Brian Hoyer's Trade Value.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Re: Brian Hoyer's Trade Value.....

In Response to Re: Brian Hoyer's Trade Value.....:
    [QUOTE]Picking up a really good quarterback is the single most effective way to turn a team around.  Half the teams in the NFL are out pleading at the alter of their Football Gods, "just gimme a time machine and we wouldn't have chosen the Sanchise",  "why didn't we draft someone to replace Chad Henne?", "Fitzpatrick, for the whole year?", "we can't survive a year with Tim Tebow", "no Brett Favre?  We're doomed!", "What if Blaine Gabbert can't really play at the NFL level?". Hoyer was one of only two quarterbacks on a 14-2 team.  Belichick's raw confidence in a Brady-Hoyer duo should be enough to spark bidding for the guy.  There were valid excuses why Hoyer held the clipboard; the guy in front of him had only 1 interception in his last 500 pass attempts.  It's not like BB wants to unload Hoyer at the first orphanage he sees.  A team that wants an experienced, good quality quarterback with 2 or 3 years in the NFL, a guy with excellent mentors, is going to have to pay through the nose.  BB never trades players for charity.  He trades so that his own team wins more games.  However, if some other team is desperate enough to make a strong offer, he'll pull the trigger on the trade.  I think that he might spring for two first rounders. So, what'll it be, Minnesota?  Do you want to win a few games, and the coach and GM both get to keep their jobs, or do you want to stink up your dome until the roof falls in?
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

Why?  because Sanchez has been to 2 AFCCG's in his two years?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I just don't understand the logic here. Hoyer is an unproven scrub, but people think somebody will squander away a 2nd rounder on him. Classic overrating a player. Happens a lot.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

Who would you rather have.  An entirely unproven 3rd round pick to draft a QB you need to use, or one who has been the understudy to brady under BB for 2+ years, and has done "fine" when he has gotten the chance to play.  Asking for a 1st round pick...no way.  A second...probably not unless my first 2 qb's just went down.  but a 3rd...why not.  I'd rather have the guy that has been seasoned.  Less risk by far.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

A don't see Hoyer as worth a 2nd round pick. That's what Cassell was worth after he actually played close to a full REAL season of NFL football. Has anyone actually seen Hoyer play a full regular season game (not mop up time) ?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

Cassell was carrying a 17 mill. dollar tag too....Hoyer would be much less of a finacial risk with tons of potential....more yhan some of these other guys drafted before Mallett.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from flag-waiver. Show flag-waiver's posts

You keep Hoyer for now, if Brady gets injury and out for awhile, you know Hoyer can carry the load. Things happen in sports you don't like here about, that's why it's always wise to have a capable backup. You never know when your number is called......Pats draft was excellent......now free agency will be interesting.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from flag-waiver. Show flag-waiver's posts

[QUOTE]I am of the opinion that Mallett will beat out Hoyer for the #2 position THIS YEAR.
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]
    We will see how excited and learnful Mallett is with the Pats system. It's going to fun watching this guy throw the ball 80 yards down field.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]Who would you rather have.  An entirely unproven 3rd round pick to draft a QB you need to use, or one who has been the understudy to brady under BB for 2+ years, and has done "fine" when he has gotten the chance to play.  Asking for a 1st round pick...no way.  A second...probably not unless my first 2 qb's just went down.  but a 3rd...why not.  I'd rather have the guy that has been seasoned.  Less risk by far.
    Posted by adam4522[/QUOTE]

I suspect most would take their chances on the 3rd round pick rather than trade it for BB's scrub. Hell, we just got the best QB in the whole damn draft with a 3rd according to some.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]Cassell was carrying a 17 mill. dollar tag too....Hoyer would be much less of a finacial risk with tons of potential....more yhan some of these other guys drafted before Mallett.
    Posted by dmcpatsfan[/QUOTE]

Why does he have any more potential than any other guy who hasn't done jack?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

Hoyer has more value/potential thanany other guy who hasn't done jack because he's been exposed to NFL talent for 2+ yeard behind the best QB in football under the best coach in football....NONE of the other guys can even come close to matching that....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]Hoyer has more value/potential thanany other guy who hasn't done jack because he's been exposed to NFL talent for 2+ yeard behind the best QB in football under the best coach in football....NONE of the other guys can even come close to matching that....
    Posted by dmcpatsfan[/QUOTE]

Being exposed to NFL talent for 2+ yeard behind the best QB in football under the best coach in football didn't do anything for a long list of players. But somehow Hoyer is worth a 2nd or 3rd rounder. That is a pipe dream.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

To a fringe playoff team who just lost their franchise QB to a season ending injury?  Next years 2nd or 3rd pick won't help you now....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

Hoyer is a QB, the most valuable assett to a team, not a long list of random players at random positions....a QB!!! Look at what teams drafted this year hunting for help & hope....I guess we'll agree to disagree & by the way I'm right....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RonMex2. Show RonMex2's posts

