Brian Waters a no show

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Brian Waters a no show

Whether guard Brian Waters will ever suit up again for the Patriots became even murkier on Wednesday when he did not report to training camp, according to two league sources.

What that means isn't exactly clear, and not even Waters himself would clear it up.

Reached by phone this afternoon, Waters would not confirm or deny that he failed to report to the team.

"I’m not really talking about it, you’ll have to talk to the Patriots about it," Waters said. "At this moment, I’m not really discussing the situation. Right now I’m just handling things between me and the team. If they want to talk to you, that’s fine but I’m not really talking about it.

"You’re just going to have to talk to the team. I’m allowing them to handle all the media stuff right now. We’re going to do it this way, because it’s the best way to do it."

Andrew Kessler, Waters' agent, also refused to comment on the situation and referred all questions to the Patriots.

Waters, who stayed away from all off-season activities, could just have a personal issue, and has been granted time to deal with it.

That Waters didn't say he is retiring could signal that the veteran just didn't want to go through all of training camp, something that many veterans wrestle with. Some, like Brett Favre and Michael Strahan, went out of their way not to go through entire training camps later in their careers.

Waters didn't sign with the Patriots until the eve of the 2011 season (Sept. 4) and delivered a Pro Bowl performance.

The Patriots may have granted Waters, who has one more year left on his contract at $1.4 million, permission to report late to camp. And they may have instructed him not to disclose that.

The team is due on the practice field on Thursday at 1:30 p.m.

Waters, 35, raised eyebrows after the Super Bowl loss when he talked about needing time to decide whether he wants to continue playing.

However, league and team sources insisted that was just a heat-of-the-moment comment and that he was expected back.

Still, veterans can change their mind and decide they don't want to keep playing.

I'm pretty sure he is mad the Patriots didn't sign Wes to a multi year deal.  Hopefully Waters will get over it and get to camp.  And people thought the Patriots not signing WW to a long term deal wouldn't send out a bad message.Laughing

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: Brian Waters a no show

agreement behind the scenes with club adn waters

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I also think BB gave Waters permission to report late to training camp.  Not at all unusual for an accomplished vet like him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to "Brian Waters a no show": [QUOTE]By Greg A. Bedard and Shalise Manza Young, Globe Staff Whether guard Brian Waters will ever suit up again for the Patriots became even murkier on Wednesday when he did not report to training camp, according to two league sources. What that means isn't exactly clear, and not even Waters himself would clear it up. Reached by phone this afternoon, Waters would not confirm or deny that he failed to report to the team. "I’m not really talking about it, you’ll have to talk to the Patriots about it," Waters said. "At this moment, I’m not really discussing the situation. Right now I’m just handling things between me and the team. If they want to talk to you, that’s fine but I’m not really talking about it. "You’re just going to have to talk to the team. I’m allowing them to handle all the media stuff right now. We’re going to do it this way, because it’s the best way to do it." Andrew Kessler, Waters' agent, also refused to comment on the situation and referred all questions to the Patriots. Waters, who stayed away from all off-season activities, could just have a personal issue, and has been granted time to deal with it. That Waters didn't say he is retiring could signal that the veteran just didn't want to go through all of training camp, something that many veterans wrestle with. Some, like Brett Favre and Michael Strahan, went out of their way not to go through entire training camps later in their careers. Waters didn't sign with the Patriots until the eve of the 2011 season (Sept. 4) and delivered a Pro Bowl performance. The Patriots may have granted Waters, who has one more year left on his contract at $1.4 million, permission to report late to camp. And they may have instructed him not to disclose that. The team is due on the practice field on Thursday at 1:30 p.m. Waters, 35, raised eyebrows after the Super Bowl loss when he talked about needing time to decide whether he wants to continue playing. However, league and team sources insisted that was just a heat-of-the-moment comment and that he was expected back. Still, veterans can change their mind and decide they don't want to keep playing. ********************************************** I'm pretty sure he is mad the Patriots didn't sign Wes to a multi year deal.  Hopefully Waters will get over it and get to camp.  And people thought the Patriots not signing WW to a long term deal wouldn't send out a bad message. Posted by TFB12[/QUOTE] Do you really believe what you wrote or is this sarcasm.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In Response to Re: Brian Waters a no show:
    [QUOTE]I also think BB gave Waters permission to report late to training camp.  Not at all unusual for an accomplished vet like him.
    Posted by ATJ[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what i was thinking. Waters is a solid, intelligent veteran who KNOWS what he's doing and is old.

IF he was given permission to report late, the Pats would NEVER admit it publicly. Can you imagine ESPN running with all these made up "disingenuous" and "favorite playing" stories they would run?

Easier this way, non-story in a week or two when he reports and assumes his starting spot.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

It's hard to believe anything at this point in this situation. It could just as easily be that BB gave him permission to miss some time or that he wants more money and is holding out or that he's still thinking about retiring. We should know in a week though

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

I agree with the last few posts...just a veteran trying to avoid training camp. Fine by me, he will still be here come Week 1.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

He will show - if he were retiring, he wouldn't care what the Pats "want" him to say. The fact he referred to the team almost ensures he will be playing this year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Brian Waters a no show": Do you really believe what you wrote or is this sarcasm.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]
    Didn't the laughing face give away the nature of my final comments?

On the serious side of this, I'm a bit concerned with Waters.  While I remember months ago reading that Waters is a vet, and it's typical that he isn't in camp early. But this isn't early, this is regular camp isn't it?  It's also alarming about his resistance to answer reporters question.  Why can't he just say I will be there in due time or something of that nature?  Almost sounds like there is some problems between him and the Pats.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Virtually guarantees Waters is the starting guard for this team. Great news.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

If he was going to retire or their was an issue with his health we would have heard about it.  I think BB is just giving him a tenured pass as he has been known to do from a rare time to time. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]If he was going to retire or their was an issue with his health we would have heard about it.  I think BB is just giving him a tenured pass as he has been known to do from a rare time to time. 
    Posted by agill1970[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure we would have heard about it truthfully. This is the type of thing the Pats keep closest to the vest. I mean look at Brown, Bruschi, Harrison. Everyone expected them to retire but they kept sticking around and then one day the news dropped like an anvil with not a single report leading up to that week. Usually I'd say no news was good news but in the Pats case I would say it's like being in the middle of the woods and nothing is making a sound. You know there is a reason it's dead quiet but you have no clear if it's nothing or a large predator getting ready to eat your face off

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brian Waters a no show : Didn't the laughing face give away the nature of my final comments? On the serious side of this, I'm a bit concerned with Waters.  While I remember months ago reading that Waters is a vet, and it's typical that he isn't in camp early. But this isn't early, this is regular camp isn't it?  It's also alarming about his resistance to answer reporters question.  Why can't he just say I will be there in due time or something of that nature?  Almost sounds like there is some problems between him and the Pats.
    Posted by TFB12[/QUOTE]

He didn't need camp last year.  We picked him up like a week before Week 1.