Bringing in the top QB's in draft - purpose?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Bringing in the top QB's in draft - purpose?

Obviously if they slid in draft it makes sense. Does having them in also give you an idea what they have for weaknesses if they get drafted to another team? or more importantly a division rival?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

Re: Bringing in the top QB's in draft - purpose?

real threat here with the Jests as they are still looking for a qb

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dHUfy_YBps

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Simple due dilligence ...keeping the files up to date for future reference...nothing more for now...if it's some sort of smoke screen I doubt anyone but a moron GM would fall for it....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Obviously if they slid in draft it makes sense. Does having them in also give you an idea what they have for weaknesses if they get drafted to another team? or more importantly a division rival?

[/QUOTE]

I think it's pretty genius too, bringing in the Top 3 NFL Rated QBs in a Draft...heck, do it for EVERY given draft.  Only chance you'll ever get to break them down, to see what strengths they might have (and maybe overrely and overcompensate towards), or what weaknesses they have (physical & schematic fallabilities &/or voids in their overall game, mental shortcomings which just may rattle them, play-breaking down errs and where & when and on the majorities of "what" in game reading lackings).

Shoot...only time you'll ever get to do this before he's an NFL'er...  "CIA-it" Belichick...keep files on the Top 3 QB's from EVERY year.  That's awesome. 

Other than that, There's much to do with-IN a "Tradeable Smokescreen."  Maybe he's good...reeeeal good, and ya like him A TON...  So maybe you invite the other 2 back twice, and just "conveniently" cold shoulder the guy ya think is a gem.  Orrr, maybe you release the conveniently tiniest speck of leaked info to just 1 or 2 league guys about 1 of the 3 you're hot on to just 1 or 2 Real Inside-the-actual-League Guys...and see just how far that might coyly "tentacle" outwards.

Result of either?  That guy is either:  A>  Taken early...and now that's 1 more team in the 1st Rd that's off the boards with the REAL position & player NE actually covets.  Just 1-Means 1 less potentially taking your guy.  OR:  B>  That QB that you DO think/have coneveniently leaked IS hot/a very worthy prospect, IS on the Board @ #29...or in the 2nd...and either: your guy is off and ya get a better selection of trade values from another team, Or-your guy (the player/position) you actually are targeting/do want, is on, YET: some other team is now willing to unload a deal of tradeable selections for YOUR selection, just to nab this QB gem, That is simply too good for NE to pass-up on.

What IF this worked and That coveted QB was there at #29...?  And what IF YOUR guy (NE's actual positional specific player desire) was STILL there too...?  I, as a Coach/GM, would be pretty hard-pressed, not to give up that #29 spot, IF some other team was offering me something absurd, like: That team's 1st Rder next year + either 1 2nd Rder THIS year + 1 4th/5th Rder THIS year too (or maybe a 4th Rder next year and 1 6th rder this year).

That'd be alot of ammo...

Of which Belichick would probably:  Not get the BPAs whom slipped far down in order to maximize his ammo take...but instead, acquire the 189th BPA w/ that 2nd Rder, and the 6,009th BPA in the 6th...only to trade that 1st next year, and do it all over again. (lol, It does work<the trade down and ammo count thing>...IF you don't DRAFT completely stvp!d as well).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

TB is within a few years of retirement. Why would it not be smart to do due dilligence to figure out who could be possible targets as TB successor... if not now, perhaps acquire later?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

TB is within a few years of retirement. Why would it not be smart to do due dilligence to figure out who could be possible targets as TB successor... if not now, perhaps acquire later?

[/QUOTE]

I agree with this.   Due dilligence on the most important position in the sport.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

It would be a shock if Bridgewater or Manziel fell to the bottom of the first round would it not?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

I do. I think Pats will dupe somebody into an extra Pick. BB is like a Poker player.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It would be a shock if Bridgewater or Manziel fell to the bottom of the first round would it not?

[/QUOTE]

It would be a shock.

In my mind, if BB really is looking for trade opportunities that the QBs might offer, he should be looking into Carr, Garropolo. If anyone wants to jump back into the first round for a QB, those are the two who would be available. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Due diligence is fine but I just don't see this as a draft you spend a high pick on. This one reminds me of the 09' draft as far as QB's go. In otherwords in any other year these QB's would be 2nd and 3rd round picks at best. In 09' you had Stafford, Sanchez, Freeman, and White as you top end QB's. All had question marks and really if not for desperate teams all but Stafford would be day 2 picks. This year looks more of the same between Bortles, Bridgewater, Carr, and Manziel. There are a number of strong QB's next draft that if they want to invest high on might be bettter choices overall players like Driskel, Hogan, Hundley.

