Brian Hoyer's Trade Value.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DuncanOrange. Show DuncanOrange's posts

Brian Hoyer's Trade Value.....

According to ESPN a lot of NFL teams are high on this guy.   I don't see him going anywhere this season because of all the QB's drafted in the first round.  But next season, hopefully the Patriots are up a lot in the 4th quarter, and lock down first seed again before the last two weeks, so Hoyer gets real snaps to increase his value.      

Next season there are only really two elite QB's prospects coming out of college.  Andrew Luck and Matt Barkley out of USC.  Barkley is the best USC QB prospect since Palmer and if he continues to develop could be an even better prospect.  He might be compelled to return for his senior season since USC will then be finally able to compete for a national championship.       

If the hype around scouts and GMs on Hoyer continues to grow, hopefully we get another 2nd round pick for the war chest which allow Mallett to be our number 2 QB in the 2012 season.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Re: Brian Hoyer's Trade Value.....

I think his value will be determined by what Kolb is traded for. looking at this years draft, i personally feel that kolb has at least more upside than dalton, kaepernick and ponder. That being said, had there not been a lock out, i think Kolb couldve been traded for at least a 1st round pick.

Now, depending on how well Hoyer plays during whenever he gets his snaps, I think he could be worth a second.

As of right now, maybe hes worth a 3rd or 4th. but i still think teams wanna see more out of him before they trade for him

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DuncanOrange. Show DuncanOrange's posts

A lot will also depend on QB situations for several teams.    

- Seattle

- Buffalo ( I think Fitzpatrick can be a solid starter, capable of leading a team into the playoffs with a solid defense.)  But if regresses to the journeyman he's been so far in his career, then Buffalo continues its QB search. 

- Miami

- Browns.  Colt McCoy plays like Flutie, making incredible plays, but as the long term answer at QB, I don't know.  If the Browns go 6-10 or worse under McCoy's watch, they could be searching for a QB answer. 

- Denver.  Clearly they're not sold on Orton.  If Tebow starts and can't get them to .500, they might be looking elsewhere for QB. 

- Raiders. 

- Arizona

- Washington

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

Hoyer would land us a 2nd rounder....I wouldn't trade him till next year though...I want mallett to get a year under our system 1st before we trade hoyer for picks....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

In Response to Re: Brian Hoyer's Trade Value.....:
    Hoyer would land us a 2nd rounder....I wouldn't trade him till next year though...I want mallett to get a year under our system 1st before we trade hoyer for picks....
    Posted by dmcpatsfan

Not a chance Hoyer lands a 2nd, unless he plays lights out in the preseason or gets significant reg. season playing time and aquitts himself well.  Cassell+Vrabel netted the Pats a 2nd after a full season of 11-5 football, and while I think Hoyer has similar skills, other teams won't be willing to part with more than a 4th for an player who's totaly unproven in important games.  Again, not saying this can't change, but right now and even going into next year i'd be shocked if he could fetch more than a 4th....my 2c

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

Mike Shanahan spent some time in our preseason camp so I think he may have a good idea what he has in Hoyer. I'd say him and BB are close enough to make a trade with a fair degree of trust.

Could be that Washington did not draft a QB because Hoyer is already promised to them. I'd say a 3rd next year gets it done.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jh13. Show jh13's posts

Cassell also came with a huge salary since he was franchised.  Hoyer won't come with that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Brian Hoyer's Trade Value.....:
    According to ESPN a lot of NFL teams are high on this guy.   I don't see him going anywhere this season because of all the QB's drafted in the first round.  But next season, hopefully the Patriots are up a lot in the 4th quarter, and lock down first seed again before the last two weeks, so Hoyer gets real snaps to increase his value.       Next season there are only really two elite QB's prospects coming out of college.  Andrew Luck and Matt Barkley out of USC.  Barkley is the best USC QB prospect since Palmer and if he continues to develop could be an even better prospect.  He might be compelled to return for his senior season since USC will then be finally able to compete for a national championship.        If the hype around scouts and GMs on Hoyer continues to grow, hopefully we get another 2nd round pick for the war chest which allow Mallett to be our number 2 QB in the 2012 season.  
    Posted by DuncanOrange

Depends on whether BB is going to keep 3 QBs on the roster or not. I would imagine that BB will invite quite a few players to camp this pre-season to shore up our OL, DL, and OLBs. Hoyer obviously becomes expendable if keeping only 2 Bs. If released, I'm sure someone will pick him up - but I'm not sure how much trade value he has - as he is quite unproven.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

