Brian Hoyer: Future of the franchise

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

Brian Hoyer: Future of the franchise

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-trippinwednesday060210

Given the growing disconnect between Brady's perceived worth of himself and Pats dislike of giving fat contracts to older players, it has always seemed to me to be a fairy tale to assume that Brady will become the second highest player in the history of the game (after Peyton Manning's impending $20m a year contract). Everyone knows it's going to take $17m-$18m a year to sign Brady and the fact is the Pats are not going to do it and some other team will.

Given that I want to explore what our alternative plans are going forward. How good is Brian Hoyer. What are the 1st round QBs available in 2011 draft to be used with Oakland's draft pick or what Free Agent QBs we could possibly bring in for the 2011 season.

BTW for all of you who keep asking "Will Brady retire a Patriot?" and then nod your head and emphatically say "Yes!", what if you phrased the question like this "Will Pats give Brady a 5 year $90m, $18m a year, deal?". And then you might say "Errrrrrrr don't think so". And then if I ask "Will Brady be paid less than both Philip Rivers and Eli Manning?" And then you start putting two and two together.....................

Cheers.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: Brian Hoyer: Future of the franchise

I seriously doubt Hoyer will be the future of the franchise. He's not the build for a Belichick QB-- 6'4, 220-230 pounds, accurate, takes care of the ball. 

If Kraft lets Brady hit Free Agency Brady will sign with the 49ers, for sure. Maybe the Pats will draft Jake Locker, but the Pats need to figure out what they are doing. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I have ZERO worries that Brady will not be signed.  Hoyer is future trade bait like Cassel was, that is all.  Our future QB, in the Post Brady Ers will be drafted in 2-3 years barring a major injury. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I still liked Cassel better.  He threw better.  Not better than Brady in 2003-2004, but better than the Brady from 2006-2009.  And I know 2007 was record setting.  That had more to do with teams being afraid of Moss than anything else.  Look what happened when they stopped being afraid.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

What nonsense.  Brady is not going anywhere.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Re: Brian Hoyer: Future of the franchise:
    What nonsense.  Brady is not going anywhere.
    Posted by 123meg
    123meg I concur with your line of thought,as I don't believe Tom is going anywhere's. He might long for playing in front of his eldest son but no way is Kraft dumb enough to let him walk away at least not for nothing,if the 49ers offered a kings ransom I'm sure it would at least be discussed amongst he and BB to see what the prospects are. After about two minutes of talking the decision would remain the same Tom Brady stays in place.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

of all the ridiculous posts we've seen on here...this is near the top. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

Hi 123meg, 1. Pats won't pay Brady $18m a year 2. Brady won't take less than Philip Rivers or Eli Manning 3. Some other team will pay Brady $18m a year. Q.E.D. Which of the 3 statements is not true.
    Posted by murghkhor

All three of these statement aren't true.  They'll pay Tom. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

123meg, u are correct.
    murghkhor, u are such a downer.  Wrong too, but a downer.  Is the world going to end?  Are all days blue to you?  Go out and be happy.  Pats will keep Brady here. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

I still liked Cassel better.  He threw better.  Not better than Brady in 2003-2004, but better than the Brady from 2006-2009.  And I know 2007 was record setting.  That had more to do with teams being afraid of Moss than anything else.  Look what happened when they stopped being afraid.
    Posted by Davedsone

Uhh, Matt Cassel has never been as good nor has he thrown as well as Brady did throughout 2007. Maybe you can compare to 2009, I could see that. But in 2007, even though Brady began lofting passes for the heck of it towards the end of the season, his accuracy was at a much higher level than anything we saw Cassel throw throughout a particular stretch of games when he started for New England.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Where do you people come from? The Pats are hardly going to let a future HOF QB walk out of here. He just came off his 2nd best year numbers wise, and this was coming back from a major injury.

He is still EASILY one of the top 5...(if not top 3) QBs in the NFL. He will get his contract here....GUARANTEED. Lay off the crack people....it will kill you. Laughing

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZachRudy. Show ZachRudy's posts

1.       Robert Craft will pay Brady $17 - $18M a year.  Letting Brady walk would leave Craft and the Pats as the laughing stock of the NFL.2.       I think Brady wants a fair deal.  He is not looking to break the bank.  He has said on numerous occasions that football players are overpaid for what they do, which is play a game for a living.3.       Of coarse other teams would pay Brady $17 - $18M a year, but the Pats won’t let it get that far.  They would use the franchise tag if need be and that would only be to further discussions through a questionable 2011. One of the major factors holding up a new contract is the 30% rule.  The Pats will have to get creative but a fair deal will get done. 

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

I got news for ya we're using Oaklands pick for the running back Inghram not a QB.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Sorry, people. If Brady hits FA he's gone. The 49ers will try their hardest to get him into their uniform. 

