Notice: All Boston.com forums will be retired as of May 31st, 2016 and will not be archived. Thank you for your participation in this community, and we hope you continue to enjoy other content at Boston.com.

Brian Billick calls pats "pedestrian"

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Re: Brian Billick calls pats

And since we're now on page 3 of posts , many of which quasi-agree with billick... Lets take this moment to sum up the thust of their position:

Tom Brady is so good that everyone around him instantly looks like dyslexic bastid stepchildren.

Tom Brady is so good that we believe that if every other player was dull and commonplace , he could still lead the NFL in offense, points, yards.

Tom Brady is so good that running backs magically gain yards and receivers have balls land in their laps.

I call this Brady on the brain, and people like babe love to say "learn the game"....  Lol.

fact is... It takes a great supporting cast to do what patriots offense is doing.  And it takes great coaching to prepare these players to succeed at this level. 

This team is coming together right now but still flying under the radar... Which is good... But I still like ripping the ignorant pundits.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Self loathing, hatred towards our own players on BDC, I never would have thunk it...

The Pat's are one of the best rushing teams in the NFL, I haven't seen Brady out there run blocking. They lead the league in turnovers, I don't remember Brady out there on defense lowering his helmet into a runner and making him cough up the ball.  

Are Hernandez, Gronk, Wilfork, Mayo, Welker, and the other 52 players on our roster average..?  

Didn't think so.  Billick gets paid to talk and often they run out of things to say, he wishes he had the overwhelming success that BB does but instead he got real lucky to have Ozzie Newsome as a GM which allowed Billick to have his one hit wonder of a season... pedestrian... that about sums up his career.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

In response to coolade2's comment:

Tom Brady is so good that we believe that if every other player was dull and commonplace , he could still lead the NFL in offense, points, yards.

What you're missing is that every team with a nearly .500 record has some star players. Billick is saying our team is the same. It has some star players. But it is Brady that makes the big difference.

You seem to think "pedestrian" means terrible. It simply means "the norm" - average - typical.

Learn the language.  Look up the word.  It does not mean average, it means pedestrian...  Dull, without imagination, commonplace.  Its an insult to every player on the team. 

Billick is saying any jacka$$ can assemble 10 players with Brady and bang lead the league in offense.  It's beyond dumb.  It's ignorance of the game that he condescendingly pretends to know.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from emilycuba33. Show emilycuba33's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

It depends on what the guy is actually talking about...is he talking about the offense? Is he talking about the defense? Or is he talking about the team overrall?

If he is talking about the offense then he is a moron. Welker, Gronk, and Hernandez are pretty special players. Ridley is not chopped liver and Woodhead and Vareen are pretty good third down backs. Our offensive line has a left tackle that may have as much talent as anyone in football.

If he is factoring in the defense, then I do think they are average enough to perhaps bring the whole team down to a lower level, however I wouldn't call it a pedestrian level. If he is just talking about the talent of the defense alone, then I do think he and others that are not from the area would call it pedestrian. 

Billick for the most part has been pretty pro Patriots from what I've seen unless we are playing the Ravens. The same can be said for when Aikman bashed our defense last year calling them the worst he's seen make the playoffs (Aikman has always been fair). I would NOT call this team pedestrian, but I would certainly call our defense that...or even worse. 

I don't consider 32 takeaways pedestrian!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

Billick needs to stay on his meds.  He is an angry old coach that likes to shoot off his mouth.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

And since we're now on page 3 of posts , many of which quasi-agree with billick... Lets take this moment to sum up the thust of their position:

Tom Brady is so good that everyone around him instantly looks like dyslexic bastid stepchildren.

Tom Brady is so good that running backs magically gain yards and receivers have balls land in their laps.

I call this Brady on the brain, and people like babe love to say "learn the game"....  Lol.

fact is... It takes a great supporting cast to do what patriots offense is doing.  And it takes great coaching to prepare these players to succeed at this level. 

This team is coming together right now but still flying under the radar... Which is good... But I still like ripping the ignorant pundits.

I can't speak for others but i do not believe that the Pats have a weak supporting cast around Brady. I believe his current offensive cast when healthy is probably the best he has ever had. The only weakness in comparison may be on the offensive line which is pretty dinged up but is still doing a fine job. There is no game changing threat like Moss on this squad but it's deeper everywhere else. I love this Pats offense but I do not believe Jags like Cassel could ever be as sucessful as Brady with this offense and defense, which can still struggle mightily at times. Rodgers would be fine and so would Brees and Peyton Manning. They have had powerful offenses year after year but the Pats have traditionally won more than them so i put Brady above them but in 4 years Rodgers or Luck will no doubt be better if they can stay healthy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Funny, "pedestrian team's don't score points like the Pat's do and have now for the better part of the last decade. Nor do pedestrian teams finish either 1st or 2nd in their division for a decade.

New's flash name the last team that won a super bowl with a pedestrian QB...yup that would be Billick's own Baltimore Ravens. A team that today with new Colt's rule where the Refs are now caling the game tigher with the emphesis on down field contact...Would likely not have won a superbowl...

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

????????

How is that a big slight? The Pats offense has talent as key positions, sure. Premium talent. 

So don't ... say ... the Vikings. Who have Adrian Peterson, the best RB in the game and a HOF candidate, and Percy Harvin, who is one of the most devastating WRs in the league deep and in the open field. Or look at the Eagles ... DeSean Jackson, LeshonMcCoy AND Maclin. 

The difference is Christian Ponder and Vick vs someone like Brady, Rogers, et al. 

I can, in the same breath, say that Gronk is special, Welker is great, Hernandez is very good and so is Ridley, Lloyd, but also realize there are teams with better overall talent outside the the QB. 

With an average QB, I would say this offense would be ... pretty average. Sorry. This isn't the 1989 49ers with a HOFer at each position on the offense. 

Thanks for making my point...  By pointing out the "premium talent " , these players should not be called pedestrian, and yes it is an insult.

And your hypothetical is ridiculous since there is no way to know because of the myriad of variables ... Statements like that are condescending know it all type commentary... Kind of like Billick... No wonder you agree with him...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

If there were a way to measure pure "talent" the Patriot's would rank among the top 5 teams in the NFL.  The only people who would disagree with this would the be the haters from outside (Billick) or the self hating "Belichick can't draft" types here...

It doesn't surprise me when a self loathing thread like this gathers traction, there are plenty of pink hats here with little resolve and who are waiting for their nuts to drop.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

The Pats have the best offense in the NFL and one of the worst defenses. Overall they seem to be in the mix every year so maybe that makes them better than "pedestrian". I'd say that "pretty darn good" might be closer to the truth.

Sections
Shortcuts