Bring on 18 Game Season!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

Bring on 18 Game Season!!!

I'm not really sure about all the negative nellies on here whining about how an 18 game season will ruin the league! I say, bring it on! Preseason is absolute garbage and should be reduced to 2 games. The first couple of games will be a little more sloppy but i'm telling you the fans will forget quickly and soon wonder what we did without 18 games. I personally can't wait! Brady will be shattering some records the next few years.

Super Bowl Prediction:

Pats 38 Eagles 27

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

Re: Bring on 18 Game Season!!!

I would have only 1 preseason game and 2 by weeks during the 18 game season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I'm not happy about it.  I don't think there is anything wrong with the current setup.  16 is a good number for me, maybe eliminate one preseason game.  BUT if they insist on doing it, we need 60 active players.  Period.  Currently only 45 can be active, I believe, from the 53 man roster.  60 is a minimum I think will be needed to have a viable team.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I love the idea of football being played longer, but I think 18 games is getting to be too many for the players given the injury rate in the NFL.  There's a real chance that many of the best teams are going to limp into the playoffs, seriously diluting the quality of play in the post season.  Do you really want a championship game between two teams when a large number of their best players will be off the field and on IR?  The scenario of crippled teams entering the postseason is ever more likely.  I think 16 games is already making the season one of attrition--the least injured teams go the farthest.  With an 18 game season, I"m afraid the teams with the best trainers and doctors will be champions.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

If the greedy owners really want an 18 game schedule, it'll happen.

Increased active player rosters and a pay increase commensurate for the two extra games is a must for negotiations coming up in the off season.

Unfortunately, there also could be a long hold out next year......

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from VirginiaPats. Show VirginiaPats's posts

NO... we and every other team has a hard enough time keeping folks healthy for 16 games , 18 games would have the NFL playing players that couldnt make a flag football team.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In Response to Re: Bring on 18 Game Season!!!:
    [QUOTE]Take a look to EVERY TEAM INJURY LIST... all the players in injury reserve... i personally think it´s no fair for the players...  
    Posted by auchhhhhhhhhhh[/QUOTE]

So, what you are saying.. playing FOUR pre-season games and 16 regular season games will result in less injuries than TWO pre-season games and 18 regular season games?  How so?  All it takes is one play to have a season ending injury and that one play can occur in practices, too.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from boludo. Show boludo's posts

No, no, no, a thousand times NO.

You do not need a thousand word reply to explain why. Terseness in the style of Calvin Coolidge will suffice: injured reserve.

In comparing exhibition games to regular season games, please remember that the starting elevens play relatively  little time during exhibition games. Replacing two exhibition games with two regular season games would mean more playing time for the starting elevens and thus more likelihood of injury.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

By the time the playoffs roll around you wouldn't recognize any of the players since the starters from week 1 would all be on IR. The Super Bowl winner is already partly determined by who has the healthiest team. An 18 game schedule would make it even more so.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarcW1. Show MarcW1's posts

I also say every American should start working mandatory 10 hour days and half a day on Saturday. But, keep pay the same.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Once again, I'll preface this with the disclaimer that all parties involved want more money, and there are only two ways to get it . . .   jacking up the price of everything related to the game: tickets, parking, merchandise; and more games.

I agree with people who say more games is more dangerous -- even though they've been playing 20 games, including pre-season, for many years now -- and that expanded rosters will dilute the quality of play. But neither the players, nor the owners, care about that. If they did, they would contract and shorten, instead of expanding and extending.

See . . .   there's no money in quality of play. They simply don't care about the product they present. They already know we'll buy it no matter what. Just look at the NFC West. So as far as both the league (owners) and the union (players) are concerned, more is always better (although you will hear the union deny this, in order to get a larger slice of the revenue pie).

In point of fact -- and I mentioned this last week in a similar thread -- if the NFL believed in quality over quantity, it would contract both the size of the league and the number of games. The bulk of the revenue comes from television anyway, and they would still have the same number of broadcasts per week . . .  the regions would just be bigger. And best of all, only the very best players would be able to crack rosters in . . .   say . . .   a 24-team league.

