Brown: I'd take Edelman over Welker, Amendola

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

Brown: I'd take Edelman over Welker, Amendola

http://www.csnne.com/blog/patriots-talk/brown-id-take-edelman-over-welker-amendola?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

Julian Edelman is as reliable as they come.

Edelman showed again why Tom Brady has trust in the wide receiver, as Edelman had a game-high nine catches for 101 yards in a 34-31 win over the Houston Texans.

On PostGame Live, Michael Felger asked Ty Law, Troy Brown and Jerry Thornton if they could have Edelman, Wes Welker, or Danny Amendola for the next two seasons, who they would pick.

“Julian Edelman over Wes Welker for the next two years,” Brown said. “I can do more things with him. He can play outside receiver. He can play in the slot. He can play wildcat quarterback if you want to bring that crap back into play. He can do all that stuff. He is an excellent kick returner. He can probably do kickoff returns too if you ask him to. There is a lot of things you can do with Julian Edelman.”

Law and Thornton agreed with Brown, they would rather have Edelman than Welker or Amendola for the next two years.

“[Edelman] is putting up the numbers. He’s staying on the field right now,” Law said. “He’s healthy and if he continues to put up the numbers, we won’t be talking about Wes Welker as much.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good vid and article. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

Re: Brown: I'd take Edelman over Welker, Amendola

In response to DeadAhead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Tfb12 and patseng on the watch.

[/QUOTE]

I have nothing for or against Welker over Edelman.  I do think game in game out welker may be a better slot wr but Edelman brings alot to the table and he is what we have now.

My only part in this is the need for people bash Welker like he was the reason for the Pats downfall and wasn't a great player while he was here.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to csylvia79's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He’s staying on the field right now,” Law said. “He’s healthy and if he continues to put up the numbers, we won’t be talking about Wes Welker as much.”

[/QUOTE]

Here's your key statement from that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

I like Troy Brown but didn't he want to Bench Brady a few weeks ago. As a player he was great, as an analyst he is a incredibly over the top and prone to overstatements to put it mildly if these quotes are accurate. I don't personally watch any Pats post game shows but the Brady statement was quoted all over these boards so I have trouble accepting anything he says.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to ccnsd's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like Troy Brown but didn't he want to Bench Brady a few weeks ago. As a player he was great, as an analyst he is a incredibly over the top and prone to overstatements to put it mildly if these quotes are accurate. I don't personally watch any Pats post game shows but the Brady statement was quoted all over these boards so I have trouble accepting anything he says.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. 

Brown was a great Patriot but that certainly doesn't mean his opinion is always correct.  I have listened to several internet talk shows with Troy Brown on and he does make some pretty dumb remarks.   He has 3 rings and was a huge part in getting the rings but he will never be a HOF player, never even come close.  The only hall he will see is the Pats HOF, which is very nice with 3 rings.  Sometimes he comes across arrogant and then at other times he acts a bit jealous.  Not hating on one of the greats, just telling it like it is.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

It is not Edelman v Welker. It is Amendola, plus Dobson and Thompkins with a season of development come playoffs v Welker. 

Welker is a very very good player. But I do think this team has a better chance with the other three ready to play especially if they are added to Gronk and Julian both of whom can work the middle of the field. More good players with a wider range of skills and areas of the field they can attack. It makes us a better team. It is just very unfortunate that Wes is on Denver as they are our biggest obstacle to the SB - besides injuries and the Pats themselves.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

In response to csylvia79's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://www.csnne.com/blog/patriots-talk/brown-id-take-edelman-over-welker-amendola?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

Julian Edelman is as reliable as they come.

Edelman showed again why Tom Brady has trust in the wide receiver, as Edelman had a game-high nine catches for 101 yards in a 34-31 win over the Houston Texans.

On PostGame Live, Michael Felger asked Ty Law, Troy Brown and Jerry Thornton if they could have Edelman, Wes Welker, or Danny Amendola for the next two seasons, who they would pick.

“Julian Edelman over Wes Welker for the next two years,” Brown said. “I can do more things with him. He can play outside receiver. He can play in the slot. He can play wildcat quarterback if you want to bring that crap back into play. He can do all that stuff. He is an excellent kick returner. He can probably do kickoff returns too if you ask him to. There is a lot of things you can do with Julian Edelman.”

Law and Thornton agreed with Brown, they would rather have Edelman than Welker or Amendola for the next two years.

“[Edelman] is putting up the numbers. He’s staying on the field right now,” Law said. “He’s healthy and if he continues to put up the numbers, we won’t be talking about Wes Welker as much.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good vid and article. 

