Browner for 3/17 or Verner for 5/26?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Browner for 3/17 or Verner for 5/26?

Hmmm....

I guess size matters. Verner is younger, has played in 16 games every season of his 4 year career instead of having an impending 4 game suspension and was clearly between the 2nd and 4th best CB on the market after Revis.

But he's only 5'10"

AAV of 5.67 for Browner and 5.2 for Verner. Verner does get 14m guaranteed. Anyone know what Browner is guaranteed yet?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Re: Browner for 3/17 or Verner for 5/26?

No details have been released on his contract. Verner is an excellent CB and he would have been a very good addition, however Browner is a big dude who defends hisreciever at the line of scrimmage meaning they have to fight their way free and even that doesn't mean they will get the ball because of his length. I only hope during preseason he and Revis take the time to share their knowledge of defending in the NFL to Dennard and Ryan. It would add to their value with all the advanced metrics they would have from having played with 3 really high quality CB's in their early careers. Knowledge is key!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

I like having atleast one big corner out there.  This guy's a bruzer.  I don't care if he likes to blaze up once in a while either.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Remember the Pats were arm twisted into the 3rd year. They wanted 2 yrs only.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmot1234. Show tmot1234's posts

Wasn't Verner 4yrs $26mil?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to tmot1234's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wasn't Verner 4yrs $26mil?

[/QUOTE]

Yup, it was for 4 yrs. not 5 as the OP stated. That makes it 5.67 mil for Browner and 6.2 mil for Verner.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Why question it...I'm just very happy they got someone who is bigt, fast and can cover....the smash mouth hitting is a huge PLUS, PLUS, PLUS...No problem at all with what they've done here...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I like Browner over Verner.  Verner is just a small guy, not nearly as strong or physical compared to the massive Browner.  I love this addition.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Verner is a good football player, but Browner is a beast. He'll kick your a*s, take your name, and then come back and kick your a*s again. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Remember the Pats were arm twisted into the 3rd year. They wanted 2 yrs only.

[/QUOTE]

A good problem to have IMO.  I'm glad they forced the Pats to sign a good player to a longer deal.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Ok, agreed, we needed a big smashmouth guy and have some massive WR's to cover and the Julius Thomas's of the league too this season.

I got my info on his deal be 5 years off the Sports Illustrated website:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: CB Alterraun Verner — Five years, $26 million, $14 million guaranteed

The Buccaneers have to be considered one of the winners in the 2014 free agency run — not only because they shored up key positions with estimable talent, but also because they did so with some outstanding bargains. And there may be no better bargain in this free agent class than the deal given to Verner, who became one of the NFL’s best cornerbacks in 2013 after three years of development with the Tennessee Titans. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

BTW, I am going to have to say Verner may be a bit overrated.  No one knew who he was till about 6 weeks ago.  The only small CB I'd take a contract on would be Brandon Flowers.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Dennard and Ryan probably give 75% of what Verner does on the field, similar skills slightly taller guys, and they are now somewhere between 2nd-4th on the depth chart with Browner. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hmmm....

I guess size matters. Verner is younger, has played in 16 games every season of his 4 year career instead of having an impending 4 game suspension and was clearly between the 2nd and 4th best CB on the market after Revis.

But he's only 5'10"

AAV of 5.67 for Browner and 5.2 for Verner. Verner does get 14m guaranteed. Anyone know what Browner is guaranteed yet?

[/QUOTE]

Bad comparison as Browners deal most likely is for a third of the guaranteed money Verner got. He is suspended and is probably looking at an incentive based contract. I think it will be 5 or 6 million guaranteed with attainable incentives.

Verner was a good prospect CB but not proven in our system and doesn't fit the league's trend for larger D-Backs.

Browner is a typical BB addition. Add a vet with a chip on his shoulder to come in and play his azz off for us.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Verner is a good football player, but Browner is a beast. He'll kick your a*s, take your name, and then come back and kick your a*s again. 

[/QUOTE]

I wonder if he give your name back after the 2nd a*s kicking? LOL!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

BTW, I am going to have to say Verner may be a bit overrated.  No one knew who he was till about 6 weeks ago.  The only small CB I'd take a contract on would be Brandon Flowers.   

[/QUOTE]

Well maybe you didn't know who he was... but he really emerged last year after Finnegan left with an 81 tackle, 2 INT, 1 FF 1FR season;-)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I think the ponit that size matters is a good one - both in terms of the size of the corner and the size of the contract.  Both entered into the equation in my opinion.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanadianPat. Show CanadianPat's posts

Found this write up on Browner from 2011 Seahawk page .... looks like when he was coming out of Ore St. he was really highly thought of .... then sank after combine ... slow 40 (4.53) and maybe character stuff??? Regardless I like the signing ... but the salary seems high to me .... I figured they could get him for Arrington like numbers ($3/yr ... maybe 3 yrs for $10 mm) ... guess not ...

"So if he's so great, how did he end up in the CFL?  Prior to the draft, the Oregon St. product was fairly highly rated: some outlets had him rated as high as the 2nd or 3rd round.  He had a very successful college career; in two years he amassed 87 tackles (74 solo), a sack, five stops for losses, two forced fumbles, 15 pass deflections and six interceptions, one for a TD. He was heralded for his competitive nature and physical play."

Here are what some analysts said at the time.  From ESPN.com:

Strengths: Is a big, strong, physical cornerback with upside. At his best in press man-to-man coverage. Has good overall athleticism for a big DC. Does a great job of getting a shove in at the LOS. Can matchup extremely well versus bigger receivers. Is tough and physical. Has long arms and good leaping ability. Wins jump-ball battles on a consistent basis. Will fill hard in run support and has good size/strength in that facet of the game.
    Weaknesses: Is still a bit raw. Is a bit inconsistent with his footwork and hand-placement. Has marginal top-end speed. Lacks ideal COD skills and hip fluidity to stay with the double move versus quicker WR's. Also is better in tight man coverage than when giving a cushion. Lacks ideal ball skills. Needs to improve his consistency as an open-field tackler. May need to move to FS in the NFL.
    Overall: Browner redshirted in 2002 before stepping in as a fulltime starter at cornerback in 2003, when he finished with 44 total tackles, six interceptions and another six passes broken up. As a redshirt sophomore in 2004, teams started to throw away from him more. Browner started all 12 games and finished with 46 tackles, one sack, zero interceptions and nine passes broken up. Browner, who elected to leave school early for the 2005 NFL draft, is still somewhat unpolished, he needs to improve his tackling skills and he also has poor top-end speed. However, Browner is worth taking a chance on in the second round because he has exceptional size, is a decent athlete for his size, and has the strength and confidence to hold up on an island. Some think his best fit in the NFL will be at FS but we think it would be a mistake not to at least give him a couple of years of experience at cornerback before making a move. Browner would be an ideal fit in a press-man scheme like the one the Eagles' employ, but he also could be a good fit in a cover-2 zone scheme if he is given time to learn and is coached well. Regardless, we think he can develop into a starting cornerback in the NFL.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Don't get me wrong, I am very excited about our secondary, it is going to be incredible.

I just feel the team could have been a little more aggressive in cutting/extending and restructuring guys before day 1 of free agency and then a little more willing to go 4-5 years on some of these contracts with the way the cap is going to go up last crazy in the next few years right as Brady's cap # goes way down.

Had we given Vince an extension offer (like 3/15 with 8-9 guaranteed) instead of asking for a restructure... but told him if he didn't accept it by the first day of free agency he'd be cut... then the team would have been in a much better position cash wise when free agency started. Also extensions for Ghost and McCourty, cutting Wilson and restructures for Connolly and Kelly we'd have had close to 30 million in space.

If they had done that all right away I feel this team could've had:

Red Bryant for 4/20 (or a happy Wilfork for 3/15).

