Brooks Reed anyone?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nepats51. Show nepats51's posts

Brooks Reed anyone?

is it just me or does anybody else love this guy!? his motor just keeps goin and going, i think he would help pats pass rush bigtime! if pats dont get him with 1 of 2 1st rd picks, i see freakin jets taking him, and that would ruin everything, i dont know just his motor and long hair reminds me of matthews who we passed up!!!      thoughts?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Re: Brooks Reed anyone?

Everything I've read about him says he has trouble setting the edge and has trouble getting off blocks.  Not sure he's a mid 1st rounder, at least for the Pats' system, if that's true.  He is reportedly an adept pass rusher, so if he's there late 1st - early 2nd, who knows?  

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that the Pats won't draft an OLB until Rd 2 at the earliest.  DE and OL seems the surest bet.   Now that I've said this, I am sure they will draft an OLB at 17 just to let us know we have no clue. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

I don't see the Pats passing on Kerrigan or Aldon Smith if one is there at 17. If they aren't, Reed is one of several nice choices in the 2nd round.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I love Reed, been talking him up since the first time I saw him play back in November vs. Stanford.  I think he's probably a top 64 pick, upside for top 50.

I also like his Desert Swarm teammate, Ricky Elmore as a 34 OLB sleeper in Rd 4-5.  He's doesn't have the same timed speed/quicks as Brooks, but the kid also plays with a big motor, has the height/length/weight that BB likes (6-5 255) and made his fair share of plays behind the LOS (25.5 sacks, 33.5 TFL in his career).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cantstopme. Show cantstopme's posts

no thanks, BB doesn't usually go for one trick ponies. i think reeds ceiling comparison would be tamba hali, another one trick pony with a relentless motor to get to the qb.

i like martez wilson and justin houston at olb in round 2. might have to take houston at 28 b/c a lot of 4-3 teams may be interested in him as a de.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: Brooks Reed anyone?:
    [QUOTE]no thanks, BB doesn't usually go for one trick ponies. i think reeds ceiling comparison would be tamba hali, another one trick pony with a relentless motor to get to the qb. i like martez wilson and justin houston at olb in round 2. might have to take houston at 28 b/c a lot of 4-3 teams may be interested in him as a de.
    Posted by cantstopme[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure I follow your rationale:

Tamba Hali is regarded as a solid run defender that lead the NFL with 14.5 sacks in 2010, his first as a 34 OLB.  He's also been solid, not spectacular (3 years of 7.5 sacks or more before 2010) playing DE in a 43. 

Also, you can't really talk about one-trick pony types then throw Houston's name into the mix as a player you want because, IMO, he's about as one dimensional a player (strictly an up the field type) as there is if we're talking Rd 1-2 options at OLB. 

I also don't see spending a high round pick on Martez Wilson with the idea that he's going to be your edge rush guy.  He's currently an ILB with a limited pass rush repetoire that prefers to run around blocks vs. engaging them, not really the type of kid you want taking on OL on the outside.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cantstopme. Show cantstopme's posts

hali is has zero pass coverage skills. stop the run and get after the qb? sounds like a 4-3 de to me. hali was switched to 3-4 olb out of necessity, not because he is ideal for the position. is he young? yes. can he improve? of course, but do you spend a 1st round pick on a one trick pony? not im my opinion.

justin houston played olb and de for georgia this past season, he's proven he's effective and has experience in the system. reed? not so much.

wilson an ilb? ok, clay matthews was also an ilb at usc.. so what?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]hali is has zero pass coverage skills. stop the run and get after the qb? sounds like a 4-3 de to me. hali was switched to 3-4 olb out of necessity, not because he is ideal for the position. is he young? yes. can he improve? of course, but do you spend a 1st round pick on a one trick pony? not im my opinion. justin houston played olb and de for georgia this past season, he's proven he's effective and has experience in the system. reed? not so much. wilson an ilb? ok, clay matthews was also an ilb at usc.. so what?

It's impossible to call Reed a one trick pony when he's not yet had a chance to play the position full time.  Reports from the SB were that he looked good playing out of a two point stance and flashed some ability when asked to do it at Arizona.

Also, like I already said, Houston did most of his work rushing off the edge and is raw in coverage and not a stout run defender at this point.  He's no more a finished product/well rounded player than Reed.