[/QUOTE]
    if edelman could stay healthy id rather have him at this point. hes younger has better hands and a much better punt return man. welker is having another good year but hes showing signs of decline. edelman is better in the clutch. the key is can he stay healthy.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYPatsFan12. Show NYPatsFan12's posts

tfb on the watch

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to NYPatsFan12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

tfb on the watch

[/QUOTE]

Oh look, it's Rusty's

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYPatsFan12. Show NYPatsFan12's posts

nope im just a pats fan who can spot out phony non pats fans pretty easily.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It is not Edelman v Welker. It is Amendola, plus Dobson and Thompkins with a season of development come playoffs v Welker. 

Welker is a very very good player. But I do think this team has a better chance with the other three ready to play especially if they are added to Gronk and Julian both of whom can work the middle of the field. More good players with a wider range of skills and areas of the field they can attack. It makes us a better team. It is just very unfortunate that Wes is on Denver as they are our biggest obstacle to the SB - besides injuries and the Pats themselves.

[/QUOTE]

Really it is Edelman and Amendola taking the reps that went to Welker and Hernandez last year. The two current Patriots have 93 catches for 968 yards and 4 TD's 75% of the way through the season. Project that to 125/1,300/6for the full slate.

2011 and 2012 saw Hern and Welker catch an avg of around 185 passes, 2,150 yards and 14 TD's a season.

Clearly there has been a MAJOR dropoff from the guys who covered the middle of the field. Edelman has had 3-4 great games in 12, Amendola 2.

Dobson and Thompkins replaced the production Branch/Ocho gave in '11 (66 catches, 978 yards and 6 TD's) and Lloyd/Branch in '12 (90 catches, 1,056 yards and 4 TD's). Those guys have combined for 66 catches, 944 yards and 8 TD's projected to 90/1,250/10. Considering they are rookies but already superior TD and deep threat options and the Pats did well moving on from three #2 and #3 WR's who were all over 30 years old.

They have FAILED to replace the production Wes and Hernandez gave however. This is not entirely something we should blame on them as the murder took them by surprise and Edelman is not a TE. But the facts remain, the combination of Amendola/Edelman may be just as good as Wes. But they cost the same amount of money as Wes and those two guys getting snaps at the same time working the middle of the field haven't come close to what Welker and Hern did on the field together.

So the 2013

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Meant to add at the end in the above post that the 2013 Patriots have successfully replaced Branch and Lloyd with rookies who had a STEEP learning curve. Rare in this system.

It would have been nice if they had offered up 750k more for Sanders and given Pittsburgh the Harmon pick for him (then used the Boyce pick on Harmon). But next year, whoever our #3 WR is between Thompkins and Boyce I will expect them to be better than in '13 and 100% KNOW they are better than Branch in '12 and Ocho in '11.

Dobson as our #2 will be better in '14 as well and better than Branch was in '11 and Lloyd in '12 based on being a better deep/TD threat.

The #1 WR used to be Welker, the Edelman/Amendola pairing has failed to match his #'s and since one of those two also had to take over for the loss of Hernandez this has overall been a massive fail for the team.

Edelman probably walks, meaning Amendola needs to be healthy and have 2-3 90 catch 1,000 yard 6-7 TD seasons to consider his signing a success.

If the team drafts one of the 3 best TE's in the draft this spring that will probably make up for the Hernandez murder, but for now that has been the biggest issue this team has faced. A two TE, two WR team has become a one TE three WR team and production overall dropped, even when Gronk and Amendola both got healthy 4 games ago.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I have no idea why Brown says this, clearly he hasn't looked into the numbers.

After week 13 last season Welker had 80 receptions and 960 receiving yards. 

Currently Welker has 68 receptions and 717 yards and 9td's this season sharing the ball with all those other receivers they have in Denver.  Simply amazing!

Edelman has 70 receptions and 711 yards with 4 tds this season as being the main receiver. 

You can look at the numbers sitting in your chair, you can look at the numbers standing up, you can look at the numbers standing on your head, you can look at the numbers any way you want to but Welker had better numbers last season at this point and has better numbers this season,  again having to share the ball with all those other receivers in Denver.  There are only so many receptions to go around there in Denver and Welker is having another great season. Denvers gain, our loss.  Ouch!  Maybe BB should have kept Welker with Edelman instead of signing Amendola.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Troy Brown is expressing an opinion.  I can see some points, disagree on others.  Don't see either Edelman or Amendola as same player as Welker. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I'll take whoever has Tom Brady throwing to him.  

Edelman has had a nice season so far, but lets not forget that BB played Welker over Edelman for years and also seemed content to let Edelman test the market this offseason as a free agent.  Fortunately, there was no major interest and BB was able to re-sign Edelman at cheap money.  Edelman has been a very good punt returner for several years now.  As a receiver, he's inconsistent, having some big games then disappearing in other games. Fortunately, he's come up big the past two games---though let's not forget that a lot of Edelman's success is due to the guy throwing the ball to him and the attention Gronk demands from the pass defenders over the middle. 