I like Hoyer, I think Mallet will struggle to get the number 2 job...I saw a great story on Hoyer at

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

Brady-Hoyer-Mallett....what a nice problem to have....most teams don't even have a good starter & no backup....Pats are stacked!!!
    Hoyer will get the patriots either a 2nd or a 3rd & 4th when & if bill decides it's time to trade him, my guess is a 2nd though....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]What many are failing to realize, and I'm unsure if it's been mentioned or not, Is that regardless of Ryan Mallet's off-field garbage, and I gotta say I'm not even a fan of his Drew Bledsoe skill-set, BUT still, IN Belichick trading up in order to nab Ryan Mallet, who was a 1st rd rated QB with crazy potential, Belichick did 2 things:  #1 He gave HIMSELF options at the back-up QB spot, and/or more options in whom he views could possibly be the successor to groom behind Brady, BUT #2 The MUCH overlooked aspect is...IN BB having simply so many picks to throw around, whether BB even LIKES Ryan Mallet or not, the simple fact remains:  Ryan Mallet WAS a 1st rd rated QB, and there's not many of these guys a team can even "potentially" build a QB around...AND (and here's the kicker) 2 of BB's AFC East Rivals whom he plays twice each and every year, accounting for 1/4 of his Regular Season Schedule, NEEDED a decent QB-Miami and Buffalo...  So in Belichick pulling the trigger in order to jump up aand nab Mallet, He has BOTH given himself options, given himself and his team MORE options, And He made it so that IF he does actually want to trade Hoyer OR Mallet, it would then be his choice to keep a 1st rd prospect entirely away from any and all division rivals...  Like the Mallet selection or not (and I don't...for NE), you had better believe that this ran through Belichick's mind.  
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

nice point laz. thanks for the reasoning. i especially like keeping mallet or his potential away form the bills and dolphins 9though who knows if they even had him on their board, not picking him for 3 rounds.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

It is too early to determine Hoyer's trade value. We don't have enough evidence that he can lead a team over a 16+ game schedule from a mental, emotional and physical standpoint. Yet, he shows obvious promise. BB is doing the right thing by letting him develop and we need to be patient to see what unfolds.

...Speaking of patience: it is trying mine that the lockout continues!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Most teams carry three quarterbacks.

I just got done comparing Alge Crumpler to three running backs, Fred Taylor, Sammy Morris and Kevin Faulk, all of whom took up a roster spot in September and all of whom weren't around very much.  Brady turns 34 soon. 

Yes he's a quarterback and quarterbacks sometimes keep on going until age 40, but lately, Brady hasn't made of kryptonite.  He has a rebuilt knee.  He has a rebuilt foot.  He has admitted that he has slowed down some.  I think he's been throwing great with 1 interception in the last 500 attempts, but what if he busts his little pinky and goes down for a while?  Carrying 2 quarterbacks is a good option if both quarterbacks are good and if they are both young.  Brady isn't young. 

Ryan Mallett will be ok in a year and good in two years, but right now he's strictly an emergency quarterback, a place holder until BB hires somebody else cold on the Monday following a game.  BB can't afford to trade Hoyer this summer.  He probably can't afford to trade Hoyer next summer either, because BB needs three options and because Hoyer works cheap.  Some other coach is going to have to pay BB up to the sky for any player BB wants to use.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

Agreed, I like the idea of having 3 Qb's on the roster this year...I'm in no hurry to trade any of them....mallett needs to train under Brady for the next 2-3 years & Hoyer should be right there  at least for the next1-2 years....

Pats can make roster room losing Faulk,Morris,Taylor,Crumpler,Whilhite,Light, & some others maybe in a trade for picks like Butler,Mankins,Sanders,meriweather & Welker while they still got value & we can get something decent for them....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

It's hard to imagine how anyone who has even walked by a football stadium let alone watched a game could dispute the selection of Mallett on the third round is beyond me.He was arguably the second best quarterback in this draft physically,in terms of his QB IQ(he is an ardent worker who is so far superior to Newton in regard to recognizing defenses and knowing how to exploit what he sees it isn't even a contest),loves playing the game and has a work ethic even his harshest critics would not question.He fell to the third round because a bunch of teams called his maturity level into serious question and a couple of off-field instances that they were scared off that he would be the type of guy they were afraid to draft early because they had questions about the ability of their coaching staff, personnel or organization as a whole couldn't influence him sufficiently to help the young man grow as person as well as a player.Basically,they were afraid to draft a potential problem child and look bad if they couldn't handle him.B.B.,after a couple of discussions with him, had the confidence and felt comfortable about the Pats ability to deal with any and all situations involving this player to draft him when he was still on the board at least a round and a half after he should have been drafted and have him become the best he could be(and that's pretty darn good).As for Hoyer,I,too,believe he has the capacity to be a solid starter in the NFL and would be of interest to at least two to four teams in the league,especially those who are unable or unwilling to presue a veteran QB in a trade or via free agency.Get two teams who want him and the return could well net the Pats a second or a third and fifth or sixth round pick(s).