Brockers at Gillette!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Brockers at Gillette!

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/

Lets do this! A "Richard Seymour" type player...

ahhhhhh yeah.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: Brockers at Gillette!

I'd like to go D line with the first two picks, Brocker's and Fletcher Cox if either or both are still around at the end of the first.  I really hope the hype on Poe makes him the first DT taken so we have a shot at this scenario.

In the 2nd or 3rd I'd love to get Iloka and possibly Bruce Irvin or Josh Robinson, all of these guys I have high on my board but the rest of the "experts" have them ranked much lower, we'll see what BB thinks come draft day.  

He'll take the best player regardless of where Kiper has them ranked, Andre Branch is also a strong possibility.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

It would be great, Brockers is the guy I'd like to see them get first.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Apparently Brockers stock fell a bit, probably not to the end of the 1st, but a trade for us is more realistic if he falls out of the top 18 or so. Don Banks has Brockers going 25th to Denver!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I do think to get Brockers would require a trade up, but not to far up something in the 15-20 range. Maybe Cinnci's 2nd pick at 21 would do it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: Brockers at Gillette!:
    I'd like to go D line with the first two picks, Brocker's and Fletcher Cox if either or both are still around at the end of the first.  I really hope the hype on Poe makes him the first DT taken so we have a shot at this scenario. In the 2nd or 3rd I'd love to get Iloka and possibly Bruce Irvin or Josh Robinson, all of these guys I have high on my board but the rest of the "experts" have them ranked much lower, we'll see what BB thinks come draft day.   He'll take the best player regardless of where Kiper has them ranked, Andre Branch is also a strong possibility.
    Posted by wozzy

I'd take Branch or Chandler Jones. Both have the 6ft5 270# frame. Nice to get one of these players and a big DT(I like Reyes) on the way back, IF we don't trade up for Brockers.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In Response to Re: Brockers at Gillette! : I'd take Branch or Chandler Jones. Both have the 6ft5 270# frame. Nice to get one of these players and a big DT(I like Reyes) on the way back, IF we don't trade up for Brockers.
    Posted by TrueChamp

Jones to me is a 4/3 defensive end whereas Branch can probably stand up and play outside linebacker in the 3/4. Jones doesn't have very good in line speed even though he was decent in the shuttle and had good vert.  

I'm not feeling Reyes either, not much of an athlete.  If we wait to get a D End later in the draft Markus Kuhn is very raw but athletic, still I hope we get that DT early.  

Brocker's isn't the only guy there, Still and even Poe if he drops would be worth taking a gamble on.  The draft is a gamble regardless of where you pick, in BB I trust.  If he moves up to take Brocker's than I'll assume he is the beast I thought he was prior to the draft.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I like Jones physicality. I don't mind the 4-3 aspect as I really don't think it matters much in BB's system. We are in sub package over 60% of the time anyway. Willie mac wasn't the fastest either but knew when to get his hands in passing lanes when he dropped into short zone coverage. I think Jones could play at 6ft5 275 and would could seal the edge as well as rush the QB. Branch is a little faster but I think we would have to take Branch in the 1st rd where Jones might even be around in the 2nd. They are players with different skill sets.

I would rather take the biggest baddest Dt available with the 1st pick...I like Reyes because he is quick for a big man and would match up nicely with VW, but honestly this draft is heavy on D-linemen, it would be lucky to predict which player BB takes....especially if he takes another CB 1st!!!

Poe scares me a little as he is enormous, but then again so was big Ted Washington.

As for safety I like Iloka or Antonio Allen (SC) at 62. Allen is more of a SS but he looks good.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

I'm actually hoping for Michael Brockers AND Janoris Jenkins to be Belichick's 2 1st Round Picks.  I'd feel each one's play to be perfectly ideal compliments towards one another...  Janoris Jenkins makes Michael Brocker look dilligent in his efforts, while Brockers makes Jenkins look dedicated in his endeavors.