The real switch though wasn't Welker for Edelman (Edelman was here with Welker for years), it was Welker for Amendola.  BB probably wanted Welker to stay.  He made numerous offers.  He just didn't want to tie too much money up in Welker given Welker's age. Amendola seemed to be the back-up plan if Welker wasn't signed.  Amendola has made some nice plays, but overall, Amendola's productivity has been well below Welker's.  When you look at switching Amendola for Welker, I'm not sure Amendola has been much of a gain for similar money.  Maybe two or three years down the road we'll feel different, but I think BB was probably right to try to sign Welker before moving on to Amendola. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

it doesn't matter anymore.  Welker is gone.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Another Welker thread, huh? Okay...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Also, reading TFB12 talk about Welker is kinda gross. Seriously, stop making these threads. I'd rather have Victor Cruz over Welker, Edelman and Amendola anyway.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to DeadAhead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I do not bash welker.  I agree it is lame to bash a guy who gave his all. 

[/QUOTE]

What the hell?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

The only thing (a big thing) that Welker has over either Amendola or Edelman is an uncanny ability to stay healthy.  Yes I know Wes had the blown out knee, but he came back and it hasn't hindered him much.  By and large, he's been relatively healthy despite taking lots of big hits.  To me, if all are healthy (HUGE if) then they are interchangeable, or at least they are all very productive WRs.  I am not discounting health here, Wes gets a lot of respect for being one tough hombre.  I am just saying that it's clear that all are good players when they stay on the field.     

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Someone please explain what being on watch means and how that makes someone less of a fan?

I mean seriously grow up to those who put people "on watch". What are you 12 and waiting for your moment to say haha I was right? I mean really put your tiny epeen away and actually watch the games for once instead of looking for ways to stroke your ego's. Edelman has been a good receiver this year but one of the reasons is because Brady hasn't had any other WR to throw to. Welkers replacement in Amendola (Jon Krafts own words he was second choice) is having a sub par year. The rooks are filling in nicely here and there but not one has consistently given good performances week to week. Even Edelman has disappeared for long stretches but at least he's shown up when no one else did (save for Gronk). What I don't get is the same people putting people "on watch" were crying about Brady locking into one WR last year but haven't cried about the same this year, talk about agendas.

As far as the article, Troy is similar to every other homer out there. Of course he's going to put a current Pat higher then a former one. Did anyone expect any different? The difference is what Edelman has done the last 2 games Welker typically did week in and week out for the Pats but given Edelman all but disappeared weeks 5-11 except for 2 decent 5 catch weeks I'd still say for consistency factor alone Edelman still isn't as good as Welker was during his time here but he certainly has made the jump compared to previous years. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Someone please explain what being on watch means and how that makes someone less of a fan?

I mean seriously grow up to those who put people "on watch". What are you 12 and waiting for your moment to say haha I was right? I mean really put your tiny epeen away and actually watch the games for once instead of looking for ways to stroke your ego's. Edelman has been a good receiver this year but one of the reasons is because Brady hasn't had any other WR to throw to. Welkers replacement in Amendola (Jon Krafts own words he was second choice) is having a sub par year. The rooks are filling in nicely here and there but not one has consistently given good performances week to week. Even Edelman has disappeared for long stretches but at least he's shown up when no one else did (save for Gronk). What I don't get is the same people putting people "on watch" were crying about Brady locking into one WR last year but haven't cried about the same this year, talk about agendas.

As far as the article, Troy is similar to every other homer out there. Of course he's going to put a current Pat higher then a former one. Did anyone expect any different? The difference is what Edelman has done the last 2 games Welker typically did week in and week out for the Pats but given Edelman all but disappeared weeks 5-11 except for 2 decent 5 catch weeks I'd still say for consistency factor alone Edelman still isn't as good as Welker was during his time here but he certainly has made the jump compared to previous years. 

[/QUOTE]

The other phrase some use here use is "I called it".  The user is trying to say they were first to predict something that came to pass, in the jargon of a second grader.

Often they have merely stated something that is so obvious that no one else bothered and are impressed by thier own intelligence. Oh we'll, it's the Internet (obviously)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

Of course Troy Brown would take Edelman over Welkie, what else do you expect the guy to say?  Troy Brown is a Patriots. Duh!  Inside our walls Troy Brown is great.  Outside our walls he is just an average type player who did a few things good but not any one thing great, very much like Edelman.  Welkie a much better receiver.

If I am putting a team together right now and I have a choice between Welkie and Edelman, I choose Welkie.