Brian Waters locker cleaned out, name plate still left in place.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Brian Waters locker cleaned out, name plate still left in place.

Reiss's article today explains a lot.  Waters isn't crazy about leaving his family for long stretches anymore and he's been contemplating retirement. My guess is there are two possibilities:

1. Waters really wants to retire, but BB has told him not to make that decision yet and has let Waters know that there's a spot still open for him if he changes his mind.

2. Waters wants to play close to home (in Houston) and has decided to sit out hoping BB will waive him.  BB hasn't pressed fines because he knows if he does, Waters will simply retire.  Given this, BB is content to wait and see what happens. He might also consider trading Waters to Houston, but I'm not sure how much Houston would be willing to give up for Waters.  They seem to be okay at guard right now and might only be interested in Waters if someone gets hurt.  

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

It depends. If he went to BB's office and said "I plan to retire" and BB told him there was no need to make up his mind so fast and encouraged him to delay his decision for as long as he needed, then Waters isn't doing anything unprofessional.  If, however, he hasn't discussed his intentions with BB, then he is being unprofessional.  We just don't know . . . and neither BB or Waters is telling.  

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

In response to DelGriffith's comment:

We're past all of that now, though.  The season starts in 6 days.  He's under contract. This is now a holdout.

If he's trying to force a trade, then just send him to Dallas for a mid rd pick if possible.   BB ain't shipping him to Houston.  Houston is too far for what he supposedly wants anyway (be near family).

Plus with Jerry Jones playing at being a GM and always thinking his team is a contender you're likely to get better return.

The fact that BB isn't fining him and seems content to wait makes it more likely Waters is contemplating retirement and BB hopes he changes his mind. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I don't think Waters is wanting to go anywhere else.  If he is looking for a ring, this place is perfect for him.  Certainly he doesn't think he would have a chance winning one with the Cowboys, Hahahahahaha!!!  I think he is ready to retire and call it o career.  If he wants one last go at it then he will be back but I am pretty certain he wont be playing for a different team.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

If he doesn't report today then I'm going to assume he won't.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

I doubt he is being unprofessional rather he has his own reasons he doesn't want to be here. In any case, we have to move on...If decides later in the season he wants to come back the team can evaluate it then...
    BB must have known that his not coming back or coming back late was a possibility and had the option to prepare for this eventuality in the draft or free agency...perhaps he was dreaming he could change his mind and didn't take adequate preparation.... . we may never know....

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

News on Waters.... He's day to day!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

That's Brian Waters' number. Not a good sign RT @Patriots: Another #Patriots number change: Dont'a Hightower will wear jersey #54.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

He's under contract, so this is now a holdout officially with him being paid not to play.  I am starting to wonder if BB will just concede the RG spot to Thomas or Connolly and then see if Waters wants to come in after Week 6 so Waters get paid in full for the year.

Maybe it's more of a Gerard Warren situation except Waters will return sooner than what a Warren might (much later in the year).

Lot of things I do not understand. In a hold out situation can the Patriots replace him on the roster but still retain rights to him if he does decide to report?

If he decides to retire...and then unretire..(which I can easily see happening) do the Pats still get first dibs on him?

I am hoping to see him show up Tuesday or Wed....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jonbam. Show jonbam's posts

I'm guessing that Waters and BB have an agreement for Waters to wait to report until after the Pats have placed someone on the new temp IR (can't happen before Tuesday) so that no one has to be cut to add Waters.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

He's under contract, so this is now a holdout officially with him being paid not to play.  I am starting to wonder if BB will just concede the RG spot to Thomas or Connolly and then see if Waters wants to come in after Week 6 so Waters get paid in full for the year.

Maybe it's more of a Gerard Warren situation except Waters will return sooner than what a Warren might (much later in the year).

Please . . . he's not being paid.  If he doesn't show up, he doesn't get paid.  BB could fine him as well if he wanted and, based on past practice, would certainly fine him if he felt Waters was not holding up his part of the bargain.  While it's impossible to say for sure, most of what we've heard points to Waters making a decision to retire and BB telling him that if he changes his mind, there's still a spot for him on the team.  

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I just said he's under contract.  To guarantee his salary, he'd need to show up by Week 6.

I dont understand what you're attempting to argue here. He's owed 1.4 million under a 2 year deal ending after this season. 

Considering Hightower just was awarded his number, I'd say Waters is retiring or BB is about to trade him for something.

You said it was a holdout, with "him being paid not to play".  He's not being paid.  And it doesn't appear to be a typical dispute about money as are most "holdouts."  

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Locker cleaned out.....number assigned to Hightower....I'd say it looks pretty clear he's all done here in NE. I'm actually amazed he got the treatment he did from BB. Since when does BB put up with any kind of BS?

Call it whatever you want.....he was under contract to be here & play.....and he's not. I think not showing up to camp is a complete disrespect of fellow team mates. Time to move on.....he's one guy....and if this team fails due to missing (1 player)....then we just aren't that good to begin with.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts