).   His mom was an alcoholic? Wow! That is pretty bad!! There are no alcoholics on the planet - she must of been the Devil. And she abandoned him? She must of left him in a card board box or something. He must of crawled out of that box, fed himself, fought for his life, learned how to play football, went to a 40k a year school and then managed to get drafted and make millions upon millions of dollars. Heck the Saints should give him a billion dollars for that, maybe they should just put his name on the dead to the city (for all he has done for them and all).
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

You shouldn't judge his relationship with his mother.

He made his choice, and he lives with it, just like his mother did.

Because other people forgive their alcoholic parents, he should? Because other people have forgiven selfish, abondoning parent, he should? Why? Sometimes, family or not, people cause you so much pain you have to make the decision to cut ties. Just because this woman had sex, got pregant, and popped him into a hospital, she gets lifetime forgiveness? I think not. Being a parent is more than being biologically connected. If she didn't nurture those bonds, she doesn't deserve the relationship and he shouldn't be viewed in a bad light because of it. It's their situation, not ours to judge. He lived the situation, he made his choice, he's not asking you to live it.

As far as the contract, this seems odd. It's almost as if Breese was trying to force his way out of town by making outrageous demands so he could leave without being the bad guy. Maybe he really is disgusted by the bountygate thing, but won't bury his team publicly. At any rate, he's nailing himself to the cross if he costs the team his own Pro Bowl guard. That's not intelligent.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

and remember Brees is a "very good" quarterback, not a great one.  Remember Loomis the doofus words?

way to make for harmonious negotiations

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nonola. Show nonola's posts

Benson, Loomis, Payton., Brees nor anyone else is speaking. There was a half assed apology to the owner by the GM and caoch but nothing to the fans down here. I've tried discussing with my friends the spy v bounty gate thing. Most get it except for the die hard close minded saints lover. They know this is worse. The Brees negotiations have been pushed aside for the time being. His turning down a 5 yr 95 mil deal that was a Brady deal split equally thru the years. He was willing to except the money as long as 75 mill plus came in the first 3 years. The saints already had cap problems with all the expiring contracts for important players. Yeah, that's a Loomis screw up but it's only now that saints fans are seeing him for what he is. So adding 20-25 mil to the cap ain't gonna happen. All this said, Brees is often times a great ambassador for our city. But, every once and awhile he let's slip that it all about him. Unlike Brady, the Mannings and Rodgers, Brees talks about individual records as if they mean something. I am not a big fan of saints football which I've always found chippy and dirty. I'm not a fan of Sean Payton and his running up scores and leaving Brees in games up by 48 points in the fourth quarter. He is arrogant to a fault. And I'm not a fan of drew Brees and his oh this record is so special attitude. As a friend of mine who is close to Marino said jeez let's throw a 100 more passes and skip tha asterisk.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

I think before anyone judges Brees' relationship with his mother, they ought to do some research.  And if after a little reading you still question his feelings, it would be best to remember that you don't know everything.  He does. 

I am not going to say Drew Brees is a boy scout.  I have no idea.  but I will say he's done nothing but project a positive image as it relates to his team and the city he now lives and plays in. 

Again - as it relates to the contract, this is all about Condon.  We have no idea what Brees may be comfortable with, but we do know that Condon will squeeze every last dime out of it. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]Benson, Loomis, Payton., Brees nor anyone else is speaking. There was a half assed apology to the owner by the GM and caoch but nothing to the fans down here. I've tried discussing with my friends the spy v bounty gate thing. Most get it except for the die hard close minded saints lover. They know this is worse. The Brees negotiations have been pushed aside for the time being. His turning down a 5 yr 95 mil deal that was a Brady deal split equally thru the years. He was willing to except the money as long as 75 mill plus came in the first 3 years. The saints already had cap problems with all the expiring contracts for important players. Yeah, that's a Loomis screw up but it's only now that saints fans are seeing him for what he is. So adding 20-25 mil to the cap ain't gonna happen. All this said, Brees is often times a great ambassador for our city. But, every once and awhile he let's slip that it all about him. Unlike Brady, the Mannings and Rodgers, Brees talks about individual records as if they mean something. I am not a big fan of saints football which I've always found chippy and dirty. I'm not a fan of Sean Payton and his running up scores and leaving Brees in games up by 48 points in the fourth quarter. He is arrogant to a fault. And I'm not a fan of drew Brees and his oh this record is so special attitude. As a friend of mine who is close to Marino said jeez let's throw a 100 more passes and skip tha asterisk.
    Posted by nonola[/QUOTE]

NOLA, on a different subject, and I know there are some dissenting opinions out there, but I was at the Hornets Pacers game on Mardi Gras, and the Hornets Mardi Gras Unis are the coolest I have ever seen. 

I am considering buying one although I am not a fan of the team.  Thoughts?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nonola. Show nonola's posts

In response to "Re: Brees about to screw the Saints chances for more.....": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brees about to screw the Saints chances for more..... : NOLA, on a different subject, and I know there are some dissenting opinions out there, but I was at the Hornets Pacers game on Mardi Gras, and the Hornets Mardi Gras Unis are the coolest I have ever seen.  I am considering buying one although I am not a fan of the team.  Thoughts? Posted by UD6[/QUOTE] Alright UD it took awile for me to stop laughing. Those were the ugliest things I'd ever seen. But as u know the purple green and gold colors of Mardi Gras are well represented year round down here. Except for the saints and hornets all sports teams use one or more of these colors in their uniforms. The yearly wearing of the hornets Mardi Gras colors thankfully is just that. My thoughts? No

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

I understand.  Takes all kinds in this world, but I thought they were awesome. 

Sections
Shortcuts