Matthews was a DE at SC his senior season, playing OLB the season before.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cantstopme. Show cantstopme's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brooks Reed anyone? : It's impossible to call Reed a one trick pony when he's not yet had a chance to play the position full time.  Reports from the SB were that he looked good playing out of a two point stance and flashed some ability when asked to do it at Arizona. Also, like I already said, Houston did most of his work rushing off the edge and is raw in coverage and not a stout run defender at this point.  He's no more a finished product/well rounded player than Reed. Matthews was a DE at SC his senior season, playing OLB the season before.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

true true- i apologize about matthews, you are correct.

with that said let me also concede for the sake of argument that houston is infact no more of a finished product/well rounded player than reed.

what is it about reed that makes you feel he is the better prospect? and what is the highest you would draft him?

houston had far more college production, and a better combin. though reed ran i believe a 1.54 10yd split and houston ran a 1.67 (not exactly sure).  both very good, but reeds was incredible.

i don't dislike reed reed as a player, i just don't like the idea of drafting him before round 3. i would feel really good getting houston or ayers in the 2nd. wilson late 2nd.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brooks Reed anyone? : true true- i apologize about matthews, you are correct. with that said let me also concede for the sake of argument that houston is infact no more of a finished product/well rounded player than reed. what is it about reed that makes you feel he is the better prospect? and what is the highest you would draft him? houston had far more college production, and a better combin. though reed ran i believe a 1.54 10yd split and houston ran a 1.67 (not exactly sure).  both very good, but reeds was incredible. i don't dislike reed reed as a player, i just don't like the idea of drafting him before round 3. i would feel really good getting houston or ayers in the 2nd. wilson late 2nd.

No prob, man.

As for the Reed vs. Houston comparison, I'm not ready to say that Reed is the better prospect, but what I like is his burst/first step (1.54 10 yard) and his overall motor, the kid gets after it on every snap, whether they're up big or down by 4 TD's in the 4th quarter.  He's a kid that you know will give you everything he has on the field and will work off the field (in the weight room/film room) to improve every day.

Houston is a kid with a ton of talent, was productive off the edge in the SEC, which he should be commended for, but is also a kid that has had his motor questioned and himself saying that he feels like he takes plays off and wants to get better at going hard on every play.

As for where I'd feel comfortable with Reed, I feel he's a top 64 pick in this class, with upside for top 50 (I don't think he goes in Rd 1) where as Houston is generally viewed as a Rd 1 kid, at worst top 35 or so. 

With all that being said, I'd feel better about the value of Reed in mid/late Rd 2 than I would about Houston in Rd 1/top Rd 2.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

My advice to all the Brooks Reed ball washers - don't get your hopes up, at least not at the 28th or 33rd pick.  Belichick will not risk coming up short on a guy like Reed that doesn't fit his ideal measurements for a DE-OLB conversion type.  If you've ever heard him use the analogy of trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, this is what he's referring to.  We saw this most recently last year with TCU's Jerry Hughes.  Reed has a great motor no doubt, but Belichick's first priority is finding a guy strong at the POA that can set the edge vs the run, and if he's got some ability to rush the passer that's an added bonus.  Reed just doesn't fit that mold.  That's not to say he couldn't contribute on 3rd downs in a sub package, but I don't think Belichick would use a high draft pick on a guy who isn't an everydown type.   

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Hey mbeaulieu07 , stop washing Reed's balls!
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

And today's "I'm an online tough guy" award goes to the burger king guy.

Congrats.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]My advice to all the Brooks Reed ball washers - don't get your hopes up, at least not at the 28th or 33rd pick.  Belichick will not risk coming up short on a guy like Reed that doesn't fit his ideal measurements for a DE-OLB conversion type.  If you've ever heard him use the analogy of trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, this is what he's referring to.  We saw this most recently last year with TCU's Jerry Hughes.  Reed has a great motor no doubt, but Belichick's first priority is finding a guy strong at the POA that can set the edge vs the run, and if he's got some ability to rush the passer that's an added bonus.  Reed just doesn't fit that mold.  That's not to say he couldn't contribute on 3rd downs in a sub package, but I don't think Belichick would use a high draft pick on a guy who isn't an everydown type.   
    Posted by ShiningWizard[/QUOTE]

I'm not by any stretch a Reed ball washer, but what makes you think he can't make the conversion to OLB in a similar fashion as did Cunningham? They are very similar in size, with Reed a better athlete as provided via his combine numbers. Sure he gets dinged for getting washed out at times by OT's, but he also played DE not OLB when he was getting washed out. If you couple him with a 3-4DE that can take on doubles, this should free him up to do a bit more to make some plays.
    Also, other than being maybe a half an inch short as compared to Cunningham, how doesn't Reed fit BB's measurables? Maybe I'm missing something on him. I'm not saying he's the next coming of Vrabel or anyone else, but the kid would seem at least to me to be able to do fairly well in our system.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Personally, I'd rather take Kerrigan at 17, than Reed at 28 or 33.