Perfect match!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

I'm actually hoping for Michael Brockers AND Janoris Jenkins to be Belichick's 2 1st Round Picks.  I'd feel each one's play to be perfectly ideal compliments towards one another...  Janoris Jenkins makes Michael Brocker look dilligent in his efforts, while Brockers makes Jenkins look dedicated in his endeavors. Perfect match!
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium

not bad man, not bad. 
    that would be a coup to land those 2

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In Response to Re: Brockers at Gillette! : not bad man, not bad.  that would be a coup to land those 2
    Posted by bredbru

"Coup", one'a those single term homonyms allowing for polar opposite forms of ambivalence...
    Some define coup as some kinda strokes of brilliantly played seizures of attaining something great...while others recognize that it's lookin' like it might be goin' a tad too heavy on just the "seizures" and "strokes" department...  
    "Coup" is definately the perfect term.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

I'd take McLellin at 27 and Jones at 31. Reyes and Trumaine Johnson in the second round.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

laz, what if we followed that with curry and one of jeffery/mcnutt or one of the other huge outside wrs in the 2nd
    and in the 3rd and 4th got fs martin or taylor and a versatile o lineman (c/g/t) that scar chooses.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I'm a conspiracy theorist.  I think that BB brought Tim Tebow into Gillette, and asked Tom Brady to take the guy to dinner, because BB knew perfectly well he didn't want Tebow in the first round, so why not build up the guy's stock?  Maybe someone would jump ahead of BB and swipe Tebow from under BB's nose. 

As for Brockers, as far as I know he's the real deal, but I haven't seen his Wonderlic scores.

A real #1 pick like Solder would deliberately not be invited in.  However fans and many NFL GMs seem to have short memories.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

so paul, 
       how would bringing brockers in be a strategy. hes already in the first rd.
    been mocked from 9 to 27. lately early teens to early 20s.
    i am curious how bringing him in might be strategy.
    re tebow, he could have wanted him to go in 1 and also could have been a favor to urban meyer.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

so paul,     how would bringing brockers in be a strategy. hes already in the first rd. been mocked from 9 to 27. lately early teens to early 20s. i am curious how bringing him in might be strategy. re tebow, he could have wanted him to go in 1 and also could have been a favor to urban meyer.
    Posted by bredbru

If you get 30 picks to use, you might as well bring someone in.  Maybe one of them will impress you with football sense.  Don't bring in your gems, but do bring in the zircons.  Maybe one of them will drop to the second round, you never know.  Better, your bringing them in tells other (quite jealous) GMs that you're interested in them, so they'd better snap these guys up quick.  Having one less competitor for the real gems has some value.

BB might be after some completely yahoo pick like Logan Mankins.  When Mankins was picked everybody said "who?" but people trusted BB at that point, and sure enough Mankins was the real deal at #32.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Brockers at Gillette! : If you get 30 picks to use, you might as well bring someone in.  Maybe one of them will impress you with football sense.  Don't bring in your gems, but do bring in the zircons.  Maybe one of them will drop to the second round, you never know.  Better, your bringing them in tells other (quite jealous) GMs that you're interested in them, so they'd better snap these guys up quick.  Having one less competitor for the real gems has some value. BB might be after some completely yahoo pick like Logan Mankins.  When Mankins was picked everybody said "who?" but people trusted BB at that point, and sure enough Mankins was the real deal at #32.
    Posted by Paul_K

paul that strategy works except it doesn't work at all with brockers. he wont fall to 2nd. boosting interest in him will not bring others down to us as he already is well ahead of 27

the only strategy position to take re brockers would be to force someone above him to make him fall to us and bringing him in wont help with that.

maybe its just face value. bb is really on the fence about wether to go get him and he doesnt care who knows

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Postscript:  It's been leaked that Brockers scored a 21 on his Wonderlic, which is above average for a defensive lineman.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Paul K is right, draft strategy 101 is bringing in guys as part of a smokescreen. Generally it means they're not interested in them but want others to think they are. Sometimes it's a favor to an agent to generate interest in their player. It's relatively rare that a team brings in the guys it really wants.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Paul K is right, draft strategy 101 is bringing in guys as part of a smokescreen. Generally it means they're not interested in them but want others to think they are. Sometimes it's a favor to an agent to generate interest in their player. It's relatively rare that a team brings in the guys it really wants.
    Posted by Muzwell

If you go through the years, BB has always drafted a player he brought in, usually earlier in the draft.