The 9ers have the cap space to sign Brady to a 5 year 20 mill contract, and I doubt Belichick franchises Tom. The Pats would probably get a discount of 16 mill a year for Brady's services, but if the Pats franchise him they'll have to pay him 20 mill. That would defeat the purpose of not signing him to that 5 year 100 mill or the hometown 5 year 80 mill contract in the first place. 

I seriously doubt Brady likes to see chumps like Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger make more money than him. Brady's wife can drink Brady's yearly income in a night. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsordie. Show patsordie's posts

Where do you people come from? The Pats are hardly going to let a future HOF QB walk out of here. He just came off his 2nd best year numbers wise, and this was coming back from a major injury. He is still EASILY one of the top 5...(if not top 3) QBs in the NFL. He will get his contract here....GUARANTEED. Lay off the crack people....it will kill you.
    Posted by tanbass

top 5 or top 3? I would consider P.Manning, but who are the other 3 you are talking about?

Just because some reporter having to stir something during the off-season writes about a disconnect between Brady and the Pats, people have to create a thread about the next franchise QB. That is stupid. Wait untile either Brady's agents or the Pats say something.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Certainly, Kraft has publically declared his desire to keep Brady. But that doesn't imply that he'd keep Brady FOREVER if he did successfully sign him to a contract. In addition, noone really knows what Brady wants. Sure, he's declared his desire to stay with the Patriots - so, things are looking good so far.

However, funnier things have happened - so, in the end - I wouldn't be surprised to see Brady in a different uniform one day (but he'd still end up as a Patriot via a one day contract).

That being said - give Hoyer a chance.....I don't think anyone has seen enough of him to say yea or nay.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from R3S1N20. Show R3S1N20's posts

i swear, the people that come up with these ideas or think brady isnt going to finish his career as a patriot, they HAVE TO be jets fans or something.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

Brady cares about his legacy more then his Paycheck at this point. Hes in the league to be the best ever, not the highest paid. there is no way he leaves the solid foundation win at all costs patriots to move to a team that hasn't won anything in a decade.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In Response to Re: Brian Hoyer: Future of the franchise : I couldn't disagree more.  What you are saying is: 1. Brady feels he has to be the highest paid QB after taking less than Egghead Manning specifically to make it easier for BB to structure deals. 2.  Brady is now putting ego above the reason of why he plays. You may very well be correct, but I just don't see it.   Sorry, but I don't see someone with Brady's money, his wife's money, his integrity, his class, etc, as some guy all of a sudden at age 33, to take off to collect paychecks playing for an inferior organization. Not buying it. I don't think Brady equates paycheck size to why he plays this game.  He's arguably the best, arguably the best ever, and he doesn't need the most money to reflect this idea.
    Posted by russgriswold

I hope you're right, but the 9ers aren't an inferior franchise. They are a QB away from returning to greatness. And I'm sure Jerry Rice, Joe Montana and Steve Young would make a pretty persuasive offer to  guy who grew up idolizing them. It may be the first time Steve Young and Joe Cool talk in a long while. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

Unless Montana, Rice and Young are planning on coming out of retirement to join the Niners its hard to believe "they would make a pretty persuasive offer" to anybody.  And that team is more than a QB away from "greatness" as well.  A nice rumor to float but its not happening. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Brady will be at least 20 mil per, bank on it.

The single Brady MAY have taken less...

The married, father, Brady will NOT.....

I do think the Pats will sign him but it will be market rate, nothing more, nothing less.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coolguy55220. Show Coolguy55220's posts

Bill has 100% power when it comes to picking his players... but if bill was against keeping brady, i think kraft (the businessman) would def. have a problem with that. He knows that brady is the #1 asset on this team @ the MOST IMPORTANT POSITION in FOOTBALL. Brady will get what he wants... NO DOUBT ABOUT IT.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

The 33 yr old father and husband is thinking "The extra space my last contract created never helped us anyway. This is my last contract essentially and I need to think of the future of my 2 kids and what I can do for them. I still want to help the team but I am not going to be stupid by taking less than Philip Rivers or Eli Manning".

First of all, the extra space his last contract created allowed the team to sign Moss.  Secondly, it might be worth noting that with respect to the future of his two kids, his wife makes $30+ million a year.  They'll pay him what he's worth.  Kraft knows what will happen to that consecutive sell out streak and season ticket waiting list if they allow the greatest player in the history of the franchise to leave. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In regards to the "growing disconnect"....

Any journalist or media type that claims to know what's going on between TB, BB and Robert Kraft in regards to negotiations and/or a contract, is blowing smoke. 

TB and BB, you know the two main people involved, don't comment on these things publically so Michael Silver and the rest of the talking heads throw sh*t against a wall to stur up public interest.