I also don't see them to find out their weaknesses. First, you have no clue who will draft them and chances are better you might only see them once in their careers vs multiple times. Not to mention in private workouts it's more of learning their film studies, football intelligence, and to get a longer interview than 15mins at the combine. You learn as much just by watching their college film to look for weaknesses. Not to mention by the time you see them they have been training in the NFL. They most likely won't have the same tendencies as they did in college when you grilled them. It just doesn't make much sense to think they bring them in to find their weaknesses.

Now, there is some weight to you bring in a guy to make teams think you might take them so they try to trade ahead of you to grab them and a player you really wants drops to you. For instance say Nix, Hageman, and Tuitt are available at 25. Well they could all be gone before #29 however, if a team thinks you might take a Manziel they could trade ahead to grab them and the player you want drops 1 more pick. It could also drum up interest slightly in terms of a trade. Maybe you are in talks with a team to trade out and you want a little more. All you have to do is say, it's fine we aren't in love with Manziel but we'll take him to groom for later. Maybe that gets you an extra mid round pick to make the trade happen. It's happened before with Tebow. But, for this to work you already have a plan to trade out of the 1st (no shocker with the Pats) and you have a good idea of your board without having to bring in all 30 kids.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

THey are bringing them in so they can have more info on them when they eventually play them. I suppose they always want to have a book on every player in case they end up a free agent or trade bait as well. But for now I think it is just knowing who the opponent is.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

As much as i disdain Michael Felger at times I think he put it best. They are officially starting the search for the next QB after TB whether it be this year or 2 years from now. You will most likely see them doing their due dilligence on every top QB for the next 2 or 3 years.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I don't see how the Pats could take any of these QBs.   They would have to give up a lot.  Bridgewater may slip but Bortles and Manziel are top 10.  Outside of seeing what they can and cannot do I really don't know how this benifits.  The only thing I can think of is the QB situation is foggy and the Pats don't know which QB goes where on their board.  But I think you can forget about any of those QBs coming to Foxbourgh.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I can see Manziel slipping. There are a ton of red flags. He's a bet your job gamble for a GM if you pick him in the top of the draft.

Guys slip, it happens. Sometimes for good reason (Brady Quinn), sometimes not (Rodgers). Just last year, a lot of people had Geno Smith going in the first round. The QBs in this draft kind of suck, and there are a lot of good prospects at other positions. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree with this.   Due dilligence on the most important position in the sport.

[/QUOTE]

I agree. 

What happens if manziel or bridgewater are there in the first when we draft? It would be tempting. What would MB do?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I can see Manziel slipping. There are a ton of red flags. He's a bet your job gamble for a GM if you pick him in the top of the draft.

Guys slip, it happens. Sometimes for good reason (Brady Quinn), sometimes not (Rodgers). Just last year, a lot of people had Geno Smith going in the first round. The QBs in this draft kind of suck, and there are a lot of good prospects at other positions. 

[/QUOTE]

Even more reason not to draft him. You shouldn't draft someone just cause they are the best at their position if they suck

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Even more reason not to draft him. You shouldn't draft someone just cause they are the best at their position if they suck

[/QUOTE]

Good point, so pass on them. I personally think mccarron might end up being better than both manziel and bridgewater. I would spend a 3rd on him if he is there at the end of the round. You?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good point, so pass on them. I personally think mccarron might end up being better than both manziel and bridgewater. I would spend a 3rd on him if he is there at the end of the round. You?

[/QUOTE]

I actually like some of the kids coming out next year. Don't forget rooks only have 4yr deals now, not 6 like in Rodgers time. So if Brady lasts 3 more years that only gives you 1 year to evaluate a QB in real game situations that you would draft this year. If you wait until next year or the year after (which should be stronger QB drafts) you might get a better overall prospect in a year or two and have more years under rook contract than to get one this year

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree, but I don't think they intend to draft a QB in round one, if at all.  It's just part of the pre-draft dance.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I've heard and read all manner and means of scenarios on the why of it including doing O'B a favor (which I think is about as big a reach as there is).  In my mind it's a combo of due diligence, giving other GMs something to think about it and perhaps laying the ground work for in draft trade possibilities.  But since no one would ever mistake me a for an NFL GM I truly haven't the foggiest flippin' idea.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I think it's when the jests trade up to the fifth spot for Johnny football we will have an idea how he reads and reacts to d formations, what he does wrong and weaknesses.  I think there's no way Obrien passes on clowney.  It's his first draft. If he grabs a poor qb or one that takes a season to settle down it won't look good for him.  He takes the sure thing IMO.