11' Mallett, Solder and Ridley both have private workouts with coaches and had their private visits canceled at the last moment right before the draft. Actually I think Ras was the only one who didn't have a visit scheduled with the Pats in this draft if I remember right.
    10' Price, Spikes, and Hern
    09' McKenzie and Chung
    08' Mayo

The evidence is pretty clear that they will take at least 1 more likely 2 players that they bring in for pre-draft visits/private workouts on the first 2 days of the draft. As much as we'd like to believe everything could be a smoke screen it's really that BB does bring in players he likes and does end up drafting some players he brings in.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: Brockers at Gillette! : If you go through the years, BB has always drafted a player he brought in, usually earlier in the draft. 11' Mallett, Solder and Ridley both have private workouts with coaches and had their private visits canceled at the last moment right before the draft. Actually I think Ras was the only one who didn't have a visit scheduled with the Pats in this draft if I remember right. 10' Price, Spikes, and Hern 09' McKenzie and Chung 08' Mayo The evidence is pretty clear that they will take at least 1 more likely 2 players that they bring in for pre-draft visits/private workouts on the first 2 days of the draft. As much as we'd like to believe everything could be a smoke screen it's really that BB does bring in players he likes and does end up drafting some players he brings in.
    Posted by PatsEng

I agree. You guys might be over thinking this a little. BB brings in guys for a visit probably to see if they fit the "Patriot Way", although I am sure with BB there is always a little gamesmanship involved!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from e4smith. Show e4smith's posts

Isn't this the surest sign that we won't be drafting him?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I'd like to go D line with the first two picks, Brocker's and Fletcher Cox if either or both are still around at the end of the first.  I really hope the hype on Poe makes him the first DT taken so we have a shot at this scenario. In the 2nd or 3rd I'd love to get Iloka and possibly Bruce Irvin or Josh Robinson, all of these guys I have high on my board but the rest of the "experts" have them ranked much lower, we'll see what BB thinks come draft day.   He'll take the best player regardless of where Kiper has them ranked, Andre Branch is also a strong possibility.
    Posted by wozzy

most of the experts have brockers, cox and robinson ranked HIGHER than you do, not lower, teens to early 20's (and Robinson as an early-mid 2nd) so if you think either DT will be there at 27 (and will last past pick 50) I'll have to respectfully disagree, would be nice tho.

Iloka and Irvin are 3rd rd type prospects on most draft boards, and Branch should be there at 27-31, be nice if he slips to 48 b/c he's truly not that special... so the experts are in the same range as you, although last week you had Irving down as a possible 1st rd pick.... have you fallen back to earth when it comes to that one trick pony with serious anger issues/characters concerns?:)

I agree Kiper isn't one to listen to, so my comments above are not based on any of his mocks

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Brockers at Gillette! : If you go through the years, BB has always drafted a player he brought in, usually earlier in the draft. 11' Mallett, Solder and Ridley both have private workouts with coaches and had their private visits canceled at the last moment right before the draft. Actually I think Ras was the only one who didn't have a visit scheduled with the Pats in this draft if I remember right. 10' Price, Spikes, and Hern 09' McKenzie and Chung 08' Mayo The evidence is pretty clear that they will take at least 1 more likely 2 players that they bring in for pre-draft visits/private workouts on the first 2 days of the draft. As much as we'd like to believe everything could be a smoke screen it's really that BB does bring in players he likes and does end up drafting some players he brings in.
    Posted by PatsEng

which makes this (him coming in) verrrrry interrrresting...
    might we reach?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

He was brought in for a visit....and?  What am I mising here, yes they have shown interest in a very good looking 5 tech.  That's it, every team in the league does this, I'd imagine around 20 teams at least are doing the same with him.

Sections
Shortcuts