Of course, that will never happen. All this blather we're hearing about player safety is a smokescreen. How the commissioner's office can be fining every player whose helmet accidentally brushes another player's helmet on Tuesday, and talking about expanding the season on Wednesday, is talking out of both sides of its mouth. All parties involved want only one thing, and we all know what that is.

They dont' care about injuries.
    They don't care about quality of play.
    And they sure as hell don't care if you can't afford to come out and watch.

Somebody will.

They're banking on it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

From some of the comments I've heard Bob Kraft make it sounds like a sure thing. The players will make believe they are against it to increase their leverage in negotiations but they will get more money out of it as well as the owners so there is no way that this won't happen. The only people that are going to lose money are the rookies coming into the league and they don't have a say in the negotiations. If/when they do this I think it would be a good idea to start giving every team 2 bye weeks and have them spread out fairly and proportionately throughout the season. These guys are so bent on squeezing everything they can I wouldn't be surprised to see them start doing Friday and Saturday night games on a regular basis in the years to come. As mentioned above I will still watch but the stories of "NFL when I was a Kid" will be more frequent.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]From some of the comments I've heard Bob Kraft make it sounds like a sure thing. The players will make believe they are against it to increase their leverage in negotiations but they will get more money out of it as well as the owners so there is no way that this won't happen. The only people that are going to lose money are the rookies coming into the league and they don't have a say in the negotiations. If/when they do this I think it would be a good idea to start giving every team 2 bye weeks and have them spread out fairly and proportionately throughout the season. These guys are so bent on squeezing everything they can I wouldn't be surprised to see them start doing Friday and Saturday night games on a regular basis in the years to come. As mentioned above I will still watch but the stories of "NFL when I was a Kid" will be more frequent.
    Posted by Rerun85[/QUOTE]

This is a key point right here. Despite whatever rhetoric you hear, the union's heaviest bargaining chip -- a rookie wage scale -- affects no one who will be asked to vote on that concession. Think of it like . . . .   oh, I don't know . . .    one of your representatives in Washington voting in favor of expensive health care reform that affects your family, but not his.

Cool

(sorry about that . . .    couldn't resist)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bring on 18 Game Season!!! : So, what you are saying.. playing FOUR pre-season games and 16 regular season games will result in less injuries than TWO pre-season games and 18 regular season games?  How so?  All it takes is one play to have a season ending injury and that one play can occur in practices, too.
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

The difference, of course, is that the starters don't play full games in preseason and the intensity isn't the same. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bring on 18 Game Season!!! : This is a key point right here. Despite whatever rhetoric you hear, the union's heaviest bargaining chip -- a rookie wage scale -- affects no one who will be asked to vote on that concession. Think of it like . . . .   oh, I don't know . . .    one of your representatives in Washington voting in favor of expensive health care reform that affects your family, but not his. (sorry about that . . .    couldn't resist)
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

Amen to that!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Hey P-Mike . . .

Yeah, it is about money and I agree the 18 game season is likely to pass--And I  don't think there will be a lockout either.

The NFL won't be concerned about quality until it really becomes a problem . . . if quality of play declines to the degree it has in the other three sports, then suddenly quality will be an issue because it will start to effect revenue.  Just look at what's happened to the NBA . . .  The NFL has been a remarkable success . . . at some point, though, they could make the wrong move and end up breaking everything they've built.  Eighteen games might not be the bullet that kills the golden goose, but at some point, too many games or too many teams will mean a lower quality of play that fewer people are going to want to watch.  And that could effect revenues as it has in the other major sports.  

As far as that health care reform thing goes, you should try what I did . . . move to Canada.  You might find you like government care more than you think.  It's relatively good, it's relatively cheap, and you don't have to worry about losing it if you become unemployed.  We'd be lucky if our reps in Washington would vote for it . . . instead Americans still get those big paycheck deductions for employer-provided care, still overpay for medical services (about three times more expensive down there than up here in my experience) and sill risk losing everything if they lose their jobs.  Personally, I'll pay a bit higher taxes like we do up here and have the greater security.  And besides, the weather in Manitoba ain't too much worse than it is in Minnesota . . . 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Can't move to Canada.