Verner for say 5/30 (Yes it was a 4 year deal at 26)

Arthur Jones or LaMarr Houston for 5/35

Malcolm Jenkins or Mike Mitchell for 4/20

AND

Browner for 4/20 (420 is a good contract # for him)

and Edelman, Blount and Hooman back

With the way the money could have been spread out years 2,3,4 and even 5 on some of those above names and #'s they could have had all of that with just 23-25 million in cap space that would have been created getting deals done with the guys on the roster. Still had cash for rookies and an emergency cut or injury situation.

Of course we wouldn't have Revis;-)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

[QUOTE]

Ok, agreed, we needed a big smashmouth guy and have some massive WR's to cover and the Julius Thomas's of the league too this season.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: CB Alterraun Verner — Five years, $26 million, $14 million guaranteed

The Buccaneers have to be considered one of the winners in the 2014 free agency run — not only because they shored up key positions with estimable talent, but also because they did so with some outstanding bargains. And there may be no better bargain in this free agent class than the deal given to Verner, who became one of the NFL’s best cornerbacks in 2013 after three years of development with the Tennessee Titans. 

[/QUOTE]

My info came from ESPN, yours is probably correct!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

My info came from ESPN, yours is probably correct!

[/QUOTE]

NFL.com also has it @4yrs-$26.5 Mil

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Getzo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well maybe you didn't know who he was... but he really emerged last year after Finnegan left with an 81 tackle, 2 INT, 1 FF 1FR season;-)

[/QUOTE]

Don't lose my point.  When I say no one knew who he was 6 weeks ago- that has a lot of truth to it.  You may watch a lot of football, and I saw some clips of the guy throughout the year.  

He came on last year, and had one solid season after starting for just 2 seasons  He has improved each year, and has stayed healthy.  These are factors in signing someone to a multi-year deal with lots of guaranteed money.  True.

I'm just saying he become a big hit at the end of the year and now for free agency. Maybe he will be utilized to his strengths in Tampa with Lovie, but he is going to a new system with a new coach.  

IMO, he became a sexy topic.  This reminds me of a lot of the Derek Cox signing of last year.  I simple stated he was only known for the last 6 week, so I wouldn't have to write this entire post.  I was hoping for the benefit of the doubt with my comment (guy really came out of no where with one great season).  I wouldn't take anything away from the young man, but he has a lot of hype IMO.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Verner is pretty much an exclusive cover 2 CB...which of course is Lovies forte and what the Buc's will play exclusively. BB doesn't play much cover 2. He wants his Cb's to be able to play man, jam at the los and tackle....it is physically demanding, and verner has neither the size or ability to excel in this defense...

would have been a big mistake going after Verner unless BB was going to change his defense, which he isn't....

I am not new to jumping on the band wagon...I was pushing for Revis when he was leaving the Jets...but after Revis, IMO Talib was the 1A option for this defense, bar none....

I am pretty pleased with the addition of browner...I really like the defensive backfield  at this point....

the S's are going to be asked to do a lot of different things with Spikes and Gregory not on the team, and I wonder if these cb's give more credence to TWilsons skills...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Verner is pretty much an exclusive cover 2 CB...which of course is Lovies forte and what the Buc's will play exclusively. BB doesn't play much cover 2. He wants his Cb's to be able to play man, jam at the los and tackle....it is physically demanding, and verner has neither the size or ability to excel in this defense...

would have been a big mistake going after Verner unless BB was going to change his defense, which he isn't....

I am not new to jumping on the band wagon...I was pushing for Revis when he was leaving the Jets...but after Revis, IMO Talib was the 1A option for this defense, bar none....

I am pretty pleased with the addition of browner...I really like the defensive backfield  at this point....

the S's are going to be asked to do a lot of different things with Spikes and Gregory not on the team, and I wonder if these cb's give more credence to TWilsons skills...

[/QUOTE]

Tavon Wilson will be cut this year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Tavon Wilson will be cut this year.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe, but as of today isn't he the 3rd guy on the depth chart at S and arent he and Slater the only 2 on the roster that play all 4 ST groupings? For $1M against the cap, that's a pretty versatile player.

with Revis on the roster, and Spikes off the roster, I would assume the SS will be asked to play a lot different this year. Not cover as much as support the run and hopefully rush to QB. That should play to Wilson's strength.