According to ESPN a lot of NFL teams are high on this guy.   I don't see him going anywhere this season because of all the QB's drafted in the first round.  But next season, hopefully the Patriots are up a lot in the 4th quarter, and lock down first seed again before the last two weeks, so Hoyer gets real snaps to increase his value.       Next season there are only really two elite QB's prospects coming out of college.  Andrew Luck and Matt Barkley out of USC.  Barkley is the best USC QB prospect since Palmer and if he continues to develop could be an even better prospect.  He might be compelled to return for his senior season since USC will then be finally able to compete for a national championship.        If the hype around scouts and GMs on Hoyer continues to grow, hopefully we get another 2nd round pick for the war chest which allow Mallett to be our number 2 QB in the 2012 season.  
    Posted by DuncanOrange

he'll be third string if he stays with NE in 2011, mallet will beat him out and BB will cut him

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

Posted by DuncanOrange

The problem is that he is very unlikely to get any meaningful regular season snaps unless Brady is injured.  Going on history Brady usually plays right to the end-of-game kneel-downs, even with a large lead.  So, he'll get game-time in the preseason, but that isn't a very good gauge of how he would do against a first-team defense in a meaningful game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DuncanOrange. Show DuncanOrange's posts

It would be hard for Washington to justify trading for another QB after the McNabb disaster last season where they used a 2nd rounder and spent millions for an over the hill QB.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

Hoyer has more trade value than you guys are giving him credit for....he was successful in college...he's actually played both preseason & in regular games in the NFL & been under the tutalege of Brady & Bill B., not only that, Bill has shown his confidence in him by having him as the only back up QB to Brady....

cassell is proof that the system works in NE at developing QB's....& the huge cap hit is what kept Cassell from netting us a 1st....& if bill had of been willing to get in a bidding war with KC/Pioli & JMD @ Denver we probably could have gotten more as well but Bill wouldn't do that to Pioli....

Look what people did this year in the draft for a bunch of nobodies & what Seattle gave up to get Whitehurst!!!!

2nd rounder all day.....IMO

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Hoyer's value? Dunno, some belly lint and an old pretzel from under the couch cushion?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Hoyer has more trade value than you guys are giving him credit for....he was successful in college...he's actually played both preseason & in regular games in the NFL & been under the tutalege of Brady & Bill B., not only that, Bill has shown his confidence in him by having him as the only back up QB to Brady.... cassell is proof that the system works in NE at developing QB's....& the huge cap hit is what kept Cassell from netting us a 1st....& if bill had of been willing to get in a bidding war with KC/Pioli & JMD @ Denver we probably could have gotten more as well but Bill wouldn't do that to Pioli.... Look what people did this year in the draft for a bunch of nobodies & what Seattle gave up to get Whitehurst!!!! 2nd rounder all day.....IMO
    Posted by dmcpatsfan

Cassel is proof of very little. Other than when playing the NFC and AFC West a lot, he has done poorly. BB is no builder of great QBs, otherwise Rohan Davey would not have stank so bad.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

What many are failing to realize, and I'm unsure if it's been mentioned or not, Is that regardless of Ryan Mallet's off-field garbage, and I gotta say I'm not even a fan of his Drew Bledsoe skill-set, BUT still, IN Belichick trading up in order to nab Ryan Mallet, who was a 1st rd rated QB with crazy potential, Belichick did 2 things:  #1 He gave HIMSELF options at the back-up QB spot, and/or more options in whom he views could possibly be the successor to groom behind Brady, BUT #2 The MUCH overlooked aspect is...IN BB having simply so many picks to throw around, whether BB even LIKES Ryan Mallet or not, the simple fact remains:  Ryan Mallet WAS a 1st rd rated QB, and there's not many of these guys a team can even "potentially" build a QB around...AND (and here's the kicker) 2 of BB's AFC East Rivals whom he plays twice each and every year, accounting for 1/4 of his Regular Season Schedule, NEEDED a decent QB-Miami and Buffalo...  So in Belichick pulling the trigger in order to jump up aand nab Mallet, He has BOTH given himself options, given himself and his team MORE options, And He made it so that IF he does actually want to trade Hoyer OR Mallet, it would then be his choice to keep a 1st rd prospect entirely away from any and all division rivals...  Like the Mallet selection or not (and I don't...for NE), you had better believe that this ran through Belichick's mind.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Picking up a really good quarterback is the single most effective way to turn a team around.  Half the teams in the NFL are out pleading at the alter of their Football Gods, "just gimme a time machine and we wouldn't have chosen the Sanchise",  "why didn't we draft someone to replace Chad Henne?", "Fitzpatrick, for the whole year?", "we can't survive a year with Tim Tebow", "no Brett Favre?  We're doomed!", "What if Blaine Gabbert can't really play at the NFL level?".