The beer's too expensive.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

has there been any talk of adding an extra bye week in an 18 game season?  It might mitigate some of the fears of an increase if frequency of injuries

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WCPatsFan. Show WCPatsFan's posts

[QUOTE]Take a look to EVERY TEAM INJURY LIST... all the players in injury reserve... i personally think it´s no fair for the players...  [/QUOTE]

Yes because at a league average salary of 1.8 million per season getting paid around 100K per game is SOOOOOOOOO unfair. Are you serious?

There is a risk, but the reward is great, such is life in pro sports. Don't like it? Get a 9-5 like the rest of us and a real world salary not some crazy payout and see how you like that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]has there been any talk of adding an extra bye week in an 18 game season?  It might mitigate some of the fears of an increase if frequency of injuries
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

I've heard it mentioned, and believe both sides would be in favor of an extra bye week -- which has the effect of extending the broadcast season an extra week without actually adding any more games.

An extra bye is good for all concerned, except fantasy football wonks.

So everybody wins.

Cool

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]Can't move to Canada. The beer's too expensive.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

I guess it depends on what you buy . . . I admit to having a taste for expensive Beligian ales . . . and much to my delight they cost half as much here in Toronto as they do in Boston.   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

[QUOTE]has there been any talk of adding an extra bye week in an 18 game season?  It might mitigate some of the fears of an increase if frequency of injuries
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

I haven't heard it mentioned but If the NFL worked it correctly they could actually use an extra bye week to milk another week out of the season which would make them even more money. So they( The NFL) have a 17 week season right now. They add 2 more regular season games and an extra bye--- they could get 20 weeks if scheduled properly and who would be the wiser?. Start the year in the last week of august and play the SuperBowl in mid February. They might as well.As long as they don't kill the cow they can keep milking it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bring on 18 Game Season!!! : I've heard it mentioned, and believe everybody would be in favor of an extra bye week -- which has the effect of extending the broadcast season an extra week without actually adding any more games. An extra bye is good for everybody except fantasy football wonks. So everybody wins.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

I think the players union asked for two in-season byes while the league is asking for a bye between the preseason and the regular season (which they already have I think) and one in-season bye.  I think if they go 18 games, they need two in-season byes and I agree with you P-Mike that that's good for the owners too, since it means one more week of televised football.

One idea that no one has proposed--and I'm not sure it's really a good one--would be to require that no player play more than 16 weeks.  That would require every player to have two additional weeks off in-season and to sit two games.  That rule plus two byes would give players plenty of time to rest and recover and might make 18 games a lot easier on their bodies (and heads).  Of course, it would mean the Pats would play two games with Hoyer rather than Brady . . . 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

well look at it like this hockey players make much less then nfl players and they play alot more games . A play in the nfl is 4 secs when hockey players keep going  and some really tough hits too and you dont see them complaining.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bring on 18 Game Season!!! : I think the players union asked for two in-season byes while the league is asking for a bye between the preseason and the regular season (which they already have I think) and one in-season bye.  I think if they go 18 games, they need two in-season byes and I agree with you P-Mike that that's good for the owners too, since it means one more week of televised football. One idea that no one has proposed--and I'm not sure it's really a good one--would be to require that no player play more than 16 weeks.  That would require every player to have two additional weeks off in-season and to sit two games.  That rule plus two byes would give players plenty of time to rest and recover and might make 18 games a lot easier on their bodies (and heads).  Of course, it would mean the Pats would play two games with Hoyer rather than Brady . . .   
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

One of the aspects of an expanded season and bigger rosters that I actually like would be the variable of roster management it would add to the game. Whether the league mandates a limit on how many games a player may enter; or whether it is left to coaches to simply manage the roster to keep the players fresh, it introduces another variable to the coaching equation and would ultimately enhance the competition, I think. I like the idea of a guy like Belichick deciphering what situations would be best to rest key players to get maximum benefit out of everybody in a more gruelling season.

Sections
Shortcuts