28 or 33 is where I would focus my attention on either the DL or OL, or possibly whomever dropped that has value.

Reed vs. Houston?...There are things I like and dislike about both. It's almost a wash in my mind...I might given Houston the slight projection edge because he played 3-4 OLB for a year.

Kerrigan vs. Reed or Houston?...I'd take Kerrigan every time.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hagen910. Show hagen910's posts

In Response to Brooks Reed anyone?:
    [QUOTE]is it just me or does anybody else love this guy!? his motor just keeps goin and going, i think he would help pats pass rush bigtime! if pats dont get him with 1 of 2 1st rd picks, i see freakin jets taking him, and that would ruin everything, i dont know just his motor and long hair reminds me of matthews who we passed up!!!      thoughts?
    Posted by nepats51[/QUOTE]
    no thanks, sounds like a workout warrior.  Let the Jets draft Vernon Gholston again. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

Reed is the equal to all the existing OLb's except maybe Cunningham... and as far as pass defense, how many time do they really have to chase someone...Its usually space that they are covering and I think he would do just fine with coaching.... TAKE HIM

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brooks Reed anyone? : I'm not by any stretch a Reed ball washer, but what makes you think he can't make the conversion to OLB in a similar fashion as did Cunningham? They are very similar in size, with Reed a better athlete as provided via his combine numbers. Sure he gets dinged for getting washed out at times by OT's, but he also played DE not OLB when he was getting washed out. If you couple him with a 3-4DE that can take on doubles, this should free him up to do a bit more to make some plays. Also, other than being maybe a half an inch short as compared to Cunningham, how doesn't Reed fit BB's measurables? Maybe I'm missing something on him. I'm not saying he's the next coming of Vrabel or anyone else, but the kid would seem at least to me to be able to do fairly well in our system.
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

I don't think Belichick views Cunningham as an ideal fit either, but in the middle-late stages of the 2nd round he was worth the risk.  You could make the same argument for Reed in that sense.  However, I'm hearing that his stock is up into the late first round with teams like Baltimore and the Jets as possible teams, so I'm pre-emptively diffusing any sour grapes arguments from angry Pats fans if this were to happen by saying that Belichick does not have Reed that high on his board.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brooks Reed anyone? : I don't think Belichick views Cunningham as an ideal fit either, but in the middle-late stages of the 2nd round he was worth the risk.  You could make the same argument for Reed in that sense.  However, I'm hearing that his stock is up into the late first round with teams like Baltimore and the Jets as possible teams, so I'm pre-emptively diffusing any sour grapes arguments from angry Pats fans if this were to happen by saying that Belichick does not have Reed that high on his board.
    Posted by ShiningWizard[/QUOTE]

If what you are saying is true about BB not viewing Cunningham as an ideal fit, then that tells me if we are drafting OLB in a few days, we need a can't miss player if there is one. If we are getting a little bit of the same in Cunningham wiht Reed, then we need to look elsewhere. Currently, we have 3 OLB's that are so-so talent, with Cunningham being the highest drafted in round 2, TBC being a situational pass rusher, and Nink playing solid but not a game changer (less the game he had 2 interceptions last year..I'm basing my opinion on average).

My concern is if we draft again an average player, this makes our OLB corp average. I'm more willing to take a gamble early on a potential game changer, than with a safe pick late. Safe doesn't do anything to improve the position...at the very least the early pick will be hopefully equal or better than the safe pick.

My vote is Kerrigan. He fits the measurables perfectly. Good height, weight, strength, quickness, speed, intelligence and motor. Sure he didn't play OLB in college, but there really isn't anyone on the list early other than Houston and Miller that did...all the top guys beinig discussed Quinn, Smith, Kerrigan, Reed, etc. are all converts. And I believe Kerrigan of the group best represents what we are looking for.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brooks Reed anyone? : Umm, what? ShiningWizard called you a Brooks Reed ballwasher, not me.  I was making fun of the term (ballwasher) used simply because you are a Reed fan.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

SW didn't direct any comment to me specifically, you did.  Since I've had little to no interaction with you on this forum, I have no way of knowing the intent of your comment.

If he called me out specificially in that way, I would have responded to him as well.

If somebody wants to engage in a serious debate with me about Reed, I would gladly do so, but I'm certainly not going to waste my time engaging in a discussion that starts off with some sort of ad hominem attack (i.e. the original ballwasher post).