Hoyer was one of only two quarterbacks on a 14-2 team.  Belichick's raw confidence in a Brady-Hoyer duo should be enough to spark bidding for the guy. 
    There were valid excuses why Hoyer held the clipboard; the guy in front of him had only 1 interception in his last 500 pass attempts. 

It's not like BB wants to unload Hoyer at the first orphanage he sees.  A team that wants an experienced, good quality quarterback with 2 or 3 years in the NFL, a guy with excellent mentors, is going to have to pay through the nose.  BB never trades players for charity.  He trades so that his own team wins more games.  However, if some other team is desperate enough to make a strong offer, he'll pull the trigger on the trade.  I think that he might spring for two first rounders.

So, what'll it be, Minnesota?  Do you want to win a few games, and the coach and GM both get to keep their jobs, or do you want to stink up your dome until the roof falls in?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

I predict BB will trade Hoyer within the next 18 months for a second or 3rd round pick.  It will "payback" his investment in mallet, continue to keep the team young and fresh, add to the opportunity to hit a homerun with more picks, and save some $ under the cap.  He may very well wait until into the season once a team gets desperate, or after the season once mallet gets some learning of the system in...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

In Response to Re: Brian Hoyer's Trade Value..... : Cassel is proof of very little. Other than when playing the NFC and AFC West a lot, he has done poorly. BB is no builder of great QBs, otherwise Rohan Davey would not have stank so bad.
    Posted by BabeParilli

Although he didn't have a great NFL career Rohan Davey had a solid college career and was stuck behind 2 good QB's in New England.
    Davey won the World Bowl in 2004 playing in NFL Europe while on loan to develop from the Pats and he also won Player of the Year while playing for Berlin.
    When he came back he lost the second string job to a kid named Flutie and then lost the third string slot to Matt Cassels and was cut. Just sayin.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Brian Hoyer can play in this league.  The PATS should keep him.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

Personally, I have NO PROBLEM with Hoyer or the pick up of Mallet...I enjoy knowing we have quality & depth at QB on our team....let them continue to develop behind Brady surrounded by high character & excellent talent/coaching & let teams come to us with offers....carrying 3 QB's is not a bad thing to do & we've been LUCKY Brady hasn't been hurt more than he has due to the size & speed of todays NFL defenders....Brady IS awesome but he's been nursing injuries every year & isn't getting any younger so I'm in no hurry to part ways with any of our guys....at least till the price is right!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I am of the opinion that Mallett will beat out Hoyer for the #2 position THIS YEAR.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

I agree, Mallett will beat out Hoyer...I also bet he'll keep Brady on his toes as well....I love that we got much needed depth & talent behind Brady!!!
    I hope this pre season gets under way soon...I'd love to see those 2(Mallett & Hoyer) battling it out in 4 pre season games for the #2 spot...I bet it would be a heated one....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I predict BB will trade Hoyer within the next 18 months for a second or 3rd round pick.  It will "payback" his investment in mallet, continue to keep the team young and fresh, add to the opportunity to hit a homerun with more picks, and save some $ under the cap.  He may very well wait until into the season once a team gets desperate, or after the season once mallet gets some learning of the system in...
    Posted by fl+adam,

Zero chnce anybody will give up a 2nd rounder for Hoyer, unless they are insane - or a 3rd.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

Hoyer can play and will be a starting QB in the league some day, but that's not the issue.  His value on the trade market will be determined by how many teams are in need of a QB.  I'm guessing there would be at least 3 or 4 teams interested, and that will only drive up his trade value.  A 2nd round pick would be plenty good enough of a return for Belichick. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: Brian Hoyer's Trade Value..... : Although he didn't have a great NFL career Rohan Davey had a solid college career and was stuck behind 2 good QB's in New England. Davey won the World Bowl in 2004 playing in NFL Europe while on loan to develop from the Pats and he also won Player of the Year while playing for Berlin. When he came back he lost the second string job to a kid named Flutie and then lost the third string slot to Matt Cassels and was cut. Just sayin.
    Posted by ROWDYRODRUST

Jamarcus Russel had a solid college career, so that is what that is worth. When put on the field Davey didn't produce or he would have stayed. Bottom line.

Sections
Shortcuts